Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munin
Nov 14, 2004

In many ways GW is a capitalists dream. It's the type of company Warren Buffett loves to invest in. Strong balance sheet, solid returns and a unique position in their market. Of course being a capitalists dream also means that they gouge their workers and customers for all they are worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
For those not following the main MTG thread, WOTC just doubled down on some of the stupider elements of their announcement.

Specifically, you know how some people were like "Oh, they're just trying to stem the flawless Chinese counterfeits, they don't really consider a proxy card made with a sharpie to be a counterfeit."

Their official community manager came out on Reddit and said "Well, actually, we do consider a sharpied proxy to be a counterfeit for the purposes of this rule."

It's like GW saying that you're stealing money from them if you try to play 40k with plastic chits instead of real models. Which, yeah, is something GW would say, so consider what it says that WOTC is saying it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JerryLee posted:

Their official community manager came out on Reddit and said "Well, actually, we do consider a sharpied proxy to be a counterfeit for the purposes of this rule."

It's like GW saying that you're stealing money from them if you try to play 40k with plastic chits instead of real models. Which, yeah, is something GW would say, so consider what it says that WOTC is saying it.

Company who sells cards wants to sell cards. Unless I'm missing something?

EDIT: Like, what does this really impact? Official tournaments? Cause, yeah. Otherwise it just seems like a mountain out of a molehill.

It's not like make a card shuffling device that can potentially shuffle any deck only to put a microchip in each card so that only officially sold cards can be shuffled. Keurig.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 13, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

For those not following the main MTG thread, WOTC just doubled down on some of the stupider elements of their announcement.

Specifically, you know how some people were like "Oh, they're just trying to stem the flawless Chinese counterfeits, they don't really consider a proxy card made with a sharpie to be a counterfeit."

Man at least post the quote the guy's digging his company in the hole with:

"Trick" Jarrett posted:

Hey folks, I checked into this and here’s what I can tell you:
First is an important clarification: Proxy cards are substitute cards created solely by judges in sanctioned tournaments. These substitutes are allowed when authorized game cards become unplayable during a sanctioned tournament because of damage or excessive wear. Unauthorized reproductions of our game are a type of counterfeit, and we want business partners to help us in discouraging counterfeit Magic.
I know that feels crazy, that we regard marker on a card as a counterfeit, but remove the visual accuracy from the judgment – they serve identical purposes when it comes to game play.
Counterfeit cards are prohibited in sanctioned events, sounds like most people are on board with that. And based on Wizards’ Code of Conduct, we have started to ask stores not to organize unsanctioned events with counterfeit cards. And to be clear, no one we’ve communicated with recently has been suspended or punished as far as I know. We’ve talked to some stores on the difference between counterfeit and proxy cards, and are asking WPN to stores to work with us in protecting our intellectual property.
Wizards wants partners in the WPN to make sure stores are welcoming environments, not use our characters in offensive images, and any number of actions that protect Magic experiences. We don’t condone counterfeit cards, and we expect stores to respect that. WPN stores are our partners and we expect them to help us protect our intellectual property.
We know players love Magic and love playing its variety of formats, including Vintage and Legacy. Some formats are easier to get into than others and these two are hard.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

LordAba posted:

It's not like make a card shuffling device that can potentially shuffle any deck only to put a microchip in each card so that only officially sold cards can be shuffled. Keurig.

Well, in theory you could still proxy at your kitchen table to your heart's content, the same way you can hack or fool your Keurig machine into letting you use offbrand K-cups. The problem is that Magic has a social/manufacturer-sanctioned event dimension that Keurig doesn't, so (a) people are encouraged to narc you out and (b) there are actual consequences as far as being cut off.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

LordAba posted:

I think the bit you're missing is where they're using their market power to coerce stores into preventing you from playing with proxy cards even in non-sanctioned events

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

LordAba posted:

They'd probably consider that if they didn't have a huge existing stock of legacy wares out there and the fact that it would push up their manufacturing costs by a very significant amount. Not to mention the capital investment of retooling.

If they could easily do it then I'm sure the execs would be all for it though.

Also, random query about current MtG economics but is a lot of money currently made by the secondary market or do secondary market prices roughly reflect the cost of the average number of boosters you'd have to open to get a card? I understand that a lot of the demand for their wares is driven by people expecting to be able to then potentially resell their cars if needed but if they have already cracked down on something which should have minimal impact on their bottom line and helped new customer acquisition did they make any moves to find some way of shifting more of the money sloshing around the secondary market into their own coffers?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

TheKingofSprings posted:

Man at least post the quote the guy's digging his company in the hole with:

"How do we get legitimate power 9 and other components of Legacy/Vintage at an affordable price such that our players can participate in events, then?"

"I dunno. Tough luck. Perhaps you would like to read this fine novel by Ayn Rand about the importance of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Pyrolocutus posted:

"How do we get legitimate power 9 and other components of Legacy/Vintage at an affordable price such that our players can participate in events, then?"

"I dunno. Tough luck. Perhaps you would like to read this fine novel by Ayn Rand about the importance of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps."

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Trick Jarrett? This is Trick Jarrett speaking.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ahh, GW. For like 7+ years they've been saying in their financial reports "we've got everything worked out to ensure growth" but there has been very little, if any. This must be a helluva plan if it's taking so long to work!

And "The greatest risk is the same one that we repeat each year, namely, management. So long as we have great people we will be fine." What!? Hiring competent people is a good idea!? Call the New York Times! Call Forbes! Call the Wall Street Journal!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

LordAba posted:

EDIT: Like, what does this really impact? Official tournaments? Cause, yeah. Otherwise it just seems like a mountain out of a molehill.

Well, they haven't sold the cards anyone is proxying in a couple decades.

It's not just official events, it's all events at store that recieves direct support for magic. So, you can't run an unofficial event with proxies without risking losing friday night magic or prereleases or gamedays. It's hilariously heavy handed for no real benefit.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Alright, I just finished episode 1 of Round Vernian Vifam

Plot synopsis:
It's the future, and mankind has travveled to a neighboring star system where there's a Earth-like planet, Creado. There's a small city of military and scientist people and their families, who are investigating the planet to make sure it's cool to begin mass immigration. A rugged, handsome, unshaven scientist and his beautiful blonde wife discover some alien monoliths and are like, we gotta investigate these things, we can't start bringing people here until we know what the deal is. The military guy says, pshaw, we know about aliens, they observe human space stuff sometimes, but they've never made contact or attacked so it doesn't matter. Naturally, the aliens immediately attack. The city is evacuated, dudes get blown up, and the scientist and his wife escape on the last shuttle taking one of the monoliths with them. We're also introduced to three little kids; Roddy, his younger brother Fred, and a little girl named Penchi, who Fred has a crush on. They escape on the same shuttle as the scientist.

My thoughts
I liked it. The little kids are portrayed pretty well. When the evacuation starts Fred is more happy about finding out the name of the girl he has a crush on than he is concerned about the evacuation. Fred and Roddy stopping to amire how cool the alien robots are is a neat touch too. You don't see much of Penchi, but the little detail of her refusing to leave Fred when he's too scared to run lets you know she's mature for her age. I wanna see the kids get developed more. There's a good sense of urgency and danger during the evacuation scenes. You see people get blowed up, but it doesn't go too far.

All in all, I'm definitely excited to see the next episode. Here's the link to episode 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuUOV3Y10G0

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Munin posted:

Also, random query about current MtG economics but is a lot of money currently made by the secondary market or do secondary market prices roughly reflect the cost of the average number of boosters you'd have to open to get a card? I understand that a lot of the demand for their wares is driven by people expecting to be able to then potentially resell their cars if needed but if they have already cracked down on something which should have minimal impact on their bottom line and helped new customer acquisition did they make any moves to find some way of shifting more of the money sloshing around the secondary market into their own coffers?

A currently in-print booster pack of Magic cards has a negative Expected Value. That is, if you bought ten thousand boosters, opened them all, and sold 100% of the cards at their current market prices, you'd lose money. Lots of it.

So no, there is no market in opening in-print boosters and selling them at current prices. There are some expensive in-print cards, for sure: they're the ones that are both in high demand for specific constructed decks (usually a card that is used in multiple highly-competetive constructed decks), and are also very rare. Wizards of the Coast creates this artificial scarcity, mind you: they know perfectly well that some of their very-rare in-print cards are in high demand, and could easily print more of those cards if they wanted to.

What the current hubub really revolves around, though, are the out-of-print cards. There are vastly more cards out-of-print than in-print. Many of those out-of-print cards fall into the intersection of two categories: the "Wizards has categorically stated they will never print this card again" category, and the "card highly useful or necessary for many constructed decks in various legacy formats."

There are enough of these high-value cards that are OOP that if you want to play in any legacy constructed deck format, you have to shell out hundreds of dollars on the secondary market. So there's this super-high barrier to entry for a bunch of formats that are actually a lot of fun. In general there's a high barrier to entry for all constructed formats, because of that thing I said first: the negative EV of in-print boosters means that if you want to play even a modern (in-print) constructed deck format, you spend less money just buying the individual cards you need to build a specific deck, then you would spend buying tons of boosters hoping to find all the cards you'd need to build any constructed deck, even if you then turned around and sold off all the extra cards you didn't need. That "less money" still equates to hundreds of dollars just for one decent tournament-competitive deck, mind you. poo poo's ridiculous.

So: all constructed deck format Magic requires a multi-hundred-dollar entry fee. Most of that money goes not to Wizards of the Coast, but rather, to singleton dealers; your local store or online. That's what makes this situation extra-retarded.

Wizards has a vested interest in preventing Chinese counterfeiters from producing high-quality (read: not easy to spot) counterfeit cards, because they are selling their packs of cardboard at a highly-profitable retail price, and they do not want to see that undermined. What is not actually costing WotC any loving money at all is the use of a proxy for an out of print card in a constructed deck, officially or not! If you can't possibly buy a card from Wizards any more, even buy buying hundreds of packs of boosters to try and find it, then why should Wizards care that you grabbed a basic land, scrawled the name of the card you want to proxy on the face with a Sharpie, and stuck it in your deck? For that matter, why should your opponent care? The only difference is that by insisting you have a genuine copy of that card, you restrict the total number of decks that Magic players can possibly construct that use that card, to however many copies of that card exist in the secondary market. With rising demand for cards (because more people are playing Magic), prices must rise inevitably, so you're just making sure that only people who can afford to spend a hundred bucks or more for a single playing card are allowed to officially play constructed deck Magic in any non-Modern format.

It's horseshit. It's actually worse than GW insisting you have to use GW models when gaming in their stores. This is more like if GW insisted that independent retailers enforce the genuine-no-proxy model rule, even for Games Workshop models that are out of print, including models that haven't been made in 20 years or more, irrespective of how few of those models were ever made, how much they cost on eBay, and the fact that GW does not make any model that could be legally proxied for it. Plus you're not allowed to convert your models either, only 100% genuine intact unconverted original 1995 official models allowed in your independent store when nerds are playing Gorkamorka, and if you break the rule, we'll yank your support and cut you off and you and all your customers are hosed.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 13, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Doesn't this just make the Chinese counterfeits way more attractive? If you can't write "good card" or whatever on a lovely card and use that, then your only option is pay a lot for a real card, or pay very little for a knock off.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Doesn't this just make the Chinese counterfeits way more attractive? If you can't write "good card" or whatever on a lovely card and use that, then your only option is pay a lot for a real card, or pay very little for a knock off.

Abso loving lutely it does, yes. Hell yes. If I can't legally proxy an obviously-proxy card, I'm more likely to try to get away with a high-quality forgery.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

quote:

We know players love Magic and love playing its variety of formats, including Vintage and Legacy. Some formats are easier to get into than others and these two are hard.

Good grief. Basically, "We know a non-proxied Vintage deck costs upwards of $10,000 dollars but we don't give a poo poo, gently caress y'all poors".

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just play Millennium Blades when it comes out. Problem solved.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

LordAba posted:

Just play Millennium Blades when it comes out. Problem solved.

That Force of Will game looks cool.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You guys should also post the Trick Jarrett thing of him being all emo about spoiler leaks. I don't know if it's just me that found that hilarious though.

Ojetor posted:

Good grief. Basically, "We know a non-proxied Vintage deck costs upwards of $10,000 dollars but we don't give a poo poo, gently caress y'all poors".
Are you kidding? A tier 1 standard buy in - you know, the approachable ground level format - is approaching like "40k army" expensive now.

You could buy full tournament lists for two warmahordes factions for the price of dark jeskai last I checked (I don't follow mtg finances that closely anymore, though)- you could probably buy every X-wang mini before hitting the same price as two tier 1 standard decks, let alone modern. They've been reprinting modern cards for years and I doubt the format average buyin has dropped by 33%, let alone actually not gone up.

Serious, how the gently caress is any OOP driven format supposed to be reasonable to buy in on when the secondary market is so loving bananas with actual in print, high supply cards? Nothing is going to come down in price when the pigs are this face deep in poo poo at the trough.

Also Leperflesh you know stores crack 40-75% of the initial supply of boosters to sell as singles, right? So basically there is positive EV on cracking ten thousand boosters, if you can reduce friction in the system by being a retailer.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

Isn't Force of Will a CCG?

Millennium Blades is a boardgame where you play a character playing a CCG. Compete in a tournament, and then buy/trade/sell and collect card sets for victory points (usually 20 minutes realtime between tournaments). It looks batshit insane. Plus it is by level99 games.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

LordAba posted:

Millennium Blades is a boardgame where you play a character playing a CCG. Compete in a tournament, and then buy/trade/sell and collect card sets for victory points (usually 20 minutes realtime between tournaments). It looks batshit insane. Plus it is by level99 games.

I think so, I just assumed Millenium Blades was too.

If we're suggesting people get the CCG experience without actually playing one, I'm gonna say that people should read Wizard's Soul. It's a manga about a teen girl who has to play not-Magic to win back the money her dad lost speculating on not-Magic cards

http://mangapark.me/manga/wizard-s-soul-koi-no-seisen/s2/v1/c1

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

You guys should also post the Trick Jarrett thing of him being all emo about spoiler leaks. I don't know if it's just me that found that hilarious though.
Are you kidding? A tier 1 standard buy in - you know, the approachable ground level format - is approaching like "40k army" expensive now.

You could buy full tournament lists for two warmahordes factions for the price of dark jeskai last I checked (I don't follow mtg finances that closely anymore, though)- you could probably buy every X-wang mini before hitting the same price as two tier 1 standard decks, let alone modern. They've been reprinting modern cards for years and I doubt the format average buyin has dropped by 33%, let alone actually not gone up.

Serious, how the gently caress is any OOP driven format supposed to be reasonable to buy in on when the secondary market is so loving bananas with actual in print, high supply cards? Nothing is going to come down in price when the pigs are this face deep in poo poo at the trough.

Also Leperflesh you know stores crack 40-75% of the initial supply of boosters to sell as singles, right? So basically there is positive EV on cracking ten thousand boosters, if you can reduce friction in the system by being a retailer.

All right. I gotta weigh in here as an MTGO light motherfucker. poo poo is not 40k levels of buy in. You can still buy an event deck and mob the floor with fools who bought too many planeswalkers. They even come with a sideboard for the cost of one space marine unit. You cna play and have fun and learn some poo poo. Possibly not win the whole thing but there is still enough variance in MTGO that no one is guaranteed to win.

If you don't follow the finances don't bother talking about them. Like me.

I agree about the OOP thing because if it just like modern comics. A lot are printed and not a lot of them are being destroyed like during a total war.

final note? #notallstores and he is still right as even if you can sell every card in a pack as a store the time it has taken to find someone who wants to buy 4 or more of that one card is still time you have been losing money.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

It's horseshit. It's actually worse than GW insisting you have to use GW models when gaming in their stores. This is more like if GW insisted that independent retailers enforce the genuine-no-proxy model rule, even for Games Workshop models that are out of print, including models that haven't been made in 20 years or more, irrespective of how few of those models were ever made, how much they cost on eBay, and the fact that GW does not make any model that could be legally proxied for it. Plus you're not allowed to convert your models either, only 100% genuine intact unconverted original 1995 official models allowed in your independent store when nerds are playing Gorkamorka, and if you break the rule, we'll yank your support and cut you off and you and all your customers are hosed.

As you say, the big difference is that Games Workshop also keeps making models. Like, they didn't just make a metal Terminator Librarian back in 1995 or whatever, make it for a year or two and then stop making it forever such that you have to hunt down one of those models if you want to use a Terminator Librarian in your space marines in TYOOL 2015. You can still use a metal one that's twenty years old, of course. You can also buy whatever plastic one they're (I assume) currently making, or any of the variants in between!

WOTC's stance is equivalent to GW never making a terminator librarian after a tiny production run in like 1994, then when people ask for a new model or else they'll have to use a Scibor dude as a proxy, saying "gently caress you, we're not making a terminator librarian ever again and we're also going to treat you like a dirty thief if you go third party, let alone buy a recast."

WOTC has a less reasonable stance on something than GW. Let that sink in for a moment.

Herr Tog posted:

All right. I gotta weigh in here as an MTGO light motherfucker. poo poo is not 40k levels of buy in. You can still buy an event deck and mob the floor with fools who bought too many planeswalkers.

Well, you can also play 40k cheap (even recasts aside) by going with a small army, buying up cheap poo poo people have thrown on ebay, and getting a pdf of the rules from /tg/. In both cases, though, you're sacrificing something compared to the full game experience.

40k's rules are also much shittier compared to its competition than MTG's are but that's beside the point.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 13, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

JerryLee posted:

Well, you can also play 40k cheap (even recasts aside) by going with a small army, buying up cheap poo poo people have thrown on ebay, and getting a pdf of the rules from /tg/. In both cases, though, you're sacrificing something compared to the full game experience.

That's not a fair comparison. Buying bootlegs or getting deals on used stuff vs. actually buying new Magic Cards at the store.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

OK, highlights from the GW six-month report effortleperpost:

First, understand that this is reporting results from May to November, 2015. That's the most important period for Age of Sigmar release and revenues, but it's also the less-important of GW's two six-month periods: like most retailers they sell more stuff during Christmas.

The report is not bad. I mean that: almost all of the numbers are only changed a little from the previous May-Nov period. Currency fluctuations can legitimately be blamed for the very small (think 1-2%) changes in most of the numbers. GW did not spend an inordinate amount more on Cost of Sales, it did not see its revenues fall precipitously, there were no scary numbers anywhere. GW seems entirely capable of continuing to pay its 20p semi-annual dividend, which is the most important number for its major investors; the other being Earnings Per Share (EPS), which is actually up very slightly, from 14.5 to 14.9.

A few tidbits worthy of note:
-GW's licensing revenue more than doubled compared to the previous May-Nov period. This is probably due to releases of new videogames; vermintide wont' be on there yet, but some of the mobile games and stuff. It's still under 1.5M, and I've seen numbers from years and years ago that were triple that; but the next period will include some bigger titles like Vermintide, and Warhammer: Total War is coming up soon. Overall I'd expect GW's licensing revenues to be good for a while; four million pounds a year or so per year in new licensing revenues will more than offset the quite small declines we're seeing in trade and retail.
-GW's business in most geographical areas is OK, but it is collapsing (particularly in Trade, which is sales through independent retailers) in Australia and New Zealand:

But be careful when reading these numbers. All of them are reported in GB Pounds, which means that the different periods (the columns) represent different sets of exchange rates. For example, the US dollar has been rising against the GB pound:

During the May to November period of 2015, the US dollar was significantly stronger (and continued to strengthen) vs. the GBP, than it was the previous year's May-Nov period. This means that, looking only at the Trade revenues, while GW made 8.7M pounds for this period vs. 8.2M pounds in the previous, US sales were probably actually lower, as measured in US dollars. (I can't say exactly how much lower because I'm not sure how often or when GW converts currency; does it continuously convert its US sales profits, or only bring over hunks of cash every six months, or what?) I can say confidently that this higher number is not a sign that sales in the US are growing. (On the other hand, the Australian dollar is actually weaker vs. the pound in 2015 vs. 2014. So the loss of revenue from Australia is actually overstated a little bit, too. It's not a huge difference, though.) What is important from these numbers, though, is that none of them are profoundly different.
-GW's online sales ("Mail order") are up modestly; but the most that can be attributed to the website is about 400k pounds of increased sales.

And, the Big News here: it isn't the financial report at all, but rather, the guidance given in the highlights and interim managment report. Understand that guidance is a company's way of setting expectations. The idea is, you tell your investors as soon as you can, whether they should expect good, average, or poor performance at the next report (and why). The stock price should adjust according to those expectations. Then when you release your results, assuming there are no surprises, there's no reason for a panic sell-off (or crazy buy-up) from the results. Investors expect guidance and while I'm not sure if it's actually a regulatory requirement to give it, I know of no publicly-traded company that entirely avoids giving guidance for its upcoming reports.

GW's guidance is that its December sales were disappointing.

Given the May-Nov period's pre-tax profit was 6.3M, this means GW expects its Nov 2015-May 2016 pre-tax profit to be about 9.7M.

GW's 2015 annual pre-tax profit was 16.6M. So GW is announcing that it expects to have made slightly less profit this year than last year: and, last year's profit was itself a drop from the year before. The drop is pretty small, but you generally want to see the companies you invest in growing, not shrinking.

I expect GW's investors to mostly ignore this announcement. The share price may fall a little, but GW will probably keep paying the expected dividend. What GW's investors don't know or understand, is that the company is seeing declining profitibility despite absolutely slashing costs, in an environment when a number of its most important competitors are enjoying rapid growth. GW's investors don't know that because none of GW's competitors are publicly-traded companies with publicly stated, reliable financial reports. We in this thread can gather anecdotal evidence from what we see in game stores and what people are playing at conventions and tournaments, but that's not the sort of information that investors pay attention to or give much credit.

Conclusion: GW is far from bankrupt. At its current rate of decline, it can cut costs and maintain profitability even while it dwindles in size. The company could sustain itself for decades. It is still not an attractive aquisition target. It still has zero debt, and in fact makes a few tens of thousands of pounds a year in profits from the interest it earns on its operating cash reserves. Kevin Rountree is not going to be fired. Age of Sigmar has not killed the company, and isn't going to kill it.

thank you for this wonderful detailed write up. I have to agree with you. They are here to stay provided no major external force or internal problem.

jigokuman posted:

That thing is literally in a T pose. I've ready about lazy CAD sculpting here and wondered what was meant exactly, but this is blindingly obvious.

the face is even emotionless.

boom boom boom posted:

Alright, everybody. The GW Death thread Vifam watch starts tomorrow. I know we've got people from all sorts of time zones here so there's no specific time. Just watch the first episode of Round Vernian Vifam sometime tomorrow, and post your reaction in this thread.

Here's the Youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9loAdx3LYU

This openning is amazing and I am going to real sad when Dr. Crake dies.

So this show as a whole is pretty neat so far as humans are roughly on teh same tech level as the astrogaters. Unlike Macross where a whole lot of stealing technology has to go down. But it does have some classic child soldier overtones.
But I will admit all the robots have a stompy industrial simplicity to them that pleases me greatly.
I hope this keep its tone as the dark 'we never thought this could happen' and 'people are dying and I have to deal with this' is in a way refreshing to me.
'I won't cry!'

Leperflesh posted:

Abso loving lutely it does, yes. Hell yes. If I can't legally proxy an obviously-proxy card, I'm more likely to try to get away with a high-quality forgery.

So no one really thought this call out is what I am getting,.

boom boom boom posted:

If I am going to do that I may as well try that puzzle and dragons game.

LordAba posted:

boom boom boom posted:

I think so, I just assumed Millenium Blades was too.

If we're suggesting people get the CCG experience without actually playing one, I'm gonna say that people should read Wizard's Soul. It's a manga about a teen girl who has to play not-Magic to win back the money her dad lost speculating on not-Magic cards

http://mangapark.me/manga/wizard-s-soul-koi-no-seisen/s2/v1/c1

thank you for bringing both of these to my attention.

JerryLee posted:

40k's rules are also much shittier compared to its competition than MTG's are but that's beside the point.

Well ya see thats the thing. An event deck is a thing that is sold by WoTC themselves. You buy it, unwrapp it, sleeve it maybe, and play friday night magic. Not the same.

edit:

boom boom boom posted:

That's not a fair comparison. Buying bootlegs or getting deals on used stuff vs. actually buying new Magic Cards at the store.

thanks bro :respek:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

Talking about running an event deck at FNM (or whatever the gently caress Herr Tog was mumblin' about) in the air of talking about the buy in cost of a tier 1 standard or legacy deck is just as far apart so whatever?

And no, it really is. One of them is a discussion of the secondary market and one isn't. Saying MTG has a million permutations of reasonable cost structure for good game play isn't really relevant when talking about Legacy. And Standard, soon enough.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Talking about running an event deck at FNM (or whatever the gently caress Herr Tog was mumblin' about) in the air of talking about the buy in cost of a tier 1 standard or legacy deck is just as far apart so whatever?

And no, it really is. One of them is a discussion of the secondary market and one isn't. Saying MTG has a million permutations of reasonable cost structure for good game play isn't really relevant when talking about Legacy. And Standard, soon enough.

They are WoTC products.

here: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/dragons-tarkir-event-deck-2015-03-18

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1283

And the compairison is that I can buy this and play. I don't NEED to get tier 1 to show up and play, have fun, learn, and maybe win. a 40k army is the csot of sitting down at the table and playing.

Basically my goal is to say: MTG and Warhammer are not comparable in terms of cost of entry and so we should not continue to compair them.

Instead:

boom boom boom posted:

All in all, I'm definitely excited to see the next episode. Here's the link to episode 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuUOV3Y10G0

I'll watch this by thursday.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Fair enough; I thought we were just talking about getting as cheaply as possible to the point where we can pretend to play the game at its full scale, since we were using terms like "buy-in." But I think that's a point that needs clarification: are we comparing the prices that you need to play the game effectively, or are we just comparing what each manufacturer will sell us in shrinkwrap for $XX?

Along those lines, and I think this is what Spiderdrake is also talking about, trying to defuse the claims about Magic's buy-in by saying that you can technically play the game with an event deck is (perhaps unintentionally) disingenuous because an event deck simply does not allow you to fully play the game on the level that people are talking about when they talk about the several hundred dollar decks. You might be able to take games off the people at an LGS with decklists full of planeswalkers that they don't actually know how to play, but that's like saying you can beat some nerd's 2500 point Forgeworld army with the models from a battleforce box (probably the closest comparison to the event deck, even if they cost 2-3x the price) if he doesn't know how to play them either and spends his turns driving land raiders in circles while you shoot him up. In neither case have you "bought into" the game in the sense that anyone else is talking about, so it's not that useful a comparison, no matter how much I applaud you for smacking the smug out of some nerd with more money than sense.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

Fair enough; I thought we were just talking about getting as cheaply as possible to the point where we can pretend to play the game at its full scale, since we were using terms like "buy-in." But I think that's a point that needs clarification: are we comparing the prices that you need to play the game effectively, or are we just comparing what each manufacturer will sell us in shrinkwrap for $XX?

Along those lines, and I think this is what Spiderdrake is also talking about, trying to defuse the claims about Magic's buy-in by saying that you can technically play the game with an event deck is (perhaps unintentionally) disingenuous because an event deck simply does not allow you to fully play the game on the level that people are talking about when they talk about the several hundred dollar decks. You might be able to take games off the people at an LGS with decklists full of planeswalkers that they don't actually know how to play, but that's like saying you can beat some nerd's 2500 point Forgeworld army with the models from a battleforce box (probably the closest comparison to the event deck, even if they cost 2-3x the price) if he doesn't know how to play them either and spends his turns driving land raiders in circles while you shoot him up. In neither case have you "bought into" the game in the sense that anyone else is talking about, so it's not that useful a comparison, no matter how much I applaud you for smacking the smug out of some nerd with more money than sense.

In stead of effectively cause I feel like that word could be argued I'd rather say: legally. Because again playing once in an actually event can be a huge learning experience and from there you can tell if you want to dive deeper or if you want to try something else or if wizard poker just isn't for you.

You don't need to play at the same level at people who are deeper in or who have just spent more to enjoy yourself or learn. If the goal is to only win then we are talking about two different but not exclusive goals.
The planeswalker thing was from my own personal experience and I giggle remembering it. But it must be acknowledged that there is still the possibility for a tier 1 deck to be mana screwed or flooded and the other deck wins regardless of match up or meta. This does also go for Warhammer to a certain extent. But the cost of these two experiences differ greatly in time and money.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
You guys wanna see what happens you combine a RG Strike Gundam, a MG Strike Gundam, and a PG Strike Gundam?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The three pairs of arms makes it SLIGHTLY more ridiculous than average for a GW bot.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

To be fair you can reasonably compete at a fnm with a $20 budget brew, even when your fnm is chock full of top tier decks, because there's enough variance and their decks aren't enough better than yours over 4ish rounds to definitively assert their statistical dominance. Bigger events, much less so. Either way the price for a top tier deck in any format is loving absurd to me. TCGs. I dunno, man.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

This is the reason for why WotC doesn't reprint the cards you're no longer allowed to proxy- their largest customers have a huge amount of inventory that needs to maintain secondary market value. When they dipped their toe into revising their reprint policy a few years ago they got heat from them and pulled back crazy fast.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

tallkidwithglasses posted:

This is the reason for why WotC doesn't reprint the cards you're no longer allowed to proxy- their largest customers have a huge amount of inventory that needs to maintain secondary market value. When they dipped their toe into revising their reprint policy a few years ago they got heat from them and pulled back crazy fast.

I'm kind of curious as to what those people would actually do. Like if WotC reprinted the Black Lotus, are those companies just going to stop buying new MTG cards even though their value isn't really affected at all by the supply of Black Lotuses? Seems a bit like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

You guys wanna see what happens you combine a RG Strike Gundam, a MG Strike Gundam, and a PG Strike Gundam?

I really really like that.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm kind of curious as to what those people would actually do. Like if WotC reprinted the Black Lotus, are those companies just going to stop buying new MTG cards even though their value isn't really affected at all by the supply of Black Lotuses? Seems a bit like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Black lotus is a terrible comparison as it would ruin any meta it was reprinted it but it would sell out like crazy because even someone like me would want a black lotus. Let's use zendikar lands since onslaught lands were reprinted.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

To be fair you can reasonably compete at a fnm with a $20 budget brew, even when your fnm is chock full of top tier decks, because there's enough variance and their decks aren't enough better than yours over 4ish rounds to definitively assert their statistical dominance. Bigger events, much less so. Either way the price for a top tier deck in any format is loving absurd to me. TCGs. I dunno, man.

That is what I have been saying man

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
It's more like WotC and the big secondary market retailers have a codependent relationship- WotC wants them fostering a player community and buying lots of cases of product, while the retailers also want the players but make their money on both new unopened product as well as singles, which can be very profitable but requires a lot of inventory to make work. It's a big investment for a store that could very well get horribly devalued if WotC starts releasing boxes of tournament staples.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

It's more like WotC and the big secondary market retailers have a codependent relationship- WotC wants them fostering a player community and buying lots of cases of product, while the retailers also want the players but make their money on both new unopened product as well as singles, which can be very profitable but requires a lot of inventory to make work. It's a big investment for a store that could very well get horribly devalued if WotC starts releasing boxes of tournament staples.

So there isn't a retaliatory action that would take place it is more that they would be acting against their own best interests.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Hahahahahahaha it's a loving gundam dreadknight.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Herr Tog posted:

Black lotus is a terrible comparison as it would ruin any meta it was reprinted it but it would sell out like crazy because even someone like me would want a black lotus. Let's use zendikar lands since onslaught lands were reprinted.

I mean, couldn't WotC say "we're reprinting Black Lotus but you can only use it for Legacy games" or whatever? That seems like it'd be fair and would let people get the card if they really want, while collectors would probably still want the original-rear end Black Lotus. The only people who'd be hurt would be resellers, and 1) gently caress em, 2) it's not like they'd just get out of the reselling business. WotC should just harvest their tears.

Granted, about 90% of the time people talk about MtG my brain just filters it out as noise so there are probably reasons why this plan would fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well, at least with Modern Masters (the recent repreint sets) usually what happens is the value of those cards dropped slightly but then the price of the physical boosters rose to meet the price of the cards they contain and this poo poo happens: http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/modern-masters/modern-masters-booster-pack

• Locked thread