Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Alzion posted:

Don't bother trying to do combat missions till you have the credits to buy and upgrade an Eagle a bit.

Or, run with a goon in high sec for an hour or so. Get cash money to buy a Cobra, and then go do whatever you want with the 400k you've banked :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I've just picked up elite dangerous and I'm having a really hard time getting started. Are there any newbie guides that I should check out? I've not completed a single combat mission yet because I'm dumb and can't work anything out.

First do the tutorial so you learn how to fly.

Next, earn your first fistful of credits by attacking pirates that the cops are already murdering at Nav Beacons or (non-Hazardous) Resource Extraction Sites - you will get the full credit for bounties as long as you hit them within 10 seconds of their deaths and the cops will do the hard work. Be careful that you don't engage any ship massively superior to you (which in an E spec Sidewinder is most things) as they will decide to kill you and ignore the police. You'll only need maybe a dozen kills tops before you can afford an Eagle which is a massively stronger ship; repeat until you can afford a Viper Mk III or Cobra Mk III (the former if you just wanna shoot poo poo, the latter if you want to try trading etc). Put Gimballed Pulse Lasers and Multicannons in all your ships as they're the best for sniping bounties from the po-po, but are also generally the reliable but boring choice. Then you should have learnt enough and have enough cash and ability to earn more that you can start just loving around with the game and can try other things such as rares trading, mining, etc.

Never fly without enough cash to cover your insurance. Outfitting your ships doesn't cost anything so go hog wild trying poo poo out, just make sure you sell all your modules when you sell your ship.

Getting at least a few hundred K worth of assets shouldn't really take more than a couple of hours, the game isn't as hard to get into as it seems, it just doesn't do a single thing to make it obvious where the good money sources are, and doing random missions - which looks like the obvious route - will earn you gently caress all.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

So I have to wonder: What is a good fit for the Vulture? I intend to murder myself some bounties in the newly acquired toy.

I am uncertain on whether to take two large beams/energy weapons of some sort, or if it is better to mix one for shields and one for hull? Or go full retard and pack dual railguns?

I have not played in ages, and definitely not since the changes made to Shield Cells (a new heat mechanic I noticed).

Likely there are other changes to balance and efficacy that I should likely be aware of? Any advice is appreciated.

My prior ships were a combat fit Viper IV (a favourite) and an exploration Asp, never really used save long haul trucking.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I really liked dual large Pulse gimbaled on my Vulture. I was totally happy with it.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Dandywalken posted:

I really liked dual large Pulse gimbaled on my Vulture. I was totally happy with it.

This seems to be the consensus. Thank you!

What internals are worth running? Chaff? Shield Cells?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This is the dumb cheap fit I put together for my first Vulture HiRES farmer last night. It seems to shred things pretty well and as you get more cash you can play with beams and cannons, upgrade the shields, etc. It is the first ship I've flown where targetting subsystems (power plant) kills the sub before the ship.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04B5D4D3D5A4D3C1e1e000n06064d5g2p002h.Iw19kA==.EwBj4yEYyA==?bn=FMS%20PoBoy

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DarkDobe posted:

This seems to be the consensus. Thank you!

What internals are worth running? Chaff? Shield Cells?

Double chaff, a rank shield booster, d rank kill warrant scanner are the usual extra mounts. Can't really run SCB's on a Vulture since it already has problems with power and heat so the new sort of meta is to stick hull reinforcement packages and use biweave shields. Even then the Vulture still has really strong shields for it's size (and being able to chain-chaff takes a lot of heat off of you anyway.)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Go figure, I have spent a couple hours mining, I have a hold full of painite platinum and osmium but there's no mining missions anywhere. I went to a couple industrial stations, refreshrd the BB three times per station and still nothing.

gently caress you, RNG.

Maybe high tech stations would give me better chances?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

TorakFade posted:

Maybe high tech stations would give me better chances?

I'm always seeing mining metal missions at Xihe, which is high-tech and a refinery, so one of those I guess.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I've just picked up elite dangerous and I'm having a really hard time getting started. Are there any newbie guides that I should check out? I've not completed a single combat mission yet because I'm dumb and can't work anything out.

Figuring out to do without a guide is honestly the best part of the game.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Amethyst posted:

Figuring out to do without a guide is honestly the best part of the game.

Yeah, this game has the coolest UI and isn't as complicated as it seems at first. Once you get a feel for it you'll be doing all types of Han Solo poo poo in your cockpit while in the middle of a dogfight. Honestly skip the tutorial unless you like grinding because once you figure everything out the main complaint most players have is that it becomes too easy/repetitive.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I tried my hand at piracy. Outfitted my Python with a hatchbreaker, collector, and FSD interdictor. Other than one guy carrying some scientific samples worth 115k/ea, this seems like it doesn't really pay too well. I take it trading/ratting is pretty much where the money is and piracy is just for when I am bored?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Thief posted:

Yeah, this game has the coolest UI and isn't as complicated as it seems at first. Once you get a feel for it you'll be doing all types of Han Solo poo poo in your cockpit while in the middle of a dogfight.

Saying "I know a few maneuvers" and then flying in a straight line and relying on your turrets?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Thief posted:

Yeah, this game has the coolest UI and isn't as complicated as it seems at first. Once you get a feel for it you'll be doing all types of Han Solo poo poo in your cockpit while in the middle of a dogfight. Honestly skip the tutorial unless you like grinding because once you figure everything out the main complaint most players have is that it becomes too easy/repetitive.

Is there a Wookie to fix the engines when you get shot up?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Press all the buttons then accidentally warp to a whole different star.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shine posted:

Dual pulse build has worked well since forever. Two C3 pulses will tear things down much faster than what you'd have on an Eagle or whatever. With beam/cannon, ammo conservation isn't as bad as you might think. In practice you can kill small stuff (smaller than Asp) with just the beam, with maybe a cannon or two on a Cobra if you're impatient, and save the bulk of the cannon shots for your FdL's and such. You get 100 shots, and since they fire pretty slowly they will last a decent while. Also, the *thwump* of a cannon impact is incredibly satisfying; one of my favorite sound effects in the game.

Definitely going to give this a try.

RVProfootballer posted:

Turn off your cargo hatch to save a few percent. I don't fiddle with any power settings, aside from always having the hatch off, and can fit two A shield boosters. Currently using: http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5A4A3C5A4C3C1e1e-040m04B22b272525.AwRj4zyA.CwBhwJjEEYYiBmRNimEA?bn=Current%20Vulture

E: Except I feel like either something is slightly off in Coriolis or I'm forgetting something, because I think I stuck with B thrusters because A were both a bit too much for my wallet at the moment and more importantly pushed the power usage just over 100%. Not sure, but in any case, turn off the hatch and enjoy a super tanky Vulture!

E2: Oh yeah, pretty sure I have a better FSD on right now because I was moving around to find a nice system. Think I have a C or B FSD, so dropping that down will make the A thrusters a-ok.

The fact that the cargo hatch takes power, while.. doing nothing, is somewhat hilarious. Thanks for this tip though, since I don't even have a cargo hold, the cargo hatch is more than a bit useless to power.

Alzion posted:

I just started two weeks ago so I know exactly what your talking about. With a sidewinder, 1,000 credits in your pocket, and not much experience your not going to accomplish much. The way to get yourself started so you can actually start completeing missions is to find a orbital platform type station with a black market. After that look for weak signal sources; They'll either have super weak pirates that you can easily kill for a bounty, or illegal salvage cannisters that you can sell on the black market. Once you 7-10k credits in your pocket you won't have to worry about fuel and repair costs so you can start doing low level trade missions. Don't bother trying to do combat missions till you have the credits to buy and upgrade an Eagle a bit.

I started 10 days ago, and I find this kind of terrible advice if all you are interested in is getting cash fast to get out of the Sidewinder.

I took my completely stock Sidewinder out to a nav point (system I was in I couldn't find any RES sites and didn't really know where to look for them). In less than an hour I had 500k in bounties by simply shooting at dudes the cops were already killing. Trick is to just stay in range with the bad guy targeted, and wait until the cops have him down to about 40%~50% hull and it's clear the cops are going to win, then add in your guns and collect fat bounty. I died a few times early learning the proper technique/timing, but all you lose is any bounties that you haven't turned in, since you get the ship back free (or a few thousand credits if you've completely upgraded it).

Once I had the Sidewinder reasonably upgraded, I moved to Xihe and did the same thing in the RES sites (I stuck to the Low at first, then moved to the normal). Using the money from that, I bought a Hauler and rigged it for exploration and went on a mission to the stars, decided that was boring, came back and bought a Cobra Mk III, which I did more bounty hunting in, then went into the rare-trading business for a couple days which then got me into an A fitted Asp Explorer, which I then did some more rares trading with and then traded it in for a now A fitted Vulture and I'm back to RES sites.

I think I might have run a grand total of 5 or 6 missions during that entire run. Sniping the cop kills in RES sites is great money for newbies and really springs you into upgrading ships very rapidly, and also gets you used to combat. Mission running as a newbie is terrible money for the time invested.

On the other hand, if that's what is fun for you, then go for it!

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The Locator posted:

The fact that the cargo hatch takes power, while.. doing nothing, is somewhat hilarious. Thanks for this tip though, since I don't even have a cargo hold, the cargo hatch is more than a bit useless to power.

The real hilarious part is your cargo hatch taking more power than your friendship drive does.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Are the devs suggesting there's something hovering around the Pleaides?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Stringbean posted:

Or, run with a goon in high sec for an hour or so. Get cash money to buy a Cobra, and then go do whatever you want with the 400k you've banked :smug:

Woaaah!! for a second i thought i had wandered into the Eve online channel....
(living (un)happily in low sec for a decade (Stupid reputation score....))

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Y halo thar! (HIP 20371 A)

In ya hop mate!

BogDew fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 13, 2016

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

Purple smoke buddies.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Woohoo, just got to one million credits in my bank last night. I saved up a bit and then outfitted that freebie Viper MkIV for combat, then went to some RES and just went after anything that was "Wanted" regardless of what it was or what they were ranked. The fun one was dropping into a zone and seeing an Anaconda fly in front of me, so I said "gently caress it, it's only 40k if I die" and attacked him. Right as I got his shields down he rams me, so we're off to a good start but somehow I was able to stay above him most of the time and he couldn't really shoot at me much with his lasers. Luckily the space cops showed up and gave me a hand at about 90% hull left on my ship. That was about 170k for that ship alone. This is way more fun than space trucking.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

High-paying smuggling missions (the type you do in Fehu, Robigo etc*) are really the way to go to get mad cash, it seems. I am saving up for an A+ asp explorer outfitted for that stuff, to be my golden cash cow. Any build ideas are welcome :)

* - Are there any other systems that have those type of high paying missions?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

xiansi posted:

Is there a Wookie to fix the engines when you get shot up?

No, but you can buy droids (AFMs) to do the same thing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Libluini posted:

No, but you can buy droids (AFMs) to do the same thing.

For combat, should I run shield boosters or those things?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Started playing again with 40 million in the bank two nights ago, now have 35 million, I forgot how bad I was at this game

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Transmetropolitan posted:

High-paying smuggling missions (the type you do in Fehu, Robigo etc*) are really the way to go to get mad cash, it seems. I am saving up for an A+ asp explorer outfitted for that stuff, to be my golden cash cow. Any build ideas are welcome :)

Maia is the new one, seems to be a little bit closer than the others.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shine posted:

Dual pulse build has worked well since forever. Two C3 pulses will tear things down much faster than what you'd have on an Eagle or whatever. With beam/cannon, ammo conservation isn't as bad as you might think. In practice you can kill small stuff (smaller than Asp) with just the beam, with maybe a cannon or two on a Cobra if you're impatient, and save the bulk of the cannon shots for your FdL's and such. You get 100 shots, and since they fire pretty slowly they will last a decent while. Also, the *thwump* of a cannon impact is incredibly satisfying; one of my favorite sound effects in the game.

So the beam/cannon works, but for my terrible flight ability, I think I am better off with the dual pulse arrangement for now. Also this lets me leave the Kill Warrant Scanner on button 2 and not have to juggle weapons groups in order to use it. I found that while running beam/cannon I never toggled over to the other group for the scanner (which probably isn't really a huge deal, given that after using it a bunch I'm only up to 250k / 140k or so in places that I have to travel far away to claim).

Logged out in deep space last night to let a bounty on me expire because I shot too early at a guy that I thought I had already scanned and the cops were tearing up (the cops had an Anaconda so sometimes it would pop stuff really fast).

I may try dual beams, and no shield boosters (or a single D class booster) for a while, by disabling the cargo hatch this works at 99% power.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

For combat, should I run shield boosters or those things?

That's an interesting question, is there anyone here interested enough in combat to try this out and report back?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
How are missions in the new expansion? I know they said they were going to add multi-stage missions, are they a bit more interesting than the old missions? I remember chatting about cool mission ideas like hit-and-run/ambush/pirate bases, and I think I remember Braben or someone mentioning similar stuff at some point - any signs of that sort of thing coming down the pipe?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Libluini posted:

That's an interesting question, is there anyone here interested enough in combat to try this out and report back?

The auto repair things? You have to put the module it's repairing offline and into a repair state, so it's not really comparable.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Unkempt posted:

The auto repair things? You have to put the module it's repairing offline and into a repair state, so it's not really comparable.

Ah, so it's meant for post fight so you don't have to go to a port to repair. Not really like a "medkit" situation to use midfight. I can see how that can be useful.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

AFMUs also don't take up utility slots like shield boosters do, they fit in standard internal slots, so if you have the extra internal space (such as on a Python or whatever) there's no reason to not have one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Unkempt posted:

And so Spanish Manlove's question was answered.

Also gently caress, I'm using the drat things all the time and should have remembered, but every mention of "combat" just switches my dumb explorer-brain off. :v:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AFMs only repair module health, not hull. However you can fit both shield boosters and AFMS on the same ship since the former is a utility and the latter is an internal. SCBs are also internals so you might find yourself using those in a combat-oriented ship, or hull reinforcements since those boost both module health and hull. You definitely ought to have an AFM for an explorer however.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Draxion posted:

Maia is the new one, seems to be a little bit closer than the others.

Maia isn't really the "new" one so much as it's just another option. All of the long range stations drop the same crop of missions more or less. The bulk slaves missions that people were scamming for profit have been patched into non-existence as of like 2 days ago. Now it's just low tonnage shadow missions because Frontier doesn't know how to do any actual fixing, just knee-jerk "OHFUCKGETITOUTOFTHEGAME!" reactions to their forum discontent.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

First thing I thought of. The star equivalent? :v:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

LCL-Dead posted:

Maia isn't really the "new" one so much as it's just another option. All of the long range stations drop the same crop of missions more or less. The bulk slaves missions that people were scamming for profit have been patched into non-existence as of like 2 days ago. Now it's just low tonnage shadow missions because Frontier doesn't know how to do any actual fixing, just knee-jerk "OHFUCKGETITOUTOFTHEGAME!" reactions to their forum discontent.

Ah, I thought the station there was new, there was a recent GalNet story on it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Draxion posted:

Ah, I thought the station there was new, there was a recent GalNet story on it.

It's new as in, the station is new, but apart from that it's just another station like dozens others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Transmetropolitan posted:

Your name is the name of a good comic so I'm going to share my Asp build-
http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/04A5A5A4D4A5D5C--18---000404-05f5f3402tf22f.Iw18WQ==.MwBhrSuhGAmc4g==?bn=Ezz%20Smuggler

It is entirely built around slave running. Fuel tanks so you never have to stop between Robigo and your first destination, only 64T of cargo (that is like 10 missions simultaneously- you can trade fuel for cargo if you want more). A single gun so you can interrupt scans by popping hardpoints. Max thrusters, max FSD, then cut weight on everything else.

Edit- also, Sothis is pretty good I hear.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 13, 2016

• Locked thread