Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

This timeline is exactly the same except David Bowie is dead, hope that movie was worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Erebus posted:

This timeline is exactly the same except David Bowie is dead, hope that movie was worth it

Ruining mankind for a last-minute viewing of An Erotic Tale of Ms. Dracula .

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Just wanted to quote this to say holy poo poo the rest of the world gets much better stuff then the U.S.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enigmahfc posted:

Just wanted to quote this to say holy poo poo the rest of the world gets much better stuff then the U.S.

Indeed.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hahaha hell yeah

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm looking for ghost movies. The big huge list of Netflix categories includes Gerard Depardieu, but not ghost, paranormal, spooky.

I want something similar to:
- Ghost Story
- The Woman In Black

etc.

Help me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Watching Happy Valley (the Penn State doc) right now and holy poo poo. The college kid with the Paterno portrait is the worst.

(I also only realized about halfway through what the logo on his shirt was)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

enigmahfc posted:

They don't, not really. Typically when Netflix rolls out a new region, they'll get a few new-release choice picks and drop them in that region to go "Hey foreigners, isn't our content amazing?!", and then after that maybe once a year they'll do the same just to keep you interested. Other than that though it's usually just a stream of crap you've never even heard of.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They don't, not really. Typically when Netflix rolls out a new region, they'll get a few new-release choice picks and drop them in that region to go "Hey foreigners, isn't our content amazing?!", and then after that maybe once a year they'll do the same just to keep you interested. Other than that though it's usually just a stream of crap you've never even heard of.

I guess it's just because all the regions are lumped together with Smartflix is why the selection looks better; i'm just used to Netflix having very little in the way of actual movies I want to watch (and that selection is dwindling every month, it seems). I'm fine with their TV show selection, I just sometimes want to watch a new-ish movie every once in a while.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

computer parts posted:

Watching Happy Valley (the Penn State doc) right now and holy poo poo. The college kid with the Paterno portrait is the worst.

(I also only realized about halfway through what the logo on his shirt was)

He is the worst. But then at the end it's like poo poo man, nothing really changes and they just have a new "King" to worship now.

gently caress football lmao

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Smartflix is like the jackass-genie of film choices. If something is not from an Anglophone country, it's basically a coin toss whether it'll have English subtitles. The Raid? Hope you know German! Akira? Hope you know French! Ringu? Better be fluent in Japanese or you're hosed because it's only on Netflix Japan!

e: gently caress me they even have the 2h 21min version of Casshern, but it has no subtitles whatsoever.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Doesn't that... make sense?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Erebus posted:

It makes sense, but that doesn't make it any less irritating, without the option to filter Smartflix down to English-speaking countries.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Erebus posted:

Yes and no. Like it or not, English is the de facto lingua franca of the world circa 2016. All movies in any region should have English subs imo; assuming that the only people in Japan who watch Netflix are fluent in Japanese and pretending that tourists and business travellers don't exist is rather short-sighted and ethnocentric.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 13, 2016

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

regulargonzalez posted:

Yes and no. Like it or not, English is the de facto lingua franca of the world circa 2016. All movies in any region should have English subs imo; assuming that the only people in Japan who watch Netflix are fluent in Japanese and pretending that tourists and business travellers don't exist is rather short-sighted and ethnocentric.

Not having my language available everywhere is super ethnocentric, you guys.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

regulargonzalez posted:

lol

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish the horrible cable companies hadn't hosed with streaming services and we could get shows/movies on netflix indefinitely instead of having weird time limits or partial runs of shows.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

regulargonzalez posted:

Man at least I'm admitting that it's not an entirely realistic goal.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

So the other night I watched Sicario (loved it, unfortunatley not streaming free on anything) and last night I watched Cartel Land (not streaming, also awesome) and tonight I'm going to watch Narco Cultura which is streaming on Netflix.

Any recommendations for similar stuff, documentaries or movies? I loved Narcos but already watched it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

So the other night I watched Sicario (loved it, unfortunatley not streaming free on anything) and last night I watched Cartel Land (not streaming, also awesome) and tonight I'm going to watch Narco Cultura which is streaming on Netflix.

Any recommendations for similar stuff, documentaries or movies? I loved Narcos but already watched it

El Sicario, Room 164 is a feature length interview with a supposed cartel hit man. Pretty interesting.

Heli is an outstanding, grueling drug war drama made in Mexico, but unfortunately still hasn't seen US release despite winning the Best Director award at Cannes a few years back.

Narco Cultura is great, but a rough watch. Be prepared.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Thanks. Cartel Land was pretty rough as far as shots of heads sans bodies, bodies hanging from bridges, and some rough descriptions of poo poo that goes down so I guess sadly I'm pretty prepared. Crazy stuff, I'll try to get my hands on Heli and I'll check out El Sicario.

Any more suggestions are welcome

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Try The Two Escobars. It's about soccer mostly but half of it is about Pablo Escobar. It's one of the best 30 for 30s.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

God drat. Narco Cultura. gently caress.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I feel like it's going to get to a point where nobody even remembers this movie, but Miss Bala.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
This seems like as good a time as any to recommend everyone watch Galaxy Quest again. By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
World of Tomorrow went up on Netflix today. I didn't love it as much as It's Such A Beautiful Day but it's short and definitely worth a watch.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

fishtobaskets posted:

This seems like as good a time as any to recommend everyone watch Galaxy Quest again. By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged.

drat, just watched this for the first time in years yesterday too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Everyone watch World of Tomorrow.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Ugh...
https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/evolving-proxy-detection-as-a-global-service

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

It was fun while it lasted.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel like it's going to get to a point where nobody even remembers this movie, but Miss Bala.

Adding it to the list! Thanks!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

In unrelated news, Netflix profits are down as 82% of all users cancelled their accounts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bet the amount of people that use that is pretty minuscule in the long run.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I foresee this hurting Netflix about as much as the PS3 dropping Linux support hurt Sony.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My parents wouldn't even be able to read that message and understand what the hell its talking about. They probably are more representative of the typical user than anyone in here.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, it's not like there's an ENTIRE REST OF THE WORLD using Netflix with poo poo content libraries and using a simply program would unlock everything else.

I swear a read an article not that long ago that was saying a really large chunk of Netflix users were using some sort of DNS/VPN fuckery to get around region restrictions

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

regulargonzalez posted:

lmao this post is unbelievable

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Allyn posted:

Well I was hoping someone might know in case it would kick me out & leave me having seen 2/3 of a relatively obscure film with no way to finish watching it :shobon: But yeah I went ahead, risked it, and it let me watch to the end even though it's now past midnight & can no longer be found in the search, so that's good to know!
It's kinda like an xbox downloadable game. They remove it from the listings but you can still watch it if you had hold of it the right way - which in this case is have it open and about to play, or already playing. I'd bet that they have a system in place to leave the actual content up for at least 24-48 hours after removing it from the viewers' lists (probably a week, if it was my guess, in case of weird legal back and forth that might get something put right back up immediately,) as well.

magnificent7 posted:

I'm looking for ghost movies. The big huge list of Netflix categories includes Gerard Depardieu, but not ghost, paranormal, spooky.

I want something similar to:
- Ghost Story
- The Woman In Black

etc.

Help me.
Stir of Echoes. I dunno what service it's on, but one of my all time faves.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

While the title is stupid as hell, I really enjoyed Scrotal Recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

coyo7e posted:

It's kinda like an xbox downloadable game. They remove it from the listings but you can still watch it if you had hold of it the right way - which in this case is have it open and about to play, or already playing. I'd bet that they have a system in place to leave the actual content up for at least 24-48 hours after removing it from the viewers' lists (probably a week, if it was my guess, in case of weird legal back and forth that might get something put right back up immediately,) as well.

Stir of Echoes. I dunno what service it's on, but one of my all time faves.

I was scrolling through Netflix the other day and saw that there is apparently a Stir of Echoes 2, about a guy who comes back from Iraq and sees a ghost. I almost want to watch it because it feels like there might be some interesting stuff under the hood but holy moly it looks bad.