Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

That's a really neat backstory comic. Are there others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

All kings have body doubles, and after the original king got leprosy, all the body doubles had to get it too.

armadillos carry leprosy

leper's animal companion confirmed

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
beloved, pious noble contracts leprosy and interprets it as a curse from god, goes in search of absolution in the encroaching darkness of the estate.

good poo poo

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've already been cursed by God, how much worse can it...

Oh.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Olive Branch posted:

That's a really neat backstory comic. Are there others?

There's 4 of them and they seem to be releasing about one every 10 days or so loving randomly.
You can find links to the other three at the bottom of the blog post for that one:
http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-presents-the-leper/

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I started playing this again. Noticed one the UI changes made a list of enemy skills once you encounter them. That's cool, but is there a way to actually read a description of the skills. With some enemies its easy to figure out but with others I'm not sure what a skill does or the specific details about when they use it.

I ask because a drowned corpse in the Cove once decided to explode and nearly killed my entire party so now I'm terrified that they can all do that whenever they want.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Seriously Collector, we need to have a talk, I don't mind fighting your busted powerful rear end when I'm trying to rightfully just level everyone up to Rank 6, but could you maybe drop a head and NOT your Trapezohedron for the 80th time.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Internet Kraken posted:

So I started playing this again. Noticed one the UI changes made a list of enemy skills once you encounter them. That's cool, but is there a way to actually read a description of the skills. With some enemies its easy to figure out but with others I'm not sure what a skill does or the specific details about when they use it.

I ask because a drowned corpse in the Cove once decided to explode and nearly killed my entire party so now I'm terrified that they can all do that whenever they want.

Nope. You learn by doing in this game :henget:

Kill the thrall before his turn on Round 2, he will always explode if he gets to go in Round 2

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
First round it gets defended by the shield fish, or better, there's two of each and they both do it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Welp, From now on if I start a mission, even a short mission and I've forgot to purchase supplies, I'm just retreating immediately, my poor Leper and Crusader. I now have two slots open and those two replacements are going to have to brave the Rank 5 Dungeons.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Sanguinaire posted:

First round it gets defended by the shield fish, or better, there's two of each and they both do it.

and that's why you stack speed :v:

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Nope. You learn by doing in this game :henget:

Kill the thrall before his turn on Round 2, he will always explode if he gets to go in Round 2

Actually if you stun the Thrall before his turn on round 1 he will do a standard attack on round 2. I think he is programmed to always do a normal attack first before exploding.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

There's 4 of them and they seem to be releasing about one every 10 days or so loving randomly.
You can find links to the other three at the bottom of the blog post for that one:
http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-presents-the-leper/
You're awesome, thanks!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

And just lost my occultist and my Vestal to another failed run, this one I was equipped for but... well that loving troll + stress got me. Almost lost Reynauld to. So yeah The Rank 5's are FAR harder than the Rank 3s. Even with fully upgraded guys.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hate when I have to abandon a run to a boss and the ensuing battles gently caress things up. lost highest level 4 vestal and stressed the others out while looking for the Flesh...probably should have taken someone with better scouting since I was just going around and round looking for that gross fucker. I miss my houndmens but I lose them all the time now.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

MinibarMatchman posted:

hate when I have to abandon a run to a boss and the ensuing battles gently caress things up. lost highest level 4 vestal and stressed the others out while looking for the Flesh...probably should have taken someone with better scouting since I was just going around and round looking for that gross fucker. I miss my houndmens but I lose them all the time now.

I've noticed that bosses always seem to spawn in a room with maximum distance from the starting room. Some maps let you avoid a lot of fights and go straight there.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pavlov posted:

I've noticed that bosses always seem to spawn in a room with maximum distance from the starting room. Some maps let you avoid a lot of fights and go straight there.

Confirming this, was gonna post the same thing. Haven't seen any exceptions that I recall.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

And just lost my occultist and my Vestal to another failed run, this one I was equipped for but... well that loving troll + stress got me. Almost lost Reynauld to. So yeah The Rank 5's are FAR harder than the Rank 3s. Even with fully upgraded guys.

Yup. One thing to note is that there is a huge jump in enemy dodge rating, way more than you get from that final skill upgrade, so don't skimp on +accuracy gear. It's also probably time to cure everyone's rabies thst you've been abusing for the damage bonus.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Believe I've found a bug; the Occultist's heal says it goes between 0-14, but I can safely say it always does 0-4 :rolldice:

I don't remember this game being so hard. I was doing fine up until I hit rank 3 dungeons, and now I've actually lost a few heroes and have had to retreat a bunch. The cost of repairing the sanity damage and supplies on each expedition isn't giving me enough gold to fully upgrade all my units, but even if I did it doesn't feel like it would make a huge difference. Cause it wouldn't stop a giant crab from pinching open my bounty hunter and making him nearly bleed to death in two loving turns.

My party composition is probably the issue. Keep running oddball teams due to stress levels.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yup. One thing to note is that there is a huge jump in enemy dodge rating, way more than you get from that final skill upgrade, so don't skimp on +accuracy gear. It's also probably time to cure everyone's rabies thst you've been abusing for the damage bonus.

Yup, the accuracy is most notable now, That's made my Leper suffer heavily, it's also made the Arbalest even more useful due to being able to rain death from Range 4. Just wondering what to replace them with, another Vestal since they're so useful as healers, but I'm wondering (since I already have two Crusaders) if I shouldn't recruit something else, Or, just hang off on recruiting until the Merchant arrives, unless they intend to increase the amount of units you have for that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just started on the game. I am wondering if there is a fail state in the game, hard or soft. Also, I am assuming that unused torches and food are sold off at the end of an expedition?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 12, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I just started on the game. I am wondering if there is a fail state in the game, hard or soft. Also, I am assuming that unused torches and food are sold off at the end of an expedition?

there's no failstate of any kind in this game. you could wipe out all 25 heroes but you'll always be able to pick up at least 3 or 4 from the wagon and keep trucking. it would supremely suck to get to the point where you have zero gold, upgrades, or leveled characters, but that would require some spectacular failure on the part of the player.

the newgame+ supposedly will offer a kind of designated failure but I'm not sure what that entails yet. as of right now, the only thing close to "gently caress you, do or die" in the normal game will be when you enter the 5th zone, the Darkest Dungeon--any team that enters cannot retreat.

and yes all your unused poo poo is sold at the end of a run. it's not sold for much but at least you get some kind of pity refund.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Your extra food and torches get sold back but at a heavy discount, I think 5 gold per food and 15 per torch. Even so, better have extra food on hand in case you're adventuring some gluttons.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyayQQAVEGo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there a reason the Arbalest can't heal the 4th spot? There doesn't seem to be anything in her skill that says you shouldn't be able too. Kind of troublesome when you have a healer that can't actually heal everyone.

Man and I thought I was bad at naming heroes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there a reason the Arbalest can't heal the 4th spot? There doesn't seem to be anything in her skill that says you shouldn't be able too. Kind of troublesome when you have a healer that can't actually heal everyone.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but Arbalest's heal only has lit up icons for the front 3 positions. The ability tells you that you can't use it on the back row.

Are you looking for like a lore explanation?

And Arbalest isn't a 'healer' just because she has one heal ability. Darkest Dungeon doesn't have a holy trinity of roles. Being able to heal is still useful or if you don't like that ability, use one of the arbalest's other ones. And even with Arbalest's heal you could still heal everybody as long as you're using moves, or characters who move as part of their actions. Lots of ways to strategize.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You take abreast for blindside snyways

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Normal Adult Human posted:

You take abreast for blindside snyways

That's a fun freudian slip of a typo :cheeky:

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I've been playing a lot of this game and am loving it. Currently running a Jester/Occultist/Abomination/Highwayman after messing around with a bunch of :catholic: lineups plus a double Plague Doctor team that I want to go back to. But the Jester's Stress heal and stacking Chant is just too good, especially in combination with the Occultist's heals (gotta love Wyrd Reconstruction crits) and the ridiculous DPS of the Abomination and Highwayman.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
In case anyone was curious, I did a 4 abomination run and somehow managed to get out with all 4 alive and only one close to breaking.

It was dumb and boring so I don't recommend it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
But what about 3 abominations and a jester playing sick tunes? :v:

I don't really like the abomination. I mean, I like the class itself but the crusader and vestal (and leper but who cares) refusing to travel with it is annoying.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't really like the abomination.

Jester + Abomination is this game's Medic + Heavy. Strong by themselves, indispensable together.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man, had some rough level 3 short runs that just destroyed me and killed 3 high level people. Then made a new team with two G-Robbers in it and boy, I must have forgotten how damaging the thrown dagger attack is because wtf.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Only 3 classes left to Rank 6, Grave Robber, Houndmaster and Jester (all one mission away from Rank 6) After which, I just have to go and wipe out the Rank 5 bosses. Also I got my first Ancestral Trinket, it was inside the guts of a fish in the cove.

MinibarMatchman posted:

man, had some rough level 3 short runs that just destroyed me and killed 3 high level people. Then made a new team with two G-Robbers in it and boy, I must have forgotten how damaging the thrown dagger attack is because wtf.

Every time the difficulty level has raised, I've lost people, I'm pretty sure the Darkest Dungeon will also cost me a few teams.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Pro tip, don't run short missions. The only time you should bother is with a pile of level 0s. After that the camp buffs are so much stronger that there is no reason to run a short.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Does anyone know if it's a bug or feature that my Occultist can crit Wyrd Reconstruction and only heal for 4?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

Pro tip, don't run short missions. The only time you should bother is with a pile of level 0s. After that the camp buffs are so much stronger that there is no reason to run a short.

Mediums forever. Longs are also not really ideal unless you really want the reward. A medium will generally fill up your inventory almost completely with good quality loot. In a long you wind up throwing away tons of reasonably valuable loot, so your gold/time ratio is way off.

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Does anyone know if it's a bug or feature that my Occultist can crit Wyrd Reconstruction and only heal for 4?

:xcom:

I'm reasonably sure I've seen an Occ crit for 0 before.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

A crit is just double I think...although I have seen odd numbered crits, that must happen when protection reduces damage. So Occultist rolls a 2, crits to 4. And yeah if he rolled a 0 it would crit for 0.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Devonaut posted:

A crit is just double I think...although I have seen odd numbered crits, that must happen when protection reduces damage. So Occultist rolls a 2, crits to 4. And yeah if he rolled a 0 it would crit for 0.

I'm pretty sure they removed crit heals for 0 a few patches back but otherwise yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I had a pretty awful bug just happen to me now. I had sent four heroes to fight the Necromancer, and only loaded up with 3. My healer was gone. I got an error assert screen and all but the only thing I could do was press ESC to skip the error. gently caress.

Edit: A retreat did another assert check. It asked if my hero died, thankfully the Occultist was sitting back at base. Wasted week. :(

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 13, 2016