Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I wonder what the main theme of the game is.
Like Xenoblade's main theme was people losing their humanity because of revenge, but I'm having a hard time summarizing XCX's thing.

XCX's theme is largely about what it means to be alive, with the overarching theme being about different species and their different cultures and ways of life and how that plays into the idea of humanity and what it means to be a living being. Almost all of this is done via the sidequests and such though.

The eventual reveal that you are not humans but humans inhabiting robots plays a lot into that because a lot of the sidequests basically are 'I'm in a robot body, am I even human anymore?"

Edit: I think I should phrase it as "what does it mean to be a person" as opposed to "alive."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

"What makes someone human (or a person like other people) isn't about their body or biology" seems to be a pretty heavy theme

You know what, that makes sense and the game does show that, sadly it's mainly through the sidequests and the way your characters interact with the other xenoforms.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Playing a videogame for the story is like going to a movie for the special effects.

This is silly, there are plenty of games that are made and played with the story as the central focus. One of them was even mentioned in this thread, Trails, a series that's marketed as a "Story RPG".

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

"Story RPG".

This is what they called 999 and DR too....

You know what those really are? Visual Novels.....

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I wonder what the main theme of the game is.
Like one of Xenoblade's main themes was people losing their humanity because of revenge, but I'm having a hard time summarizing XCX's thing.

The main lesson of XCX is that if you have to save only 20 million people in the world, you should at least (endgame spoilers) spare a few spots for the family of the people who are assigned to protect your digitized personality. Honestly, Lao gets a lot of poo poo ITT but the selection committee for the passengers of the White Whale really should have seen this coming after screwing them over like that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
All the coolest thematic stuff is in side quests, but the Ganglion are still a pretty important pillar in how they are throwing and endless, effectively pointless tantrum about their place in the universe and rebelling against mom and dad, to be held in contrast to how great and cool the humans are for being able to roll with the punches and affect their own destiny in real ways.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nobody calls either of those games RPGs what are you talking about

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Davos posted:

Nobody calls either of those games RPGs
You would be surprised.

It's almost the polar opposite effect of people not realizing that Xenoblade Chronicles is an anime game because it had british sounding voice actors.

if things are too anime then it's clearly an RPG.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Zero Escape games are classified as adventure/puzzle games, actually.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

U-DO Burger posted:

The main lesson of XCX is that if you have to save only 20 million people in the world, you should at least (endgame spoilers) spare a few spots for the family of the people who are assigned to protect your digitized personality. Honestly, Lao gets a lot of poo poo ITT but the selection committee for the passengers of the White Whale really should have seen this coming after screwing them over like that.

He gets just the right amount of poo poo because he's a poorly written character (as is standard for JRPG double agents) whose actions don't logically follow his motivations.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just got this. Anything I should know? How do I load a game if I''m already playing?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

zedprime posted:

All the coolest thematic stuff is in side quests, but the Ganglion are still a pretty important pillar in how they are throwing and endless, effectively pointless tantrum about their place in the universe and rebelling against mom and dad, to be held in contrast to how great and cool the humans are for being able to roll with the punches and affect their own destiny in real ways.

To be fair to the ganglion, they're getting a pretty drat raw deal, too. Mom and dad basically made them as throwaways to keep things tidy for their real children, who by simply existing are an existential threat to the ganglion. I mean that doesn't justify their actions and being huge dicks, but their drive is understandable.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Safety Scissors posted:

Just got this. Anything I should know? How do I load a game if I''m already playing?

Settings > Return to Title Screen if you need to revert to last save. You'll also have to do this to regain connection to the online services if you get disconnected as well, just make sure to save before that because there is no autosave.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

You would be surprised.

It's almost the polar opposite effect of people not realizing that Xenoblade Chronicles is an anime game because it had british sounding voice actors.

if things are too anime then it's clearly an RPG.

Taint reaper you seem to understand the game, I've been playing mastermind and the only engaging fight has been against Prince Catman where I got to use sleep on his groupies and have elma whittle him down while boosting evade with that group heal, making use of secondary cooldowns to override slow arts, are the boss fights after that is good? cause I got killed by the mecha red rage mode after little struggle getting it low on health.

Does mastermind just suck? Or just the readability of debuffs? It never really feels like anything is happening. And is Virus really just disabling ranged arts?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gahmah posted:

Taint reaper you seem to understand the game, I've been playing mastermind and the only engaging fight has been against Prince Catman where I got to use sleep on his groupies and have elma whittle him down while boosting evade with that group heal, making use of secondary cooldowns to override slow arts, are the boss fights after that is good? cause I got killed by the mecha red rage mode after little struggle getting it low on health.

Does mastermind just suck? Or just the readability of debuffs? It never really feels like anything is happening. And is Virus really just disabling ranged arts?

Mastermind's debuffs suck. If you want to play it you really have to focus on making your beam cannon hit as hard as possible. Mastermind really feels built around the mind control gimmick but mind control works on absolutely nothing you'd care about aside from maybe farming some high-level enemies early. If you want to use it focus on applying huge lasers to enemy faces as often as possible and probably swap away from dagger towards something that builds TP faster.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gahmah posted:

Raygun classes are honestly just kind of boring due to long cooldowns, lame special conditions, and unimpressive damage. Try the dual swords/guns class. I found it a lot more engaging. Also remember that once you've gotten the end class in a line to 10 you can use its weapons and arts in a different class.

Also yah, that's all virus does.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

chumbler posted:

Raygun classes are honestly just kind of boring due to long cooldowns, lame special conditions, and unimpressive damage. Try the dual swords/guns class. I found it a lot more engaging. Also remember that once you've gotten the end class in a line to 10 you can use its weapons and arts in a different class.

I've got the lightsaber class to the top and although I can use the weapons and skills in other classes I don't think the arts are available. They might be just hard to see though, I dunno.

Also the Prone are super similar to the Mangalore from Fifth Element.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Taear posted:

I've got the lightsaber class to the top and although I can use the weapons and skills in other classes I don't think the arts are available. They might be just hard to see though, I dunno.

The arts still require having the correct weapon equipped.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Safety Scissors posted:

Just so you know, there is no auto-save, so save often

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

Arts are locked by weapon. Skills are not however which is pretty important for maximum effectiveness.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

chumbler posted:

Oh is that what mastering the weapons meant?

Also echoing all the interesting story bits being in side quests blows, there's shapeshifters that have only gotten one mention so far... That's all they get isn't it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gahmah posted:

Also echoing all the interesting story bits being in side quests blows, there's shapeshifters that have only gotten one mention so far... That's all they get isn't it?

Nah, the shapeshifters show up a lot in sidequests.They're just all dominatrixes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gahmah posted:

The shapeshifters' boss, at least up to where I am, is essentially implied to be God or at least an AI that possesses the sum knowledge of the entire universe
The floors in the Monolith Soft offices were littered with balls.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Hahaha are the xenos in the suits really named after toxic substances? Arsenic, aether, etc? This game has some hidden genius to it sometimes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Hahaha are the xenos in the suits really named after toxic substances? Arsenic, aether, etc? This game has some hidden genius to it sometimes.

Oh god drat it I didn't even catch that.

Also like all of the xenos, they have an interesting backstory. Possibly more so than the other xenos.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The suited xenos are pretty good when you realize every other quest of theirs is about teens sneaking off to get really loving high off toxic substances.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
All that Xenoblade talk and you guys missed the biggest issue with it versus XCX - the more dumb side stuff you did, the less fun the game got because you'd over-level the challenge and also it was bad. In XCX the more side content you do, the more fun the game gets because it unlocks more side content and the side content is really fun.

I like XCX more because I like exploring the huge crazy world, I like the sense of progression fighting small to huge ridiculous dinosaurs and the mix of all of them kind of together instead of the usual "each area has monsters for you level" thing, and the idea of building a cosmopolitan city of humans and aliens and dealing with all the problems that come up is really well-done.

Now, it's important to note that this is not mutually exclusive the with better VA, overall better cutscene direction, better and more stream-lined party member design, and better sound design of the first game. That stuff would be great if XCX had it. It'd also be great if we had auto-save.

But as it is, I still love XCX and found it more enthralling than XBC. Also I'm pretty sure MedioGoggles feels the same way because I don't think I've ever seen him logged off.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Tatsu taste like poison poop. I'm loving dying here.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm starting to think that maybe people just want movies and not videogames.

quote:

I am so disappointed with this game. After listening to the original game's LP in the background on and off months before XCX came out I was hyped to be on the ground floor of what could have been another internet phenomenon. But instead all I got was a game that doesn't give me any direction to go in, after the tutorial stops the games gives the player control on what to do and it just leaves me dead in the water. And I hate how the game forced you to explore a certain % of the continent before it allowed you to continue with the story. And I forgot what happened and couldn't even refer to the wiki because it took forever to get that 30% and the wiki wasn't even finished!

Or people are just stupid and don't like paying attention.

or maybe because the definition of a story comes from the amount of bullshit made up loving fanfiction like 99% of the articles on wookiepedia.

quote:

I haven't been this angry with a game in such a long time. I miss when Nintendo made proper story rich games like Legend of Zelda or Splatoon.. None of this is present in Xenoblade the voice actors all suck and the characters all suck, and I loving hate how silent the main character is. This is the company that brought me to emotional tears in Legend of Zelda OoT when Link had to say his heartfelt goodbye to Sariah when he first left Kokori Woods

or they just plain loving hate Freedom, like really the concept of freedom.

quote:

The big sign that this game is bad is that I saw hardly any fan art for it come up. I'm active in numerous fetish communities and people are still thankfully posting new content for Undertale, but I saw nothing for Xenoblade 2. I should have taken that as a warning sign, after spending 3 hours with the game I returned it because I just couldn't stand it, it took forever to get anywhere in the game. The world is too big and there's too many high level monsters in low level areas. I saw a big gorilla and stopped dead in my tracks but it never moved away for enough where I could cross without seeing it. I was so afraid of being attacked that I did not move until it became night and then it magically evaporated(which was pretty immersion breaking I might add). The rules for games is always "you never stray from the drawn road path" and that is a sacred rule. If you force the player off the road, you destroy any concept of familiarity and safety. And people need to know where the safe areas are it's important so they don't die. I don't like dying in videogames!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
lol where is that last thing from

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bloodychill posted:

lol where is that last thing from

All around the internet, maybe gamefaqs? But all the adds from all the bullshit videogame discussion sites and wikis slowed my browser from having 12 tabs open looking for how badly people failed at videogames.

There is also like a multipage argument about why Morrowind sucks and why undertale is better which was what the chat turned into. But the moral is some people just can't get into videogames unless there's fan art and tumblr rants to accompany it.

There's also a lady with 150 hours in Fallout 4 and she never got past the initial starting point after the nuke scene because none of the characters had good fanfiction so she just stayed in her base and hasn't done any of the quests other than the ones where you meet 3 interesting characters who her friends made fan art of or whatever.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 12, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Taint Reaper posted:

There's also a lady with 150 hours in Fallout 4 and she never got past the initial starting point after the nuke scene because none of the characters had good fanfiction so she just stayed in her base and hasn't done any of the quests other than the ones where you meet 3 interesting characters who her friends made fan art of or whatever.

That is the saddest thing.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The Taint Reaper posted:

All around the internet, maybe gamefaqs? But all the adds from all the bullshit videogame discussion sites and wikis slowed my browser from having 12 tabs open looking for how badly people failed at videogames.

There is also like a multipage argument about why Morrowind sucks and why undertale is better which was what the chat turned into. But the moral is some people just can't get into videogames unless there's fan art and tumblr rants to accompany it.

Can we just close down the internet?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

quote:

The big sign that this game is bad is that I saw hardly any fan art for it come up. I'm active in numerous fetish communities and people are still thankfully posting new content for Undertale, but I saw nothing for Xenoblade 2. I should have taken that as a warning sign, after spending 3 hours with the game I returned it because I just couldn't stand it, it took forever to get anywhere in the game. The world is too big and there's too many high level monsters in low level areas. I saw a big gorilla and stopped dead in my tracks but it never moved away for enough where I could cross without seeing it. I was so afraid of being attacked that I did not move until it became night and then it magically evaporated(which was pretty immersion breaking I might add). The rules for games is always "you never stray from the drawn road path" and that is a sacred rule. If you force the player off the road, you destroy any concept of familiarity and safety. And people need to know where the safe areas are it's important so they don't die. I don't like dying in videogames!
Wait what? Who in the right mind would you take fetish communities as a sign of something good? :psyduck: They still make fanart for TNMT the 80s series.

I was just scouting around yesterday in chapter 4. Slowly making my way to the lifehold, when I saw a large wreckage floating in the water. I made my way there and saw a lot of blue objects around it. Figuring it was some kind of epic hold I swam over to check it out picking up the blue thing as I went. When I was about to interact with it, the object got up and transformed into a giant robot (something the guardian a lvl 60 thing). It skewered Elma with over 25000 in damage. :stare: So I ran away.

The sense of fear and exploration in this brilliant.

I'm very happy with the way my character looks, especially when the lifehold bit exploded. I run around with white hair, glowing eyes. He's shirtless, but with a single armored arm, a scouter and leather pants making me look like a weird cyborg. Per chance he used the single armored arm to shield himself. It was the first time I felt connected to my avatar. Normally the fact that he's so quiet just doesn't help immersion.
My first encounter with the Ganglion didn't go so well. She kicked my rear end.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 12, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
God dammit, I am down to one. Goddamn. Lobster. I've checked the guidebook locations twice, even the ones I know I've gotten, but I'm still 48/49 for the loving things :argh:.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
If it's the last one of the first set, I think it spawns in the southwest corner of the Commercial District after you've picked up the first 48; they need you there for a cutscene.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unoriginal One posted:

If it's the last one of the first set, I think it spawns in the southwest corner of the Commercial District after you've picked up the first 48; they need you there for a cutscene.

Ahh, gotcha.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
The game's story hurts my head. It feels like it went through a whole bunch of rewrites and every time they did that, they didn't bother to see if they'd hosed something up.

(spoilers for the whole thing)

I know Elma at some point mentions that the lifehold has to be somewhere close, because there's no noticeable signal delay to her actions. I don't understand how you can lose a thing that's supposed to be in constant radio (or whatever) communication with thousands and thousands of robot people bodies. It'd be like wandering around outside during the day and being unable to find the sun. I think they could've gotten away with that with the reveal at the end that everybody's computer data was destroyed in the crash and now everyone's body is now actually being driven by the planet's magic leprechauns, but that still doesn't make sense since Elma is actually a real person remotely controlling a mim.

Speaking of Elma being a real person, she turns off her mim and wakes her real body up. Which she could presumably just have done at any point in time to turn on the power thingies in the lifehold and probably also discover where it was. Dick move, Elma.

Why is 90% of BLADE comprised of libertarian mercenary assholes who try to murder me, steal my money or take credit for my jobs while we're trying to find the one thing that will keep all of us alive? It's extra hilarious if you have Nagi in your party for some of these cutscenes. Nobody ever seems to get in trouble for it. Shouldn't there be like MPs or cops or something?

There's like zero consistency with the reality of people being in mims. You meet and perform sidequests for a whole bunch of people whose loved ones have been killed on the planet and help them mourn and move on with their lives. Like the lady who used to own the shop that L ends up buying after her husband 'died'. But that lady's a citizen of NLA and would surely know that her husband isn't dead, his mim's just broken and they'll make him a new one once they find the lifehold thingy. The only way she'd actually have lost her husband would be if the whole lifehold was lost, which would mean she'd be dead too, right? There's a poo poo ton of stories like this in the game. None of them make a drat lick of sense. Why do mims need food and water? Why do mims die without prompt medical care after injuries? How the gently caress do alien egg parasites at the water treatment plant on the lake end up infecting a bunch of robot bodies and turn them into monsters? It either feels like the whole concept of mims was a late addition to the project or several of the game's writers were never told about it and nobody bothered to edit their work into a cohesive whole.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, Yelv's affinity chain ended ominously.

In other news, got my Ether Dancer basic setup done, minus the third Arts gain tp aug I want to add. Thank you to whoever did that treasure deal, made everything afterwards go much faster.

Now just to bomb around doing the normal missions for chapter 11 before finishing chapter 12 and punching that loving numbnuts Lao's face in. Again. Probably. Why did my character shield him, rather than just move Lin out of the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Bedurndurn posted:

Ending Discussion

Doesn't Elma have to press buttons and poo poo on the central computer to transfer back? I seem to recall that happening. So presumably she needed someone on site to initiate the process.

• Locked thread