Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crain posted:

-Agrees that there should be a road block

Yup

quote:

-Say they shouldn't set up a roadblock.

Bzz, Response made in light of the fact they haven't set up road blocks doesn't mean I don't think they should set up road blocks. Jesus loving christ

quote:

-Are totally fine with the situation getting worse.

When it only involves these assholes, why should anyone care. The movement began and failed through the same people on it's own.

quote:

I get that most of what you're posting is "this is a non-issue, non-story, these guys are nothing to worry about" and that's fine.

But I don't agree with the complete lack of visible action from Law Enforcement, and it's not looking like the prediction of "they'll just get bored in two weeks and leave" is going to come true. I'm also worrying more about what the next standoff like this is going to be, if some other group sees this and decides it's a good idea to actually try and take on a government office when it's not closed for the holidays.

Then it'll happen no matter what in your world. Government does nothing, people raid buildings. Government actively does something, well, history bears out that does send people off to blow up buildings and shoot people.

theflyingorc posted:

OK, so the problem is the FBI aren't coming in and doing something, so they've created a situation where the children will be shot by the FBI. Got it.

No seriously, as long as the FBI continues to do nothing, what, exactly, is going to happen? How is this situation going to boil over?

Well didn't you see?! They spray painted some trucks and took down a section of fence. Obviously the next step is occupation of the entire west coast!

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SocketWrench posted:

Well didn't you see?! They spray painted some trucks and took down a section of fence. Obviously the next step is occupation of the entire west coast!
Yup. I still see these guys as getting increasingly desperate for things to do. They're completely off the front page of CNN, and only a small article on the US page. The media circus is 4-5 days from being over unless they shoot somebody.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

When it only involves these assholes, why should anyone care. The movement began and failed through the same people on it's own.

It demonstrably isn't only involving 'these assholes' precisely because there aren't any roadblocks. If that's what you mean, then alright. If not, I'm going to continue to marvel at the ability of this situation to make a fair number of people keep firmly believing that literally no one lives anywhere near the occupied sanctuary and the sanctuary serves absolutely no purpose and has no ongoing projects and nobody actually works there despite the reality, which now includes militia dudes literally patrolling the nearest loving town and BLM employees being warned to leave their homes for their own safety because 'these assholes' might very well now have their home addresses.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

according to a judge it's costing 60-70k the gov 60-70k a day for the militia to occupy that station and he's gonna send bundy the bill once all this is done

good thing they didn't go to the expense of blockading the loving station, ending this earlier might've cost the government less money!

At an absolute minimum every person participating in this insurrectionist bullshit should be financially responsible for this. Treat it like a giant camping party and lien everything they own until they pay for their outing.

Do you have a link to this judge person you mention? I'd like to mail him or her a tasty box of muffins in support.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So when were the schools going to reopen in Burns? Is that going to be delayed due to the roving "patriots" armed with assault weapons?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Which one of you guys sent the gummy dicks?

quote:

They have apparently received some unwanted gifts, such as sex toys, as seen in a Facebook video posted by Jon Ritzheimer, an Arizona veteran who is taking part in the occupation.

“It was really mind-blowing to me that people would actually spend their money (on this),” Ritzheimer said. “This box right here, $17.90 (for shipping). They spend and waste their money on all this hateful stuff to send out here to us and buy this ridiculous stuff. This one was really funny — a ‘bag of dicks.’ Rather than going out and doing good, they just spend all their money on hate and hate.”

He then angrily shoved all the unwanted gifts off a table and onto the floor.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So here's some updates on the community meetings last night cobbled together from unverified tweets, verified tweets, news stories, and crazy people:

Pete Santilli (Right-Wing crazy and Hillary Clinton threatener) was at the meeting to act as press and decided that the smart thing to do was apparently shout questions incessantly at people who were given the mic to speak. He was promptly removed:

WATCH: Residents Cheer As Militants’ Spokesman Kicked Out Of Town Meeting

Turns out this was not a random choice of protest after the initial protest at the Hammond's arraignment at the court house. Although I don't think anyone thought it was completely off the cuff, Ammon and Co. were planning this standoff for upwards of two months in secret. And yet they still managed to not bring enough supplies or wool socks. Good job guys.

Oregon occupation planned for months by Ammon Bundy and Montana militia leader

quote:

It may have looked spontaneous, but the takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge a week ago was part of a plan Ammon Bundy and a trusted associate developed largely in secret over the past two months.

Bundy, the son of controversial Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, and Ryan Payne, a militia leader from Montana, came to believe that an armed occupation was the only way to bring enough attention to a pair of local ranchers heading to prison and change the underlying problem: federal land ownership.

There is more than a little intimidation in town by the militia members. We knew about the Sheriff, his wife, and parents being stalked by militia members, but now it's being reported that other members of the Sheriff's office, local police, Fish & Wildlife employees, and their families are facing intimidation, stalking, and harassment.

Sheriff handling Oregon standoff denounces intimidation of law enforcement

quote:

Since the occupation began, there have been reports of law enforcement being followed home or watched, Sheriff Ward said in a written statement. A recent call to action by one of the groups drew many more people to Harney County, and the intimidating behavior continued, he said.

Although the sheriff did not identify any specific groups or individuals, the Pacific Patriot Network, a coalition of anti-government groups, put out a statement Jan. 7 urging its members to come to the wildlife refuge.

One of the network's founders bristled at the idea that his organization could be responsible for harassing law enforcement.

"That's not anything we tolerate and its not anything that we're doing," Joseph Rice said.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife employees have told the Sheriff that they've been approached by self-styled militia members while grocery shopping or running errands with their families. The militia members would "engage employees and family members in debates about their status as Federal employees," Sheriff Ward said.

And the guys at the Oregonian/Oregon live put together a short video showing some of the Bundy militia explaining why they are there. Responses range from "I read the constitution, too many unconstitutional things are happening" to "I support what they're doing, just not how they're doing it." to "They're Americans, standing up for Americans, against BLM corruption". Also shows a couple of people who are there now who were part of the 2014 Cliven Bundy stand-off, as if there were any doubt this wasn't part of that campaign still.

Why are you here? Hear from occupiers and their visitors

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Rhesus Pieces posted:

"They just spend all their money on hate and hate"

:ironicat:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhesus Pieces posted:

quote:

Ritzheimer urged fellow “patriots” to join them in Oregon for “history in the making,” and he offered a message to his family.

“Please look at this as a deployment, only this time I’m actually serving my country rather than being sent over seas to line the pockets of corrupt politicians,” he said. “It is our sacrifice as a family that will make this country great again, not some election.”

You fucks have never ever been deployed more than likely, and you are just playing soldier and have never actually had to sacrifice like actual troops.

gently caress you.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

quote:

He then angrily shoved all the unwanted gifts off a table and onto the floor.

Ahaha! I imagine him going "myaaa!!!!" like an irritated child when he shoved the candy off the table then pouting.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Roland Jones posted:

So when were the schools going to reopen in Burns? Is that going to be delayed due to the roving "patriots" armed with assault weapons?

The school districts are back open.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

kartikeya posted:

It demonstrably isn't only involving 'these assholes' precisely because there aren't any roadblocks. If that's what you mean, then alright. If not, I'm going to continue to marvel at the ability of this situation to make a fair number of people keep firmly believing that literally no one lives anywhere near the occupied sanctuary and the sanctuary serves absolutely no purpose and has no ongoing projects and nobody actually works there despite the reality, which now includes militia dudes literally patrolling the nearest loving town and BLM employees being warned to leave their homes for their own safety because 'these assholes' might very well now have their home addresses.

If it's not involving just these assholes, then people should care.
It's not a very complex thing to figure out from that line.
And as I already said, yes, there probably should be roadblocks.

I want to play some devil's advocate though, these people that slashed tires, followed the wife, and threatened the sheriff and his parents, are they positively just this group? Are they fed up locals?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Radish posted:

Ahaha! I imagine him going "myaaa!!!!" like an irritated child when he shoved the candy off the table then pouting.

You don't have to imagine.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
what a surprise, the ranchers found the gifts strange, rather than reacting to them like a vampire to a cross

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

I want to play some devil's advocate though, these people that slashed tires, followed the wife, and threatened the sheriff and his parents, are they positively just this group? Are they fed up locals?

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/sheriff_managing_oregon_stando.html

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Yup. I still see these guys as getting increasingly desperate for things to do. They're completely off the front page of CNN, and only a small article on the US page. The media circus is 4-5 days from being over unless they shoot somebody.

At best you can say that this is becoming a specifically regional story. Because there's plenty of news stories coming out of regional news sources. Also there was yet another full community meeting with the sheriff's office, local leaders, militia members and the public last night.

Also I completely disagree that these guys want to stay in the national news. At least not the main guys.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Beautiful. The irony kills me that they bitch about people spending money on that while begging people to spend money on what they want.

"Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward accused militias Monday of harassing law enforcement officials and federal employees."

And? They accused, with nothing really to back it up except "they were made to intimidate" which could only be done by those dastardly Bundys and no one else. This poo poo wouldn't hold up in court, I'm afraid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SocketWrench posted:

"Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward accused militias Monday of harassing law enforcement officials and federal employees."

And? They accused, with nothing really to back it up except "they were made to intimidate" which could only be done by those dastardly Bundys and no one else. This poo poo wouldn't hold up in court, I'm afraid.

That must be why the County Police have advised the Federal Employees to find somewhere else to stay till this blows over....

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

And with this we can just ignore you. Like kartikeya's been saying you and PTD and theflyingorc are not reading anything anyone's posting and are just playing contrarian.

From the article posted:

U.S. Fish and Wildlife employees have told the Sheriff that they've been approached by self-styled militia members while grocery shopping or running errands with their families. The militia members would "engage employees and family members in debates about their status as Federal employees," Sheriff Ward said.

People are being harassed.

Now go away.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crain posted:

And with this we can just ignore you. Like kartikeya's been saying you and PTD and theflyingorc are not reading anything anyone's posting and are just playing contrarian.

Now go away.

Certainly sounds like slashing tires and threats to me!

I have no doubt the vast majority at least is these fuckers and other like mined people. But I also don't find it hard to believe some pissed off locals would do the same for the inaction that takes place.

CommieGIR posted:

That must be why the County Police have advised the Federal Employees to find somewhere else to stay till this blows over....

Because they might have their addresses. You know that doesn't mean anything but for safety's sake, since they might have your address, you might want to go stay somewhere else, right?

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 12, 2016

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Crain posted:

So here's some updates on the community meetings last night cobbled together from unverified tweets, verified tweets, news stories, and crazy people:

Pete Santilli (Right-Wing crazy and Hillary Clinton threatener) was at the meeting to act as press and decided that the smart thing to do was apparently shout questions incessantly at people who were given the mic to speak. He was promptly removed:

WATCH: Residents Cheer As Militants’ Spokesman Kicked Out Of Town Meeting

Turns out this was not a random choice of protest after the initial protest at the Hammond's arraignment at the court house. Although I don't think anyone thought it was completely off the cuff, Ammon and Co. were planning this standoff for upwards of two months in secret. And yet they still managed to not bring enough supplies or wool socks. Good job guys.

Oregon occupation planned for months by Ammon Bundy and Montana militia leader

There is more than a little intimidation in town by the militia members. We knew about the Sheriff, his wife, and parents being stalked by militia members, but now it's being reported that other members of the Sheriff's office, local police, Fish & Wildlife employees, and their families are facing intimidation, stalking, and harassment.

Sheriff handling Oregon standoff denounces intimidation of law enforcement

And the guys at the Oregonian/Oregon live put together a short video showing some of the Bundy militia explaining why they are there. Responses range from "I read the constitution, too many unconstitutional things are happening" to "I support what they're doing, just not how they're doing it." to "They're Americans, standing up for Americans, against BLM corruption". Also shows a couple of people who are there now who were part of the 2014 Cliven Bundy stand-off, as if there were any doubt this wasn't part of that campaign still.

Why are you here? Hear from occupiers and their visitors

Every one of these links is worth a click. Glad to finally see some really thorough reporting instead of just another day of "some more people with guns showed up and they were turned away, but actually they weren't"

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If some random person came up to me in the grocery store and started asking me why I'm a federal employee that would freak me the gently caress out. If this is actually happening (not sure why the sheriff would lie about it but it's a possibility I suppose) it's pretty likely that the occupiers are involved, as they have the names and addresses of the employees.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's beautiful.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Radish posted:

That's beautiful.

Reminds me of watching those idiots peddle knives on late night tv, especially when he starts on about shipping. I was waiting for that sidebar to pop up with the item number

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Radish posted:

That's beautiful.

And then he had to pick it up again because lol @ just filming yourself trashing the place.

It's like the teleporting plastic skull from that Dark Enlightenment guy's video.

Bet you he practiced that several times to get it right too.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

As soon as the camera was off, he went back for the dildo.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Radish posted:

That's beautiful.

Gummy dicks is hate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SocketWrench posted:

Because they might have their addresses. You know that doesn't mean anything but for safety's sake, since they might have your address, you might want to go stay somewhere else, right?

So they are dangerous? Make up your mind.

Crain posted:

Now go away.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SocketWrench posted:

You were acting like it could be just anybody harassing these employees:

SocketWrench posted:

But who else would even know who they were? And this isn't a courtroom, no poo poo it wouldn't hold up in court.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Crain posted:

Can't rule out that their plan was for Harney county, including the sheriff, to join the cause and support them. They have been the real welfare queens their entire lives.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Sending sex toys sound like it's on the opposite end of the spectrum from hate.

Hell if he doesn't want this stuff I'll take it.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Someone will get hurt eventually and then people who support them will backpeddle and no one with half a brain will be surprised an armed militia was actually a danger to the people around them.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

http://video-embed.oregonlive.com/s...j1w_CktvJfhQVVG

SocketWrench posted:

But I also don't find it hard to believe some pissed off locals would do the same for the inaction that takes place.

Hmm yes. These locals are just lying. You're a real big boy Socket Wrench. We're amazing at the emotional fortitude you're exerting to dismiss these people's fears from the safety of your distant and un-involved home.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

This started happening immediately after the occupation began, and has increased in victims and intensity since then. So yes, pretty positively this group, especially considering that report above with people getting confronted while grocery shopping by militia members. This is an extremely small community; everyone practically knows everyone (or knows someone who knows people they don't), especially if you're someone prominent like the sheriff or his wife.

Also I feel like a broken record but remember that time, you know, a few days back, when they talked about hanging the sheriff from a lamp post? Because that's also a thing. People are fleeing their homes, or being advised to by their bosses, getting stalked by nuts with guns, and having to deal with militia dudes acting like they're cops because of this loving occupation, and the guys with the training and the manpower to protect them are, to all appearances, doing absolutely loving nothing but sitting and 'observing'. Maybe you guys are right and they have some super secret amazing plan they're going to pull off to end this all in one swoop and cart everyone off to stand trial and serve prison sentences, in which case, sure, great, that needs to happen, but they are putting the public at ridiculous risk right now and that's not remotely okay.

Also, pretty sure the person who spent the money to send that bag of gummy dicks is thinking it was worth every penny right about now.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Why would gov't workers have to leave their homes if these are just peaceful white men exercising their 2nd amendment rights? :)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Here's an easier link to use, since the player on the Oregonian site is kinda messing up sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlFKyLArzE

SocketWrench: Your take on this little liar who just doesn't like the hands off approach? Just a wimp who can't handle some random questions in the super market?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"these thugs are driving around, with guns in their cars, and asking people questions and making them uncomfortable" -posters ITT and also white conservatives reacting to the black panthers circa 1960

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

"these thugs are driving around, with guns in their cars, and asking people questions and making them uncomfortable" -posters ITT and also white conservatives reacting to the black panthers circa 1960

What the gently caress is your problem?

Be specific.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Crain posted:

Hmm, yes. *FARRRRRRTSSSSS* indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Wanamingo posted:

What the gently caress is your problem?

Be specific.

He's building up his resume for a chance at his lifelong dream job as a slab of reactor shielding.

• Locked thread