Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Volvo S60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

i already read those books years ago and feeling depressed as poo poo is something i like after reading fictional books.

Hammer's Slammers for grim military sci-fi, Ambient by Jack Womack for dystoipa and maximum depression.

I was supposed to be helping the girl out at the ranch today, but I busted myself ice skating last night. 0/10 dad. :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ElMaligno posted:

Finished "Forever War" a couple of days ago. I am disappointing because people calling the current war a "Forever War" as it implies that there is a happy ending in here. Speaking of that I would appreciate more sci fi suggestions, I have forever peace but im waiting when flying to PR in order to start.

And in other dad LPO news i got to use "Too many dicks in the pie" idiom i read in here a couple of weeks ago, i made my guy laugh for a bit.

The Martian Chronicles
A Fall of Moondust
Aurora
Three Body Problem

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Pretty much any Subaru.

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

I"ve been seeing the new Crosstrek everywhere lately

Subaru is a great choice for snowy driving. It is also extremely dad. Two birds with one stone imo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Subarus are N4I's beard car for the Miata he actually drives

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Can I stay dad cool and not actually have kids. I have enough nieces and nephews to live vicariously through

favorite uncle is an awesome place to be. I get strict obedience from all of them mainly because I spoil them rotten. I don't have to deal with bullshit though, which is great.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I"ve been seeing the new Crosstrek everywhere lately

probably what I'm going to get next year for my work vehicle, maybe a Tacoma, but probably a Crosstrek, they are pretty cheap and they get pretty good gas mileage.
Having said that, 4WD/AWD is nice but not necessarily a requirement here. 4WD doesn't make up for being a loving idiot on icy streets, which is where people usually get into trouble. My work vehicle is a super rad Dodge mini-van that I have fitted out with Blizzaks and I can't think of any time that I have been out in it and felt like I would be in better shape with AWD.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bengy81 posted:

probably what I'm going to get next year for my work vehicle, maybe a Tacoma, but probably a Crosstrek, they are pretty cheap and they get pretty good gas mileage.
Having said that, 4WD/AWD is nice but not necessarily a requirement here. 4WD doesn't make up for being a loving idiot on icy streets, which is where people usually get into trouble. My work vehicle is a super rad Dodge mini-van that I have fitted out with Blizzaks and I can't think of any time that I have been out in it and felt like I would be in better shape with AWD.

Yeah I know it's not a cure-all and won't do poo poo for braking, but I've been extremely disappointed with my Fusion's performance in even mildly icy/snowy conditions and I'm a little worried about how it'd handle on rough roads even in good weather. I haven't tried snow tires yet, it snows like twice a year in Albuquerque but every time it has it's been a poo poo show.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I'm moving up to Denver soon and I'm thinking of trading in my 2014 Ford Fusion for something with 4WD. Does anybody have any suggestions for what I might start looking at? I don't think I want to get anything bigger than a full size sedan for cost/fuel reasons.

First off, 4WD and AWD are not the same thing. Is there any reason you think you need four drive wheels, or are you actually wanting to get out of the Fusion? There's nothing wrong with a FWD car in the snow 99% of the time, especially in a place like Denver that's actually really good about snow removal.

Edit: Ah, just got to the post above. What tires do you have? That's almost guaranteed to be the problem, and a set of tires is a lot cheaper than a new car.

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

Subaru is a great choice for snowy driving. It is also extremely dad. Two birds with one stone imo.

It's "dad" if you have two moms and on of them plays the role of dad.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 10, 2016

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's probably a better idea, since I'm moving in the springtime I might as well just plan to try out some snow tires for next winter. I do want to do some camping but nothing that would require serious offroad driving.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Established campsites are paved right up until you enter the camping area, then it's a dirt road designed to be driveable by any car. I really do think you should give the Fusion a shot, and do some tire research. Tirerack's reviews are pretty helpful.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Most AWD is pretty solid these days, with Subaru and Audi being 1 and a somewhat distant 2. The only lovely AWD is Nissan/Infiniti, they gently caress up the transaxle every time and you end up with leaks, stripped out internals, etc. Their FWD is crap too, same reasons and torque steer to boot. But their RWD is as beyond solid. And Honda's AWD is lacking too, but less mechanically and more they can't figure out the right amount of power for the fronts to carry so you end up with oversteer and understeer issues depending on the speed

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

All I want is for Mazda to throw the AWD system from the CX5 into a Mazda 3, and slap a big honking turbo on that 2.5l skyactiv and I will buy it

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I think it was around 2002 when the Mitsubishi Evo 6 or 7 was running around and it had something crazy like an 80% bias to the rear wheels, which would transfer up to 60% to the front and it was, and probably will be the only all wheel drive system worth a good goddamn. Should probably fact check the car because my memory is terrible. Oh, and that Audi that could literally 4 wheel diff lock up to like 30mph on take off.

All wheel drive is amateur hour poo poo, with its only real advantage being the slight one of taking off in slippy conditions. Front wheel drive is just fine for snowy roads except for that period of time where American small cars were so heavy at the front it seemed like they'd flip over if you stomped the brakes hard. So much understeer when they let go.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baqUPJHnGDY

edit: Which eventually leads to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGm2eczYyGA

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 10, 2016

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
I bought a new Subaru Crosstrek back in the summer and it has been great. I live in Colorado and we've gotten a ton of snow where I live. Got a few feet of accumulation in my front yard now with more coming in a few days. I am way out in the country so the main roads are plowed by the county, but back roads are just done by whoever lives nearby if they done at all. The car has been handling the snow great and I haven't managed to get it stuck once. Before the snow came down even took it up some mud "roads" in the national forest while camping that reminded me of that episode of Top Gear where they were driving across Africa. Passed a super lifted pickup truck with giant tires that was carefully climbing the road and he didn't think I'd be able to get my tiny car through all that poo poo, but once again not a single problem.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Holy poo poo. Inhaled some water then did some flips underwater. Was hard to breath for a solid 15 seconds after my head was above water.

Would not recommend.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We watched this for SARC training.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's actually a thousand times better than any SARC-type training I ever saw.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I want an old Mazda 323 GTX to romp around the snow in

Or an old 80s rally style audi Quattro, Mitsubishi Evo, 22b Subaru, celica gt4. Renault 5 turbo for my Euro gippers

Not trying to resurface the group b rally chat (it owns) I just loving love wagons/hatchbacks tho. Hopefully they're becoming cool again as everyone realizes they don't need a gigantic SUV to "feel safe" or whatever bullshit you wife spouts to make you buy her an escalade

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I want an old Mazda 323 GTX to romp around the snow in

Or an old 80s rally style audi Quattro, Mitsubishi Evo, 22b Subaru, celica gt4

Not trying to resurface the group b rally chat (it owns) I just loving love wagons/hatchbacks tho. Hopefully they're becoming cool again as everyone realizes they don't need a gigantic SUV to "feel safe" or whatever bullshit you wife spouts to make you buy her an escalade

hatchbacks maybe but pretty certain wagons are dead and never coming back to the US in any meaningful way. pretty much the only reason it would happen is we stop treating SUVs as light trucks for emissions and mileage.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean if your family didn't own a huge 1985 Volvo 850whatever white station wagon or you didn't ride in the back of a Volvo wagon facing backwards you just didn't grow up in the 90s

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
A rusting 1970s Country Squire or GTFO.

:corsair:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I miss my 2000 Legacy wagon. Outbacks had too much plastic hanging off them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What was the American one that rode real high, was long, and I think had AWD? AMC Eagle ?

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I mean if your family didn't own a huge 1985 Volvo 850whatever white station wagon or you didn't ride in the back of a Volvo wagon facing backwards you just didn't grow up in the 90s

My mom had a Buick wagon like that. The back window went down too which was awesome. That loving thing beeped when put into reverse which was the cause of great embarrassment for her.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
We had a Chevy Astro van with captains chairs in the middle that could roate 360 degrees and lock in to every 90 position. We rigged up a small card table and my siblings and I would play Uno and 5 card draw a lot on family trips. On a few occasions dad would spike the brakes and yell "52 card pick up!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I bought a GMC envoy that has had every loving thing break since I purchased it. Not all at once, mind you.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Good news iPhone havers! f.lux is just going to be included in iOS 9.3 as something called Night Shift.
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-introduces-new-night-shift-feature-in-ios-9-3.1949879/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What was the American one that rode real high, was long, and I think had AWD? AMC Eagle ?

Yeah. Pretty baller looking.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Good news iPhone havers! f.lux is just going to be included in iOS 9.3 as something called Night Shift.
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-introduces-new-night-shift-feature-in-ios-9-3.1949879/

Long overdue but still great. Knowing Apple with the first iteration the jailbreak alternative will still probably be preferred

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

lol if you jailbreak your iphone

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

lol if you have an iphone

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

if I see green when we text then stop messaging me with that bullshit you poor

Pls don't probate me for jailbreaking

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Would anyone be interested in a student veterans thread for bitching about being old, campus life, and the horrible things other student vets say/do?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Zeris posted:

Would anyone be interested in a student veterans thread for bitching about being old, campus life, and the horrible things other student vets say/do?

I am always in favor of more content.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know most of the student vets here, but from what I've seen, they're almost entirely Navy and Air Force types. I've met exactly one other dude who has a pseudo-homeless vet beard like me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Pls sticky all threads in GIP

just make sure dogge is at the top tia

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Naked Bear posted:

I don't know most of the student vets here, but from what I've seen, they're almost entirely Navy and Air Force types. I've met exactly one other dude who has a pseudo-homeless vet beard like me.

Deathy is a debbah dawg and I am army, we high five every morning. My beard game is subtle and trim, Deathy has the kind of solid jawline that would be totally wasted if a beard ever obscured it. So uh, hi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

"Here" at my school, that is.

• Locked thread