Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I used a split boot kit on an old Maxima I didn't give a poo poo about. After an hour of the worst kind of frustrating loving around it slid on then much to my surprise lasted three years of harsh Canadian driving. I junked the car with the boot intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

8ender posted:

I used a split boot kit on an old Maxima I didn't give a poo poo about. After an hour of the worst kind of frustrating loving around it slid on then much to my surprise lasted three years of harsh Canadian driving. I junked the car with the boot intact.

Quite the opposite of my experience then. Since I had the axle out and cleaned gluing the boot on was simple enough, but I doubt I would have been able to do it with the axle still on the car. Clearance around the axle varies greatly though, Volvo V40/S40 seems a fair bit "worse" in that respect than the Mazda 323.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nobody close had a split boot in stock anyway so gently caress it. But with the spindle off the axle I was able to get at the boot to repair it perfectly, the last time I did it with the RTV I had a hard time, so maybe the second time is the charm.

Now it's cold and rainy and I really don't want to do this. gently caress cars.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

8ender posted:

I've always had spectacular luck with split boots, but putting them on is definitely not a pleasant experience.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So my neighbor doesn't have his torque wrench anymore, but he said when he worked for a shop they just blasted axle nuts with the impact for about 30 seconds :psyduck:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Just put the breaker bar on it, and stand on it in the right spot. If you weigh 217 lbs, you'd need to stand 1 ft. from the fastener, etc.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well my impact isn't strong enough anyway, it's just a 12v cordless. It couldn't get the last strut bolts out and I had to dig out the breaker bar.

Also I weigh 160 and not good at math problems :(

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Do you know any local shops that would trust you with a torque wrench. Offer to leave your wallet or something else worth while. Or isn't there a goon near you who may have access to said tool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does the HF one go up that high?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

Well my impact isn't strong enough anyway, it's just a 12v cordless. It couldn't get the last strut bolts out and I had to dig out the breaker bar.

Also I weigh 160 and not good at math problems :(

Stand about 1' 4.2" away, then.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Can you use those torque multiplier thingies with torque wrenches? Or are they only for taking stuff off? I've never had to deal with that sort of thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SouthsideSaint posted:

Do you know any local shops that would trust you with a torque wrench. Offer to leave your wallet or something else worth while. Or isn't there a goon near you who may have access to said tool.

I'm gonna call around tomorrow. I was hoping to get it done today. Got in the struts, tie rod ends, pads and rotors. Was flushing the brake lines and ran out of fluid at about 10pm, was gonna run to walmart but said gently caress it. If i can't find a torque wrench tomorrow I'll just piss on it and light it on fire maybe that will work :v:

Rhyno posted:

Does the HF one go up that high?

That's the one I have :robble:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 4, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

Can you use those torque multiplier thingies with torque wrenches? Or are they only for taking stuff off? I've never had to deal with that sort of thing.

Don't those require some other hard mounting point (i.e. another wheelstud) to work off of?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Good luck with that patch, I hope it works, but CV boots see an incredible number of flex cycles and greasy nasty half dry rotted rubber is drat near impossible to bond successfully. You'll probably be back in there to either reboot the thing properly or replace the whole shaft.

Here's the right tool for the job, though they're expensive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEKY0uFlBpc
(the tool basically amounts to an air powered extra heavy duty speculum)

SouthsideSaint posted:

That camry is so much better looking than mine. Seriously you don't see that style in nice condition around Chicago. Also I had a customer have his HHR battery last ten years and three months. It's where there stored and the vent tubes that make the difference.

No it isn't. Storage location is irrelevant as someone noted (miata batteries fail and they're in the same spot), and the vent tube is for legal reasons, as an OEM you can't legally put a wet cell battery in a passenger compartment without the only vent tube being connected directly to an exterior port. Basically they don't want battery acid pouring into the interior in a rollover. It doesn't change the air supply/vent the battery sees at all, just runs it through a hose instead of direct to the top of the battery like standard car batteries.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Good luck with that patch, I hope it works, but CV boots see an incredible number of flex cycles and greasy nasty half dry rotted rubber is drat near impossible to bond successfully. You'll probably be back in there to either reboot the thing properly or replace the whole shaft.

The boot is actually fairly new and not dry rotted at all so that part gives me hope although I'm not holding my breath. If it fails I'll just wait for it to start making noise and probably have someone else replace it because i really don't want to do that job. I saw that video too, that thing is awesome.

I ended up buying a torque wrench from Sears and taking it back, Sears is right across the street from the parts store so I said gently caress it :v:

The car drives so much better now. The brake fluid I flushed out of it was the dirtiest, shittiest fluid I've ever seen, and two of the bleeders had blockages behind them. Took them off, shoved a pipe cleaner in there and got the poo poo out, and got some new fluid in the lines finally. The brakes work perfect now, before they were dodgy at best. Also I'm kinda glad I destroyed the rod end, because I replaced both of them and the steering feels much better now.

Taking it in for alignment and wheel balance tomorrow.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

kastein posted:

Here's the right tool for the job, though they're expensive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEKY0uFlBpc
(the tool basically amounts to an air powered extra heavy duty speculum)

Having used one of those, it's faster and easier to just replace the damned axle, plus you get a better parts kickback for selling a whole axle vs. a boot. The tool is fiddly as hell on top of it all.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

PHOTO DUMP

Here's a pic for all the rustbelt people....This car is 20 years old :v:

Rear deck has to come out to access the top bolts.

Old vs. new hotness.

New hotness installed.

Picked up a set of mudflaps at the JY and painted to look nice :allears: (they don't look this glossy dry)

FRONT

Brake work

Worked into the cold, wet night. Yes i know some lights were out, shut up.

New strut, rotor, pads, and rod end installed, this job is done. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY

And since i don't have a pic of a catte in a box, here's a kid in a box:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Holy poo poo. That reminds me of the 89 camry I just had at work yesterday. 279k on the odometer and a completely refreshed suspension and clutch. The owner drives it back to Mexico from Chicago often and it was that clean. I mean I was able to do a 4 wheel alignment on a car my age. And I never used the torch once. It really is enraging how salt kills our cars up here.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hey,

leica posted:

This car is 20 years old :v:

gently caress you.

Seriously, did you even use that PB Blaster?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've had that can for years.

I used it on the rod ends because they were a bit stubborn and I can't use the impact on those haha.

[e] I'm REALLY tempted to do a manual swap on this car and keep it for myself when my wife gets another Crown Vic. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's an automatic. It runs and drives like new now.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 8, 2016

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
How hard did you have to breathe on that hardware to get it loose? :v:

Seriously, that's amazing.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

To be fair, if the salt didn't kill our northern cars, the sliding around on the unsalted roads would.

Personally I find numerous small oil leaks to do wonders for rust prevention :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Another weekend working on shitboxes YAY!

Had to replace the valve cover gasket on the Camry, I hadn't noticed how bad it was leaking until recently. PCV system was clogged so that didn't help either. At least it looks a lot cleaner than I thought it would, was worried about sludge.

Little bit of sludge under the cover.

Cleaned that poo poo

This poo poo is the BOMB for valve cover and oil pan gaskets. Basically the Permatex version of Hylomar.

The PCV hose collapsed, so I made a new on out of a Miata vacuum hose i had laying around.

Fits perfect. Also replaced the PCV valve which was clogged and grommet that was dry rotted and broke into 20 pieces. I'm amazed there isn't any sluge in the motor

All buttoned up.

Since the valve cover went fairly quick I decided to replace the the light bulbs in the climate controls that had been burnt since i had it.

And of course the bulbs I ordered from rockauto don't fit.

So I went to Advance Auto and got what I thought looked like a match with a side by side comparison....Diameter too big. Take those back for another size with the right diameter....Too short. FUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOU now I have to wait until morning to go to the loving Toyota dealer i suppose for a goddamn light bulb. Napa maybe has it but I doubt it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 10, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

leica posted:

All buttoned up.

So that's what the heat shield once looked like. I have never seen a complete non rusted one.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

leica posted:

Another weekend working on shitboxes YAY!

Had to replace the valve cover gasket on the Camry, I hadn't noticed how bad it was leaking until recently. PCV system was clogged so that didn't help either. At least it looks a lot cleaner than I thought it would, was worried about sludge.

I remember the 3S-FE on my 89 camry had that split exhaust side cam with a tension spring in the gear. The spring broke and the cams were slapping about in there something awful, sounded like a diesel at idle. Cost $480@ the dealer in 1998 to replace that little $2 piece of metal. It ended up so much since they did the Tbelt, cam and main seals while they were in there.

E: I just remembered my buddy dubbed that car the 'whisper wagon' after it got fixed.:3:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Was it louder when the engine was cold? Because I'm getting something similar, like a rattling noise that sounds like it's coming from the valvetrain, and it's really loud when the trans is in reverse for some reason. I thought something was vibrating against something else, like metal against plastic, but it definitely sounds like it's coming from inside the engine.

Once the engine is up to temp it goes away though :confused:

[edit] Nobody had the loving light bulbs in stock, not even the dealer, so I had to put it back together until I can get some ordered, what the gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 12, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Probably off topic but why is the exhaust cam split like that? Packaging issues or is there something subtle I'm not seeing about it?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Probably off topic but why is the exhaust cam split like that? Packaging issues or is there something subtle I'm not seeing about it?

Keeps lash between the gears down. It was always rattly as poo poo until it was fixed, regardless of temperature.

E: is that engine equipped with hydraulic 'lifters'? Mine was shim under bucket.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think they're shim over.

[e] Or they could be shimless buckets, I don't think they're hydraulic.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 13, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Washed and waxed it after almost a year of not doing so. She looks purdy nice and clean, not bad for 200k miles :allears:

Finally got a chance to install the parts I ordered for the HHR months ago.

The airbox on these cars is the worst design ever, you have to remove the entire thing to take it apart and get to the air filter.

This is how it should look with an airbox off to the side or the front or something.

Gotta remove 6 screws and then split it open. The Camry airbox I can do by hand with no tools, while it's still in the engine bay :v:

Was getting a CEL for the oxy sensor so swapped that out, was in a tight loving spot and was barely able to get a wrench on it.

Then I swapped out the rear shocks that got blown out from me using it like a pickup truck :v:

Easy job, book time 2.2 seconds.

Then I replaced the end links which these cars love to eat. I got Moog this time, we'll see how long these last, they are beefier that's for sure.

Book time 3 minutes FLAT RATE RULES

Replaced the cabin filter as well which was filthy. I was able to finish everything up in about an hour and a half which I was pretty happy with, there's usually always an issue with something.....Although the oxy sensor was placed in a pita position, spent about 20 minutes to long on that :argh:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 13, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Being able to grease the moogs will guarantee a longer life. And I wish my camry looked that good. It's only at 143k and the clear coat is gone and the drivers door is rusted out along the bottom.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
http://www.theonion.com/article/toyota-recalls-1993-camry-due-fact-owners-really-s-50480

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol. These Camrys will last through the apocalypse, they're the cockroaches of cars :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn, they really shoehorned that engine in there.

And apparently the oil pan too, the oil capacity on mine (same engine) is 5 quarts. :stare:

leica posted:

The airbox on these cars is the worst design ever, you have to remove the entire thing to take it apart and get to the air filter.
This is how it should look with an airbox off to the side or the front or something.
Gotta remove 6 screws and then split it open. The Camry airbox I can do by hand with no tools, while it's still in the engine bay :v:

That's... loving stupid. :cripes: Mine is 3 or 4 metal clips. But mine's also not trying to look THAT much like a PT Cruiser.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

leica posted:

Lol. These Camrys will last through the apocalypse, they're the cockroaches of cars :v:

They really are. My MIL drives one with almost every warning light on. Thing trucks along fine. I asked about the lights and she said "Oh, I took it to the mechanic and he said it probably wasn't anything to worry about" :shrug:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

Book time 3 minutes FLAT RATE RULES

gently caress you dude :mad:

I can't even identify what kind of fastener was used to affix the endlinks to my Honda's front end.

You must be so confused when you buy a Moog part and it comes with new hardware ("but my old nuts are fine!")

edit: holy poo poo that's not a new swaybar

double edit: holy poo poo surviving factory overspray

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You must be so confused when you buy a Moog part and it comes with new hardware ("but my old nuts are fine!")

Haha pretty much, I was like I don't need these but whatever :v:

The HHR actually has some rust on it because it spent a few years in NY, the left rear bleeder screw is rusted in so i have to take care of that one of these days. Most of it is surface rust underneath, but it is like a cancer and it looks like it's still spreading, so if grandma stops driving and we get the car I may have to take care of it but it most likely will just get sold.

Also I stopped the cracking noise going over bumps with the new and links, but I'm still getting popping noises turning back and forth aggressively.....I need to get a closer look next time but I'm thinking probably the strut mounts? STR do you have the same issue with yours?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

gently caress you dude :mad:

I can't even identify what kind of fastener was used to affix the endlinks to my Honda's front end.

edit: holy poo poo that's not a new swaybar

double edit: holy poo poo surviving factory overspray

Hey, you know you rustbelt crybabies can love your four seasons all you want. Having the seasons be spring and summer is worth it for not having to deal with sockington poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

Hey, you know you rustbelt crybabies can love your four seasons all you want. Having the seasons be spring and summer is worth it for not having to deal with sockington poo poo.

It's all worth it to see the dude who just cut you off slide helplessly down a hill and spear his car in half on a jersey barrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

It's all worth it to see the dude who just cut you off slide helplessly down a hill and spear his car in half on a jersey barrier.

If you live in the pnw this happens anyways every time there is a light drizzle...

• Locked thread