Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Ammanas posted:

Don't feel sorry for saint Louis. It's a racist hellhole and deserves all the suffering it gets :HOTTAKE:

Also I doubt the chargers go anywhere

What, and I should feel happy for LA? LA is a hellhole with good PR. And if you're going to call St. Louis racist...you don't know the beginning with LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

No stadium in the NFL should be built with public money.

The league is richer than some countries' GDP, they should pay every penny for it.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Top Hats Monthly posted:

LA is a hellhole with good PR.

Thank you.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Kroenke couldn't care less, sadly

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I spent the worst year of my adult life in Saint Louis

gently caress Saint Louis

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Reporter: “Lots of Raiders fans will be happy you’re staying.”

Davis: “Where?”

Reporter: “In Oakland”

Davis: “Are we?”

Jesus Mark, your dad liked to gently caress with people but that's just cold

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
I hope San Diego continues to (whether purposefully or accidentally) call Spanos' bluff. I don't believe Spanos was seriously considering moving until the last year or so when they tried to get the Carson joint stadium proposal going. Who knew getting a cooperative (them and Oakland) billion dollar project approved takes longer than a year! There is no way Spanos is building his own stadium so he needs to get a partner or find a locale stupid enough to give him one. If San Diego continues to hold strong the Chargers will be in Qualcomm for at least two more years.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I hope the stadium is really bad. Reading all the poo poo about Santa Clara stadium is good entertainment in itself.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
N:

Intruder posted:

Reporter: “Lots of Raiders fans will be happy you’re staying.”

Davis: “Where?”

Reporter: “In Oakland”

Davis: “Are we?”

Jesus Mark, your dad liked to gently caress with people but that's just cold

V: Mark Davis loving owns

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nail Rat posted:

More than twice as long, actually.

I agree with you on Oakland standing firm. Public financing for billionaires to make more money from stadiums needs to end. The stadiums do not provide economic benefit anywhere on par with the tax money given. People will go to bars or restaurants either way, they're not going to save money. This is America and we will just piss all our money away some way, somehow.

gently caress this. it's not fair to have one of the shittiest teams with the brokest owner with the shittiest stadium suddenly be the guinea pig for forcing through a deal in a city who's politicians offer jack poo poo. these negotiations have gone on way too long as it is. if oakland won't pay, oakland won't have football.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Why should Oakland's politicians offer them anything? Pro sports do not actually offer an economic benefit(every single reputable study shows that they do not), and Oakland is not a rich city. Mark Davis is a very rich guy worth over half a billion dollars, despite being the "brokest" owner.

Cities give owners plenty in terms of a television market and legions of idiots like you and me willing to pay a hundred dollars for a jersey, eighty dollars for a bad seat, seven dollars for a hot dog and ten dollars for a lovely beer.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 13, 2016

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
Ya Oakland owes them nothing. It's not their fault that Mark Davis' only alternative was a last minute joint stadium plan in a county where someone else was already much further along. Maybe he should have planned better for this scenario.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not saying Oakland should pay. I'm saying if they don't want to pay, and they don't, then gently caress em. Somebody else will. Mark is broke enough that he cannot build a stadium in Oakland without selling ownership of the team, and 100 million ain't gonna cover the difference. Minnesota offered $500 million, and St Louis offered $400m. There's cities out there that aren't just going to stamp their feet stubbornly. The Raiders are the last team in the league in position to go flirting with cities that bring nothing to the table.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
How's he going to pay the $550 million relocation fee without selling the team?

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
Well either somebody else wouldn't or Mark Davis didn't properly consider all available alternatives. It's either a called bluff brought about by a lack of leverage or poor leadership by Davis and Spanos. Either way it's hilarious and the local governments in both cities have to be laughing their asses off at how poorly Davis and Spanos have handled this.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Metapod posted:

N:

V: Mark Davis loving owns

Over the past day my feelings about the Raiders have gone from respect but dislike to respect and Mark Davis is my favorite owner.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nail Rat posted:

How's he going to pay the $550 million relocation fee without selling the team?

It's entirely possible they'll waive it, especially if they're going to a profitable market like St Louis.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OldHansMoleman posted:

Well either somebody else wouldn't or Mark Davis didn't properly consider all available alternatives. It's either a called bluff brought about by a lack of leverage or poor leadership by Davis and Spanos. Either way it's hilarious and the local governments in both cities have to be laughing their asses off at how poorly Davis and Spanos have handled this.

How do you figure? What, they should have left for San Antonio or something while LA was still on the table?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Frackie Robinson posted:

Why would anybody build an enclosed stadium in Los Angeles?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/5/6915381/49ers-stadium-empty-chiefs-levis-stadium-heatwave

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Wait Mark Davis is the guy who drives 200 miles to get his haircut, right?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I went through about 7 pages and didn't see this mentioned...What happens with the St. Louis PSLs? Is there going to be a lawsuit over it? They're the first team to move in the PSL era and from a brief article I read, the language seemed to indicate the PSL was tied to the team and not necessarily the stadium they are playing in.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Top Hats Monthly posted:

What, and I should feel happy for LA? LA is a hellhole with good PR. And if you're going to call St. Louis racist...you don't know the beginning with LA.

Yeah if we're going to use Racism for why cities shouldn't have teams, no one should have any sports teams

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The Coliseum isn't actually that bad if you just want to watch a game, it just doesn't provide Mark Davis (or the NFL) with value. I'm not sympathetic.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

computer parts posted:

It's entirely possible they'll waive it, especially if they're going to a profitable market like St Louis.

Uhh, isn't the problem that St Louis isn't a profitable market?

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

The Rams made money here just not as much as they think they could in LA with a multi billion dollar complex that hosts Superbowls.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Bip Roberts posted:

just not as profitable as LA

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

and Rapids and apparently a Lacrosse team

Mel Mudkiper posted:

that must be what it is like to be a billionaire, you wake up one morning after a bender and discover you now own a loving Lacrosse team lol

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Imagine Stan Kroenke in the owners box at the high school field his loving Lacrosse team plays in

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Do you think Stan Kroenke walks into a meeting and discovers its to discuss his Lacrosse team and he straight up doesn't remember he owns a Lacrosse team

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, "Mr. Kroenke, here are the latest numbers on the Mammoths"

"What the gently caress are the Mammoths"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Stan Kroenke still owns a Lacrosse team lol

broooooo calm down

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself

Volkerball posted:

How do you figure? What, they should have left for San Antonio or something while LA was still on the table?

What I'm getting at is that San Antonio (a joke I know) was never on the table. They only had their half-baked Carson option after trying to strong arm their respective hometowns. If there was a San Antonio out there somewhere they should have found it or moved on Carson more seriously if their plan at home was to create a PR nightmare. The best available alternatives to their hometowns were not well thought out. If someone else will pay why didn't they find them and seriously move forward with that alternative? Betting everything on bluffing your hometown is poor business.

It seems obvious that Davis and Spanos bet the farm on their respective cities caving and Carson was only seriously considered at the last minute while a clearly better competing proposal was already further along in the area. Where we are now is either a result of the teams overestimating the leverage they had, poor planning, or both. Presently, why would Oakland or San Diego provide any public money to these owners when their best alternative, which seemed half baked in my opinion, is gone.

The Carson stadium was only on the table if Davis and Spanos believed the NFL would allow three teams to move to Los Angeles since the Inglewood proposal was obviously superior. The teams did not own the land until May 2015, there are still issues with the site being a former landfill, no finance plan has been worked out, neither team had a plan of where they would play while it was being built, cooperating with two owners to build a joint stadium is harder than one owner building a stadium, and if one team backed out the stadium would be dead. This is in contrast to Kroenke already owning the land in Inglewood, having no partner, putting up the money, and ready to break ground at the end of 2015. At no point was the NFL going to approve Carson and not Inglewood. Again, Carson was only on the table if Davis and Spanos thought LA was a three team city and even with approval many of the details had yet to be worked out. I'm not saying Carson would not have been built but there was a chance it could still fall apart even with NFL approval.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Spoeank posted:

broooooo calm down

no

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The State of Missouri should just buy the Chargers, finance a stadium for them, create a publicly elected Board of Regents to oversee the "ownership" of the team, and basically make all of my dreams come true.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The State of Missouri should just buy the Chargers, finance a stadium for them, create a publicly elected Board of Regents to oversee the "ownership" of the team, and basically make all of my dreams come true.

I always thought sports teams should be publicly owned

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Mel Mudkiper posted:

State and local politics would become even more hilarious.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OldHansMoleman posted:

What I'm getting at is that San Antonio (a joke I know) was never on the table. They only had their half-baked Carson option after trying to strong arm their respective hometowns. If there was a San Antonio out there somewhere they should have found it or moved on Carson more seriously if their plan at home was to create a PR nightmare. The best available alternatives to their hometowns were not well thought out. If someone else will pay why didn't they find them and seriously move forward with that alternative? Betting everything on bluffing your hometown is poor business.

It seems obvious that Davis and Spanos bet the farm on their respective cities caving and Carson was only seriously considered at the last minute while a clearly better competing proposal was already further along in the area. Where we are now is either a result of the teams overestimating the leverage they had, poor planning, or both. Presently, why would Oakland or San Diego provide any public money to these owners when their best alternative, which seemed half baked in my opinion, is gone.

The Carson stadium was only on the table if Davis and Spanos believed the NFL would allow three teams to move to Los Angeles since the Inglewood proposal was obviously superior. The teams did not own the land until May 2015, there are still issues with the site being a former landfill, no finance plan has been worked out, neither team had a plan of where they would play while it was being built, cooperating with two owners to build a joint stadium is harder than one owner building a stadium, and if one team backed out the stadium would be dead. This is in contrast to Kroenke already owning the land in Inglewood, having no partner, putting up the money, and ready to break ground at the end of 2015. At no point was the NFL going to approve Carson and not Inglewood. Again, Carson was only on the table if Davis and Spanos thought LA was a three team city and even with approval many of the details had yet to be worked out. I'm not saying Carson would not have been built but there was a chance it could still fall apart even with NFL approval.

I don't think the intention was to bluff Oakland, since Davis basically said gently caress Oakland publicly. There's no PR in the world that would make Oakland feasible, and nothing the Raiders have done says to me they were trying to get Oakland to break. They tried to make Carson work, and they had a solid plan, and got a lot of votes. Why hurry up and get to work on San Antonio or something until after the LA situation was finished? And you're forgetting that Kroenke is universally hated, and the Raiders and Chargers had a legal deal, which meant if the NFL wanted two teams in LA, Carson was going to be the priority. The first vote was Carson at like 18 votes, and Inglewood at 20, and they had to change around things about 800 times to get Inglewood to pass, so I really think you're handwaving away a lot of other factors. Now that LA is over with, Mark is making it pretty clear that they have no interest in Oakland right from the get-go, and are preparing to move.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

This morning, when I heard the news, I fell to my knees and thanked God that the Packers do not have an owner, and that the team cannot be moved from Green Bay without triggering the dissolution of the franchise and the disbursement of any profits from the sale of the team to the local VFW.

Nobody wants your crappy team with its silly cheese heads and ice bowls and trophies named after former coaches!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

State and local politics would become even more hilarious.

We can either hire a few more police officers or re-sign Drew Brees

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bip Roberts posted:

It might be less profitable than LA, but it's more profitable than not having it and splitting the Bay Area market.

I think San Antonio might be the best bet right now though.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

March 29th should be interesting

Grittybeard posted:

Mother fucker was having a brand new stadium built just for him and he moved anyway.

That's worse than Kroenke, Jesus.

I've heard plenty of nightmare stories about Finley, this doesn't surprise me

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Bro the LAPD will gently caress you up whether you're white brown or bright green. They just happen to spend more time in the brown areas. They're equal-opportunity hate-fuckers

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Bip Roberts posted:

St Louis is not the most profitable market and they didn't fulfill their part of the bargain that was struck when the Rams moved there (the stadium has to be upgraded to be among the top 25% stadiums at all time), so Kroenke made full use of this opportunity and started the Inglewood project.

The Chargers/Raiders were probably happy to negotiate another 2-3 years with their respective host cities before really starting the clock on moving to LA and were not ready when they noticed that Kroenke would be ready for the relocate vote at the end of the 2015 season. This forced their hand and that's also why the Carson project was not as far along as the Inglewood one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

:getin:

• Locked thread