Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love it.

edit: St. Louis, now there's a town that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
dissolve the Raiders

Hawaii Hulas imo

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The L.A. Rams. Huh. How about that. So, three seasons in the Coliseum, followed by a move to the old Hollywood Park. Is there any transit heading that way? I know LA has been expanding its light rail.

I'm skeptical about two teams though, especially if the second is at a significant financial disadvantage. LA doesn't seem to care enough, although the city is so huge that the money may make sense regardless.

Any sense of how many fans in San Diego the Chargers would hold onto if they move north? I have to imagine it's a greater percentage than the Rams will retain in St Louis, even without the way the Rams blew the bridges behind them.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

edit: St. Louis, now there's a town that sucks.

*nods lightly*

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The LA Coliseum is gonna be so empty.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MechaFrogzilla posted:

The L.A. Rams. Huh. How about that. So, three seasons in the Coliseum, followed by a move to the old Hollywood Park. Is there any transit heading that way? I know LA has been expanding its light rail.

The Crenshaw Line which goes from LACMA to LAX will stop by there. It should open in 2019.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you wanna pack the LA Coliseum just have Kobe join the Rams and then announce he's retiring.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I'm skeptical about two teams though, especially if the second is at a significant financial disadvantage. LA doesn't seem to care enough, although the city is so huge that the money may make sense regardless.

Any sense of how many fans in San Diego the Chargers would hold onto if they move north? I have to imagine it's a greater percentage than the Rams will retain in St Louis, even without the way the Rams blew the bridges behind them.

There are 6 million people in Missouri, more than half of them root for the Chiefs.

There are 18 million people in the greater Los Angeles combined statistical area.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Davis would be smart as hell to take the hush money from Kronke than turn around and take the sweet public funding from STL and move the Raiders.

Give the Chiefs a close by division rival. :)

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

If you wanna pack the LA Coliseum just have Kobe join the Rams and then announce he's retiring.

Can the Chargers get Blake Griffin to come in and tell him he's a scrub? I mean it only makes sense with two ex San Diego teams

GopherFlats fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 13, 2016

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

kiimo posted:

There are 6 million people in Missouri, more than half of them root for the Chiefs.

There are 18 million people in the greater Los Angeles combined statistical area.

How many of those are transplants that don't give a poo poo about an LA team?

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
can't we just all agree that both St Louis AND Los Angeles blow a bonafide treasure trove of donkey dildo

also broadly speaking, all Boston sports. and the Raiders. thanks for reading!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
How much money do teams make from people actually coming to games compared to what they make from TV (which is split equally right?)? Or is it more about merch and brand value?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ross Angeles posted:

Qualcomm is a shithole

Oco is the literal shithole

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
what an absolute fucker

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/687115910772047872

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

midwest ink posted:

Not enough. With those kind of numbers it just doesn't matter. A stadium by LAX will be supported. There will be Superbowls. Bowl Games. UCLA will play games here from time to time. Book it.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

midwest ink posted:

Most people I know here (in LA metro area) are from some eastern or midwestern place and already root for a team from where they are from. So they'll go to games when their team plays the LA team, at least!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

kiimo posted:

Not enough. With those kind of numbers it just doesn't matter. A stadium by LAX will be supported. There will be Superbowls. Bowl Games. UCLA will play games here from time to time. Book it.

Don't forget the inevitable Wrestlemania

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Frackie Robinson posted:

How much money do teams make from people actually coming to games compared to what they make from TV (which is split equally right?)? Or is it more about merch and brand value?

IIRC most of the the money made in the stadium goes to the team itself. There was some general fund for 40% of ticket sales and the like, but sponsorship and advertising isn't shared.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sekhmet posted:

Most people I know here (in LA metro area) are from some eastern or midwestern place and already root for a team from where they are from. So they'll go to games when their team plays the LA team, at least!

Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Angels, Kings, and Ducks have plenty of fans, often from transplants.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/BairCSN/status/687117510764670976

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Angels, Kings, and Ducks have plenty of fans, often from transplants.

I actually know a Canadian-born transplant who roots for the Kings! (though she's from Toronto and lol Leafs)

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

kiimo posted:

That I don't doubt. But two teams? I feel like there's going to be an odd man out here, and it seems like it's going to be the Chargers.

Who knows, though? Winning seems to solve pretty much everything.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
Ducks and Angels aren't LA teams.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Plus with all the money in LA, they can sell all the luxury boxes they can possibly cram in.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
honestly im most happy that Carson, a literal piece of feces backwater industrial trash pile and industrial graffiti park, got shafted. enjoy your garbage dump and oil refinery you loving losers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Oh, he's actually named Enos Stan Kroenke, I was trying to figure out who the other STL sports guy he was supposedly named after was.

Of course they're both Cardinals.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chinatown posted:

honestly im most happy that Carson, a literal piece of feces backwater industrial trash pile and industrial graffiti park, got shafted. enjoy your garbage dump and oil refinery you loving losers.

gently caress Carson

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

hmmmmmm

https://twitter.com/nickpistor/status/687095882416689152

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ross Angeles posted:

gently caress Carson

Remember this. I hope this person has decided to end his lovely awful life.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/687120109744177153

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GopherFlats posted:

Ducks and Angels aren't LA teams.

I guess neither were the Rams after 1980.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Lmao the Raiders Statement:

quote:

The Raiders congratulate Stan Kroenke and the Rams on their successful bid for relocation to Los Angeles. The Raiders will now turn our attention to exploring all options to find a permanent stadium solution. We thank fans throughout the Raider Nation for their unrivaled passion and support.

aka

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Gone Baptizin posted:

I would switch to the Chiefs as well but I don't own an El Camino. I think i'll take a break from the NFL for a year i've watched every Rams game since 97 or so as sad as that is.

Sounds like they've saved you from yourself.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

The Tijuana Taxis.

:five:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blitz7x posted:

Lmao the Raiders Statement:

aka

please don't trigger me with this

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
Bye bye you sweet st louis guys,
sure you had a losing season but you gave it some tries
and good ol chargers said "get hosed raider guys"
saying this will be the day spanos dies....

Song was in my head while cooking dinner. I'm not great at lyrics though :v:

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

I like how they don't even mention the city of Oakland in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
California has so goddamned many sports teams:

NFL:
49ers
Raiders
Chargers
Rams
(Make them all the NFC West)

NBA:
Kings
Warriors
Clippers
Lakers