Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rrussom posted:

Instead of bitching, have you thought that these blanket nerfs on things that seemingly only hinder the experience are possibly necessary to pave the way for something amazing and revolutionary?

what, like a leg tech that lets you jump as high as you used to be able to jump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

BillmasterCozb posted:

what, like a leg tech that lets you jump as high as you used to be able to jump?

I dont know, i doubt I or anyone of us can grasp the genius that is Tiy

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Well the new thing they're doing is you upgrade your backpacks and gear with poo poo like jump height increasers and movement speed upgrades and swimspeed upgrades. This is also apparently how stuff like Cold Biome/Hot Biome immunity and Oxygen packs are going to be handled. These don't interfere with techs (in fact there are new ones like a teleport dash and you can airdash again now), they're an extra thing now.

Anyway it seems that jump height has been decreased to make way for one of the upgrades increasing your jump height (to be kind of fair, the new jump height with the upgrade is higher than your previous regular jump height) but this nightly is especially hosed compared to previous ones so it could just be an error somewhere.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Well the new thing they're doing is you upgrade your backpacks and gear with poo poo like jump height increasers and movement speed upgrades and swimspeed upgrades. This is also apparently how stuff like Cold Biome/Hot Biome immunity and Oxygen packs are going to be handled. These don't interfere with techs (in fact there are new ones like a teleport dash and you can airdash again now), they're an extra thing now.

Anyway it seems that jump height has been decreased to make way for one of the upgrades increasing your jump height (to be kind of fair, the new jump height with the upgrade is higher than your previous regular jump height) but this nightly is especially hosed compared to previous ones so it could just be an error somewhere.

The foolish optimism still remaining hopes cool things are done with that system sooner, rather than later.

The part capable of pattern recognition wants to watch Tiy livestream trying to survive platforming dungeons with the new default jump height... And then do it again with the new upgraded jump height (Hello, precision jumping through holes with spikes on the top and bottom!)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I haven't actually played the nightly yet so I can't truly confirm, I just saw someone mention it in a video. I'll check when I get home tonight.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Babe Magnet posted:

hmmm. mmmhmmm. mmmm. mhmmmm

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
game = ?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

nerdz posted:

game = ?

:mediocre:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oddium posted:

hmmm. mmmhmmm. mmmm. mhmmmm

I tells it like I sees it

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
We removed the ability for your character to breathe oxygen in preparation of a lung upgrade that will be available in June.
E: June 2019

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Please keep to actual discussion of the games content, 'Criticizing' the game is only encouraged if the criticism is constructive

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm going to "construct" a brick wall around you, bitch

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rrussom posted:

Please keep to actual discussion of the games content, 'Criticizing' the game is only encouraged if the criticism is constructive

But how could "Watch Tiy livestream his game without Dev cheats" be viewed in any possible negative light :angel:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I tried to play again. The Novakid starting weapons are useless pieces of poo poo. I miss when it was just about roaming the galaxy, finding things. Urgh.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Ah, a trump supporter i see.

Section Z posted:

But how could "Watch Tiy livestream his game without Dev cheats" be viewed in any possible negative light :angel:

I do not know, but i do know the likes of this thread dont DESERVE to witness that

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
How about they just do a "all things unlocked, do as you will," mode, seperate it as "exploration mode" and "story mode" instead of the tier stuff they are forcing on people?

They had a thing going on with the early version they were going with, by just gathering enough things to summon a boss, right? Why not just build on that? The early version had it kinda worked out until we were reaching the palladium and above tier, WHY NOT BUILD ON THAT. I understand that it's their game, but come on, jesus

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

How about they just do a "all things unlocked, do as you will," mode, seperate it as "exploration mode" and "story mode" instead of the tier stuff they are forcing on people?

They had a thing going on with the early version they were going with, by just gathering enough things to summon a boss, right? Why not just build on that? The early version had it kinda worked out until we were reaching the palladium and above tier, WHY NOT BUILD ON THAT. I understand that it's their game, but come on, jesus

because your idea of fun is wrong. Chucklefish knows what they're doing

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

Because then there will be nothing stopping you from realizing how boring the game is immediately.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HopperUK posted:

I tried to play again. The Novakid starting weapons are useless pieces of poo poo. I miss when it was just about roaming the galaxy, finding things. Urgh.
Except there was never anything worth finding, at any point. Finding a treasure chest in this game is so boring and unexciting. Even Minecraft manages to make them feel more worthwhile.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

uhhhhh the hunger mechanic is back in the latest nightly

if I wasn't on this mountain (lmao 20 kb/s download speed) I could download the nightly and confirm myself but holy poo poo

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 13, 2016

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Starbeaped again.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Babe Magnet posted:

uhhhhh the hunger mechanic is back in the latest nightly

if I wasn't on this mountain (lmao 20 kb/s download speed) I could download the nightly and confirm myself but holy poo poo

I actually hoped they would reintroduce the survival features... but as optional modes on character creation. Maybe they're just testing them (I hope).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's the nightly, so who even knows. it's basically guaranteed to be janky as gently caress.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
Look, i know it took a full year just to end up reimplementing the old mechanics, but now they know what they definitely want to do gameplay wise, shouldnt be too long before the game is finished

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rrussom posted:

Jokes are not off topic. :colbert:

You make me Starfrown.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it's probably just one of the settings you can apply to your character at chargen, but still, it was quite a surprise seeing it as they made a big deal of getting rid of it a while back.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Babe Magnet posted:

no i'm going to "haskell" a brick round around you first

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

website's down again

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Someone needs to write a book about this development process. Is there some deeply dysfunctional team dynamic that leads to all these large systems being removed and reinserted?

Then kickstart the book, publish it on amazon, and release nightly edition updates that arbitrarily add and remove chapters.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
When is the game entering alpha?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I just bought the game during the winter sale, and so far I'd say it's pretty fun. I played Terraria a few years ago, i never finished it or even did that thing that switches the game halfway through? Anyway, I know this game has been in beta for years, but I don't really understand why you guys seem to hate it so much?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I just bought the game during the winter sale, and so far I'd say it's pretty fun. I played Terraria a few years ago, i never finished it or even did that thing that switches the game halfway through? Anyway, I know this game has been in beta for years, but I don't really understand why you guys seem to hate it so much?

Game bad.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The reason for the goon hate is like everyone else, many goons got taken in by Starbound's slick kickstarter, and many built up huge unreasonable expectations about the game. To be fair, these expectations were largely based on empty kickstarter promises, so it's not like there wasn't any source for the expectations at all.

Starbound made many errors, but two main big ones since then.

1) They released a playable beta waaaaaaaaaaay too soon. This gave many people a bad taste in their mouths, because the game wasn't just feature-incomplete, it was almost featureless, and it compared extremely badly to Terraria, the game it most resembled, which by that point was quite feature-rich and has gotten even more solid content updates since.

2) They didn't really know the direction they wanted to go, so they kept changing really fundamental stuff about combat, enemies, etc. Some people liked the changes, some people didn't, but as time wore on and changes mounted up, the odds of any given person having some feature they liked be stripped out or changed increased, and that made folks mad.

There are a bunch of problems with the game besides this, sure, but if you want to know why people are specifically mad about this one instead of the infinite other mediocre forgettable games out there, it's largely due to feeling let down and disappointed, and those who kickstarted it feel betrayed and ripped off.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No one actually hates Starbound, lmao if you actually feel disdain and anger about a videogame

People are largely making fun of it. Because it's a mess, and every time they change a key feature for the third time because they don't have a design document after 4 years or Chucklefish makes another terrible decision or they fall prey to their own ineptitude (they lost an entire year+ of discussion on their forums when they got hacked because they didn't have backups sooner than may of last year lol) is becomes even more of a mess and we laugh at it more.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I just bought the game during the winter sale

You poor, poor soul.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

At this point, you buy the game so you can play it and then thoroughly enjoy this thread.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Starbound isn't a bad video game when it comes down to it, it's just not that great of a game either. It's way more entertaining laughing as the developers stumble around than it is playing the game these days. There is nothing left to do once you get to about tier 6 (so like 4 hours of playing) other than building houses and there are games that are actually fun to play where you can do that too (Terraria, Signs of Life)

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Now that's not entirely true, they DO have a design document. It's just so small that no one can read it! No wonder they're having trouble.

and yeah, watching them bumblefuck their way through even the most basic tenants of game design is very, very funny.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

At this point, you buy the game so you can play it and then thoroughly enjoy this thread.

Thread.... good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thread okay

• Locked thread