Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheDK posted:

Good duo-Vulture ownage tonight. I think I want to go pulse laser and beam laser on my vulture but need to save a bit more.

Might work, looks like that runs the power-plant right up at 98.7%, using a gimbal 3C beam and 3E pulse. Capacitor drain will be pretty fast though I bet. 4 pips to weps can't keep the 2 pulses up, and they draw 25% less power than the beam.

Was fun joining up, even though that site went pretty dry for quite a while. Literally the moment you jumped out, a big furball with a wing of 2 and a pair of solo's (nothing big, a couple eagles and cobras I think) just sort of appeared around me. I had the FSD spooling up when the shooting started right next to me so I cancelled and shot them. :)

The Locator fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

As far as I can tell the make or break point is you need to grind reputation to get the FAS. For the FdL you just need the $$$$. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is exactly it, the FdL isn't faction-specific so any schmuck with fifty-odd million can pick one up. Meanwhile the FAS costs 19 mil base so for the cost of the stock FDL you can get a fairly nicely upgraded (if not A-graded) FAS.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Inverness posted:

Vive is geared more for room-scale experiences while Oculus targets sitting experiences. Not interested in room-scale things myself.

The Vive is just as capable as the Rift when it comes to seated experiences though? Elite is a headliner for the Vive and Steam VR and is very much a seated experience hence the comment.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm loving the FAS.

Only downside, ish, that I see is it runs warmer than the FdL did. I could do anything I wanted in the Xihe HAZRes and not overheat the FdL, but the FAS runs pretty warm.

Especially blasting the dual large beams, I get up to 110+ heat pretty quickly.

Granted, I have a 6B power plant rather than 6A, which is the only upgrade I still need to make.

Hopefully the A class will prove to be much cooler :v:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

KakerMix posted:

The Vive is just as capable as the Rift when it comes to seated experiences though? Elite is a headliner for the Vive and Steam VR and is very much a seated experience hence the comment.

I can use oculus with steamVR but it looks like 800x600 max resolution, its all blurrry

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Goodbye Robigo!

At last I can retire and give up this life of crime!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Where is a good outfitter near 63 G. Capricorni?

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Where is a good outfitter near 63 G. Capricorni?

The closest one is Xihe system, which has most of the small and medium-sized fittings, and a lot of the large ones. The closest system with a 15% discount from Li Yong Rui is LHS 20, which also has a decent selection.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Gonna laugh at this person on Reddit:

I went hunting for this so I could laugh at him (link next time plz) and Braben himself has piped in to say they'll see what they can do :(

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

WebDog posted:

Goodbye Robigo!

At last I can retire and give up this life of crime!

Is this the cancel slave mission trick? I'm new ish to elite but I've read that Frontier has modified saves before for people they deemed were "exploiting." Something like going back to a sidewinder with 1k credits. Only reason I'm staying away from Robigo.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Wozbo posted:

Is this the cancel slave mission trick? I'm new ish to elite but I've read that Frontier has modified saves before for people they deemed were "exploiting." Something like going back to a sidewinder with 1k credits. Only reason I'm staying away from Robigo.
I just did it the old fashioned way, granted I was at 30% tycoon when 1.5 hit.

Selling cargo from failed missions has been there from the start but it's is really grindy and yields less than doing the run proper.

As for Frontier resetting your save, I think that was to do with earlier glitches that made you a billionaire via refund exploits. There's rumours that well known combat loggers might get this punishment but no one has this confirmed.

Robigo is well known and the devs have acknowledged it as a viable trading method as it's quite an effort to get there and back, you won't be making billions overnight. I was doing one run a day for a good while that netted around 10 - 25 mil at best.

Robigo tips
My ship was a Python fitted out with a 242T of cargo and a fuel scoop which took about 16 jumps to reach Robigo and about 26 on the way back.
Always pick outposts. If you must, do a station last to decrease any chances of being scanned.
Check the mission times, some are bizarre like 47 minutes.
If you want slow and "legit", you can squeeze about two smuggler's runs into a large hold, this will net you around 9 - 10 million.
Else you can load up on shadow runs for about 3 - 5 million each which take up around 12T of cargo. I usually ended up with about 30 million on a successful run.

Interdictions
Most pirates just want your tasty cargo, so drop out, cool FSD and run - you might get a few dents.
Police are trickier. Drop chaff, boost and go cold, or shoot to interrupt the scan and then run - you will eat a bounty that makes things harder if you attack.
If you are still charging your FSD while being interdicted you can escape if your escape vector lines up with your jump vector.

Others suggest quitting the game when interdicted - but that might earn the ire of Frontier.

Worst case if you got scanned you still have a hold full of slaves that you can sell off at the black market or the commodities.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm on a civillian killing mission atm and I noticed that the bounty has become 12k rather than 6k.

Also, player ships count as civillians. On one hand I feel a bit guilty about shooting down what was probably a relative newbie in a cobra, on the other, I have 51 of the bastards to kill, so every little helps.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
The new premier Robigo trick that I've heard of gets something like 60 mil/ hr though; you are cancelling the missions that *arent* shadow delivery. Supposedly you also get more rep than what you lose from cancelling due to the sheer number of slaves.

E: this is what I'm talking about :

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/409yfi/how_to_do_the_newer_robigo_smuggling_were_in_the/

I'm like 95% sure this is exploit territory and don't wanna touch Robigo until it is fixed.

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 11, 2016

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Abandoning a mission and selling the cargo has always been possible, it's just that back then mission cargo used to be 5 tons of Toxic Waste instead of 160 tons of Slaves.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

i did my first robigo run yesterday and it was pretty simple, if not boring. made 15m in 2ish hours.

Is there a trick with getting the market board to give you non-poo poo jobs? it seemed like after i took 5 or so good paying shadow runs they stopped spawning and the board started giving me "haul 130T of poo poo 350 LY for 500k" jobs

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I got interdicted by an imperial clipper while I was in my eagle. Given that the rebuy was 2k I went for it because hey, the bounty on that guy must have been pretty massive. Got the NPC down to about 50% before I blew up, but I had fun while doing it. I found a nice system near goon space that has a few jovians with ring systems and a sorta earth like planet with a ring system. I need to write the name of the place down so I can remember it. It would be really nice if the game would let you make a favorites list of systems.

So a couple quick questions:

Do I need to actively use the kill warrant scanner or is it just fine to use little autoscan thing that happens when you target a ship?

For the few kbm guys, what did you guys rebind the system power distribution buttons to? I don't know their actual name but it's on the arrow keys for now.

Is a good weapon loadout to have an energy weapon for shields and a kinetic weapon for the hull? I'm noticing that anything higher than a cobra takes forever to kill.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

I'm on a civillian killing mission atm and I noticed that the bounty has become 12k rather than 6k.

Also, player ships count as civillians. On one hand I feel a bit guilty about shooting down what was probably a relative newbie in a cobra, on the other, I have 51 of the bastards to kill, so every little helps.

You monster.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

I went hunting for this so I could laugh at him (link next time plz) and Braben himself has piped in to say they'll see what they can do :(

To be fair, it's always good when a company is nice to its customers. I was always glad when I seriously hosed up in EVE and CCP stepped in to make it better, for example.

Of course if he does this again and again, I would expect Frontier to stop doing this, but if it was his first time, welp why not?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Spanish Manlove posted:

So a couple quick questions:

Do I need to actively use the kill warrant scanner or is it just fine to use little autoscan thing that happens when you target a ship?

For the few kbm guys, what did you guys rebind the system power distribution buttons to? I don't know their actual name but it's on the arrow keys for now.

Is a good weapon loadout to have an energy weapon for shields and a kinetic weapon for the hull? I'm noticing that anything higher than a cobra takes forever to kill.

Use the autoscan to see if they are wanted in the first place for NPCs. If they are wanted in the system, them use the scanner. Otherwise you're just wasting the few seconds it takes to scan them. Also wait for them to be wanted first, since if you shoot them before you know they are wanted you will get a bounty. It's a minor bounty that clears up in 7 minutes, but it's still a bounty.

I just use the arrow keys for the system power. I use almost all default bindings with only one thing changed from default.

The advantage to a beam weapon is it takes no ammo to fire. They are very effective at destroying shields. Not as good at dealing hull damage.
Cannons (including fragment) require ammo. They aren't as effective against shields, but can really hurt a hull. A cannon can be effective against enemies of a class above. So for example a Cobra with a medium cannon can damage an anaconda with full damage. Multicannons do not share this property.
Thermal kinetic, which are Railguns and the plasma accelerator are equally good against shields and hull. They are all fixed weapons.
Explosive weapons are your classic torpedos and missile launchers. Mines exist but are almost useless. All explosive weapons can do decent damage to a hull. The torpedos especially, but with a torpedo, each one costs 15k credits. Right now, explosive weapons aren't even that good. You're better off using something else in that weapon slot.
Point Defense lasers just shoot explosive weapons that are being shot at you. They aren't useful for trying to kill something.
Finally, mining weapons. Don't use these unless you are shooting a rock to mine them. They are useless otherwise. Even running from combat is better than trying to kill an enemy with a mining laser. Even the powerplay exclusive Mining Lance is useless. A C1 turreted pulse laser would be better.

Mining and beams do not use ammo. All other weapon types do. You need to go to a station that has rearm facilities to replenish your ammo, or if you have horizons you can try and find the materials to make ammo on your own. You cannot carry extra ammo in your cargo bay for example.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

IAmTheRad posted:

Use the autoscan to see if they are wanted in the first place for NPCs. If they are wanted in the system, them use the scanner. Otherwise you're just wasting the few seconds it takes to scan them. Also wait for them to be wanted first, since if you shoot them before you know they are wanted you will get a bounty. It's a minor bounty that clears up in 7 minutes, but it's still a bounty.

If they're wanted in the system and I scan them I get more money from the kill?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

If they're wanted in the system and I scan them I get more money from the kill?

The money will be somewhere else but yeah, you'll get more money

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Neat, I got the cheapest scanner I could so maybe I'll try getting a better one to make it faster. RES combat is kinda fun, I like playing cat and mouse among the rocks.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Wozbo posted:

Lol for a tycoon player, robigo gives away smuggling mission at 7m per mission, no need of any lovely "exploit" stupidity to make a fortune there. Take 3 missions, dont' get scanned and make 20+ millions in one 20 minutes trip. That's why it's pretty stupid people are abusing the poo poo of those exploit because it will potentially destroy my favorite and perfectly non-exploitative way to make money.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 11, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Angrymog posted:

Seems to vary by system. Had a very similar mission the other day where the bounty was 12k for a murder, but then another one in a system where it was only 2k.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Libluini posted:

To be fair, it's always good when a company is nice to its customers. I was always glad when I seriously hosed up in EVE and CCP stepped in to make it better, for example.

Of course if he does this again and again, I would expect Frontier to stop doing this, but if it was his first time, welp why not?

To be fair the guy wasn't being a dick, it was literally a 'laugh at how stupid I am' post and he got lucky.

It's just that I like to see the world burn at times you see :)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dabir posted:

Seems to vary by system. Had a very similar mission the other day where the bounty was 12k for a murder, but then another one in a system where it was only 2k.

Just realised it's probably due to power play. I'll see who Carmenta is owned by when I log in

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Pranav and Avril both double fines in all systems controlled or exploited by them, yeah.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Getting bored of combat again, might dust off my mining Python and go off to find some pristine metallic ring. A 2.5 millions/hour profit isn't stellar, but it isn't shabby either and will get me some more buffer since I spent most of my cash on hand for the FdL.

This is my current "cheap" build for mining, I slapped on the best components for actual mining / collecting - the 2x 5A collectors finish scooping up fragments as soon as the single medium mining laser finishes (after prospecting) - and it has basic weapons and minimal shields to fend off silly pirate Eagles and Adders - if anything significantly bigger or a wing attacks I run like hell

been thinking of improving the distributor for extra boost / weapon juice just in case, but I find that if you avoid the RES and just mine in the ring somewhere, in a system within a couple laden jumps from a refinery or high tech system there's not much risk of interdiction - would it be worth it anyways?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
If I recall you only need 9 bins in any good belt so 4B works.
Any reason not to have the class 3 cargo be another collector and run 2x class 2 mining turrets? If you up the distributor you should peter out right as the asteroid hits 0 or so and be slow boating to your next target.

E: I get like 2m+/ hr in a poo poo fit asp and I'm 50ls away from a station I sell at. Only did it to rank up trader a bit.

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 11, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wozbo posted:

If I recall you only need 9 bins in any good belt so 4B works.
Any reason not to have the class 3 cargo be another collector and run 2x class 2 mining turrets? If you up the distributor you should peter out right as the asteroid hits 0 or so and be slow boating to your next target.

E: I get like 2m+/ hr in a poo poo fit asp and I'm 50ls away from a station I sell at. Only did it to rank up trader a bit.

Yeah the 4B could work but I had the cash to spare, it's not like the extra 3 millions matter much at this stage.

Dunno, as said 1 medium lasers tends to deplete asteroids and poo poo out fragments just as fast as the 2 5A controllers (6 collectors) can do their job; so I think doubling the fragment output by adding another laser would rather outpace the extra 3A controller, and I hate waiting for collectors to finish scooping up while staring at a depleted asteroid...

Also 8 more tons of painite/platinum means about 800k if you take the time to refresh missions. Which reminds me I could be doing MUCH more money (guessing in the ballpark of 5 million/hour) if I bothered with doing that and venting lovely ores you get from that 10% painite 30% bertrandite 40% whateverite rock, but :effort:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DarthBlingBling posted:

See what they can do? Dude can take out a loan and work it off with a different ship, all within the game mechanics same as the rest of us who gently caress up. :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Except he couldn't take a loan because he lost so much.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Why do pirates keep pirating me when i have no cargo. Urgh

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh whoops I glossed over the max loan line item. :v: Give the guy a pass but how do you get to a 'Vette without learning the golden rule of Fly only what you can Replace.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
He got greedy

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

WebDog posted:

I just did it the old fashioned way, granted I was at 30% tycoon when 1.5 hit.

Selling cargo from failed missions has been there from the start but it's is really grindy and yields less than doing the run proper.

As for Frontier resetting your save, I think that was to do with earlier glitches that made you a billionaire via refund exploits. There's rumours that well known combat loggers might get this punishment but no one has this confirmed.

Robigo is well known and the devs have acknowledged it as a viable trading method as it's quite an effort to get there and back, you won't be making billions overnight. I was doing one run a day for a good while that netted around 10 - 25 mil at best.

Robigo tips
My ship was a Python fitted out with a 242T of cargo and a fuel scoop which took about 16 jumps to reach Robigo and about 26 on the way back.
Always pick outposts. If you must, do a station last to decrease any chances of being scanned.
Check the mission times, some are bizarre like 47 minutes.
If you want slow and "legit", you can squeeze about two smuggler's runs into a large hold, this will net you around 9 - 10 million.
Else you can load up on shadow runs for about 3 - 5 million each which take up around 12T of cargo. I usually ended up with about 30 million on a successful run.

Interdictions
Most pirates just want your tasty cargo, so drop out, cool FSD and run - you might get a few dents.
Police are trickier. Drop chaff, boost and go cold, or shoot to interrupt the scan and then run - you will eat a bounty that makes things harder if you attack.
If you are still charging your FSD while being interdicted you can escape if your escape vector lines up with your jump vector.

Others suggest quitting the game when interdicted - but that might earn the ire of Frontier.

Worst case if you got scanned you still have a hold full of slaves that you can sell off at the black market or the commodities.

Have a link to your loadout please?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I have a question about shooting stuff.

Which of these is cooler:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A4E4D3E5E4E3C2a2a0k--------.AwRhrSPGSA==.EwBhwRjaeqg=?bn=BH%20Vulture
http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/02A3D3D2D3D3D2C2a2a---0m----.AwRhrS2CyA==.CwBhGZQJjEEY61kA

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 12, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Don't worry about needing to fly all over the galaxy to get the money. They will only show up in Empire, Federation, or Alliance space. You won't find you got a bounty of 600 credits in a system you have never heard of. It'll just be thrown in the same pot of one of the big three factions.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Neat, I got the cheapest scanner I could so maybe I'll try getting a better one to make it faster. RES combat is kinda fun, I like playing cat and mouse among the rocks.
A 'D' rank scanner is sufficient. Sure it doesn't have as much range as your weapons, only 500m less, but in combat you aren't really going to be sending potshots at each other at 2.5km. Most of the attacks in that case will miss.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

Don't worry about needing to fly all over the galaxy to get the money. They will only show up in Empire, Federation, or Alliance space. You won't find you got a bounty of 600 credits in a system you have never heard of. It'll just be thrown in the same pot of one of the big three factions.

A 'D' rank scanner is sufficient. Sure it doesn't have as much range as your weapons, only 500m less, but in combat you aren't really going to be sending potshots at each other at 2.5km. Most of the attacks in that case will miss.

On the other side, if you take A-rank scanners, you will outrange your own weapons quite often by a silly margin. There were many cases where I pumped tons of ammunition and weapons energy into the dark empty void, without ever doing any damage. I kept wondering why all those easy shots kept missing. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Oh, I meant a D rank kill wake scanner. Generally it is not worth it to use an E rank part in any circumstance. Even if you're building for cheap price, the overall enhancement of D rank is worth the extra price.

Also an A rank kill wake scanner has insane power requirements. An A rank scanner scan let you scan quite far, but if your draw distance is far enough in a RES, you can see lasers shooting off in the distance and just fly there to shoot the wanted people there.

I do not recommend doing a RES in an anarchy system. It just is a waste of time to check every single enemy to see if they have a bounty so you can scan them. Even if they do have one, they will still show up as 'LAWLESS' just like everything else there.

• Locked thread