Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Silk continues to be the best Spider-Man comic on shelves. (Yes, I mean Spider-Man) Bendis and Pichelli gonna have their work cut out to compete with it.
The gag with Cindy's internal captions blocking out Pete's argument with her was great, and a fantastic illustration of her conflict aversion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Semi-related: But Secret Wars finally finished today and in it they explain why Miles' mom is back.

It's pretty great.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gaz-L posted:

Silk continues to be the best Spider-Man comic on shelves. (Yes, I mean Spider-Man) Bendis and Pichelli gonna have their work cut out to compete with it.
The gag with Cindy's internal captions blocking out Pete's argument with her was great, and a fantastic illustration of her conflict aversion

I really like the book but Tana Ford's art is really off putting to me. What happened TO Stacey Lee?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Don't Ford and Lee switch off the art duties for Silk? I seem to remember it going back and forth.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Castomira posted:

Don't Ford and Lee switch off the art duties for Silk? I seem to remember it going back and forth.

Just checked and Lee did the first ssue of the post Secret War and Ford did 2 and 3.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
Yeah, but Ford did the last issue of vol. 1, sooooo... I don't know. I agree that Lee's better for Silk though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Semi-related: But Secret Wars finally finished today and in it they explain why Miles' mom is back.

It's pretty great.

Respect the pocket burger.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's pretty great.

For the record the explanation is "Miles had a cheeseburger in his pocket."

It is vastly more awesome than that makes it sound.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I appreciate that in modern Marvel comics, they are willing to engage in situations that can be adequately summarized as follows:

"The child's mother was brought back to life because he gave a spoiled cheeseburger to an insane god."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When does Miles' new series launch, anyway?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In 3 weeks. As for the best Spider books right now I'd rank them

Amazing Spider-Man
Web Warriors
Venom Space Knight
Spidey
Spider-Woman
Silk (the art in the last two issues dropped this one down for me)
Spider-Man 2099

Those are the ones I'm reading. I finally dropped Spider-Gwen as I just couldn't get into it. And I never picked up Carnage because it's Carnage. Between Spidey and Silk I think Robbie Thompson might be my favorite Spider family writer right now. Spidey is like the spiritual successor to the Marvel Age/Adventures Spider-Man books. It's just fun one-offs that are kind of in continuity but not really. I'm really liking that book. And Nick Bradshaw's art is really nice, his Sandman in issue 2 is fantastic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I appreciate that in modern Marvel comics, they are willing to engage in situations that can be adequately summarized as follows:

"The child's mother was brought back to life because he gave a spoiled cheeseburger to an insane god."

Its only a little spoiled. it spent most of those 8 years in cryostasis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Amazing Spider-Man
Web Warriors
Venom Space Knight
Spidey
Spider-Woman
Spider-Man 2099

Those are the ones I'm reading. I finally dropped Spider-Gwen as I just couldn't get into it. And I never picked up Carnage because it's Carnage. Between Spidey and Silk I think Robbie Thompson might be my favorite Spider family writer right now. Spidey is like the spiritual successor to the Marvel Age/Adventures Spider-Man books. It's just fun one-offs that are kind of in continuity but not really. I'm really liking that book. And Nick Bradshaw's art is really nice, his Sandman in issue 2 is fantastic.

I'm just not feeling Venom but I think it's the art. Get Ollverti off the book and it'll probably work for me.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

X-O posted:

Amazing Spider-Man
Web Warriors
Venom Space Knight
Spidey
Spider-Woman
Spider-Man 2099

I really want to like Web Warriors and I really enjoy the idea of an Exiles-like team of spider heroes, but man am I getting tired of Captain Spider-Britain just screaming at everybody to shut up and locking down the fun.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

X-O posted:

Spidey is like the spiritual successor to the Marvel Age/Adventures Spider-Man books.

Oh man I wish those had continued. I kept wondering what the heck was going to happen next with Spidey and Chat and her cool owl and all that. But if you say they're essentially in the same vein, I'm going to have to check Spidey out.

Edit: Know where I can buy an electronic copy? Just searching for Spidey online doesn't net me many results.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Comixology of course.

https://www.comixology.com/Spidey-2015/comics-series/59429

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Thanks a bundle, and from what I've read so far it really is good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Carnage has been cool, mainly because it's been Carnage fighting a werewolf while Eddie Brock cries about them not letting him turn into Toxin.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Spider(Fly) Effect was also good. This Robbie Thompson fella is pretty good at writing Spider-folks. (Although the opening scene doesn't make it clear if it's meant to fit into the current Silk arc or if it's just a reuse of very similar dialogue)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Did Secret Wars ever explain what Peter saw after the Miles/Peter crossover all those years back in Spider-Men?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RealFoxy posted:

Did Secret Wars ever explain what Peter saw after the Miles/Peter crossover all those years back in Spider-Men?

No, Bendis said he'll cover it eventually but with Miles in the 616 now it changes the dynamic.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

No, Bendis said he'll cover it eventually but with Miles in the 616 now it changes the dynamic.

I thought he said he was going to cover it in Ultimate End? And then...didn't.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought he said he was going to cover it in Ultimate End? And then...didn't.

He didn't say when, but that he would.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

I am pretty sure he said that the first storyline in Spider-man is a sequel to Spider-men.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Codependent Poster posted:

Don't hold your breath.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Don't hold your breath.

Or based off what he said just wait till next week

quote:

Spider-Man writer Brian Michael Bendis entrenched this idea further during an interview with Marvel.com, calling Spider-Man a “sequel” to his 2012 series, Spider-Men. In Spider-Men, Peter Parker traveled to the Ultimate Universe for team-up adventure with Miles Morale. “[T]he thing I get asked about every day, is a sequel to Spider-Men, the [series] we did a couple of years ago where Peter Parker met Miles. Consider the first year of this book the sequel to that series,” Bendis said.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, the solicits for some of the later issues of Web Warriors keep mentioning 'casualties' of Electroverse (the current storyline) and Mayday is consistently not shown on covers. Gee, I wonder who's going to die next?

Also, they literally ask on the letters page for people to write in with the obscure Spider-Men they want to see killed off. Okay, it's for them to show up in later issues, but they do outright state that probably means they're going to die. That's really going to get people engaged, to see their favourite characters show up to die! :downs:

I like how they say 'it might be the only chance to see them in action again!' like them showing up as wallpaper or cannon fodder is somehow a good thing.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 17, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, the solicits for some of the later issues of Web Warriors keep mentioning 'casualties' of Electroverse (the current storyline) and Mayday is consistently not shown on covers. Gee, I wonder who's going to die next?

Also, they literally ask on the letters page for people to write in with the obscure Spider-Men they want to see killed off. Okay, it's for them to show up in later issues, but they do outright state that probably means they're going to die. That's really going to get people engaged, to see their favourite characters show up to die! :downs:

I like how they say 'it might be the only chance to see them in action again!' like them showing up as wallpaper or cannon fodder is somehow a good thing.

Wait seriously Web Warriors is continuing the stupid-rear end Spiderverse "kill all the random Spider-people" thing? I thought it was a goofy crossover book.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

Wait seriously Web Warriors is continuing the stupid-rear end Spiderverse "kill all the random Spider-people" thing? I thought it was a goofy crossover book.

It's not. So far no one's died.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

It's not. So far no one's died.
Well, this is exactly what the letters page says:

So nobody has died yet, but they seem to be rather strongly hinting that casualties are coming.

Which is a shame, I kind of liked it up to this point.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 17, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Web Warriors is like a better Exiles. If they don't kill off and rotate cast then what is even the point?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Web Warriors is like a better Exiles. If they don't kill off and rotate cast then what is even the point?

Is there any particular reason they can't rotate the characters without killing them?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

Is there any particular reason they can't rotate the characters without killing them?

Well that would be silly!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ImpAtom posted:

I mean in several cases they do presumably have homes & families (& of course, responsibilities) to go home to, so they're really only sticking around becauseotherwise there'd be no team.

I think (and hope) if and when they write Mayday out of the book they'll just let her go home. But I wouldn't be surprised if when they start killing characters she's the first to go because that'd be the most controversial (of the characters they actually *can* kill off).

Also the difference with Exiles is that they largely weren't characters we grew attatched to in other books - I think the vast majority of Exiles made their debut in that book, and we grew attached to them because we'd been following it. Those deaths weren't stunts for sales from outraged fans of a cancelled book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Exiles also eventually ran into the danger with that Suicide Squad style hook... eventually the audience is going to get very attached to characters and either be mad they die, or the creators will be tempted to bring back the fan faves. (I think Exiles itself brought Blink back like 4 times?)

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

I can't believe they'd kill off Mayday when Anya hasn't done a single notable thing since before Secret Wars.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Castomira posted:

I can't believe they'd kill off Mayday when Anya hasn't done a single notable thing since before Secret Wars.

I'm not sure many people would even notice Anya's death, while Mayday's still got a small yet focal fanbase that would react and thus draw attention/buy the book.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's crap, it seems rather vindictive against a character who has been supported by a small but dedicated fanbase for so long. Although I bet Defalco doesn't care since this isn't the "real" Mayday anyway in his opinion.

They probably won't get the chance to kill off many other spider people. The book is already selling 25,407 copies with issue 3. It is not long for this world.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tato posted:

That's crap, it seems rather vindictive against a character who has been supported by a small but dedicated fanbase for so long. Although I bet Defalco doesn't care since this isn't the "real" Mayday anyway in his opinion.

They probably won't get the chance to kill off many other spider people. The book is already selling 25,407 copies with issue 3. It is not long for this world.

I wouldn't be surprised if shifting to 'kill 'em all' mode is a desperate attempt to try and extend the book's natural life. Same way Slott treated her in Spider-Verse - which is pretty unfair to the guy who gave him his first job at Marvel, to poo poo on a book he poured his heart & soul into.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yvonmukluk has a victim complex and no one has even died yet.

• Locked thread