Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't know, I just tried it and Joker beat me pretty easily. I have phoenix and g buster and my best insectoid augments on.

You need some XX accuracy augs too or you'll whiff your hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You need some XX accuracy augs too or you'll whiff your hits.

Ah. Well, I cant make any of those so I think I'll have settle for easier enemies if I want to power level more.

Sustentacular
Aug 27, 2011
WOO HOO! WE JUST KILLED TELETHIA PLUME DEAD! Wish I hadn't sold most of his parts for tickets since it wouls have gotten me more emeralds.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Calaveron posted:

Ok, let's go with it having a decent story that was very well executed, supported by its incredibly inventive setting.
(I'm not disparaging XCX's settings as they are twice as pretty as XC's but man having the game take place on the body of two giants was really cool)

Xenoblade was definitely a better game. Or at least a better RPG. This one is way more anime for longer which can get a bit grating but it is also hurt by the open world part of it.
I just don't feel like I'm progressing the game when I'm progressing the story, if that makes sense!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Sustentacular posted:

WOO HOO! WE JUST KILLED TELETHIA PLUME DEAD! Wish I hadn't sold most of his parts for tickets since it wouls have gotten me more emeralds.

Wait, the parts do something besides giving you tickets?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Ah. Well, I cant make any of those so I think I'll have settle for easier enemies if I want to power level more.
Kill pigs where the game starts, or anywhere there's packs of pigs, that's just the first I remember.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Specifically, you need to remove their asses. Suid rectums are a very versatile resource on Mira, apparently.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I know Xenoblade hasn't really "made it" because there isn't any fan art of Cross showing up with big dripping bags of pig butts and fly wings asking the AM terminal to make them a star.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Final Menace is below half RP with 7 days to go.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Can someone confirm where Gwin's 4th Heart-to-Heart is? I'm at the supposed segment NE of the Sports Complex, pet's set to a dog, but no sign of him there at any hour of the day.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

If I don't do any of the heart to hearts do I miss out on actual quests or just character development?
Triggering them takes too long and I'd rather miss them unless I have to do them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Taear posted:

Xenoblade was definitely a better game. Or at least a better RPG. This one is way more anime

I dunno how you can have played Xenoblade and say this. Not to say that X isn't, but everything that has come out of MonoSoft is "anime" as all hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

This one is way more anime

I am not particularly sure how you can say Xenoblade X is more anime than the game where you use a magic sword powered by friendship and self-determination to slay god who was secretly a scientist from Earth who blew up the universe and became god. This is after you face a race of giant robots who are all secretly human including your childhood friend who becomes KOS-MOS and is inhabited by the spirit of a god who is secretly a scientist from Earth as well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm going to guess it's another case where the British voice acting makes it feel different and less anime even though it's extremely anime. :shrug:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I honestly have no idea what "anime" means as a descriptor or adjective.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motto posted:

When it's used in the pejorative sense it tends to be shorthand for "contains a number of anime tropes or cliches which I, personally, find displeasing." In this case it probably applies to XCX's garbage character designs, leaden attempts at humor, and getting saddled with things like the 14-year old super-genius cliche right off the bat.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Motto posted:

"Anime" is a catchall term used to describe a wide variety of common stock characters, concepts and plot points found in Japanese nerd media.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

When it's used in the pejorative sense it tends to be shorthand for "contains a number of anime tropes or cliches which I, personally, find displeasing." In this case it probably applies to XCX's garbage character designs, leaden attempts at humor, and getting saddled with things like the 14-year old super-genius cliche right off the bat.

Literally all of those things are in Xenoblade too though. I guess Shulk is somewhat more subdued in the Teenage Genius catagory but makes up for it with his blazing anime laser sword and magical hidden destiny.

(Okay, XBC has way less lovely character designs too.)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Xenoblade was more video game anime, Xenoblade X was more TV anime.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Anime means good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Literally all of those things are in Xenoblade too though. I guess Shulk is somewhat more subdued in the Teenage Genius catagory but makes up for it with his blazing anime laser sword and magical hidden destiny.

(Okay, XBC has way less lovely character designs too.)

Shulk at least doesn't get the teen-genius thing shoved in our faces too hard, since he's more of an enthusiastic amateur archaeologist and that gets pushed aside by his murder-boner for robots.

The writing and humor was absolutely stronger as well, if only due to the more enthusiastic performances. It's so weird to see 8-4 trying to work their usual magic with the script only for every cutscene to die on the vine anyway because the camera and voice direction is so stiff and wooden.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Shulk at least doesn't get the teen-genius thing shoved in our faces too hard, since he's more of an enthusiastic amateur archaeologist and that gets pushed aside by his murder-boner for robots.

The writing and humor was absolutely stronger as well, if only due to the more enthusiastic performances. It's so weird to see 8-4 trying to work their usual magic with the script only for every cutscene to die on the vine anyway because the camera and voice direction is so stiff and wooden.

The voice acting is honestly not much worse I have to say. It's got a lot more generic voice actors but I think there are some good performances considering the material. The cutscene direction absolutely is though and that's a big flaw with the game. The cutscenes are largely boring even ones like "Nagi goes apeshit on a dude" which should be amazing as hell. There are way too many which are just 'characters sit around talking with no animation" which is kind of inexcusable and should have just been non-voiced if they were gonna do that.

However I'll be honest and say that I think the side quest content in X is more interesting than in Xenoblade. The interplay between the various species, the fact that you can get bad or uncommon outcomes or just in general the design of them are a lot more enjoyable to me than the utterly meaningless sidequests in Xenoblade where most of them are ignorable aside from like the Nopon drug ring. I notice a lot of people go "Xenoblade is good if you ignore all the sidequests" and maybe that colors the way I feel about Xenoblade's writing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Thirteen year old. Somehow that makes it worse. Isn't Shulk an actual adult too? (edit: He's 18. Way less weird.)
It's the weird tropes and the stupid "hilarious" sidekick that they constantly make fun of and have the same joke repeated over and over and over and over.

The ones in the previous game felt more like common JRPG tropes - killing 'god' and loads of robots - rather than ones specifically from TV shows.

But yea it always helps that it was in UK voices since I'm from the UK, it did make it feel more real to me.

There's something strange and stilted about all of XCX. Almost like a Bethesda game where all the time scales and story beats come across as fake. Big Lion Man tells me he's keeping me prisoner but then I can die and go away and do a shitload of quests and visit NLA and etc etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

Thirteen year old. Somehow that makes it worse. Isn't Shulk an actual adult too?
It's the weird tropes and the stupid "hilarious" sidekick that they constantly make fun of and have the same joke repeated over and over and over and over.

Shulk is 18 and Riki exists. (And Riki has exactly two jokes. "He looks like a cute animal character but is a deadbeat dad" and "he thinks he is a legendary hero and acts like it even when it causes trouble!")

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The voice acting is honestly not much worse I have to say. It's got a lot more generic voice actors but I think there are some good performances considering the material.

In the first fifteen hours of the game, which was all I could stomach of it, someone raised their voice exactly once, and that was Lin - who, incidentally, was the only character whose VA sounded like she gave a poo poo. The rest were all varying flavors of monotone, which was even worse with that endless, thumping soundtrack drowning out all their speech. It's ghastly, dude. It's early PS2-era fare.

I know that neither of us are going to get anywhere on this, because I had to put the game down and you're infamous for replying to literally every single post made in your direction until the other side gets exhausted and gives up, but this is definitely just a case of your opinion differing from everyone else's with no empirical basis behind it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

In the first fifteen hours of the game, which was all I could stomach of it, someone raised their voice exactly once, and that was Lin - who, incidentally, was the only character whose VA sounded like she gave a poo poo. The rest were all varying flavors of monotone, which was even worse with that endless, thumping soundtrack drowning out all their speech. It's ghastly, dude. It's early PS2-era fare.

Considering that frigging Tatsu and Mustache Dude exist even in the first chapters of the game no, I don't really buy that every character speaks in a droning monotone without any emotion whatsoever. I'm not saying I particularly like Tatsu but that's kind of bullshit.

Oxxidation posted:

this is definitely just a case of your opinion differing from everyone else's with no empirical basis behind it.

I can link cutscenes if you want? It's pretty lovely to go "Well, I only played part of the game but I'm sure every voice actor is a terrible emotionless PS2-quality actor and if you disagree it's just because you suck." Other people in this thread have even said "they got good voice actors its a shame the cutscenes suck so much" so I'm pretty sure I'm not alone there.

Elma is boring as hell but Elma's character is boring as hell.

(Also I guess I'm infamous for... responding to comments people make to me? I guess I'm sorry for doing so?)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 11, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I think that's a result of the writing being "hi we are all level-headed professionals, here is what our next job is". The story suffers a lot from the fact that its protagonist is an organization, not a person. It's like an even snoozier version of Star Trek TNG.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Taear posted:

There's something strange and stilted about all of XCX. Almost like a Bethesda game where all the time scales and story beats come across as fake. Big Lion Man tells me he's keeping me prisoner but then I can die and go away and do a shitload of quests and visit NLA and etc etc.

It's not like that doesn't happen in the original Xenoblade as well. Oh no, an assassin with a big telethia has shown up to try and kill Melia inside the High Entia Tomb! Oh no, I got party wiped, time to go leave the tomb and farm off a few quests so I don't get my rear end kicked again!

I don't remember if fast travel is disabled for that entire dungeon, it very well might be, but you get the idea.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

Shulk is 18 and Riki exists. (And Riki has exactly two jokes. "He looks like a cute animal character but is a deadbeat dad" and "he thinks he is a legendary hero and acts like it even when it causes trouble!")

He gets some good interplay with Dundun and Melia, plus his intro generated a ton of goodwill for him

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i'm just saying that, to me, it's weird to make the discussion about how "japanese" one japanese game is in comparison to another rather than what you actually liked or disliked about it, especially when that's a really nebulously defined metric.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

He gets some good interplay with Dundun and Melia, plus his intro generated a ton of goodwill for him

Also his combat utility and variety of hilarious/adorable armor sets further endeared him to people.

That's somewhere else XCX fails - its cast is almost completely interchangeable in terms of gameplay since everything's now broken down into those MMO-esque classes, which makes your party members even more forgettable and uninteresting.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Motto posted:

i'm just saying that, to me, it's weird to make the discussion about how "japanese" one japanese game is in comparison to another rather than what you actually liked or disliked about it, especially when that's a really nebulously defined metric.

It isn't saying that it's more japanese. I'm saying it shares lots of features with specific Japanese animated TV shows.

Like if the characters did loads of weird slow talking to the screen it would share features with American Kids TV but not specifically be American.

Yes Riki is in the first game but if you don't use him in your party then there's no need to put up with the same joke delivered the same way. "What would you like to eat? I'd like to eat Tatsu, haha." at the start of every bloody quest.

I don't remember being able to leave XBC's places to level up in that same way but maybe I was just prepared for each part so I didn't keep dying like I have done in this. I really wish quests had their levels on them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Also his combat utility and variety of hilarious/adorable armor sets further endeared him to people.

That's somewhere else XCX fails - its cast is almost completely interchangeable in terms of combat utility since everything's now broken down into those MMO-esque classes, which makes your party members even more forgettable and uninteresting.

See, that I can agree with.

Xenoblade was way better about this because every character had a distinct interesting unique playstyle which absolutely defined their character. Some of them were pretty dull (Reyn) but by and large they were all cool and distinctive. In X you basically just grab Lin and Elma and then whoever you like best to fill out the roster and there's no meaningful difference to them or reason to swap out from using the protagonist who can do everything better than everyone else. Technically I think H.B is the mechanically best tank but the difference between him and Lin is so minuscule while Lin is plot-mandated for so much that they should have just given you a set cast of characters instead. (I know part of the bloat is because some characters were DLC in the Japanese version but that isn't much better.)

Also Riki is better because he is absurdly broken in combat as opposed to Tatsu whose worth is literally negative.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

See, that I can agree with.

Xenoblade was way better about this because every character had a distinct interesting unique playstyle which absolutely defined their character. Some of them were pretty dull (Reyn) but by and large they were all cool and distinctive. In X you basically just grab Lin and Elma and then whoever you like best to fill out the roster and there's no meaningful difference to them or reason to swap out from using the protagonist who can do everything better than everyone else. Technically I think H.B is the mechanically best tank but the difference between him and Lin is so minuscule while Lin is plot-mandated for so much that they should have just given you a set cast of characters instead. (I know part of the bloat is because some characters were DLC in the Japanese version but that isn't much better.)

Also Riki is better because he is absurdly broken in combat as opposed to Tatsu whose worth is literally negative.

When you have 20 or however many characters almost all of whom are interchangable men with big hair then why even bother using them? My fourth player choice is entirely based on who doesn't share gear with me, lin or elma.
It wasn't like that in the first game.

The game feels so much like a MMOG. In the same way SWTOR felt like a single player game that they attempted to attach MMOG mechanics to and did sorta badly this is the reverse.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Oxxidation posted:

It doesn't change much outside those 15 hours, unfortunately. Xenoblade's VA was at least emotionally engaging due to the wide array of reactions the characters go through and just about all the actors felt like they gave a poo poo about the script and appreciated the story it told. The only real dud that comes to mind is Sharla, mostly because her character is boring and ultimately pointless.

XBX? Yes, let's have Lin make a meal before every chapter and say the exact same thing, then have Elma chime in with a non-emotional observation followed by a potato joke and your avatar nodding approvingly, which comes off as creepy since it looks like a mannequin came to life but all they can do is nod and cross their arms.

Genuinely interesting end engaging characters get thrown to the side (L, Vandham, the second hand of the president, some of the xenos), and the remainder are painfully generic. It feels like they went too thick with including more characters, especially ones that could join your party.

The game definitely shines when you start delving into the sidequests. Finding out how the Orpheus reproduce was neat, discovering how stressful and annoyed some of the NLA population is with having new xenos come into their city and the various reactions to it is pretty interesting and a good commentary on society in general, and building what feels like an inclusive society is pretty fun. A big problem is that the main story plays up the urgency of finding the LifeHold - even giving it a timer - which comes off as an afterthought since it seems like nobody else in the base gives a poo poo outside a few others. You have an alien species loving blow up Earth and destroy all the other colony ships that are trying to escape yet you can't destroy an idle loving city that's stranded on an ocean store? Okay, you hate humans a whole lot and want them destroyed but.. somehow start with the equivalent of the Library of Congress segments.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Louisgod posted:

The game definitely shines when you start delving into the sidequests. Finding out how the Orpheus reproduce was neat, discovering how stressful and annoyed some of the NLA population is with having new xenos come into their city and the various reactions to it is pretty interesting and a good commentary on society in general, and building what feels like an inclusive society is pretty fun. A big problem is that the main story plays up the urgency of finding the LifeHold - even giving it a timer - which comes off as an afterthought since it seems like nobody else in the base gives a poo poo outside a few others. You have an alien species loving blow up Earth and destroy all the other colony ships that are trying to escape yet you can't destroy an idle loving city that's stranded on an ocean store? Okay, you hate humans a whole lot and want them destroyed but.. somehow start with the equivalent of the Library of Congress segments.

I rationalised that as the Aliens wanting to torture humanity. So they knew people would escape Earth but they didn't want to destroy the last humans until they'd seen everything else get smashed up.

It still seems stupid but less stupid, I guess.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
The side quests in XCX are alright, but everything else about the game is dull and suffers from a lack of polish. A few weeks ago I beat chapter 9, got the flight module, flew around the continents unlocking probe sites, and then turned off the game and haven't felt any urge to go back.

I really loved Xenoblade and was looking forward to this, but XCX ended up being my most disappointing game of 2015. I had such high hopes, but they made so many bad design choices... :sigh:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I really loved Xenoblade and was looking forward to this, but XCX ended up being my most disappointing game of 2015. I had such high hopes, but they made so many bad design choices... :sigh:

It sounds like all you did is unlock the probe sites and didn't bother to fight any of the harder Tyrants or do the multitude of world quests that are out there.

Like drat there's so much hidden stuff in the game it's insane. The game gives you options on what direction you wanna go in and you're really missing some well done boss fights if you're skipping World Tyrants like Drifting Cloud or telethia.

This is one of the few games that does exploration right. So much stuff is hidden inside other areas in extremely clever ways. Like the Behemoth area having the Tyrant located in the pit and then there's another tyrant hidden nearby as well as two treasure sites. And then the neighboring cave containing 4 tyrants.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 11, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

It sounds like all you did is unlock the probe sites and didn't bother to fight any of the harder Tyrants or do the multitude of world quests that are out there.

Like drat there's so much hidden stuff in the game it's insane. The game gives you options on what direction you wanna go in and you're really missing some well done boss fights if you're skipping World Tyrants like Drifting Cloud or telethia.

Fighting is kinda boring. That's not what I'm in an RPG for. Especially since fights in the Skell feel like HP sponges. Ability is up, use ability. Wait.
I quite enjoyed the ground fights in comparison but Tyrants still mostly feel like the same enemy doing the same stuff but with more HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Louisgod posted:

You have an alien species loving blow up Earth and destroy all the other colony ships that are trying to escape yet you can't destroy an idle loving city that's stranded on an ocean store? Okay, you hate humans a whole lot and want them destroyed but.. somehow start with the equivalent of the Library of Congress segments.

There are a couple of throwaway lines to rationalize this, basically the Ganglion on Mira are there in pissweak force - they only have the one capital ship and a few of those big Xern things. Which, given how many of those same capital ships were in the into movie, and how quickly said ships got their poo poo pushed in, isn't totally unbelievable.

According to some of the random civ chat you can get from the Orpheans post game, Luxxaar is apparently pretty small-time despite his title and arrogance, and really only starts getting delusions of grandeur once the Vita pops up. In fact, he may not even be an actual Ganglion, as in the created individuals that humans supposedly can kill by existing. It's probable you never meet one of the true Ganglion during the game.

Also I'm pretty sure the weird organic dudes with the big space testicle are the ones that actually busted Earth up, they seemed to have the upper hand in that fight and they chased the Whale down afterwards. The Ganglion are just kinda...there.

• Locked thread