Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I did the timing on my car last week and everything seemed alright. Drove about 600~ miles since then and this morning I got a code saying that the camshaft position timing is over-retarded. Is this just due to the belt breaking in? Is it alright to drive like this for another few hundred miles? The car seems to be running fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What year?

:10bux: on you not retiming the car and it's an NA.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

It's a 2002. 1.8 with VVT.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nooooooooo. Yeah, no idea on that one since the cam sensor is right on top of the VC.

I'd check to make sure you plugged back in the VVT solenoid connector all of the way. That's the only way I could see a retard condition on an NB2.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
My 2002 VVT got a random CEL for camshaft position sensor the other day, along with the EGR code. Checked the connector and cleared the code, few dozen drive cycles since and it hasn't reappeared. I'm going to pretend it didn't happen.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Mine just disappeared as well. Maybe it has to do with the cold? :iiam:

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Partial Octopus posted:

Mine just disappeared as well. Maybe it has to do with the cold? :iiam:

Basically a mystery.

If I had to suspect maybe my oil is a bit old/dirty and didn't pressurize the actuator in time. It was cold as well and I don't sit there and warm it up, rather just takeoff right away.

Also

"If there is failure in the electrical input to the oil control valve, the OCV rotates to its maximum retard position."

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 7, 2016

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Cmon, Mazda! You never go full retard!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
By the way, the cam position sensor is notoriously lovely. Like it's possible to buy a new one that fails straight out of the box, I think that happened to Savington.

Fatcow had one go bad on him a few years ago when he got his NB on track for the first time. I think he did two laps before it gave up the ghost.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I put in a new cam sensor when I did the timing belt too. I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What bucket seats do you guys recommend that aren't stupid expensive? I'm getting sick of looking at my ripped leather seats.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Finally heard back from my fleet dealer buddy. He can't import the Canadian GT, which had the LSD as well. Bummer. So it's Club for me, most likely.

As far as alignment goes, is it just the usual $70 deal and they'll know what to do, or do I need to be more specific than that?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go find a race shop and try to sit in the car while they do it. The car has fully independent suspension on all four corners and you can adjust the camber, most cars have struts where you can really only adjust the toe.

The basics are symmetrical settings left to right and maybe a touch of toe in for the rear. You can look at my settings and crib those, but I'm happy with its street manners and felt it was a good starting point.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Phone posted:

Go find a race shop and try to sit in the car while they do it. The car has fully independent suspension on all four corners and you can adjust the camber, most cars have struts where you can really only adjust the toe.

The basics are symmetrical settings left to right and maybe a touch of toe in for the rear. You can look at my settings and crib those, but I'm happy with its street manners and felt it was a good starting point.

How much does something like this cost, roughly? I am going to want to do this for the NC when it comes out of hibernation because it's probably never been done.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

GutBomb posted:

How much does something like this cost, roughly? I am going to want to do this for the NC when it comes out of hibernation because it's probably never been done.

$70 usually. Same procedure as s normal alignment, you're just in the car during it. Or put in sandbags equal to your weight if they don't want you sitting in it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GutBomb posted:

Depends on your area. Figure an hour's worth of work and maybe a surcharge for customer defined specs. There's two shops here locally that will do it, one is an independent shop that will do exactly what you say for $125 or so, another will do it, too; however, you have to ride their rear end the entire time about getting everything set correctly because they're not used to having slammed import cars with huge wheels and tires on them for $85.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

GutBomb posted:

Generally an hour of labor at a race shop.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Rhyno posted:

Depending on the weather today you should grab a friend and head to a car wash, have them spray the car all around the roof and door seams, the all along the bottom of the top along the trunk. Dumping tons of water on the car is how I found my problem.

Found the leak! It rained pretty hard the other day and all dry. The issue was the grommet used to attach the cowl covers. Documented here a few posts down as the exact location: http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132159

So very happy it was an easy fix.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

FatCow posted:

Generally an hour of labor at a race shop.

I've never been to a race shop nor do I know roughly how much that costs so that's pretty much what I was asking.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GutBomb posted:

I've never been to a race shop nor do I know roughly how much that costs so that's pretty much what I was asking.

Just google alignment shop- your city and start calling around asking questions, it's not difficult dude.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm getting it done as well. I called around to a few places and none of them would let me sit in it while they did it... I'll keep asking around. I'm going to just steal Phone's recommendations unless I should go with "standard alignment" or whatever.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
Local Firestone was pretty cool about it; lifetime alignment with custom specs for like $180. Useful once the season spins up.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

King-Kong posted:

Local Firestone was pretty cool about it; lifetime alignment with custom specs for like $180. Useful once the season spins up.

My local Firestone are dicks and refused to take custom specs so I found a little Indy shop that will for it for $60 a pop.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

leica posted:

Just google alignment shop- your city and start calling around asking questions, it's not difficult dude.

Got it. I'll keep the discussion out of the discussion forums.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Got it. I'll keep the discussion out of the discussion forums.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, it's just that we can't answer that question accurately, it's different wherever you live so you just have to call around and see who does what for how much. Every place I called here refused to do it with me sitting in the car, and a lot wouldn't do custom specs either. After calling a bunch of places I was finally able to find someone that would do custom specs at a reasonable price. I've seen 4 wheel alignments range from 60 to over 100 depending where you go. You may as well be asking "how much would it cost to have a water heater installed?" Depends on who does it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

leica posted:

I wasn't trying to be a dick, it's just that we can't answer that question accurately, it's different wherever you live so you just have to call around and see who does what for how much. Every place I called here refused to do it with me sitting in the car, and a lot wouldn't do custom specs either. After calling a bunch of places I was finally able to find someone that would do custom specs at a reasonable price. I've seen 4 wheel alignments range from 60 to over 100 depending where you go. You may as well be asking "how much would it cost to have a water heater installed?" Depends on who does it.

See, the thing is that I was already satisfied with everyone else's answers and I commented that one of them was (likely intentionally) obtuse. I didn't expect an exact price hence my use of "roughly." I was expecting to maybe, I don't know, hear how much other people here had paid for the same service since it's probably going to be roughly the same.

You were trying to be a dick. It's fine. Own it. I was just being a dick back.

Let's get back to talking about our homo cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was just giving you a hard time because you should know these things after posting here for so long.

But if you want to think i was being a dick that's fine with me lol.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

leica posted:

I was just giving you a hard time because you should know these things after posting here for so long.

But if you want to think i was being a dick that's fine with me lol.

Agreed. There is discussion and there is hand holding. Pick up the phone and call around. Not hard.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What size snow tire and steel wheel should I get for my NB?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Partial Octopus posted:

Do whatever TireRack tells you to get. I like to go -1 wheel size if it's possible to fit over the brakes, gives you a little more sidewall to cushion frozen ruts and the like.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Partial Octopus posted:

Sorry, asking questions isn't allowed in this thread. Call mazda. It's not hard.

Bovril Delight posted:

Agreed. There is discussion and there is hand holding. Pick up the phone and call around. Not hard.

Asking someone who has had a specific service done roughly how much it costs is not asking for handholding. Saying "go look it up" is being a dick.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Do whatever TireRack tells you to get. I like to go -1 wheel size if it's possible to fit over the brakes, gives you a little more sidewall to cushion frozen ruts and the like.

I tried that but the smallest and cheapest wheel it's showing is this 16 inch wheel: http://tinyurl.com/h2quae2 for $97.

I thought I could fit 15 inch steelies for a lot cheaper but it's not showing up on the website.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Check craigslist, you should be able to pick up a set of cheap stock or even aftermarket alloys and go from there. Maybe even find a set of Miata steelies cheap, hell I got a set for free.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Partial Octopus posted:

I tried that but the smallest and cheapest wheel it's showing is this 16 inch wheel: http://tinyurl.com/h2quae2 for $97.

I thought I could fit 15 inch steelies for a lot cheaper but it's not showing up on the website.

I have a 99 with non sport brakes and ran 185/65/14 or 185/60/14's on steelies without issue, can't remember which. General Altimax Arctic were what I had, found they worked really well. I ski patrol, so I was quite literally plowing the highway some days.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Any idea why tire rack says that 16's will fit the LS miata but 15's will not?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is it a NB2? The brakes can't be that much bigger.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

It is an NB2. Do you think I could go as low as 14x6? They're way less expensive than the 16 or 15 options.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 13, 2016

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
15" Koseis cleared the sport calipers on my 02 LS so I'd imagine they'll clear NB2 calipers without issues too.

Partial Octopus posted:

It is an NB2. Do you think I could go as low as 14x6? They're way less expensive than the 16 or 15 options.

I have a spare set of 14" Miata rims with xice snows for a Miata, they just barely didn't clear the calipers for my car. If you want to drive to Boston, we can try test mounting them and if they fit you can have them for super cheap.

I also have stock 16s with Toyo snows mounted on the car which will definitely fit. If you have some crappy wheels you don't mind parting ways with so I can still roll my car around, we can work something out on a swap for those.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 13, 2016

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I just checked the brochure for the 2002 model. Theres no difference with the brakes between the standard and LS versions so I don't see why the 14 inch wheels shouldn't fit. Must just have to do with tire racks website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

15" Koseis cleared the sport calipers on my 02 LS so I'd imagine they'll clear NB2 calipers without issues too.

I have a spare set of 14" Miata rims with xice snows for a Miata, they just barely didn't clear the calipers for my car. If you want to drive to Boston, we can try test mounting them and if they fit you can have them for super cheap.

I also have stock 16s with Toyo snows mounted on the car which will definitely fit. If you have some crappy wheels you don't mind parting ways with so I can still roll my car around, we can work something out on a swap for those.

Did you have the stock calipers?

I'm just trying to find out the fastest and cheapest way I can get into snow tires. Driving to Boston is a little too far for me but thanks for the offer. Tire Rack can get me a set of steelies with Dunlop Winter Max's for 400 which is pretty solid.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 13, 2016