Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

HookShot posted:

When I was in Alberta I saw some hunters getting ready to start their day on the side of highway 40 one morning at like 7am so I sat on my horn for the next kilometer or so.

Saw them flipping me off in the rearview.

How do you know they weren't first nations people trying to exercise their traditional hunting rights while you're driving the wedge between our two cultures even deeper?

Furnaceface posted:

Hes not from that far north in Ontario. Personally I like his "Hudak was up front about being a corrupt shithead that wanted to privatize everything while Wynne lying about it makes it so much worse despite the same end results!" approach. Small Business Owner LogicTM.

You don't have to be a small business owner to understand the difference between owning 40% and 51% of a business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ikantski posted:

How do you know they weren't first nations people trying to exercise their traditional hunting rights while you're driving the wedge between our two cultures even deeper?

I have eyes, they were two fat loving white dudes that basically parked their F-350 in the middle of the highway.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

You don't have to be a small business owner to understand the difference between owning 40% and 51% of a business.

I mean no offense but you must be really loving gullible if you think Hudak would have stopped at selling off 49%.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wynne said she wouldn't sell any and actually sold 60%, so Hudak saying he would sell 49% probably means he would have sold 109%.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
no one cares about your stupid hydro shut up

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

HookShot posted:

I have eyes, they were two fat loving white dudes that basically parked their F-350 in the middle of the highway.

I've got a few friends who have their status card, you'd never know it to look at them. Some of them are fat and don't have dark skin. It's crazy to suggest this, especially in this forum, but you may not be able to tell if somebody is native by looking at them while driving past them on a highway. It's 2016 ffs, I shouldn't have to say this.

Furnaceface posted:

I mean no offense but you must be really loving gullible if you think Hudak would have stopped at selling off 49%.

If he was lying about it, why put it in the platform at all?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

no one cares about your stupid hydro shut up
My hydro bills are so cheap since I moved to a place with modern windows and a fireplace (and the gas is free!)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Imagine I posted one thousand quotes of you mocking Liberals and NDP for putting things on their platform and then lying about it. Im sure by now you have at least that number on Trudeau alone.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
***PUTS ARMS AROUND HYDRO FOR A HUGGLE***

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ikantski posted:

what on earth'

edit: not a bad thread title.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 13, 2016

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

ocrumsprug posted:

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/686980065075294208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The largest city in the West has a serious housing crisis. The province is refusing to build affordable homes because that would damage property values which is main reason for the crisis. Basically gently caress the working poor, there are rich mainlanders that could be negatively affected.

This is probably the second least evil premiere this province has had in 40 years.

Christy Clark is a horrible train wreck of a premier. Housing prices are simply batshit insane here in Vancouver, and the next generation isn't sticking around.

Case in point: Vancouver General Hospital has 25% of their OR nurse jobs vacant. Ever wonder why that is? Lots of reasons, but bananas cost of living anywhere near 12th and Cambie has an awful lot to do with it.

Mandibular Fiasco fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 13, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dreylad posted:

what on earth

If he wanted to sell 100% of Hydro One but knew it would be unpopular, why lie about only selling 49% instead of just lying about not selling any of Hydro One? That's why I think he was telling the truth about only selling 49% of Hydro One.

Furnaceface posted:

Imagine I posted one thousand quotes of you mocking Liberals and NDP for putting things on their platform and then lying about it. Im sure by now you have at least that number on Trudeau alone.

NDP doesn't do that, they'd have to get into power first. And I like the NDP, I voted for them federally.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Christy Clark is a horrible train wreck of a premier. Housing prices are simply batshit insane here in Vancouver, and the next generation isn't sticking around.

Case in point: Vancouver General Hospital has 25% of their OR nurse jobs vacant. Ever wonder why that is? Lots of reasons, but bananas cost of living anywhere near 12th and Cambie has an awful lot to do with it.

Renting on a nurse's income is extremely affordable in that area. And you get a union.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
There's nothing in that area on padmapper right now (that's livable) for less than 2k. That's loving insane. 5 years ago the average rent for a 1 br was probably around 1000.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Cultural Imperial posted:

There's nothing in that area on padmapper right now (that's livable) for less than 2k. That's loving insane. 5 years ago the average rent for a 1 br was probably around 1000.

Less, I had a friend renting a 1 br suite around Balsam in a really nice purpose-built apartment block. Hardwood floors, lots of sunlight, the works. $700.

But hey, what's to be done? There are no loving jobs anywhere else in BC, and it's a long cold drive to Toronto in the hopes it's any better back east. So Vancouver will continue to crunch the youth like granola for a long, long time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ikantski posted:

The NDP would have been better but it doesn't matter because the $8m in union OLP advertising made it a race between Hudak and Wynne. Yes, a Hudak minority would have been better. The province is financially hosed, we're constantly fighting with nurses, doctors, teachers and jail guards, we're about to become the highest debt per capita province in Canada. The "most progressive budget" in our history included selling off our biggest asset. Wynne didn't bring it up a lot during the campaign but it was in there.

I'd prefer Hudak who was honest about it and was only going to sell 49% rather than Wynne selling off 60% but max 10% can be held by any entity. What kind of fairlyland school trustee bullshit is that? The 60% share holders can just talk to each other and agree to do what they want. It's retarded. Hudak was going to trim the public sector via attrition and spare nurses. Wynne is trimming the public sector via attrition and sparing teachers. We have almost nothing to show for 10s of billions in green energy subsidies and tripled electricity rates.

Hudak and Horwath both ran horrible campaigns but when you look at the policy they've stood up for, I think they would have been better leaders.

So presumably people didn't vote for privatizing public assets or "trimming" the public sector by way of under staffing the the public service. Of course that's what's happening now, but presumably they were sorta 50/50 going on campaign promises vs actual history.

We had the ONDP who voted down a budget that had all the good and none of the bad, then ran on some ponderous bullshit that didn't add up, with nebulous efficiencies to fill the gaps. The OPC who promised to gut everything they could and sell the rest minus 1%. Or the OLP who were at the time basically promising their previous budget, with similar bs about looking for efficiencies, but no stated intention of enacting specific recommendations from the Drummond report.

I'm not trying to be an rear end here, but what was supposed to happen?

I voted ONDP, because my MPP is great, but it wasn't based on the ONDP platform. We were handed a poo poo sandwich of an election and asked to pick out the peanuts, and we failed.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

THC posted:

Renting on a nurse's income is extremely affordable in that area. And you get a union.

Problem is that most nurses are female, and have a tendency to get married, and have kids. Then, the question becomes where can they afford to live with a family. The answer to that question is "not in Vancouver" and "not in an apartment", so we end up with no enough nurses.

Mandibular Fiasco fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 13, 2016

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 26, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

James Baud posted:

As opposed to if most nurses were men who have zero involvement whatsoever in the whole marriage / impregnation / child-rearing thing?

The real trick here is "nurses can get a job anywhere at all where both people and a hospital are", and can also easily work in the US on a TN. Why work and live in the 'couv unless you have family there? Even with family around, Surrey Memorial would like you just as badly and is probably a way shorter commute from somewhere both nice and relatively affordable.

Yeah, but but, GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD!

How dare you suggest it isn't? Do you want house prices to go down or something?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

http://m.embassynews.ca/news/2016/01/13/harper-government-subsidized-ex-australian-pms-trip-for-conservative-conference/48082

Oh, okay.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

$5,000 on a three night hotel stay :stare:

Also I'm pretty sure any conservative former prime minister of an Anglosphere country has more than enough money to do whatever they want.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Trudeau's vacation is looking pretty reasonable now, isn't it?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

was this posted last week?

It's so weird/creepy at parts I think. Blatchford has finally lost it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

PT6A posted:

Trudeau's vacation is looking pretty reasonable now, isn't it?

B--b-but LIBS GOTTA LIB man

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

James Baud posted:

As opposed to if most nurses were men who have zero involvement whatsoever in the whole marriage / impregnation / child-rearing thing?

The real trick here is "nurses can get a job anywhere at all where both people and a hospital are", and can also easily work in the US on a TN. Why work and live in the 'couv unless you have family there? Even with family around, Surrey Memorial would like you just as badly and is probably a way shorter commute from somewhere both nice and relatively affordable.

Don't be ridiculous. Women still do disproportionately more child care and family logistics than men. The issue is that the cost of living in Vancouver isn't conducive to raising a family, and if, given the option, a person will go elsewhere, and they do.

The 'go to the US' meme is of no value. If you have a spouse that isn't TN eligible, the spouse can't work in the United States. The working conditions are also far more precarious. Some do make the move, but they are few, and there are a constellation of factors that a person considers.

As for the rest of the metro area, there are fewer jobs and housing is just as out of reach.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Furnaceface posted:

Hes not from that far north in Ontario. Personally I like his "Hudak was up front about being a corrupt shithead that wanted to privatize everything while Wynne lying about it makes it so much worse despite the same end results!" approach. Small Business Owner LogicTM.

He's from the Ottawa general area based on my doxxing :tinfoil:

Ikantski if you go to BC you will never stop complaining about the provincial corruption there. Why can't your sister get a doc job here? My friends brother is a resident on university ave in Toronto right out of school. Specialty?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nelson isn't a horrible place to live. I grew up very close to there. If you enjoy outdoorsy poo poo and/or getting really loving high, and you can find a decent job, it's pretty much paradise. The only thing that sucks is travel is very difficult in the winter unless you drive a long distance (which is also not pleasant), due to YCG being hexed by the warlock of horrible weather at some point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Nelson is a really nice little town as far as the BC interior goes, yeah. It's heaven for ourdoorsy people.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In unrelated media news, the Chronically Horrid continues to live up to its sobriquet by planning to lock out staff before negotiations have concluded, hire scabs (including journalism students) to do the work and now making all articles anonymous, so the reader doesn't know who wrote it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Are you folk conveniently forgetting the fact that known Ronald Reagan fart-sniffer Tim Hudak lost the election the moment he opened his mouth?

And that his party had plans to send out one hundred thousand fake pink slips as ADVERTISING?

That, above all other things, killed the OPC. They instantly became unelectable for a ton of people.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

He's from the Ottawa general area based on my doxxing :tinfoil:

Ikantski if you go to BC you will never stop complaining about the provincial corruption there. Why can't your sister get a doc job here? My friends brother is a resident on university ave in Toronto right out of school. Specialty?

Hey that was you hiding behind the beehives? I don't mind Clark, she seems to have a smart conservative head on her shoulders. My sister specializes in poking people and asking if it hurts a lot from what I gather. She's into outdoorsy stuff too, did her residency in BC and has no desire to come back to Ontario, she mentioned that most of her cohort feels like Ontario is hostile and getting worse towards docs, she said nobody would consider coming back here unless there were strong family reasons. Which is mildly insulting.

The OMA and grassroots groups like this https://www.facebook.com/concernedontariodoctors seem to be getting the word out. You might say "But aren't Ontario doctors the highest paid in the country?" and I would say that they have the highest average billings yes but number doesn't include their expenses. It's a phrase that will fool voters but not junior doctors. I'm probably butchering the hell out of this explanation so here are some Ontario doctors to explain why it sucks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dr-ming-yu/ontario-cuts-doctors_b_8159258.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dr-brenna-velker/ontario-health-care-clawbacks_b_8264428.html

If you were a young doctor who just finished a 4 year bachelor, 4 years of med school and 4 years of residency, would you want to set up shop in a province that doesn't have a union or binding arbitration and that's frozen hospital budgets for 4 years, capped billings with clawbacks if you go over and slashed fees by almost 4% in 2015 and has promised to cut another 8.5 billion in spending just as the boomers are turning into seniors?

Bit of a tangent there, the tl;dr is that she probably could find work here but wouldn't even consider it.

Anyway, my parents lived in the same suburb of Toronto their entire life and want a change of scenery when they retire. They're either going to move to me or her to be close to grandkids. I can work from anywhere that has decent internet. Nelson seems nice, the people seem nice, the weather seems nice and our family all gets along and it'd be swell to be in the same town.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

Hey that was you hiding behind the beehives? I don't mind Clark, she seems to have a smart conservative head on her shoulders. My sister specializes in poking people and asking if it hurts a lot from what I gather. She's into outdoorsy stuff too, did her residency in BC and has no desire to come back to Ontario, she mentioned that most of her cohort feels like Ontario is hostile and getting worse towards docs, she said nobody would consider coming back here unless there were strong family reasons. Which is mildly insulting.

The OMA and grassroots groups like this https://www.facebook.com/concernedontariodoctors seem to be getting the word out. You might say "But aren't Ontario doctors the highest paid in the country?" and I would say that they have the highest average billings yes but number doesn't include their expenses. It's a phrase that will fool voters but not junior doctors. I'm probably butchering the hell out of this explanation so here are some Ontario doctors to explain why it sucks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dr-brenna-velker/ontario-health-care-clawbacks_b_8264428.html

If you were a young doctor who just finished a 4 year bachelor, 4 years of med school and 4 years of residency, would you want to set up shop in a province that doesn't have a union or binding arbitration and that's frozen hospital budgets for 4 years, capped billings with clawbacks if you go over and slashed fees by almost 4% in 2015 and has promised to cut another 8.5 billion in spending just as the boomers are turning into seniors?

Bit of a tangent there, the tl;dr is that she probably could find work here but wouldn't even consider it.

Anyway, my parents lived in the same suburb of Toronto their entire life and want a change of scenery when they retire. They're either going to move to me or her to be close to grandkids. I can work from anywhere that has decent internet. Nelson seems nice, the people seem nice, the weather seems nice and our family all gets along and it'd be swell to be in the same town.

The same budget austerity applies to nursing and education. Ontario is basically banking on GDP rising faster than our debt, but I'm not sure we can win this race.

I doxx from the comfort of my home tyvm sir, not behind the beehives outside in the -20c.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Lol if you think that BC's healthcare system isn't subject to union, budget, and cutback issues.

Ikantski posted:

I don't mind Clark, she seems to have a smart conservative head on her shoulders

are you loving trolling

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 13, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

All things being equal, I'd still prefer living in the Kootenays than Ontario.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Interior is home to plenty of regressive rich white conservative voters so it's not all hippies and weed there, Ikantski.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pretty sure Kelowna is now like half rich former Calgarians fleeing the weather.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Ikantski posted:

Hey that was you hiding behind the beehives? I don't mind Clark, she seems to have a smart conservative head on her shoulders.

I don't think Wynne has ever done anything quite as odious as this. Or this. Though, given that the party shares plenty of key personnel I'm sure they'll try.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty sure Kelowna is now like half rich former Calgarians fleeing the weather.
Sounds like an improvement to me.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PittTheElder posted:

Ironically, a very large percentage of Calgary is former Kelowna residents fleeing the hopeless employment situation there. And so on.

This has always been true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Doctors are underpayed all across Canada, especially specialists. But to be honest your sister sounds like an entitled baby that is upset she isnt being handed the golden loving chalice after stepping out of the door. That attitude is exactly why the public is letting lovely governments cutback our healthcare system, because all they see is people making 3-10 times their annual salary complaining that they arent being handed more. Its a lovely cycle that the government (and especially lobbyists for private healthcare) is relying on to continue to claw back on the whole healthcare system.