Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the news coverage is on a downward slope. As long as nothing keeps happening, cameras aren't going to stay pointed at them.

Man, it's a good thing they don't want any attention whatsoever because if they did then they might do something in order to keep the news coverage coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the news coverage is on a downward slope. As long as nothing keeps happening, cameras aren't going to stay pointed at them.

Because the media wanted a bloodbath, just like the Bundys, that doesn't mean the Bundys suddenly stop being a problem.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Also: Turns out the family did request the fences take down (or at least that's what it seems like).

EDIT:

Bonus joke

Crain fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 11, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The Larch posted:

Man, it's a good thing they don't want any attention whatsoever because if they did then they might do something in order to keep the news coverage coming.

like...what? they have no hostages, they have no FBI to shoot at. What dramatic action do you recommend they take to drum up attention?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

like...what? they have no hostages, they have no FBI to shoot at. What dramatic action do you recommend they take to drum up attention?

They could initiate a culling of endangered birds or publish those HR records they dug up.

You know, the kind of poo poo these people would do without a second thought.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crain posted:

Bonus joke

O'Malley is looking for votes in some unusual places these days.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

theflyingorc posted:

Right now this is what they're doing, and it's drumming up at least some attention:

https://twitter.com/WandaKTVZ/status/686647283547377665

I didn't think any businesses would be dumb enough to ask for/use the land while the Bundy's were doing this but it turns out one rancher asked them to remove the fence between their land and the refuge.

And they're currently dismantling the fence with the equipment from the refuge office.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Uh, what's wrong with that guy's face?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

They barely even tried to hide the logos on the Wildlife trucks:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

My Man Shran posted:

They could initiate a culling of endangered birds or publish those HR records they dug up.

You know, the kind of poo poo these people would do without a second thought.

that's not going to get them back to the top of CNN. and I really doubt they're going to think of either of those weird things to do?

Crain posted:

Right now this is what they're doing, and it's drumming up at least some attention:

I didn't think any businesses would be dumb enough to ask for/use the land while the Bundy's were doing this but it turns out one rancher asked them to remove the fence between their land and the refuge.

And they're currently dismantling the fence with the equipment from the refuge office.

sure, and all that's dumb and not getting them literally 0 attention, but they're hardly where they were a week ago. the threat of violence is the start and end of what makes this story interesting, and unless somebody fires a gun I don't see that changing

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

shrike82 posted:

Uh, what's wrong with that guy's face?

He got run over by a car as a child. Try to keep up.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Crain posted:

Looks like the revolution begins here.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Crain posted:

They barely even tried to hide the logos on the Wildlife trucks:

Welfare queens and their Wildlife F-350's(?).

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Stealing and defacing government property is certainly a crime, isn't it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thump! posted:

Yes. So is cutting down the fences. And occupying the Federal property.

But, let's face it: The Feds, while they might have been playing this by ear to avoid a Waco, have now basically let this monster grow too far to do anything now. And now the Bundys have legitimacy, media coverage or not.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Thump! posted:

Sedition and insurrection.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the feds should cede the cabin and land to bundy, then he'll get bored and go home!!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Condiv posted:

the feds should cede the cabin and land to bundy, then he'll get bored and go home!!

But he would be home?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CommieGIR posted:

But, let's face it: The Feds, while they might have been playing this by ear to avoid a Waco, have now basically let this monster grow too far to do anything now. And now the Bundys have legitimacy, media coverage or not.

what do you mean by legitimacy? I don't agree with your narrative at all, I see no reason to expect the situation to escalate significantly because there really aren't that many ways for it TO escalate.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

There are children at the occupied site now. Consider that at the Bundy Ranch standoff, some of these chucklefucks were quite happy to speak glowingly to the press about how they were going to let the BLM agents shoot at their wives and kids first, aka, literally using them as bullet shields. You guys kind've keep ignoring this.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

LeoMarr posted:

But he would be home?

Ammon: Vacate! I want off this refuge!
Dr. Ritzheimer: You can't leave. She won't let you.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

kartikeya posted:

There are children at the occupied site now. Consider that at the Bundy Ranch standoff, some of these chucklefucks were quite happy to speak glowingly to the press about how they were going to let the BLM agents shoot at their wives and kids first, aka, literally using them as bullet shields. You guys kind've keep ignoring this.
OK, so the problem is the FBI aren't coming in and doing something, so they've created a situation where the children will be shot by the FBI. Got it.

No seriously, as long as the FBI continues to do nothing, what, exactly, is going to happen? How is this situation going to boil over?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

OK, so the problem is the FBI aren't coming in and doing something, so they've created a situation where the children will be shot by the FBI. Got it.

No seriously, as long as the FBI continues to do nothing, what, exactly, is going to happen? How is this situation going to boil over?

don't you see you fool, the anti-government militias are really feeling empowered to take action against the government by cutting down fences and spraypainting trucks

they're going to leave a bag of flaming cow dung on the steps of the fed next

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

I've gone over that in detail in about three or four posts now, please feel free to actually read them. I'm just correcting your assertion that they don't have hostages.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

Let's see: Letting unauthorized persons graze protected land, possible destruction of Federal property (like cutting down fences for a cooperative rancher, hey!), and their intent to basically use the land as they see fit.

I guess there are no consequences for breaking the law. If you can threaten to shoot back, gently caress why didn't the Bundys just rob a bank?

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D

theflyingorc posted:

what do you mean by legitimacy? I don't agree with your narrative at all, I see no reason to expect the situation to escalate significantly because there really aren't that many ways for it TO escalate.

The situation will escalate by the fact that every militia in the country now sees the government is utterly powerless to stop them. They've already announced plans to do this in other areas, and other states. Do you think this is the only lovely town where the BLM or some other form of government control owns and protects land. Now everytime there is a dispute between locals and a government land-management entity these idiots are going to take it as open season to show up and do shows of force like they've been doing here. They drove to the FBI compound the other day in a convoy of 20 vehicles, full of heavily armed assholes just to flex and make demands, and the FBI met them behind concrete walls with assault rifles. It literally could have turned into a bloodbath right there.

Ignoring them is making the news get bored and go away sure, because they wanted a bloodbath. But as far as the militia lunatics are concerned this is an absolute victory and the government is powerless to stop them. All the lovely militia groups that were saying the Bundys were crazy for doing this, have already flocked to his cause now that they've seen the government won't lift a finger against them. The bundy's aren't getting bored or being starved out, they've stolen all the BLM trucks, spraypainted over the government logos, and are driving them around the county tearing down fences and handing out land deeds they've stolen from the BLM offices to the ranchers. They're having a field day and getting more support from lunatic anti-government types everyday.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/WandaKTVZ/status/686086638984806404

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hope he remembers to close his eyes when he dies.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That's the fake marine, right?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So is it also game over when he sleeps? Does dying mean he ran out of quarters?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Looks like the Bundys are now forcing a local dry wall company to dig trenches around the towns outskirts.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So is it also game over when he sleeps? Does dying mean he ran out of quarters?

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Pretty sure this has already been posted days ago, but it apparently needs to be repeated http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/07/oregon-residents-say-its-time-for-the-militia-to-pack-it-up-and-go

quote:

The local sheriff policing the occupation of a wildlife refuge in Oregon said he has received numerous death threats since armed militia took over the remote government outpost over the weekend.

Harney County sheriff David Ward told local residents on Wednesday that his wife had left town for her safety after strangers followed her home one night and someone slit her car tire. He said he had received anonymous letters with numerous misspellings that included death threats.

Worse still, the sheriff said, strangers had come to town to harass his elderly parents.

Totally harmless, guys, it's just like OWS, why do you lust for blood, it's just a bird sanctuary after all, they're not hurting anyone.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This is supposedly a list of wants from the OR militia wannabes.

I hope this is a joke. Gaming supplies? Digital camera? Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip?

I don't see condoms, glitter, or lube on there. Guess the Gawker care package took care of that. :v:

I'm betting that any of the people who have sent them stuff have already ended up on an FBI watch list.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 11, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

That's the fake marine, right?

One of several, yes

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
The current plan is hoping they'll eventually leave when they have accomplished all of their goals.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CrazyLittle posted:

One of several, yes

Marine Farce Recon

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Alter Ego posted:

I don't see condoms, glitter, or lube on there. Guess the Gawker care package took care of that. :v:

I'm betting that any of the people who have sent them stuff have already ended up on an FBI watch list.

lol the fbi is probably too scared to even keep track of those people

now if they were supporting a leftist group...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Condiv posted:

lol the fbi is probably too scared to even keep track of those people

now if they were supporting a leftist group...

Leftist groups don't have guns so yes they're an easy target.

• Locked thread