Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Hey goons!

Just bought an Adeptus Mechanicus starter kit with Tech Priest Dominus, Skitarii, and Onager Dunecrawler.

And recommendations as to how best equip these guys as a legal army?

Also is there any way to use this army as proxy in Horus Heresy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BuffaloChicken posted:

The pictures are a little washed out (apparently my phone lens was fogged and I didn't notice). Also noticed a few tiny final things needed (highlight Taurox gunner's bandana, paint silver on the Taurox door hinges, and a bit of blacklining on the power loader gun), but overall I'm happy with them.

drat it, stop making me want to buy a Taurox so I can make it into an MRAP for my Scions or Guardsmen. :mad:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hackjack posted:

Hey goons!

Just bought an Adeptus Mechanicus starter kit with Tech Priest Dominus, Skitarii, and Onager Dunecrawler.

Just using the box? Separate the Skitarii into two 5 man squads, one Vanguard and one Rangers. For the Rangers you'll want to give them the Transarabic Arquebii and give the Vanguard Plasma Culvarians. I generally give the Techpriest the Eradication Beamer and I'd advise magnetising the Onager so you can use all the options in the box (except the Phosphex Blaster, it's kinda crap compared to the Neutron Laser/Eradication Ray/Icarus Array).
When you expand you'll need to get a pair of Kataphron squads so you can run a legal Cult Mech detatchment and another box of Skitarii Rangers/Vanguard to bring your existing squads up to max size. From there I'd go for some Kastellan Robots, another Onager or two, some Sydonian Dragoons and maybe some Sicarian Ruststalkers/Infiltrators.

As for using them as proxies, the Tech Priest makes a great (Arch)Magos and the Skitarii can be used as comparitively cheap Tech-Thralls. Gonna have to get a bit clever with proxying the Dunecrawler though, maybe as a Thallax?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Thallax are cyborgs on 40mm base, there really isn't a current unit that it could be that I could think of besides maybe a krios tank, since it's too short for a thanatar.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

drat it, stop making me want to buy a Taurox so I can make it into an MRAP for my Scions or Guardsmen. :mad:
By our powers combined, we will make someone else buy that lovable little Tonka truck. Happy to finally see your Taurox done, Buffchix.

TTerrible posted:

Zbrush is very much like hand sculpting if you get a haptic pen thing for it. I've no idea what GW use though.
Yeah, that's what a lot of, if not what most other companies are using. Most of Prodos' renders and concepts are even in that default ZBrush terracotta color. Also, much like handsculpting and regular 3D modeling, I'm awful at it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hencoe posted:

Thallax are cyborgs on 40mm base, there really isn't a current unit that it could be that I could think of besides maybe a krios tank, since it's too short for a thanatar.

Yeah, bit of a tricky situation. Krios would be the best shot.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

By our powers combined, we will make someone else buy that lovable little Tonka truck. Happy to finally see your Taurox done, Buffchix.

I'll probably just buy one and a wheel kit once my first paycheck drops in. (Hooray for temp jobs.) It's either that or one of the big Marvel Legendary expansions. Haven't gotten much out of Warhammer Conquest yet so I'm holding off on buying expansions for it.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Cooked Auto posted:

Roll a D6 whenever it changes directions, on a six it wrecks.

Also, Buffchix stuff is amazing...*slurp slurp*

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Ghost Hand posted:

Where is this coming from?

Sad Panda, who's pretty much the only one batting 1000 about future stuff since Lords of War closed up shop. Looks like I was a little fatalistic about CSM, but still no codex:

quote:

PENDING Chaos Rumors - Dec 2015
via Sad Panda in response to this..
"I'm willing to bet that we won't see a CSM release in 2016. In fact, I'm willing to be wearing a Maple Leafs jersey for an entire week! (and I say this as a die hard Habs fan)"

If you think of a full new CSM Codex 7th Ed. with a full overhaul of rules and/or models, you're probably right.

If you mean absolutely nothing for Chaos Marines, you'll be wrong.

It is true that 2016 will have (among other things) a (mostly AoS) Tzeentch-theme running through it, similar to how 2015 had Khorne.

The reason there likely won't be a Tzeentch Daemonkin, is because GW is doing possible cross-overs a bit more deliberately than the written-over-a-weekend KDK.

That said, just about the only thing in a fairly impressive pipeline of (mostly AoS) Tzeentch that is NOT ready or even sculpted yet, is the LoC. If he comes, he'll be the tail end, possibly as late as 2017, not the kick-off to Tzeentch the way the Bloodthirster was for Khorne.

via Sad Panda in response to the time frame for new Rubrics
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/150/672440.page#8315612
Feel free to enjoy the summer of '16 before checking back. Minimum. We're talking the long game. 

PENDING Release Schedule Rumors - Dec 2015
If you think of a full new CSM Codex 7th Ed. with a full overhaul of rules and/or models, you're probably right.

If you mean absolutely nothing for Chaos Marines, you'll be wrong.

It is true that 2016 will have (among other things) a (mostly AoS) Tzeentch-theme running through it, similar to how 2015 had Khorne.

The reason there likely won't be a Tzeentch Daemonkin, is because GW is doing possible cross-overs a bit more deliberately than the written-over-a-weekend KDK.

That said, just about the only thing in a fairly impressive pipeline of (mostly AoS) Tzeentch that is NOT ready or even sculpted yet, is the LoC. If he comes, he'll be the tail end, possibly as late as 2017, not the kick-off to Tzeentch the way the Bloodthirster was for Khorne. 

PENDING Space Wolf Rumors/ PENDING Dwarf Rumors - Nov 2015
Yes.

Tyranids in January is nonsense. Fyreslayers. TRUE 
Imp. Guard in February is nonsense. Space Wolves.

Not counting possible 1-week things (think Seraphon), only multi-week releases. 

Thanks for the new episode by the way!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

TheChirurgeon posted:

So, two things:

1. gently caress the Fire Raptor model. This thing is goddamn garbage and a pain in the rear end to assemble.

2. I'd be pretty satisfied if they just put out a campaign supplement with Chaos this year that had a new formation detachment for the existing list. I could live with that. Hey, I know! Maybe they could make this one CSMs/Daemons vs. Grey Knights and SoB and service 4 armies that desperately need it at once. Hahahahaha just kidding that will never happen

e: Meant to say Fire Raptor

Did you get your Fire Raptor from the communists? Mine went together pretty nicely and FW was happy to replace the components that snapped/chipped during shipping.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hackjack posted:

Hey goons!

Doesn't it come with a formation so you can use it as a legal army?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sulecrist posted:

Did you get your Fire Raptor from the communists? Mine went together pretty nicely and FW was happy to replace the components that snapped/chipped during shipping.

No, actually--this one I bought from Forgeworld directly. Compared to the Communist dreadclaws and kharybdis I ordered, the amount of miscasting and warping was the same, only with the need to scrub and clean every bit before assembly. I really, really want to support Forgeworld, but it's hard to do that when the competition actually offers what I feel is a superior product.

Anyways, here's the assembled monster. I'm still working on conversion bits to make it look all Chaos as gently caress:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Sad Panda, who's pretty much the only one batting 1000 about future stuff since Lords of War closed up shop. Looks like I was a little fatalistic about CSM, but still no codex:

Thanks for the new episode by the way!

Well poo poo.

As far as the episode goes... I would just say .. don't unsubscribe from our feed just yet :P

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

<RUMORS>

Yeah reading those was crazy demoralizing for me. I figured there was no way Chaos wouldn't get a new codex this year. Ugh

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Ghost Hand posted:

Well poo poo.

As far as the episode goes... I would just say .. don't unsubscribe from our feed just yet :P

When I saw the last one pop up, I made an appropriately manly noise and did not flap my hands about.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Squifferific posted:

When I saw the last one pop up, I made an appropriately manly noise and did not flap my hands about.

It's nice that post cancelation ICs are putting out more episodes than the Overlords are.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's nice that post cancelation ICs are putting out more episodes than the Overlords are.

Overlords are up to episode 180, but their feed got stuck at 177 or something. I just double checked myself the other day and found 3 more episodes that my phone didn't pick up on at first, I had to re add the XML.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Technowolf posted:

Doesn't it come with a formation so you can use it as a legal army?

Seriously though when are they gonna release these new formations? I really want to try out the IG one.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The formations are in the boxes.

Squifferific posted:

Overlords are up to episode 180, but their feed got stuck at 177 or something. I just double checked myself the other day and found 3 more episodes that my phone didn't pick up on at first, I had to re add the XML.

Oh, weird. Thanks!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah reading those was crazy demoralizing for me. I figured there was no way Chaos wouldn't get a new codex this year. Ugh

I don't know how you've held out so long. 30k has scratched me legion itch and I don't plan to look back at 40k. It just really sucks playing an army that the company doesn't care to support.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't know how you've held out so long. 30k has scratched me legion itch and I don't plan to look back at 40k. It just really sucks playing an army that the company doesn't care to support.

Yeah same. I pretty much abandoned 40k.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

My group doesn't play 30k, and it's a much larger investment than 40k.

Related note, I got in a game this past weekend against my friend's Necrons, 2,000 points! This dude's Necrons are notoriously difficult to kill so coming into the game I was thinking about new strategies I could try to improve my chances of not being tabled. In this case, I decided to field the Kranon's Helgard detachment from the dataslate they released a while back. It gives any enemy unit within 12" of one unit in the formation -1 Ld, and -1 BS if they are within 12" of 2+ units in the formation. Seemed like a good way to stop Necrons from housing my poo poo, so I took it. Here's the army I ran:

Helgard Formation Detachment
- Chaos Lord w/Jump Pack and L. Claws
- 2 units of Cultists
- 1 unit of Chosen w/VotLW (5 barebones models, formation tax)
- 1 unit of Terminators w/Reaper, Power Swords (5)
- 1 Chaos Land Raider w/Dirge Caster
- 1 Unit of Raptors (9) w/2x Meltaguns

CAD Detachment
- Chaos Sorcerer (Warlord) w/Bike, Sigil of Corruption
- CSMs (10) in Rhino w/2 Meltaguns
- CSMs (10) in Rhino w/CCW
- Bikes (8) w/Melta and Plasma
- Heldrake

The mission we played was The Relic, where there's just one objective in the middle of the board and the player who controls it at the end of the game gets 3 VPs (and usually wins). My opponent was playing a Decurion plus the "Conclave of the Burning One" formation. His jam is basically making his units as hard to kill as possible, which is crazy annoying when you are trying to kill units with a 3+ invuln and a 4+ RP. Still, it was a close game, and the Helguard put in some real work, keeping my units alive for far longer than they'd have otherwise normally survived. I made an early push for the objective, only to be blown off it by his bikes. My sorcerer and Raptors got tied up on one side of the board by a couple of Praetorian squads, where I then rolled like poo poo for 4 consecutive turns, leaving them alive long enough for the C'Tan to hit up the combat and clean house.

Things took a turn when he destroyed the baleflamer on my Heldrake, killed my terminators and warlord, and snagged the objective with a bike. Fortunately, I was able to kill the bike with a vector strike, then snagged the Relic, dumped it into the Land Raider, and took off. The game went to 7 turns, but there was nothing he could do on turn 7 to catch up with me as he had already used his Veil to deep strike his Lychguard closer to combat with my (now dead) Warlord. Final Score: Chaos 6, Necrons 2.

Here are some highlights:

Turn 1. I ran my bikes up the side of the battlefield, while pushing everything else to the objective. My strategy was to use the Land Raider and Terminators as tough-to-kill locus points for the formation bonus, along with the Raptors. This worked pretty well. Also, I've been working on terrain for my apartment, and this was the first game I've played with the new table complete:

Cultists and Chosen run toward the objective (the big crystal), while Raptors sneak around a building:

Meanwhile the Sorcerer and his bike squad pulled 'round the side, hoping to wreck house. Instead, they spent a shitload of turns whiffing against praetorians. Seriously, not even getting hits. Not failing to wound, or getting RP rolls, they just didn't hit.

The Heldrake showed up on Turn 2 and put in some real work, killing a few bikes and wiping out a squad of warriors.

These terminators housed a squad of Immortals before getting their asses handed to them by a single Necron overlord. My CC rolls were rear end this game. Shooting went well, though.

Me using Rhinos like an rear end in a top hat

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

Seriously though when are they gonna release these new formations? I really want to try out the IG one.

The Start Collecting! boxes are up on GW's webstore. I don't know if they'll release the formations seperately, but I found some online here.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Those Necron rules are just terrible. Imagine a new player who is playing one of the other starter boxes against it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It's not that bad in a vacuum but the IG, Tau and Mechanicum ones are just lol.

Didn't even realise they came with formations when I bought it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Do the Daemon starter boxes only come with AoS formation rules?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Do the Daemon starter boxes only come with AoS formation rules?

Looks that way.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So that game store I checked out in Prague was awesome. It was underground but clean, well lit, had everything imaginable for hams (full ranges of models, some direct only stuff, novels, audiodramas, all kindsa stuff) as well as tons of model and game support for Dystopian Wars/Legions, the Halo fleet battles game, Dropzone Commander, and anything else you could really think of. They had some old prints of Warhammer art and some great armies on display. I'll post some pictures when I'm home, but if I had my army I'd love to play there.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I am thinking of getting into the hobby again, (I played back in 3rd), and a buddy gave me a bunch of his old Iyanden models. Looking at what I got, and trying to limit spending, I am trying to put together a list that won't make people hate me, but still works, since it looks like Iyanden got a buff since I last played with them.

Does this list look ok? I am new to the formation thing, and I'd have to pick up a WraithKnight,, but I think I can swing it.

Wraith Host 1382 points
SpiritSeer /w rune armor, witch staff, pistol. Picks powers from Telepathy
Wraithguard x6 w/ D-Scythes, in a wave serpent with twin brightlance, shiruken cannon, spirit stones, and a holofield
WraithBlades x5 with Axe and Shield (footslogging with the seer nearby)
WraithBlades x9 with Axe and Shield (footslogging with seer nearby)
Wraithlord w/ 2 flamers, ghostglaive, brightlance
Wraithknight w/ ghostglave, shield, two star cannons (thinking of swapping to scatter lasers for hordes)

Combined Arms Detachment 452 points
Farseer w/ bike, singing spear, rune armor, ghost helm, . Picks powers from Runes of Fate (joins one unit of windriders)
Windriders x3 w/ warlock (rune armor, pistol, singing spear)
Farseer w/ bike, singing spear, rune armor, ghost helm, . Picks powers from Runes of Fate (joins one unit of windriders)

Total Points is 1849

The general idea is to slog it toward the enemy with the wraithblades, lord, and knight. The spiritseer chills nearby to buff the lord and knight. Farseers and his buddies fly around securing objectives, buffing units, and generally being a nuisance. Wraithguard in the serpent flies toward something scary and flames it, then dares things to charge it back. (They can wall of death overwatch thing with D-Scythes, right?)

Would this list work? Am I doing formations right? I have another Wraithlord and 12 guardians with a brightlance turret, if I need to sub something out.

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Chirurgeon,

I'm consciously blocking out the information you provided and hoping you're totally wrong, while I weep.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I am thinking of getting into the hobby again, (I played back in 3rd), and a buddy gave me a bunch of his old Iyanden models. Looking at what I got, and trying to limit spending, I am trying to put together a list that won't make people hate me, but still works, since it looks like Iyanden got a buff since I last played with them.

Does this list look ok? I am new to the formation thing, and I'd have to pick up a WraithKnight,, but I think I can swing it.

Wraith Host 1382 points
SpiritSeer /w rune armor, witch staff, pistol. Picks powers from Telepathy
Wraithguard x6 w/ D-Scythes, in a wave serpent with twin brightlance, shiruken cannon, spirit stones, and a holofield
WraithBlades x5 with Axe and Shield (footslogging with the seer nearby)
WraithBlades x9 with Axe and Shield (footslogging with seer nearby)
Wraithlord w/ 2 flamers, ghostglaive, brightlance
Wraithknight w/ ghostglave, shield, two star cannons (thinking of swapping to scatter lasers for hordes)

Combined Arms Detachment 452 points

Total Points is 1849

The general idea is to slog it toward the enemy with the wraithblades, lord, and knight. The spiritseer chills nearby to buff the lord and knight. Farseers and his buddies fly around securing objectives, buffing units, and generally being a nuisance. Wraithguard in the serpent flies toward something scary and flames it, then dares things to charge it back. (They can wall of death overwatch thing with D-Scythes, right?)

Would this list work? Am I doing formations right? I have another Wraithlord and 12 guardians with a brightlance turret, if I need to sub something out.

You are doing formations correct, yes.

I would consider not using the CC version of Wraithguard as CC is universally not great in the current 40k incarnation. Windriders are amazing with Scatter Lasers, consider reducing the size of your large WG unit to give them all scatter lasers and then give one of your Farseers the Spirit Stone. Your Wave Serpent has one purpose and one purpose only. To get those D-Scythes into the heart of the enemy. I wouldn't waste the points on Bright Lances or Shuriken Cannons. Holofields are iffy since you can just jink it. Consider what you want your Wraithlord to do, it'll have battle focus so it can move quickly for combat so your glaive is useful, however, a single Bright Lance may not be as useful as you think. You can put a second Bright Lance on it which will give you a little more use for vehicle killing and get more benefit from your Spiritseer. Alternatively, you could stack two Starcannons for elite infantry killing (but your WG have that covered) or two Scatter Lasers for additional S6 mass fire out there. S6 is a pretty great strength, honestly.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Boon posted:

You are doing formations correct, yes.

I would consider not using the CC version of Wraithguard as CC is universally not great in the current 40k incarnation. Windriders are amazing with Scatter Lasers, consider reducing the size of your large WG unit to give them all scatter lasers and then give one of your Farseers the Spirit Stone. Your Wave Serpent has one purpose and one purpose only. To get those D-Scythes into the heart of the enemy. I wouldn't waste the points on Bright Lances or Shuriken Cannons. Holofields are iffy since you can just jink it. Consider what you want your Wraithlord to do, it'll have battle focus so it can move quickly for combat so your glaive is useful, however, a single Bright Lance may not be as useful as you think. You can put a second Bright Lance on it which will give you a little more use for vehicle killing and get more benefit from your Spiritseer. Alternatively, you could stack two Starcannons for elite infantry killing (but your WG have that covered) or two Scatter Lasers for additional S6 mass fire out there. S6 is a pretty great strength, honestly.

Thanks for the feedback! My worry with the WraithKnight was staying alive, so I gave him an invulnerable save with the shield. The suncannon seemed kind of meh compared to the other guns it can take.

Hmm, if I drop one wraithblade in the big unit, and some upgrades on the serpent, I should be able to afford the scatter lasers on the windriders.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

It's almost like the starter box formations are meant to be played without points. I wonder where that idea crept in from. I wonder if we'll see more of that in 40k (we will)... :)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Are we really that mad that a starter box comes with a formation to play with right away?

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Star Man posted:

Are we really that mad that a starter box comes with a formation to play with right away?

I like it a lot, actually!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Star Man posted:

On one hand, no.

On the other hand, more rules bloat.

On the other, other hand, you don't need formations in the starter boxes because of unbound. Just include a note in the box you can add this to your existing army or you can play it against other starter boxes.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

KuangMkV posted:

It's almost like the starter box formations are meant to be played without points. I wonder where that idea crept in from. I wonder if we'll see more of that in 40k (we will)... :)

I see I could've gotten the new terminator captain without buying Strike Force Ultra.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Or the starter boxes could be legal starter armies... with an HQ, 2 troops and maybe something else, rather than adding More formations with free bonuses to the game.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Whilst not 100% on the mark I feel the starter boxes are closer to what is needed that some of the previous GW 'starter' releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Instead of making the rules better for new players they just threw formations ontop of what exists and made things more complicated.

• Locked thread