Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
At the start of the game, growth is absolutely everything, esp in the capital. 2 tricks for gleaming a couple of extra hammers are: 1 a new citizen will immediately generate hammers, so manually set all citizens, set production focus and leave a high production tile open when you grow. 2 if you finish a unit or building and there is no queue you will lose overflow hammers so always have a queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

exmachina posted:

if you finish a unit or building and there is no queue you will lose overflow hammers so always have a queue.

This isn’t true. Even vanilla saved hammer overflow.

The overflow cap is the turn’s production or the cost of the item produced, whichever is greater. It rarely matters unless you’re trying to cheese overflow to get a running start on a wonder/project, but it’s also something to be aware of when building really cheap things like workboats or walls in later eras. It’s easy to lose dozens of hammers by accident and not notice.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Platystemon posted:

The overflow cap is the turn’s production or the cost of the item produced, whichever is greater. It rarely matters unless you’re trying to cheese overflow to get a running start on a wonder/project, but it’s also something to be aware of when building really cheap things like workboats or walls in later eras. It’s easy to lose dozens of hammers by accident and not notice.

I was sure I saw this somewhere, but I have been watching filthy robot and noticing he often doesn't queue so perhaps you are right.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

Not at launch, I'm pretty sure. Got patched in quickly, of course.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Staltran posted:

Not at launch, I'm pretty sure. Got patched in quickly, of course.

I think that was only tech overflow.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Suddenly this started crashing. So wierd. Hope reinstalling fixes it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't played this game for about a year, and I'm playing now as Spain (random civ) on King. I managed to get lake victoria so that's nice. My question is, I never saw bison and chocolate before, so I looked and apparently it was patched in. The other thing I've noticed is Barbarians are everywhere and never loving stop. I don't think I have raging barbarians turned on. I'm not threatened by other civs because I think they're also too busy dealing with the barbarians, but there's tons of open space that is just spawning them. i have to have like 4 military units per city to scout or I literally get pillaged non-stop: get pillaged, send some guys to kill that encampment, get pillaged from the other direction. I'm about to discover industrialisation so it's not like I'm not far in the game, maybe 1220AD or so. I have played this game for hundreds of hours, just not recently. I never remembered so many loving barbarians.

Did barbarians get stronger in a patch over the last year and a half, or so?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

Did barbarians get stronger in a patch over the last year and a half, or so?

Barbarians spawn in unexplored space. Did you go with fewer civs than recommended for the map size? That would increase the number of barbarians.

It's either that or Raging Barbs, I'm pretty sure.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Barbarians spawn in unexplored space. Did you go with fewer civs than recommended for the map size? That would increase the number of barbarians.

It's either that or Raging Barbs, I'm pretty sure.

There's tons of unexplored space but I think for the first time ever I got lucky with no other civs close by.
edit: I checked my set up options. Raging barbarians were off, but drat were they RAGING.

redreader fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 2, 2016

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
It's not just in unexplored space. They will spawn in any area without active line of sight by a civ.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anywhere there is fog of war, Barbarians can spawn there. That ends up leading to amusing one-hex spots on coastlines that didn't get settled or anything that ends up being a recurring problem, if you're unlucky.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

redreader posted:

There's tons of unexplored space but I think for the first time ever I got lucky with no other civs close by.

No other civs close by means no one else killing barbarians near your territory. That would be why.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rotinaj posted:

Anywhere there is fog of war, Barbarians can spawn there. That ends up leading to amusing one-hex spots on coastlines that didn't get settled or anything that ends up being a recurring problem, if you're unlucky.

Small addendum: barbarian encampments cannot spawn on resource tiles. This knowledge comes in handy surprisingly often.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The Community Balance Patch just released a multiplayer and achievement-friendly version which also fully activates the AI in multiplayer. Everyone should try it out - it completely revitalised Civ 5 for me and I wouldn't play without it now.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Gort posted:

The Community Balance Patch just released a multiplayer and achievement-friendly version which also fully activates the AI in multiplayer. Everyone should try it out - it completely revitalised Civ 5 for me and I wouldn't play without it now.

So its one of those fake-DLC packs now? That's great news! My one gripe with the CBP mods was having to load them through the mods sub-menu which always takes ages on my PC.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Speaking of the CBP now incorporating active AI, I have recreated the GoonPack using it (still the original author, just got a name change). I should have it done shortly. It's bigger and badder than ever.

I unfortunately had to sacrifice InfoAddict for the moment because it crashes when returning to menu if activated. Also EUI doesn't play nicely with some of the Civs, so until they're updated it won't be compatible.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone happen to know the formula for how much gold the target and origin cities get for a trade route? Looking online there's a bunch of factors such as resources connected, gold income, but no hard formula you can look at, and I'm just curious if that info is out there.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I'm doing some simulations to hopefully trigger and iron out any bugs before release. I think it's going super well, bt for whatever reason late game the AI gets a huge hard on for work-boats and pontoon bridges, resulting in:

Also Indian Scandinavia because that's cool.

The new expansion clocks in at 4.4 GB, close to 100 new Civs (predominantly new ones not currently in the game, but also a 'Modern Civs' booster pack including WW1/WW2 Civs), Community Balance Patch (and everything that entails, including the culture/religion/tech overhaul and the addition of Corporations, CIV 4 Diplo features, and City-State Diplomacy), as well as some quality of life upgrades. Will post after a few more successful tests- just cleaning up some non-critical lua runtime-errors caused by lazy program.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

JVNO posted:

So I'm doing some simulations to hopefully trigger and iron out any bugs before release. I think it's going super well, bt for whatever reason late game the AI gets a huge hard on for work-boats and pontoon bridges, resulting in:

Also Indian Scandinavia because that's cool.

The new expansion clocks in at 4.4 GB, close to 100 new Civs (predominantly new ones not currently in the game, but also a 'Modern Civs' booster pack including WW1/WW2 Civs), Community Balance Patch (and everything that entails, including the culture/religion/tech overhaul and the addition of Corporations, CIV 4 Diplo features, and City-State Diplomacy), as well as some quality of life upgrades. Will post after a few more successful tests- just cleaning up some non-critical lua runtime-errors caused by lazy program.

And is that Chinese England? That is pretty rad.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

rotinaj posted:

And is that Chinese England? That is pretty rad.

People's Republic of China

First modern china mod that was balanced enough to be included.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I welcome the Viking Indians.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Ekster posted:

I welcome the Viking Indians.

By the end of the game Gandhi was at war with 75% of the world. Not sure what happened as I left it running overnight :v:

That game was the result of 20 deity Civs and 40 city-states on a real earth map as a stress test. The AI managed to win by the early 1900s despite a massive fuckpile of war. The map is pretty resource rich though. Running a couple standard Communitas games on prince now to check for balance issues.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
As promised-

Civ GoonPack CBP Edition

Description posted:

A Goon made mod-pack that greatly expands upon the original game. This humongous (4.4GB!) modpack is essentially a full expansion, adding new gameplay features and balancing old features on top of a bucketload of new Civs! Best of all, it's multiplayer compatible!

Download Links posted:

Civilization Goonpack CBP Edition

Decryption Key: !k6zJ9Bt50kWdV71Hfupx7MzvXD8mV7QIgsVbRYmYrqw

Installation Instructions posted:

• Remove old install! you cannot simply overwrite the old one!
  • You MUST own all Extra Civ and Wonder DLC- some of the mods in the pack modify or change these Civs, and will break if they are not installed

• For Windows:
    • Download the version listed above
    • Unpack the contents of the GoonPack Definitive (v[/i]
    • Start the game and enjoy!

• For Mac:
    • Visit This Link because I clearly have no idea D:

Features posted:

New Game Features
  • Community Patch Project
    • Community Balance Patch, including:[list]
    • City-State diplomacy Mod
    • Civ IV Diplomatic Features
    • JDH Active AI
    • Corporations
    • And more!
  • InfoAddict (v 22)
  • Global - Commander Influence Borders (v 1)
  • Unit Path Viewer (v 10)
  • JFD's Cultural Diversity (Core) (v 2)
  • JFD's Cultural Diversity (Soundtrack) (v 1)

New Civs
  • Colonialist Legacies
    • Colonialist Legacies - Australia (v 3)
    • Colonialist Legacies - Afghanistan (v 3)
    • Colonialist Legacies - Canadian Dominion (v 1)
    • Colonialist Legacies - Kimberley Aboriginals (v 2)
    • Colonialist Legacies - Kulin (v 1)
    • Colonialist Legacies - Malaysia (v 1)
    • Colonialist Legacies - Mexican Republic (v 1)
    • Colonialist Legacies - Phillipine Republic (v 3)
    • Colonialist Legacies - The Beothuk (v 1)
    • Colonialist Legacies - The Blackfoot Confederacy (v 2)
    • Colonialist Legacies - The Boers (v 1)
    • Colonialist Legacies - The Inuit (v 2)
    • Colonialist Legacies - Vietnam ft. Trung Sisters (v 1)

• JFD Civs
    • JFD's The Anglo-Saxons (v 1)
    • JFD's The Commonwealth of Iceland (v 2)
    • JFD's The Confederation of Switzerland (v 5)
    • JFD's The Dominion of New Zealand (v 1)
    • JFD's The Empire of Germany (Hitler) (v 9)
    • JFD's The Empire of Japan (Tojo) (v 3)
    • JFD's The Grand Duchy of Lithuania (v 1)
    • JFD's The Khazar Khaganate (v 2)
    • JFD's The Kingdom of Armenia (v 3)
    • JFD's The Kingdom of Bavaria (v 2)
    • JFD's The Kingdom of Belgium (v 1)
    • JFD's The Kingdom of Bohemia (v 3)
    • JFD's The Kingdom of Denmark-Norway (v 1)
    • JFD's The Kingdom of Francia (v 6)
    • JFD's The Kingdom of Hungary (v 8)
    • JFD's The Kingdom of Italy (v 3)
    • JFD's The Kingdom of Norway (v 6)
    • JFD's The Kingdom of Prussia (v 16)
    • JFD's The Kingdom of Scotland (v 2)
    • JFD's The Republic of France (v 1)
    • JFD's The Soviet Union (Stalin) (v 13)
    • JFD's The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (v 5)
    • JFD's The United Kingdoms of Sweden-Norway (v 1)
    • JFD's The United States of America (Roosevelt) (v 4)

• Leugi Civs
    • Leugi's Bolivian Civilization (v 10)
    • Leugi's Cuban Civilization (v 5)
    • Leugi's Israel Civilization (v 7)
    • Leugi's Philistine Civilization (v 6)
    • [BNW] Aymara Civilization (v 2)
    • [BNW] Mapuche Civilization (v 1)
    • Argentina Civilization (v 1)
    • Chile Civilization (v 2)
    • Paraguay Civilization [BNW] (v 1)
    • Peru Civilization (v 1)

• MC Civs
    • Ayyubid Civilization (v 2)
    • Kilwa Sultanate (v 4)
    • Nazca Civilization (v 3)
    • Oman Civilization (v 1)

• ROC Civs
    • RoC's Quebec (v 2)
    • RoC's The Navajo (v 2)
    • RoC's The Powhatan (v 2)

• Sukritract Civs
    • Sukritact's Burmese Civilization (v 2)
    • Sukritact's Chinookan Civilization (v 2)
    • Sukritact's Khmer Civilization (v 1)
    • Sukritact's Phoenician Civilization (v 2)
    • Sukritact's Sami Civilization (v 3)
    • Sukritact's Tuscan Civilization (v 4)

• Tarciso CM
    • TarcisioCM - Austria-Hungary (v 1)
    • TarcisioCM - The Ottomans (Mehmed V) (v 2)

• Tomatekh Civs
    • Benin (Brave New World) (v 43)
    • Harappa - Indus Valley (Brave New World) (v 35)
    • Kongo (Brave New World) (v 35)
    • Mali (Brave New World) (v 50)
    • Sumer (BNW or GK) (v 56)
    • The Bantu (v 2)
    • The Buccaneers (v 1)
    • The Garamantes (Brave New World) (v 58)
    • The Goths (BNW or GK) (v 66)
    • The Hittites (Brave New World) (v 64)
    • The Sioux (Brave New World) (v 19)
    • The Timurids (Brave New World) (v 59)
    • Tiwanaku Civilization (v 1)
    • Tupi Civilization Mod (v 1)
New Civs: 77

Patch Notes posted:

Version 1.0 (Jan 12, 2016):
  • Completely new modpack!

Known Issues:

• Golden Age Tool-Tip not updating correctly
  • Blank Diplo screens occassionally (Related to JDH Active AI- not fixable at current
  • Vanilla Lancers as gifts from City State militaries
  • Units damaged by Bison regardless of Blackfoot being in game or owning tile
  • Luxembourg/Melbourne name mixups
  • Hittite Forge replacement can only be built in limited numbers- problematic as CBP makes forge a pre-requisite for workshop->Factory->Power Plant
  • Great Generals MAY not spawn correctly- however I am having trouble reproducing the conditions which caused this.
  • UNABLE TO REPRODUCE - Capital production icon missing
  • UNABLE TO REPRODUCE - Diplomatic screen showing first leader encountered for all leaders
  • UNABLE TO REPRODUCE - Flag icon in Inuit Warrior tooltip
  • UNABLE TO REPRODUCE - Inuit capital revealed but broken when loading game
  • No Pig Iron
  • Baba Yetu not yet included in soundtrack.

Most of the thanks goes to the content creators!

Enjoy!

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 17, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

JVNO posted:

As promised-

Civ GoonPack CBP Edition

Your link is asking for a decryption key.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I've added the decryption key. For some reason I didn't need one last time for Mega, but it seems they're mandatory now.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

So it looks like there would now be a way to run both the Active AI in MP mod and eUI?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'll try this out next time I inevitably reinstall Civ, sure. Thanks for your efforts, guys!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Baller. Thanks, JVNO!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Luceo posted:

So it looks like there would now be a way to run both the Active AI in MP mod and eUI?

You always could run active AI and EUI together- the limitation was on two DLL based mods loaded at the same time. Active AI has now been bundled into the community DLL however, so it should be compatible with a bunch more things now.

Bogart posted:

Baller. Thanks, JVNO!

Cheers, I know you enjoyed the previous ones! My partner and I are apart for 12 weeks due to school so it spurred me to create something new for us to play.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

JVNO posted:

You always could run active AI and EUI together- the limitation was on two DLL based mods loaded at the same time. Active AI has now been bundled into the community DLL however, so it should be compatible with a bunch more things now.

Maybe I'm not asking the right question; I mean loading them both using the fake DLC method. I don't want all the stuff in the Community patch, just Active AI and eUI running together in multiplayer. Is this possible?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
EUI is independent of MODPACKs, and can run alongside them. Always have been able to- just depending on the mod you may need to copy over the CultureOverview.lua (or maybe CityView? I can't remember) from EUI to the MP_ModPack UI folder.

Note some mods have special EUI compatible versions.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I assume I should disable the base CBP mods before installing this one?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

JVNO posted:

As promised-

Civ GoonPack CBP Edition

Just a couple problems I see with this release so far:

The Tool-tip for Golden Ages is the same as the Happiness tooltip.
Next is I just had another Civ offer me a tribute (freely!) and the entire diplomacy screen was blank - I could only refuse their gift as the 'accept' button was disabled.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Does a good revolutions mod not exist yet? Something like RevDCM in CIV4.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Xelkelvos posted:

I assume I should disable the base CBP mods before installing this one?

Yes that should be correct.

berryjon posted:

Just a couple problems I see with this release so far:

The Tool-tip for Golden Ages is the same as the Happiness tooltip.
Next is I just had another Civ offer me a tribute (freely!) and the entire diplomacy screen was blank - I could only refuse their gift as the 'accept' button was disabled.

Bound to run into a few issues since I'm a one man testing team but I tried to clear up any critical game crashing ones. Thanks for mentioning the tool tip for golden ages.

As for the blank diplomacy screen- I believe that has to do with JDH Active AI and is probably not something I can fix. It usually happens when they can't fulfill the deal they proposed, or if multiple deals for the same item got cued up before your turn. For example, you may get 4 Civs proposing deals for a luxury trade when you only have 2 copies of that luxury.

John F Bennett posted:

Does a good revolutions mod not exist yet? Something like RevDCM in CIV4.

Gedemon worked on a Revolutions mechanic a while back but I don't think it's been updated in a fairly long time. Not sure if it's even still functional.

Sadly I doubt we'll ever get something as in depth and amazing as Rhyse or RevDCM for Civ V.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
The year is 1920. The first World War has just recently ended. Things went really tits up for the allied powers.

Rather than invade through Belgium, Germany claimed Lyon and quickly sued for peace. They promptly used it launch a campaign to conquer Switzerland. The Central Powers quickly dominated east Europe as well. Surprisingly, the Dutch and Belgians held out.

Hilariously, the second Spanish-Canadian war has begun. In a bizarre turn of fortune, an American Civ colonized Europe. Canadians had earlier conquered Galicia when both were swept up in WW1 on opposite sides.

Over on the eastern front, the utter economic collapse of Russia prohibited a reaction to a combined invasionary force of Austria and Germany. They've been losing lots of territory. Perhaps their fortunes are about to change though- the adoption of Freedom and less territory to manage have improved their military and economy rather markedly, shifting the balance of power.

The allies lost significant ground to the Central Powers in africa as well. Germany took the lion's share of France's territory, while Britain lost most of its North African and Arabian Peninsula holdings. Its misfortune far from over, Britain lost the remainder of its African holdings in a secondary war with Portugal.

The Shah quickly consolidated the Muslim regions east of the Ottoman Empire under its hold. Once again, Britain took an absolute beating and lost Pakistan and the majority of India

Finally, the Russo-Japanese war was even more of a depressingly huge embarrassment for the Russians,

Tensions are quickly escalating again. Russia and China both capitulated to world pressure and adopted Freedom/Democracy after a short flirt with Communism- and the autocratic Civs are teetering on the edge of another war declaration as the civlized world rammed Freedom through as a World Ideology.

I must say, CBP makes the combat far more intuitive and engaging.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 14, 2016

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

JVNO posted:

The year is 1920. The first World War has just recently ended. Things went really went tits up for the allied powers.

It inordinately pleases me that all your screenshots are 1914 pixels wide.

JVNO posted:

Over on the eastern front, the utter economic collapse of Russia prohibited a reaction to a combined invasionary force of Austria and Germany. They've been losing lots of territory. Perhaps their fortunes are about to change though- the adoption of Freedom and less territory to manage have improved their military and economy rather markedly, shifting the balance of power.

The Shah quickly consolidated the Muslim regions east of the Ottoman Empire under its hold. Once again, Britain took an absolute beating and lost Pakistan and the majority of India

This shot is duplicated.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

It inordinately pleases me that all your screenshots are 1914 pixels wide.

Sheer coincidence- I used the built in screenshot function while in windowed mode I guess. Nonetheless, neat coincidence

quote:

This shot is duplicated.

Fixed

Bonus Content: CBP is amazing-

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 15, 2016

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

If anyone else runs into the problem I did with the modpack where you can't open the city production window or build anything, it's probably because you have EUI installed as a fake DLC and haven't done anything to make it compatible. An easy fix is to remove the UI_bc1 folder from your \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC directory. You won't get the fancy EUI stuff then, but oh well.

I'm enjoying this so far, I loved CBP but haven't played it in a bit, so now I'm playing it with a bunch of the new Civs (including Hitler), it's sweet.

I thought there were 1 tile ocean bridges in this modpack? How do I get those, I haven't seen anything in the Civlopedia about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

JVNO posted:

Sheer coincidence- I used the built in screenshot function while in windowed mode I guess. Nonetheless, neat coincidence

Fixed

Bonus Content: CBP is amazing-

I only ever seem to get that when I'm busy wiping out whatever civ is saying it to me. Why yes; [civ], I've done nothing of note, except conquering you.

Maybe it is because I don't really do tourism victories, but is everyone supposed to just decide to declare war on you when you're getting close to one? I guess they just want me to speed it up and conquer the hold outs with my vastly superior military.

• Locked thread