Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Please support my new lcg kickstarter, Android Nethitler

all runners are noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Indonesia is really good. I also like watching the board develop. I hope they fixed the map ambiguities in the reprint.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Defenestration posted:

Hello, I would like to discuss Agricola and strategy therein because no one wants to play with me anymore :saddowns:

I love Agricola so much you guys.

Please do, I love Agricola chat. I just bought the Belgium deck and the Netherlands deck, all I need now is the France deck and I will have a complete set. I didn't realize the deck expansions came in their own little adorable boxes, everything about Agricola is high class.

Defenestration posted:

ok one thing I love doing is buying a cheap fireplace and then batch slaughtering 8 sheep right before the first harvest. And I love playing Starting Player round 11 so that I get dibs on that sweet Family Growth without room in your house or Plow and Sow, whichever comes up.

my friends who won't play say it is because the game is unbalanced but we removed all the worst cards from the deck (like ratcatcher). Now they have no excuse, they're just bad. They play too many occupations.

There are no unbalanced cards in Agricola :colbert:

It's like Nethack, every hand is winnable, you just need to understand how to play it properly. Most people just can't handle it.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 13, 2016

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Rutibex posted:

It's like Nethack, every hand is winnable, you just need to understand how to play it properly. Most people just can't handle it.

it is technically speaking possible to get a turn-1 unavoidable death in nethack from an out of depth trap right next to the stairs.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

andrew smash posted:

it is technically speaking possible to get a turn-1 unavoidable death in nethack from an out of depth trap right next to the stairs.

Hardly unavoidable. You could have stepped a different direction.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I played Fury of Dracula for the second time tonight and we've yet to finish playing a full session and some of my friends aren't really sure of a strategy to defeat Dracula. Cause we have one friend who insists that you need to get all 4 hunters together to kill Dracula in combat and that since after the 3rd week Dracula gets points for for placing every city card he can just travel around the edges of the map and head out to sea if he gets cornered or attacked and I don't think that's a good idea since that's a quick way to just whittle down Dracula's health.

So tonight, I (Dracula) started off in Galway, the Monday turn was the hunters just staying in their starting cities gathering items, Dracula turn I moved to Dublin. Tuesday the Hunters spent in their starting locations gathering supplies again except for Mina who moved to Le Harve, Dracula Phase I moves into The Irish Sea. Wednesday they finally start moving around, with Mina heading into England. So instead of going England like I had planned I head into the North Sea, they realize I started in Ireland and pursue me to Hamburg where I landed from The North Sea. After moving around Germany for a bit I get to Prague where Lord Goldarming catches up with me but the player who insisted that they all needed to fight Dracula together convinces another player to play an event card he got that canceled combat between me and him. So than since on one else could join on my movement phase I bugged out of Prague in Wolf form going to Zagreb, and played a Dracula even card that let me take another movement turn and pushed further into the Balkans and they lost my trail not gaining it till I had traveled all way to Romania than Greece and I think their big fault was not fighting me when I got caught in Prague.

So what do you guys think and are their any good videos/write ups of strategies for The Hunters or Dracula?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I'm not a wizard at it, but some observations for the Hunters:

1. Don't neglect your powers, especially Mina's. It effectively allows you to chase Drac away from whole countries, so use it extensively.
2. Avoid feeding Drac too many events - yes, it's tempting to supply at night, but you can only hold three things and you're not exactly in a rush to get anywhere specific early in the game.
3. Finding Drac's trail is important, but so is heading him off. You're not trying to chase him down, you're trying to tighten a noose. Predict his movements and try to be where he wants to be.
4. If you haven't picked up the trail in a while, don't underestimate the value of doubling back or changing strategies. Sometimes you have to cut your losses, and for Drac, following a hunter until you can give them a one on one beatdown can be a gamebreaker.
5. Drac at sea is drac not scoring points or hurting people. Shut down ports, push him out. If you know he's at sea, make him go the long way.
6. 2 on 1 is slightly in the Hunter's favour. 3 on 1 is bad news for Drac. 4 on 1 and Drac will be lucky to last a round.
7. Notice that Mina is weaker than the others? Use her as bait. The best traps offer a glimmer of hope to the prey, because then you can predict their movement.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

True story, everything I read about Indonesia gives me a boner.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Ok, so let's talk about Puzzle Strike. It's no longer cool to say that Dominion is the only good deck builder out there because eminent domain and its expansions exist and Valley of the Kings and apparently legendary aliens wasn't complete garbage. But Puzzle Strike is amazing, and has stayed a highly competitive deck builder with a fighting game twist that hasn't been replicated elsewhere. I'm going to put it in terms this thread understands: It's like the end-game part of Mage Knight when you're fighting Volkare mixed with the quickness of Kemet. You can play 3 games of Puzzle Strike 1v1 in the time it takes to play Kemet once (so you can play like 9 games of Puzzle Strike in one Mage Knight session), and with 4 it takes roughly the same time as Kemet or shorter.

What Makes Puzzle Strike Good:
David Sirlin, noted self-aggrandizing dick, brings a lot of baggage to his games. I'm not going to defend the dude who thinks he's God's Gift to Games. But he brings some insight with him from fighting games that makes Puzzle Strike, in my eyes, his best game.

1. Asymmetry
I don't normally care a lot about asymmetric gameplay in my euros. I don't need powers or individualized factions or whatever to have a good time in, say, Agricola or Vinhos. But the assymetric gameplay of Puzzle Strike serves the game well. The amount of chips that can be on board, plus the amount of different match-ups there are, make it so that each game is its own puzzle, regardless of what human player you are facing. Puzzle Strike works off of the Dominion base by giving each player a bunch of 1-money chips and then some other, non-money chips. Unlike Dominion, however, these chips are individualized to each character and form the core of their strategy. You can play as fast-burning Jaina, who starts with a very powerful double crash gem that also has the side effect of causing her to take two wounds; economic master Setsuki, who can manipulate the chips she buys from the market with abilities that let her play chips twice and trash them in order to have a high-powered, lean deck; and as defensive Argagarg, who can protect himself from opponents' negative chips while gradually wearing them down through his own aggressive bought chips.

The expansion characters add further wrinkles, including more esoteric powers that are less obvious than those in the starter set. They aren't required and actually shouldn't be used by people who are still learning, but they can do things pick out chips for opponents to discard, upgrade their own chips over time, and remove bank chips (this game's version of the Kingdom cards in Dominion.) The match-ups in this game rival those of other high-end fighting games like Guilty Gear or SFIV - they are deep, require practice to win, and are satisfying to play over and over again.

2. Deep Decisions

You make your own luck in Puzzle Strike, and this is where I feel like the game far outshines Sirlin's other well-known title, Yomi. Sirlin's Yomi suffers from a central flaw: if your opponents does not know what they are doing, you cannot effectively play against them. Yomi requires that players calculate odds in order for there to be any reasonable output in the game. On the other hand, building your deck poorly in Puzzle Strike simply guarantees your loss. Even beyond the basic deckbuilder concepts of putting your deck together so that the pieces combo well and counting the cards in your deck and discard, there are further questions. On any given turn when you buy something, you are going to have to weigh it against other options. All characters need to buy purple "crash gems" in order to stay alive. If they do not, their opponent will crash more gems at them than they will be able to handle and they will lose. On the other hand, combine chips make players lose money when they are used, so using a bunch in a row can stymie your further growth. Plus, buying a chip right after you reshuffle your bag is worse than buying it right before, because you'll have to wait a long time to get that chip.

Buying the right thing at the right time is critical, and there are no obvious choices. Everything has a trade-off. Buying a powerful 4-cost chip now means that you delay buying a combine, which could let your opponent get an edge on your in terms of gems sent.

3. Risk vs. Reward
You are always choosing whether or not to push your luck in Puzzle Strike without relying on something as crass as an actual push-your-luck mechanic. If you choose to let gems accumulate in your pile you can draw more chips on your turn, which makes your character more powerful. By saving gem chips on one turn with actions that let you save chips in your hand from round-to-round, you can purchase bigger, better chips on your next turn. Sometimes, you can let the pressure off a little by crashing a one or two-gem at your opponent while they have a three or four-gem in their pile. It's all about your ability to track your odds. And if the odds are stacked against you, it's because you did something wrong.

Steam Version:
The Steam version of Puzzle Strike is imperfect. It uses the music from Yomi in a shocking display of cheapness. It feels like a flash game. It tends to register my mouse button presses as two fast presses unless I hold the button down. But it is by far the best way to get into the game because of the AI players and the ability to find people to play with online. For less than the basic physical game you get all released bank chips and half of the character, which is more than you'd get if you actually bought the base set physically.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 13, 2016

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The End posted:

I'm not a wizard at it, but some observations for the Hunters:

1. Don't neglect your powers, especially Mina's. It effectively allows you to chase Drac away from whole countries, so use it extensively.
2. Avoid feeding Drac too many events - yes, it's tempting to supply at night, but you can only hold three things and you're not exactly in a rush to get anywhere specific early in the game.
3. Finding Drac's trail is important, but so is heading him off. You're not trying to chase him down, you're trying to tighten a noose. Predict his movements and try to be where he wants to be.
4. If you haven't picked up the trail in a while, don't underestimate the value of doubling back or changing strategies. Sometimes you have to cut your losses, and for Drac, following a hunter until you can give them a one on one beatdown can be a gamebreaker.
5. Drac at sea is drac not scoring points or hurting people. Shut down ports, push him out. If you know he's at sea, make him go the long way.
6. 2 on 1 is slightly in the Hunter's favour. 3 on 1 is bad news for Drac. 4 on 1 and Drac will be lucky to last a round.
7. Notice that Mina is weaker than the others? Use her as bait. The best traps offer a glimmer of hope to the prey, because then you can predict their movement.

That's very useful thank you, I shared this with my friends and one of them did have this to say.

quote:

All those points are fine but how do u tighten the noose? How do you close off ports? How do you engage Drac with 2 3 or 4 players? These are the questions.

Not to put the onus on you, these are open questions, but I feel like these are questions that can only be asked in each individual game based on how card draws and Dracula's movement can go.

I should mention that we're veteran Whitechapel players and that I don't have a single hideout I'm trying to return to instead of just meandering around Europe trying to cause chaos I think is messing with their thinking

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 13, 2016

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I wanted to mention something about all the Codenames chat. When's the last time anyone (let alone so many) posted about high-fiving over a great play / great teamwork? It's all the time in Codenames.

Teamwork as a thing is kinda underrepresented in board games.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Impermanent posted:

Ok, so let's talk about Puzzle Strike.

I'm still lovely at David Sirlin because I have Puzzle Strike 2nd Edition, and he drastically changed the characters' unique chips in 3rd edition, and I ain't buying his drat game again.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Kemet. Any issues when playing two or three player game that I should know about?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Indolent Bastard posted:

Kemet. Any issues when playing two or three player game that I should know about?

Three players is fine. Not as nice as four or five because it often ends with each player dominating just one color, but perfectly playable. Do not play two player Kemet.

Do not play two player Kemet.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

I'm still lovely at David Sirlin because I have Puzzle Strike 2nd Edition, and he drastically changed the characters' unique chips in 3rd edition, and I ain't buying his drat game again.

There is an upgrade pack, but it's still $25 when I just checked

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

There is an upgrade pack, but it's still $25 when I just checked

And the digital version is $15.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Defenestration posted:

Hello, I would like to discuss Agricola and strategy therein because no one wants to play with me anymore :saddowns:

I love Agricola so much you guys.

You should move to NC, there's a group of people here who host an event where they play Agricola all day everyday for a week in preparation for the WBC's.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Madmarker posted:

You should move to NC, there's a group of people here who host an event where they play Agricola all day everyday for a week in preparation for the WBC's.

I almost came to that but was tied up over the weekend!

Are you in Greensboro?

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Impermanent posted:

Puzzle Strike is the best. A little after it came out we actually ran a Goon League, I ended up in a 45 minute Game 2 as Setsuki against Lum where I tried to win by double wounding Combine first turn so that I could try and beat them by abusing action economy. Didn't work but it was one of the more intense bouts I've played!

I should pick up Shadows sometime.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I almost came to that but was tied up over the weekend!

Are you in Greensboro?

Yeah I'm a Greensboro goon. I'm not much for the farmageddon, but I do show up at the game night every now and then.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Chomp8645 posted:

Three players is fine. Not as nice as four or five because it often ends with each player dominating just one color, but perfectly playable. Do not play two player Kemet.

Do not play two player Kemet.

I was worried that might be the case.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Woah poo poo that's an hour from where I grew up. I'll have to fly back down one year.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Impermanent posted:

Thanks for this! Going to check it out on Steam first.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Lorini posted:

I'm really looking forward to that version.

In other news, I'll have a full write up on Food Chain Magnate later this week.

Definitely interested in hearing more FCM talk. I've been playing it at least once a week for the past couple of months and I'm still finding new strategies to go for.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Madmarker posted:

Yeah I'm a Greensboro goon. I'm not much for the farmageddon, but I do show up at the game night every now and then.

Cool. I keep meaning to go to those, I'll have to make it out one of these days.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Durendal posted:

True story, everything I read about Indonesia gives me a boner.

Come play on http://www.slothninja.com/! I just made a 4-player game (ID 6406527434883072), password 'goons' if anyone's interested.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Ordered Fury of Dracula based on recommendations here, and will be getting a chance to play it on Friday. I've already watched a rules overview, and I'll be playing Dracula to save my friends on learning half of the rules. Any tips to watch for, in terms of rules or teaching, for a first game? Also, if we have 4 players, I'm imagining it isn't asking much to have one hunter run two characters?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Impermanent posted:

Agreed. I liked the game/hated the chips so much I made my own PnP with cards from the ground up (not those stupid PnP Sirlin put up.)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Impermanent posted:

Sirlin's Yomi suffers from a central flaw: if your opponents does not know what they are doing, you cannot effectively play against them.

This is absolutely my core problem with Yomi (and a shitload of other games) and I'm really happy that you worded it this way. Thank you, and I'll probably use your sentence as a ground for future design and criticism essays.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
My problem with Yomi is that it encourages card-counting in the most boring and tiresome way there is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crackbone posted:

Agreed. I liked the game/hated the chips so much I made my own PnP with cards from the ground up

So what you're saying is you bought Dominion?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Agricola talk.

I find that I like drafting ocks and minors that give me an advantage in going either baking or ranching. Eg I see a good plow and the Baker ocks in my starting hand, I'm sure as hell going baking.

There are some cards I may draft first since they are just that good like Charcol Burner or the Migrant Worker. I also make sure to get a couple minors that I can build easy and cheap so I can take advantage of the starting player space. Other cards like the bonus point ocks that give wood are also good picks, especially the ones you want to complete anyways.

Your priority should always be getting your food engine built, but also making sure you can family growth in stage 2. You can win with less workers, but it's really hard.

During mid-late game, grabbing a fire place even if you are baking is a good move since it gives you a huge flexibility when feeding, especially since ranchers will start taking the sow to get their own fields planted.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Durendal posted:

Agricola talk.

I think a lot of games in Agricola are won or lost in the draft. If you can identify a strong combo early you can close out the game. I had some combo that combined plowing and planting wheat, made it easy to get wheat, and automatically baked bread for me during harvests so I wound up with a complete food engine just after Make Family came out.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Agreed. I liked the game/hated the chips so much I made my own PnP with cards from the ground up (not those stupid PnP Sirlin put up.)

Steam does a lot of accounting for you but it seems like they're still ironing some minor bugs. Also if you are playing with noobs they're going to do something that lets them look at your hand and want to take their move back and won't be able to. So it might be useful to talk through the bank your first couple of times.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

There are some cards I may draft first since they are just that good like Charcol Burner or the Migrant Worker.

Agricola. There's some real powerhouses through the E-I-K decks, and some crazy potential combos where you do 9 things every time you "take grain" or whatever.

The game gets more balanced as you swap them out for, say, the Gamer deck. But honestly I'd rather play with the bonkers ones. For me, Agricola needs the variety of overpowered stuff bashing into each other. If you are all playing honest, balanced strategies, then I think it's not the same game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That feels very anti-euro in what a lot of people consider the quintessential euro game. I wouldn't want any game being decided by an opening hand of cards, especially not a long euro.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

That feels very anti-euro in what a lot of people consider the quintessential euro game. I wouldn't want any game being decided by an opening hand of cards, especially not a long euro.

I wouldn't have thought of Agricola as "long." Isn't it about half an hour per player? Less if people know what they're doing?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Jedit posted:

So what you're saying is you bought Dominion?

Differences between Puzzle Strike and Dominion:

- In Dominion you compete for limited points. In Puzzle Strike, you attempt to funnel negative points into your opponent(s).

- In Dominion everyone is the same at the beginning, whereas Puzzle Strike is asymmetrical.

- In Dominion players may choose not to buy at the end of their turn and have to use cards to get extra buys. In Puzzle Strike, players must buy at least one chip, but have no limit on how many they may buy.

- In Dominion extra actions allow you to play any other card. In Puzzle Strike, most extra actions are "colored" so they only work with certain types of action chips.

- In Dominion buying either money or victory cards once you can is called Big Money, and is the first good strategy discovered by players. In Puzzle Strike, this strategy is called, "losing."

- In Dominion, sharp players will be able to call the winner of games relatively quickly. In Puzzle Strike, games tend to build to a quick climax.

- lol dominion.net

Similarities:

- Both games are deckbuilders.

- Both are designed by people who have mostly disappointed in their other releases. I am willing to take this back when I eventually get to try Sirlin's new RTS card game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:twisted:
I have tricked 3 of my neighbors into playing Twilight Imperium 3 on Sunday. Four seems like it could be a decent number, as far as politics goes, but of course I am hoping to find two more players before then, if possible. None of us has actually ever played TI3, and I am the only one who is really a "boardgamer" (the rest of them will play Poker or Risk, or maybe Chess but not fancy stuff). I have got them to play Fluxx and Love Letter, but obviously this is a different prospect.

How screwed are we? I am a pretty good moderator of D&Ds, and I know the rules inside and out (from watching tutorial videos, mostly) so I should be able to keep everyone on track. TI3 is pretty good about keeping all players involved in every turn, so no one should get bored. On the other hand, the only thing I have known these folks to do for 8 hours straight is drink, so I do not know if they will have the fortitude to complete the game.We will see what happens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Impermanent posted:

- In Dominion buying either money or victory cards once you can is called Big Money, and is the first good strategy discovered by players. In Puzzle Strike, this strategy is called, "losing."

Uh, wasn't the big money equivalent (all-out purples) a top tier strategy that necessitated balance changes (the slightly-clunky +1/-1$ thing)?

Also a kinda big diference is that Dominion has about two million more different cards printed for it.