Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

It is kind of weird that one of Marvel's most popular humor characters is a suicidal, cancer-ridden rape victim mass murderer who used to torture his loved ones due to control issues and unknowingly murdered his parents.

I was just thinking about the changes Deadpool's gone through since Marvel started aiming for a broader audience. I guess that's a downside of popularity, like turning Wolverine into the X-Men's protagonist and clean cut hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't think it's a result of any policy so much as it is his popularity meaning a bunch of pretty crummy writers got their hands on him for a long time, and few of them were able or willing to deal with the Joe Kelly aspects of him.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

It is kind of weird that one of Marvel's most popular humor characters is a suicidal, cancer-ridden rape victim mass murderer who used to torture his loved ones due to control issues and unknowingly murdered his parents.

Uh...Que? Literal, sexual assault rape, or more metaphorical "body was abused/tortured/vivisected against his will in the name of science" rape? I mean, neither one is good, but I find the second one a lot more likely.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CzarChasm posted:

Uh...Que? Literal, sexual assault rape, or more metaphorical "body was abused/tortured/vivisected against his will in the name of science" rape? I mean, neither one is good, but I find the second one a lot more likely.

Rape by deception, basically.

During the Kelly Deadpool run, in his attempt to prove to himself that he could be a better person, he decided to take Typhoid Mary under his wing and see if he could turn her life around for the better. It went really badly. Sometime after that, Deadpool was going through some personal crisis stuff and sought out Siryn, who was his will-they-won't-they love interest. She was in the middle of some old fashion mutant persecution with whatever X-team she was on at the time and yelled at him a bunch. Later that night, Deadpool was drinking alone and Siryn showed up to apologize, profess her love and sleep with him. In the morning, Deadpool realized it was Typhoid Mary using an image inducer and she explained that she did it simply because she could.

They played up his reaction shockingly straight. He was clearly traumatized and it sent him further over the edge.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think it's a result of any policy so much as it is his popularity meaning a bunch of pretty crummy writers got their hands on him for a long time, and few of them were able or willing to deal with the Joe Kelly aspects of him.

I'm willing to bet that as he got more popular in the back half of the 00s editorial was insistent on less of the heavy Kelly-style stuff unless it was twee bullshit like having him jerk off Kid Apocalypse for a night or not taking a paycheck with X-Force.

Gavok posted:

During the Kelly Deadpool run, in his attempt to prove to himself that he could be a better person, he decided to take Typhoid Mary under his wing and see if he could turn her life around for the better. It went really badly. Sometime after that, Deadpool was going through some personal crisis stuff and sought out Siryn, who was his will-they-won't-they love interest. She was in the middle of some old fashion mutant persecution with whatever X-team she was on at the time and yelled at him a bunch. Later that night, Deadpool was drinking alone and Siryn showed up to apologize, profess her love and sleep with him. In the morning, Deadpool realized it was Typhoid Mary using an image inducer and she explained that she did it simply because she could.

They played up his reaction shockingly straight. He was clearly traumatized and it sent him further over the edge.

See, this is super duper hosed up, but this is closer to the Deadpool I enjoy. Not dark for darkness' sake, but using the characters and tools available to deliver pathos you just plain are never ever going to see in a mainstream book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

It was especially hosed up since Deadpool had just saved Mary from Daredevil, because he wanted to believe there was good in her (and in himself), only to have her repay him with a huge middle finger and a "See ya." And then she does that to him.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So, Avengers AI is insane

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
That's fukkin' hilarious. :v:

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
I'm glad to see scientist adventure Pym back, he's my favorite version.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh boy do I have bad news for you.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

mind the walrus posted:

Oh boy do I have bad news for you.

: The Hank Pym Story

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Everybody has two things a Dr. Strange pitch and a pitch about how they are going to be the one to finally fix Hank Pym.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I thought that was a Dr. Strange pitch and a pitch about how they are going to be the one to finally fix Aquaman.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SirDan3k posted:

Everybody has two things a Dr. Strange pitch and a pitch about how they are going to be the one to finally fix Hank Pym.

Easy, replace him with MCU Pym.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Really the way to fix Hank Pym is just write fun Challengers of the Unknown style stories with him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fusing him with his son then throwing him into space was probably for the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I thought that was a Dr. Strange pitch and a pitch about how they are going to be the one to finally fix Aquaman.

They figured out how to fix Aquaman.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ImpAtom posted:

They figured out how to fix Aquaman.

I was gonna say. :allears:

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Yeah, I like Marvel's Hercules too.

You know, not for nothing, but how many people actually read PAD's Aquaman? I see people referring to it as "grimdark," when it really really wasn't. It had the same style and tone as his Hulk run, including funny one-liners.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

:hf: my man.

Dario the Wop posted:

You know, not for nothing, but how many people actually read PAD's Aquaman? I see people referring to it as "grimdark," when it really really wasn't. It had the same style and tone as his Hulk run, including funny one-liners.

Because all most people know about it was Arthur got his hand chewed off by pirhanas then ditched his goofy orange shirt for a 90s X-Treme outfit complete with Pretty Princess seashell headband (seriously wtf was anyone thinking with the headband?).

Ghostlight posted:

Really the way to fix Hank Pym is just write fun Challengers of the Unknown style stories with him.

Yes but this would make sense and despite repeated attempts to do so since the mid-80s it never seems to loving take.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 10, 2016

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

mind the walrus posted:

complete with Pretty Princess seashell headband (seriously wtf was anyone thinking with the headband?).
That was post-PAD Erik Larsen run, which was full-on tongue-in-cheek and goofy. Although that run did give us Lagoon Boy.

I wanna clarify I'm not mad or anything, think whatever you want, but the PAD run is my favorite Aquaman run, and it's a shame to see so many people who seem to be open-minded and nonjudgmental being so... well... judgmental and close-minded. :)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The PAD run is the only run of Aquaman most people even know, although I liked Busiek's game effort to upend the table during One Year Later. That version is still my favorite Aquaman costume by a mile.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Agreed!

I do like that the PAD Aquaman seems to be the basis for the BvS costume design.

For content, have some more Aquaman:

Aquaman #5 (New 52)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oddly those last 3 pages do more to illustrate Aquaman's badass qualities than every single "hey Aquaman can summon Cthullu :smug:" or "I'm king of 2/3rds of the world :smug:" or other Geoff Johns "I'm gonna stare badass and hit things hard like every other hero to show how uniquely badass I am :smug:" attempt to make Aquaman seem hardcore that I've seen.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dario the Wop posted:

I wish Marvel's Hercules was like that now. Why'd they have to go and make him boring?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SirDan3k posted:

Maybe that's the secret Marvel Writer's entrance exam.

"OK, remember Secret Invasion? Hank's been a Skrull since 1960. It was a Skrull that hit Janet. Real Hank gets back to earth because Silver Surfer finds him."
"Great. Love it. You're hired"
"Cool. When can I do that story?"
"Oh no, we aren't going to publish that story. That was just a test."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Real Hank has been stuck in the microverse since his first experiments with Pym Particles. He was replaced by an early model of Ultron that he was using for deviant sexual purposes. That's why he's seemed socially maladjusted all these years.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hank died in Tales to Astonish #27, all this time he's been an ant that thought he was Hank Pym.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Due to a wacky science experiment, Hank unleashes unstable Pym Particles into the atmosphere. Now all over the world, people are developing strange powers at random and due to the instability of the particles, these powers are manifesting in all sorts of crazy ways instead of just being growing and shrinking.

As a side effect though, we learn the Pym Particles are lethal to mutants and people exposed to the Pym Particles will never be able to have mutant children, thus putting mutants on the verge of extinction!

I expect my first check to arrive by Wednesday, Marvel.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

[Antman #1]

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

DrProsek posted:

Due to a wacky science experiment, Hank unleashes unstable Pym Particles into the atmosphere. Now all over the world, people are developing strange powers at random and due to the instability of the particles, these powers are manifesting in all sorts of crazy ways instead of just being growing and shrinking.

As a side effect though, we learn the Pym Particles are lethal to mutants and people exposed to the Pym Particles will never be able to have mutant children, thus putting mutants on the verge of extinction!

I expect my first check to arrive by Wednesday, Marvel.

Um...

Terrigen Bomb...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ghostlight posted:

[Antman #1]

Because Hank hadn't been shat on enough ALREADY.

It is funny, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

What are you talking about? Cap just said he's the finest man he's ever known! :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm pretty sure I've posted it here before, but at this point the biggest problem with Hank Pym is that they keep trying to fix Hank Pym. It's been done. Multiple times. Including in the original story which no one remembers anything about except that he hit Jan.

Also, Hank Pym is kidnapped by Janet and tortured over the course of weeks. Eventually he escapes but lies about what happened to him in order to protect her. The reason Janet does this is because when she fell, she hit her womanly parts too hard and can no longer make babies.

On second though, I don't really want that job at Marvel.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

[Antman #1]

After this I'm kind-of surprised they don't go the full 10 yards and just make Hank the first openly autistic B-lister at Marvel.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Ferrule posted:

Um...

Terrigen Bomb...

:thejoke:

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Oh. Sorry.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

It is funny, though.
I legitimately think that Hank Pym is one of the best characters in Marvel, and part of that is because he's a superhero that is just shat on constantly - in universe and by readers - but despite depression and an inferiority complex he just keeps on super-science trucking. The only times he doesn't work is when a writer decides they need to rehabilitate (or in the case of Ultimate/alternatives just emphasise the gently caress out of) him being thought of as a physically abusive husband despite having hit his wife fewer times than Reed Richards or Peter Parker.

He's quintessentially a 'Marvel' character in that his story isn't just inventing poo poo that makes his dick bigger as compensation, it's his struggle to be a hero despite being haunted by his past. Removing that past and struggle just makes him a boring shrinkyman that rightfully needs to be succeeded by - get this - a criminal trying to be a hero despite being haunted by his past.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ghostlight posted:

[Antman #1]
I remember that they did this in the Marvel Avengers Alliance game, where Tony just constantly shits on him for every little mistake