Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

*bad snipe

JayKay posted:

The real schadenfreude is that I just went searching through Mashable for the article you didn't link to.

i googled the article and it's short and superficial and basically the headline is the article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

im pooping! posted:

*bad snipe

i googled the article and it's short and superficial and basically the headline is the article

Derp you weren't kidding.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

JayKay posted:

The real schadenfreude is that I just went searching through Mashable for the article you didn't link to.

Oops, Here it is.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

hanales posted:

This is why the European system is better. Free collages for everyone.

Yeah!
Which reminds me I need to go down get some more coloured paper and some glue.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Pit bulls have an undeserved reputation for being mean, aggressive dogs that you can use as a tough guard dog that rips up burglars. So assholes who want an aggressive guard dog buy them and abuse them (usually because they're assholes who don't know how to take care of an animal) until they become mean, aggressive dogs that rip up anyone they see. It's a vicious cycle that ends up getting a completely normal breed vilified and abused. Same with dogs like Rottweilers and Dobermans.

Breeds have temperaments. The entire point of domestication is that it's developing a temperament. Different breeds of horses have different temperaments, as do cattle, as do dogs.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

chitoryu12 posted:

Pit bulls have an undeserved reputation for being mean, aggressive dogs that you can use as a tough guard dog that rips up burglars. So assholes who want an aggressive guard dog buy them and abuse them (usually because they're assholes who don't know how to take care of an animal) until they become mean, aggressive dogs that rip up anyone they see. It's a vicious cycle that ends up getting a completely normal breed vilified and abused. Same with dogs like Rottweilers and Dobermans.

I mean, I hear you about how pit bulls that're treated well are just as totally docile as any other dog and that means a lot of people want to clear their name and get pit bulls thinking, "Why, I'm not one of THOSE people," but they are also a breed that if something DOES go wrong, they can cause some serious damage. It's kinda like saying, "Hey, rocket launchers are a totally normal firearm, whatever, they're only incredibly dangerous if you're a MORON and misuse them." Nobody's ever been mauled by a dachshund, and not simply because they don't have a reputation for mauling.

What I'm trying to say is I get Schadenfreude from people that get pit bulls.

EDIT: I decided to actually google my claim, and unfortunately: http://articles.latimes.com/2002/dec/17/nation/na-maul17
However, I think my point still stands.

jmistajay has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Jan 12, 2016

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

My worst ever dog injury was from a poorly trained Golden Retriever that noticed me 'leaving the pack' (walking away from a conversation to go to the bathroom) and bit the gently caress out of my achilles tendon. No skin break but goddamn if that isn't the worst place to have a bruise, was limping for a few days.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Pick posted:

Breeds have temperaments. The entire point of domestication is that it's developing a temperament. Different breeds of horses have different temperaments, as do cattle, as do dogs.

This is probably the most true of the recent statements on pits.

They're bred for their tenacity and prey drive, to put it very simply. Sometimes things like tenacity and prey drive don't make them good pets for suburban families (or pets in general). Some are easier to live with than others. Overall, they're dogs on hard mode.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

jmistajay posted:

I mean, I hear you about how pit bulls that're treated well are just as totally docile as any other dog and that means a lot of people want to clear their name and get pit bulls thinking, "Why, I'm not one of THOSE people," but they are also a breed that if something DOES go wrong, they can cause some serious damage. It's kinda like saying, "Hey, rocket launchers are a totally normal firearm, whatever, they're only incredibly dangerous if you're a MORON and misuse them." Nobody's ever been mauled by a dachshund, and not simply because they don't have a reputation for mauling.

Abusing them isn't really what makes them aggressive anyway. And they can be just as bad if you treat them really well, since they are protective of their pack - which includes YOU. I have a buddy who has two pitbulls, and they are sweethearts, but even he doesn't defend the breed because like you said - when something DOES go wrong - it's bad. My buddy describes it as "like having a mentally challenged child and guns in the same house." You lapse too much on vigilance and poo poo gets bad, pronto. He is quick to respond to any displays of aggression from his pits for that exact reason.

The people in that video clearly aren't overstocked on vigilance, and seemingly even common sense. I'm sure it was only a matter of time before something happened.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
I think we shouldn't have a tipping system in restaurants and all baby boys should be circumcised and that if you have a penis, you are a boy.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

HaB posted:

Abusing them isn't really what makes them aggressive anyway. And they can be just as bad if you treat them really well, since they are protective of their pack - which includes YOU. I have a buddy who has two pitbulls, and they are sweethearts, but even he doesn't defend the breed because like you said - when something DOES go wrong - it's bad. My buddy describes it as "like having a mentally challenged child and guns in the same house." You lapse too much on vigilance and poo poo gets bad, pronto. He is quick to respond to any displays of aggression from his pits for that exact reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sUEaATniCo

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CowboyKid posted:

I think we shouldn't have a tipping system in restaurants and all baby boys should be circumcised and that if you have a penis, you are a boy.

PYF Derail is thataway son

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Now for some BREAKING NEWS dog schadenfreude:

There's a dog running loose on a major São Paulo airport runway, preventing several airplanes from landing and lifting off. Several Airport staff are chasing the dog for over 10 minutes and haven't managed to catch it yet. Its being broadcasted live from a news station. I'll post the video as soon as it goes up on youtube.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Republican voters in KY are mostly going :argh: because the governor they elected, who promised to GIT RIDDA THAT DANGED OBAMACARE in the fine state of KY, is following through on his campaign promise and shutting down their actually pretty effective state run healthcare.

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT DUDE WHO SAID HE'D TAKE AWAY OBAMACARE FOR THE CITIZENS WOULD ACTUALLY GO THROUGH (and burn about 23 million dollars doing it) WITH HIS MAIN CAMPAIGN PROMISE?

Yea, this is what happens when you don't think before you vote.

Oh, Ketucky, why do you do this to me? He also went to visit Kim Davis while she was in jail and pledge his support, so that would be enough to not get my vote.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nerdz posted:

There's a dog running loose on a major São Paulo airport runway, preventing several airplanes from landing and lifting off. Several Airport staff are chasing the dog for over 10 minutes and haven't managed to catch it yet. Its being broadcasted live from a news station. I'll post the video as soon as it goes up on youtube.

lol that dog is having the time of his life.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

lol that dog is having the time of his life.

Likely so. It's Brazil, I imagine they're gonna kill that dog.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Likely so. It's Brazil, I imagine they're gonna kill that dog.

It's churrasco time!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HaB posted:

The people in that video clearly aren't overstocked on vigilance, and seemingly even common sense. I'm sure it was only a matter of time before something happened.

pit bulls are dumb af and it should be illegal to breed them, but legal to adopt them or whatever. just make the breed go extinct over time. there are a billion other breeds that don't maul children with regularity and people can just get those

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The dog managed to get away into the nearby woods before he was caught. He may strike again

Also they would be in a world of poo poo if they killed the dog instead of following the proper channels. Besides the media shitstorm, animal protection laws in Brazil are rather severe.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nerdz posted:

The dog managed to get away into the nearby woods before he was caught. He may strike again

Also they would be in a world of poo poo if they killed the dog instead of following the proper channels. Besides the media shitstorm, animal protection laws in Brazil are rather severe.

Well I stand corrected. I seemed to recall seeing that they had a big problem with strays in the favelas and they were dealt with rather harshly.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

jmistajay posted:

EDIT: I decided to actually google my claim, and unfortunately: http://articles.latimes.com/2002/dec/17/nation/na-maul17
However, I think my point still stands.

TBF, dachshunds are also huge pieces of poo poo and mean af.

What with being bred to go into badger holes and kill stuff.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Brazil getting their Sochi on in time for the Olympics.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Well I stand corrected. I seemed to recall seeing that they had a big problem with strays in the favelas and they were dealt with rather harshly.

they probably are, but not in front of tourists has to be some sort of slogan over there

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I mean, I'm talking about laws and things that were exposed to the media, like this dog. When talking about favelas, people are probably getting an even worse treatment. I don't expect rio police to be limited by such things as laws and fair trials. We don't have death penalty, but there were thousands of summary executions by cops in the last few years.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

they probably are, but not in front of tourists has to be some sort of slogan over there

Exactly.

EDIT: here's the video!

Skip to 3:00. It's hilarious how even the news anchor gets aggravated as the firemen fail to get the dog.

http://noticias.r7.com/cidade-alerta/videos/cachorro-invade-pista-e-aeroporto-de-congonhas-sp-interrompe-pousos-e-decolagens-12012016

nerdz has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Jan 12, 2016

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

veedubfreak posted:

TBF, dachshunds are also huge pieces of poo poo and mean af.

What with being bred to go into badger holes and kill stuff.

It's easier to punt a dachshund away from a child than to punt a pitbull.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The news anchor started screaming OLÉ at this point

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Go, Dog, Go!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nerdz posted:

Skip to 3:00. It's hilarious how even the news anchor gets aggravated as the firemen fail to get the dog.

http://noticias.r7.com/cidade-alerta/videos/cachorro-invade-pista-e-aeroporto-de-congonhas-sp-interrompe-pousos-e-decolagens-12012016

The only thing that'd make this more of a proclick is if the reporter said GOOOOL at some point or another- he certainly comes close at some points :v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

CowboyKid posted:

How should I cook steak?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

pretty sure if all pitbulls magically vanished some other breed would become popular among the dumb rear end in a top hat crowd and we'd all be bitching about rottweilers or mastiffs or whatever

also I encourage everyone to look up dogs and other animals invading soccer games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSPyUtTpm6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XCvPptsfhI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBIwsy57R30

here's a pine marten biting a player to fill the suffering quota

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHdoZG5ojvs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

monkeytennis posted:

How should I cook steak?

Pittsburgh black

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FlyinPingu posted:

pretty sure if all pitbulls magically vanished some other breed would become popular among the dumb rear end in a top hat crowd and we'd all be bitching about rottweilers or mastiffs or whatever

Studies have been made attempting to prove that pit bulls are unusually aggressive, but all of them are criticized either for bad data or misinterpreting it. They are large and physically powerful, which makes them more dangerous than a chihuahua if they attack someone, but controlled studies that accounted for dogs' training and home environment found that pit bulls and other "aggressive breeds" aren't really any more dangerous than others. The American Veterinary Medical Association even discredited its own study from prior decades that had previously claimed that breeds like pit bulls and Rottweilers are unusually aggressive.

One of the biggest causes is that "aggressive" breeds like pit bulls, Rottweilers, wolf mixes, and Dobermans are more likely than others to be owned by people with prior criminal convictions and anti-social behaviors, as much as 10 times the ownership rate of "low risk" dogs. The best answer is that it's circular logic: anti-social assholes buy dogs that have a reputation for being aggressive, mistreat their dogs until they become aggressive, and now that breed has a furthered reputation for being aggressive. Which is incredibly sad and not at all schadenfreude, because it means that dogs that aren't a threat at all get feared, locked away, and potentially killed for no good reason.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Jan 13, 2016

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CowboyKid posted:

after the mandatory circumcision we need to have a celebratory meal of well done steak dipped in Ketchup.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Texas gun owners find that the new open carry laws restrict them from more and more businesses:

http://www.thetrace.org/2016/01/open-carry-texas-chl-forum/

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

FlyinPingu posted:

also I encourage everyone to look up dogs and other animals invading soccer games

These are pretty freaking adorable. Love the second video where players just start petting the dogs instead of getting all huffy about them. :3:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Texas gun owners find that the new open carry laws restrict them from more and more businesses:

Speaking as a TFR goon, open carry is a pretty stupid idea unless you're out hunting or hiking or something. It's not really any faster to draw than from concealed carry if you choose a good setup and practice often, so the only possible benefit you get is letting people know that you're armed. And that's a huge double-eged sword because of two things:

1. People who don't like guns will be on guard and probably afraid of you, especially if you walk into Chipotle with an SKS in your hands for no goddamn reason.

2. If you actually did find yourself in the middle of an armed robbery or mass shooting or whatever, someone who's going to shoot anyway is probably going to see that you're carrying a gun and shoot you first.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nerdz posted:

Wait, the exact same thing happened 5 years ago.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

People who open carry their guns are tools. It's basically the equivalent of wearing a tapout t-shirt with the sleeves cut off, except the people that open carry are 40 year old men who should know better by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
A dog gets on a softball field, takes gloves and has a great time. Bonus: the score at the end is perfect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZCtWCzgWwg