Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Death thread is basically TG hang out thread tbh

It is one of the things that make it the best thread.

Irate Tree posted:

I'm the lovely Quintesson on the end of the stick.

Or maybe the grossly over sized, heavy and impractical helmet on his head.

I'm your Bailiff servant to the right

Ettin posted:

The Mobile Suit Gundam: The Force Awakens discussion is interesting but it's probably edging into Cinema Discusso territory :shobon:

Just to be clear: I should't talk about gundam there or here?

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I love that the volcano where the STEAMHEAD DUARDIN hang out has a giant face.

And that they're still reusing music from Dawn of War.

Everything still looks like poo poo.

Dawn of war was the last time they paid professionals to make epic music for their IP. Until Total Warhammer comes out there won't be anything new.

YF19pilot posted:

Got a little extra cash left over from Christmas. Trying to decide between X-Wangs starter set or Star Realms expansions...

Puzzle Strike

edit: guys if we aren't supposed to talk about star wars here I don't think we are supposed to talk about Prometheus.

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Omar al-Bishie posted:

they're going in a box with like sixty unpainted orks from the last starter set I grabbed on ebay four years ago. i need help

Buy x-wings instead.

There, I helped :P

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It might be nice to see a Dwar Duardin civilisation at its peak for once, rather than the usual long-decline, world-full-of-their-ruins routine. If AoS was remotely likely to work with this plot point, it could be interesting to check out. Although looking at the new Dwarven Duardin minis, my first thought is why the heck are they all running around in loincloths and huge helmets?

For the fantasy race that pretty much invented magical armour tropes, they're sure as heck letting it all hang out. Did the Duardin Duardinholds all take up nudism after the fall of the Old World?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

It might be nice to see a Dwar Duardin civilisation at its peak for once, rather than the usual long-decline, world-full-of-their-ruins routine. If AoS was remotely likely to work with this plot point, it could be interesting to check out. Although looking at the new Dwarven Duardin minis, my first thought is why the heck are they all running around in loincloths and huge helmets?

For the fantasy race that pretty much invented magical armour tropes, they're sure as heck letting it all hang out. Did the Duardin Duardinholds all take up nudism after the fall of the Old World?

They''re Slayers, they're the brand of Dwarf that was a death seeker to atone for some wrong, but they couldn't just off themselves they had to go out in glorious combat against enemies because honour, so they picked up the biggest loving axe they could find and went and jumped on a dragon. They were awesome.

Now, however, it seems eminently likely that GW have forgotten the death seeker part and just focussed on the nudity and mohawks that made them look cool without sparing a second thought for the fluff that made it awesome instead of dumb as poo poo.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
My local LGS is announcing a sale on all WHFB stuff. They will quit stocking it and will only take in new AoS stuff. Should I get a discount Verminlord yes/no? I already have the old model which fits the correct base for my KoW Ratkin army.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Not a viking posted:

My local LGS is announcing a sale on all WHFB stuff. They will quit stocking it and will only take in new AoS stuff. Should I get a discount Verminlord yes/no? I already have the old model which fits the correct base for my KoW Ratkin army.

:siren:Do not give GW money:siren:

(I know, the FLGS already did that, but still)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

guts and bolts posted:

Here's the secret: nobody knows

After the death of the Empire the Republic came back. Some people still supported the Empire.
An enormous battle was fought over Jakku and the Empire lost.

First Order signed a treaty with the Republic and lives mostly in rubbish worlds in "Unknown Space". The Rebellion doesn't trust them and is carrying on the fight.

This is laid out in a comic though. It's easily the biggest failing of the film in my eyes but I don't think most people care and they wanted to make sure there's less political jabbering in this film compared to the prequels.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Not a viking posted:

Get an ankylosaurus.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, the background stuff that fills in plot holes that the super nerds care about is covered by books, comics and novels that the super nerds are intended/encouraged to buy. Part of it is getting extra licensing fees for Disney, part of it is making a movie that is accessible and enjoyable. I enjoyed the movie. I'm a Star Wars nerd, but not a mega-nerd. I've also read the articles and variously pieces online that complain about all sorts of things, and there are some valid points (like why Captain Phasma gave in so easily) but others are just complaining for complaining's sake (like 'omg how could Rey know how to fly, repair, fight, whatever').

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does the comic explain why the rebellion is down to thirty people and a dozen X-wings?

Not a viking posted:

Should I get a discount Verminlord yes/no?

I was in your exact spot, even down to having the old metal verminlord. I was tempted at $60, but it's still not worth it. You're paying for variant parts you won't use, it's too big to use in anything but 8e / Endtimes, and that's still a lot of money that could go towards something more fun.

Plus the plastic kit looks like weird spindly poo poo next to the beefy Forgeworld one.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I had never seen the model before and just looked it up. That thing is hideous.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hey death thread would anyone be interested in a set of old pewter Chaos Terminators? They're getting the simple green bath right now so I haven't put it in SA mart but I figured I would ask here first before putting any actual effort in.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Buy x-wings instead.

There, I helped :P

I like infantry models more than space ships :(

I went to my LGS to see what people were up to and the calendar said it was Infinity night. nobody was playing Infinity but a few dudes were playing KoW. It looked alright. Infinity models were may pricier than I expected but the game looks rad as heck. Deadzone looks cool too but I haven't seen anyone playing it. 40k is still the big game at the shop and the only one I regularly see people playing. Warmachine/Hordes is dead there, which sucks because I got really excited about that game and have a pretty decent Protectorate army.

maybe I need to get some of my D&D buddies hooked on this stuff but they mostly play tabletop games that don't cost hundreds of dollars or take hours of prep just to be playable. Might be why they're playing X Wing

...maybe I'll try X Wing

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 10, 2016

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

moths posted:

Does the comic explain why the rebellion is down to thirty people and a dozen X-wings?

They're like the Star Wars preppers.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Taear posted:

After the death of the Empire the Republic came back. Some people still supported the Empire.
An enormous battle was fought over Jakku and the Empire lost.

First Order signed a treaty with the Republic and lives mostly in rubbish worlds in "Unknown Space". The Rebellion doesn't trust them and is carrying on the fight.

They could have put these words in the loving scrolling text at the beginning.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's not exactly hard to figure out. This sort of operation is being carried out all over the world, right now, as I type this stupid post.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There's another one

except this one is loving huge

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Thundercloud posted:

They're like the Star Wars preppers.

Also all conflict in Star Wars is extremely low scale. There were supposedly something like a few million Clone Troopers who managed to pacify an entire galaxy. Star Wars warfare only really works if you assume the galactic population beyond a couple big planets is limited to like a couple hundred to a few thousand people per planet.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also all conflict in Star Wars is extremely low scale. There were supposedly something like a few million Clone Troopers who managed to pacify an entire galaxy. Star Wars warfare only really works if you assume the galactic population beyond a couple big planets is limited to like a couple hundred to a few thousand people per planet.

Yeah no, the only one that defended was a proven madwoman.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Not a viking posted:

Hell if you like the model nab it but it's one of those insanely big spindly centerpiece models that looks weird in a mass infantry game. Cool model with lots of extra bits though.

I'm interested in the thinking behind only stocking aos poo poo though, is it actually moving (comparatively) well there?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I don't think so. But it's been getting harder and harder for the store to get non-AoS boxes. More and more is becoming direct order only and they don't want to stock what they can't supply in the future. They are also getting rid of LotR stuff. The GW shelves have grown smaller in general.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

There's another one

except this one is loving huge

everything in this post is amazing

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

Just stop, they're going to ignore all legitimate points you make and then either accuse you of being crazy or angry, or they'll try to play Goon Chicken until they've established they care less about the argument they're in and obviously win by default.

Nah he made some good points and provided some good reasoning even if not everyone agrees, your just the shitposter. hth.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Well, they wanted a human scale setting, something where a small squad of fighters and one hero can make a difference, rather than something of unfathomable scale with billions of civilizations spread throughout the near-infinity of space. There's some scifi that does mindfuck-huge scale very well, but Star Wars doesn't and shouldn't. It's inherently smaller scale and the basic disconnect is that they nevertheless chose to make it an entire galaxy without understanding just how big a galaxy is.

Should have just made it some star cluster.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's GI Joe vs Cobra except they hosed up and Washington got nuked.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Star Clusters 7- The Mediocre Awakens

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That's ok. Much better than your usual drivel.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

LingcodKilla posted:

That's ok. Much better than your usual drivel.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
BOLS of "Age of Sigmas IS selling" renown seem to have changed their tune regarding AoS, at least on their forums.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?62650-Did-the-Summer-of-Sigmar-kill-interest-in-40k/page2

quote:

What we've heard from every retailer out there was a strong robust year up until AoS hit on July 4th weekend - followed by the worst 12-week summer for GW sales they had ever seen. (One retailers said is was the worst summer of GW sales in 17 years!), followed by a leveling off and slow regrowth with the arrival of Tau. Still, not back up up to the pre AoS levels.

Several retailers told us they would never treat GW the same after that summer and are strongly diversifying product lines away from them.

I would assume that many people lost interest in GW over the summer and are slowly percolating back. Also note that Tau was never that much of a favorite army and Heresy while a wet dream for veterans is still kind of a niche within a niche for new players. If GW can kickoff 2016 with some strong popular armies getting good releases, I would expect to see interest and traffic pick up again. But Harlequins and Ad-Mech is a hard act to follow.

I'm certain GW has felt the pain of AoS behind the scenes, regardless of the public face they are putting out. Not one retailer talked about it in positive terms with us.

It correlates with what we heard from Serious Gaylord about panicking GW execs. Supposedly AoS dragged 40k down with it into the abyss for a while until the Tau release. The last part of his post I find interesting in light of their earlier enthusiasm: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/08/age-of-sigmar-1-month-old-report.html

Mukip fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 11, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Mukip posted:

BOLS of "Age of Sigmas IS selling" renown seem to have changed their tune regarding AoS, at least on their forums.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?62650-Did-the-Summer-of-Sigmar-kill-interest-in-40k/page2

It correlates with what we heard from Serious Gaylord about panicking GW execs. Supposedly AoS dragged 40k down with it into the abyss for a while until the Tau release. The last part of his post I find interesting in light of their earlier enthusiasm: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/08/age-of-sigmar-1-month-old-report.html

I like the first reply.

quote:

It could be caused by something much bigger than the game. Economy, world events, politics, climate even!

AoS cannot be poo poo, the weather is conspiring against GW.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Didn't the people behind BoLS have some interest in promoting AoS? It might have been that just they wanted to corner the elusive GW superfan web traffic, but I feel like there was a store involved or something.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

yeah I haven't read AoS comments in ages and my tolerance has obviously gone down. I....i thought i could handle it :negative:

Their top story atm is yet another loving AoS points/comp system.

quote:

These rules are NOT balanced.

The way Sigmar is designed, is that every box, straight off the shelf, is one warscroll. The game is based on Warscroll balance, NOT model or point balance.
So if you have say, saurus Warriors, who come in boxes of 20, that's one Scroll, against say, Bloodletters, who come in 10, that's also 1 Scroll.
So now lets do a 7 scroll vs 7 scroll battle. That can allow you easily 2 hero's, a monster or two, and some basic units. I've tested this method extensively, and it makes the games feel much more interesting, engaging AND balanced.
(for reference, if you want more in a unit, its easiest to use another Warscroll, and add another full box on, so 40 Warriors is 2 Warscrolls)

I am pretty confident that IS how Sigmar is designed to play, but they can't well put on the rules "one box of a unit straight off the shelf will count as one Warscroll"
i'm the guy saying the game is balanced around how much money you give geedubs like it's a good thing

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Attestant posted:

I like the first reply.

While the weather can and does have a noticeable affect on GW sales (A very warm sunshine laden summer will really harm them in the UK for instance) this year the weather was almost perfect for them and they still nose dived. No excuses there.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

In the entire first movie the only force tricks Luke used were blocking a training bot blind for a few minutes, and shooting straight with torpedoes. He didn't get into a saber fight until the second movie, in which the bad guy cut his loving hand off. Took him until the third movie to use mind tricks, and even then it only worked on the idiot attendant, Jabba laughed it off.

Rey was using the full repertoire inside of two hours, up to and including beating the trained bad guy in a saber fight, which was the first time she'd turned on a saber, without taking a scratch in return. That's what people are talking about

God, I can't believe I'm getting into this argument. Rey's a Fringer. It's in all the Star Wars RPG books ever published since the 90's, and kinda unique to the Star Wars universe. Basically someone who survives by their wits and self-taught skills in the outbacks and fringes of the galaxy. She's had to survive on Jukka since a child so I'm guessing she's a high-level fringer as well (all movie canon characters are considered heroic level by default).

And you know what's the fringers ability that lets them be in the same game system as actual Jedi? Being able to succeed in anything through sheer audacity, quick wits, and luck. Because that's what you need to survive in essentially Death Worlds in the Star Wars universe. Literally, ingame fringer's can auto-succeed at anything in a jam as their power.

Just pretend Rey used her Fringer powers at every implausible point in the movie.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Attestant posted:

I like the first reply.

I remember a few years ago on Dakkadakka there was a guy who was supposedly, like, a CFO or a stock broker or something, somebody with some kind of knowledge, supposedly, of the economy and finance who kept insisting that GW's poor performance in the stock market could be solely attributed to the GFC, and he'd come up with all kinds of justifications; Greek economic collapse. A rise in the cost of farming in Cyprus. These, among other things, were the real reason GW wasn't doing well. At one point he declared "It's obvious the consumer is tapped out."

Try to point out that many governments have said that the economy had actually started growing in that period, albeit slowly? He had something for that: You can't trust what any government anywhere says about anything related to their economy, they're lying. Only trust that the economy is growing when business says it is.

Try to point out that other companies are growing? He had something for that: since none of them are publicly traded, they don't release numbers, so there's no proof, and it must be assumed they're not growing, and if they say they're growing, assume they're lying, even though I said to trust what businesses say about themselves earlier.

A company actually provides evidence that they're growing (Corvus Belli)? Well, it doesn't count because they're such small fries compared to GW that even if they're growing it's meaningless because reasons.

It brought to mind, for me, the image of some 19th century scientist who also happens to be deeply religious desperately trying to prove that the science is wrong when it contradicts the bible.

My other thought was "If this is the kind of guy who makes decisions related to the economy, or is the kind of person people listen to, no wonder the GFC happened."

If he was a troll, he was a drat dedicated one.

EDIT: I just remembered what his Dakka handle was; it was his real name :stare:. Just googled it, turns out he's a broker.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 11, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Thundercracker posted:

It's in all the Star Wars RPG books ever published since the 90's, and kinda unique to the Star Wars universe.

You mean the books 99% of people have never read, and are now not considered canon anymore? It was a failure of story telling. This movie had some fun moments, but they didn't come together well enough to make a good movie. Just like in the awful Star Trek movies, Abrams substituted call backs and breathless pace for story, and it didn't work.

It's littered with hanging threads that require the viewer to have read an accompanying book to understand what's going on, who they are, and why that's important. Bad writing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

it's not bad writing, it's average writing. And it's written pretty much to the average of the six movies before it, which are neither as good or as bad as people act like they are.

reminder: the prequels made enough money for lucas to buy like, ten yachts.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It makes sense to want that, as a merchandising and licensing giant, so your customers need to acquire more materials to get the whole story. Sadly your customers are the general public and not people who'd readily step into a comic store to buy all the extra material. I heard that was the multimedia idea behind shadows of the empire and IIRC it failed aside from the fondly remembered video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

It's littered with hanging threads that require the viewer to have read an accompanying book to understand what's going on, who they are, and why that's important. Bad writing.

It doesn't really flesh out much of anything, but it tells the viewer what he needs to know. These are the space nazis, this is the army of space good guys, the space nazis blew up their planet and now they want to kill the space nazi space base. You don't need to have a working model of the interstellar realpolitik-state of the galaxy to appreciate it - It's a heroic fantasy. Yeah, it's neat that accompanying material fleshes it out, but the average moviegoer doesn't give a poo poo and it's not required to enjoy the movie.

The movie isn't setting out to establish a rich backstory - It leaves that to other material, which does it better.

Also, it's dumb to compare Rey fighting Kylo to Vader fighting Luke: Luke vs Vader is a teenage kid with two days of training vs a full-blown-no-poo poo-Sith-Lord.
Rey vs Kylo is a hard-as-nails survivalist proficient in hand-to-hand combat vs Ren, who presumably is pretty handy with a lightsaber, but just got shot in the gut by a gun that was throwing full-grown men around like ragdolls.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 11, 2016

• Locked thread