Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TheQat posted:

is there a way to get the phone to reset volume when i plug something into the headphone jack? i'm usually using max volume in the car w/aux cable and it would be nice to not have to remember to drop the volume manually the next time i want to use actual headphones

The headphone port distinguishes between mic (i.e. 3 rings) and no mic (2 rings) and has a volume level for each. I'm assuming you're using standard no-mic headphones at home, so if you could find a 3-ring aux cable for the car, that would solve your issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Night Shift mode sounds sweet as hell. F.lux without the jailbreak, yes please. Coming in 9.3 apparently.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

decypher posted:

Night Shift mode sounds sweet as hell. F.lux without the jailbreak, yes please. Coming in 9.3 apparently.

Just tried it out.. very glad it's out. Tempted to upgrade my wife's phone to beta for this feature alone... I think that would just end in tragedy though the first time something went haywire.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

Just tried it out.. very glad it's out. Tempted to upgrade my wife's phone to beta for this feature alone... I think that would just end in tragedy though the first time something went haywire.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-introduces-new-night-shift-feature-in-ios-9-3.1949879/

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

this is gooooooooooöd

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

What are you trying to tell me? Is there something I'm supposed to read that thread for that you could just come out and say?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I will use that if I can turn it on from the bottom drawer otherwise I'll just stay up.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
9.3 isn't out for appleseed peoples yet :( I want my Night Shift

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Irritated Goat posted:

9.3 isn't out for appleseed peoples yet :( I want my Night Shift

I got the e-mail 4 hours ago? Downloading now, either way.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Maybe the update will fix Siri. Any Siri activity that requires interaction with an app (calls, texting, timers etc) works 1 time after a reboot and then just results in an Uh Oh message. I found a thread on Apple Support about it but no one seems to have a solution. I kind of wonder if it is something to do with how Apple turned off Hey Siri on the 6 with the battery case- because I think that is about when it started.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Maybe the update will fix Siri. Any Siri activity that requires interaction with an app (calls, texting, timers etc) works 1 time after a reboot and then just results in an Uh Oh message. I found a thread on Apple Support about it but no one seems to have a solution. I kind of wonder if it is something to do with how Apple turned off Hey Siri on the 6 with the battery case- because I think that is about when it started.

I don't think it's a widespread problem. Have you considered that you have mishandled your phone and that is why you and a subset of people are having issues?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Edit: ^^ WTF kind of "mishandling" causes Siri to be unable to open apps?

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I cracked my screen the other day and just got a replacement phone with Applecare+... In the two days since then I've had this problem constantly, whereas I never had any trouble before. I can't get Siri to do a goddamn thing. I'm in the middle of restoring the phone right now, and I'll edit this post with an update as to whether or not that fixes it. If not, I'm going to demand a replacement replacement tomorrow.

EDIT: OS Restore via iTunes worked (data restored from iCloud). Give that a try.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 12, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You have a 90 day warranty on the replacement, so they should do it without question if it's reproducible (which sounds like the case).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Choadmaster posted:

Edit: ^^ WTF kind of "mishandling" causes Siri to be unable to open apps?

You might dislodge the tiny assembly of gears, chains, and sprockets that activates "hey siri".

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
it should be easy to trigger "hey siri" it's not sprocket science

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

withak posted:

You might dislodge the tiny assembly of gears, chains, and sprockets that activates "hey siri".

I'm pretty sure mine are all intact. Maybe it's because I lost my top hat with the green googles and brass pocket watch attached? I didn't think it was a necessary accessory but sometimes I'm wrong about these things.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Random errors occurring with software, user error or damage to the phone are primary causes of phone issues, especially when very, very few people are experiencing a problem. My point was that it's unlikely an update issue, when the adoption rate for updates is so high and so few people were affected. Glad you could solve your issue.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Probably more apropes here than app thread. Through my own dunderheadedness I bought an Apple Store NZ gift card rather than an iTunes NZ gift card.

Any of you folks in NZ want a slightly discounted digital gift card?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Feenix posted:

Probably more apropes here than app thread. Through my own dunderheadedness I bought an Apple Store NZ gift card rather than an iTunes NZ gift card.

You can buy an iTunes card with the Apple Store card.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

e.pilot posted:

You can buy an iTunes card with the Apple Store card.

Can you? I'm in the USA and the places (links) I have tried to go want a payment but I can't see where to use the gift card. And regular mailing of a physical card is not a possibility.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

How many moonbucks did you accidentally buy?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tuyop posted:

How many moonbucks did you accidentally buy?

32. And I intended to buy moonbucks, but just for the App Store, not retail...:/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Feenix posted:

Can you? I'm in the USA and the places (links) I have tried to go want a payment but I can't see where to use the gift card. And regular mailing of a physical card is not a possibility.

Yup, I used to do that all the time when I worked at the Apple Store for people who made just such a mistake. I don't understand why they keep them separate.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

e.pilot posted:

Yup, I used to do that all the time when I worked at the Apple Store for people who made just such a mistake. I don't understand why they keep them separate.

How? please enlighten? Are you saying I can go into an Apple Store in the USA (or call Apple) and have them take a New Zealand retail gift card and turn it into a New Zealand iTunes Gift card? Or at the very least I to something I can use here I the US?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Feenix posted:

How? please enlighten? Are you saying I can go into an Apple Store in the USA (or call Apple) and have them take a New Zealand retail gift card and turn it into a New Zealand iTunes Gift card? Or at the very least I to something I can use here I the US?

I think he's saying you can go to a retail location and then just get an iTunes card for the same amount.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

I think he's saying you can go to a retail location and then just get an iTunes card for the same amount.

Yes that sounded like what he was saying but I was uncertain if a US Apple Store could process an NZ GC.

I'll call and ask tomorrow.

[edit] Resolved. American Apple Phone Support was able to deactivate it for refund. That was their only move, but it was sufficient.
:)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 12, 2016

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I don't think it's a widespread problem. Have you considered that you have mishandled your phone and that is why you and a subset of people are having issues?

I have never dropped my phone, and I can't imagine that I have mishandled something in the software that would miraculously cause Siri to be unable to connect to other apps. There were quite a few people posting with the same issue about it on the Apple Support Threads that I found. I have already restored from an iCloud backup and reset all network settings etc.

Edited to be less snarky

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Is there really no way to arrange spotlight search results how you'd like them arranged anymore?!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My headphone's broke and I'm just out of warranty. I'm considering buying new ones. Are the silicone in-ears worth it? I'm all in all very satisfied with the standard ones (iPhone 5S).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you mean you had earbuds, those are basically the worst. The Apple IEMs are ok but overpriced for what you get. Check out Meelectronics, Etymotic or Shure.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dogen posted:

If you mean you had earbuds, those are basically the worst. The Apple IEMs are ok but overpriced for what you get. Check out Meelectronics, Etymotic or Shure.
I don't know what "the worst" means, but the stock ones that came with my 5S basically satisfied all of my needs. (I'm not really listening to music on them because they're in-ears.)

I mostly care about the built-in mike, comfort/fit, and the remote. The one thing I wouldn't mind having was protection from environmental noise so I can listen to audiobooks while in a crowded train station.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah then maybe just get the Apple IEMs.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I have never dropped my phone, and I can't imagine that I have mishandled something in the software that would miraculously cause Siri to be unable to connect to other apps. There were quite a few people posting with the same issue about it on the Apple Support Threads that I found. I have already restored from an iCloud backup and reset all network settings etc.

Edited to be less snarky

Try a reload and setting up as new and see if that solves it. Occasionally issues like this can be brought back with the backup.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
When did American-Female Siri get an upgraded voice? I had switched out to Male because the voice was less grating. But new Siri is nice.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Avocados posted:

When did American-Female Siri get an upgraded voice? I had switched out to Male because the voice was less grating. But new Siri is nice.

Her boobs are bigger too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably around the time they made her 50% less likely to understand your commands.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Her boobs are bigger too.

No that's just Cortana.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

xzzy posted:

Probably around the time they made her 50% less likely to understand your commands.

This never happened.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

carry on then posted:

This never happened.

Seriously, I actually use Siri once in a while for poo poo now because she is highly likely to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
MacRumors has a video overview of the 9.3 beta and starts off showing NightShift in action, in case anyone's curious about what the color temp range looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5CCB7KRO9U&t=15s