Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I lost #8 somehow so I can't reread the whole event and it's driving me nuts. The only way this issue could have been better is if it came out a month ago. I wonder what the general consensus is from people that only read the event and not his Avengers or FF run. Also great job marvel with having both the first trade and first omni of his F4 run out of print right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Only thing I'm not 100% on is why, in-universe, the Ultimate Universe got destroyed. Like, at all. I mean I get that they wanted to import Miles over, but what exactly caused the Ultimate Universe to bite the big one, if 616 got restored at the end?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The transitions of that fight changing states of being (mechs to spiritual to fighting in the loving sun) was some truly amazing art. The HC once he re-edits SW#7-8 is going to read so loving nice. I'm all in on digital but I'm definitely getting a physical copy of the whole thing.
I thought 8-9 was what will be re-edited? In any case, yeah, getting this in dead tree for sure.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Only thing I'm not 100% on is why, in-universe, the Ultimate Universe got destroyed. Like, at all. I mean I get that they wanted to import Miles over, but what exactly caused the Ultimate Universe to bite the big one, if 616 got restored at the end?
You don't need to spoiler this.

But anyway, I think it's because 616 and 1610 were the last two universes, and the F4 are from 616, so obviously it will be the focus universe. I would go so far as to say if they're building infinite universes, the Ultimate Universe is out there, but Marvel is using this as a way to stop publishing those stories because, really, they weren't selling well and it just causes confusion.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 13, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I like that in the end, the Ultimate universe was in fact a penultimate universe.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I like how the lettering for Miles changes to 616-regular in the eight months later scene.

Beautifully done. I'm quite interested in seeing the recut version.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jonathan Hickman spent years building up to a comic book event that could be solved via offering Hostess Cupcakes and Twinkies.

loving brilliant.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
okay now where the heck is my Future Foundation Adventures Across The Multiverse book Marvel

come on

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Everything still got destroyed, it's just getting fixed. 616 (or I guess 001 now) is the first piece of reality put together that the Raft survivors and any other universal refugees like Miles and Old Man Logan can exist on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

Jonathan Hickman spent years building up to a comic book event that could be solved via offering Hostess Cupcakes and Twinkies.

loving brilliant.
Whoa whoa.

I think you mean Fruit Pies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gavok posted:

loving brilliant.

Hahaha.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Gavok posted:

loving brilliant.
So, really, the whole reason Secret Wars happened is because Morlun murdered the Hostess Spider-Man.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So is avengers/new avengers getting an omnibus soon? And how will that handle Infinity, or should I just grab the Infiniti omnibus now before it gets harder to find?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Franklin is recreating the multiverse using his creativity, he probably saw Ultimate on the list and went "the same as our home but edgier?... i'll do it after the pile of cowboy dimensions."

This was just astonishing and a delight to read. I think I'll try to go ahead and read the entirety of Hickman's saga from F4 later on through Unlimited.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So if I read that right, in the all new universe the only original 616 characters are the survivors from the two rafts, anyone saved by Doom who survived Battleworld, and Doom. Everyone else was re-created by god-Reed, right?

Also, it looks like maybe only the F4 crew (less Ben and Johnny), T'Challa, Miles, Doom, and maybe a handful of others will even remember what happened?

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 13, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Owen Reece: Cool dude.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

So is avengers/new avengers getting an omnibus soon? And how will that handle Infinity, or should I just grab the Infiniti omnibus now before it gets harder to find?

*If* they do a proper mixed omni, they'll print them in reading order like they did with F4/FF.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

*If* they do a proper mixed omni, they'll print them in reading order like they did with F4/FF.

I think Marvel could easily hammer out a 2-volume A/NA/I/SW omnibus set in the correct reading order. That's all I want.

If SW just has to have its own OSHC, that would be fine, with the main omniboo set ending with Avengers 44.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There's a nice hardcover that covers the first 13 issues of his Avengers. That with 1-6 of New Avengers in the Everything Dies trade covers everything leading to the Infinity collection.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

I think Marvel could easily hammer out a 2-volume A/NA/I/SW omnibus set in the correct reading order. That's all I want.

If SW just has to have its own OSHC, that would be fine, with the main omniboo set ending with Avengers 44.

They absolutely *could*, I'm just saying it's not a certainty. I'd definitely buy it if they did.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Secret Wars #9 was great. Hickman is such a Captain Britain fan, the Black Panther/Doom fight reminded me so much of the Jaspers/Fury fight from the end of Moore and Davis' Captain Britain run and it was fun seeing Ribic draw something like that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

They absolutely *could*, I'm just saying it's not a certainty. I'd definitely buy it if they did.

Agreed on both counts.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

March can't come fast enough. Hickman and Ribic killed it. Want my oversized hardcover now.

Also would like an avenger / new Avengers omni.

And the first Hickman FF omni to go back in print so in can have it all...

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

redbackground posted:

Also: GOD MECHA FIGHT!!!

Doom was in Onslaught armor!!! :black101: That was such a satisfying ending. Giving Reed and Family a proper send off with the Future Foundation. Can someone explain to me did TChala use the Time Gem. Cause it was an 8 month skip right? Also Namor getting to gank Doom with his trident only to be atomized was awesome. EVERYTHING WAS SO drat AWESOME! I think I could put it up there with the Final Crisis ending with Monitor Judge imagining all the heroes ever to kick the crap out of the Source of Evil, and Superman Beyond 3D of how the story goes on and endures. Goddamn this poo poo was so awesome. :perfect:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That was amazing, really what a hell of a run for Hickman. Some missteps I felt and I am not happy with the outcome of some of the other books but this is seriously great series.

Prob one of the best overarching run of comics in a long time.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Jiro posted:

Can someone explain to me did TChala use the Time Gem. Cause it was an 8 month skip right?

The 8 month skip thing is a little vague and I don't really get why there is one outside of letting stuff happen off panel. He does definitely use the time gem to go back to the first incursion event, this happens way early back in the avengers/new avengers hickman run, and when he arrives since there's no incursion happening he knows everything is fixed. He might be the only person who knows exactly what happened outside of the richards and ff foundation. Who does and doesn't know exactly what happened is still vague.

The gems have been mislabeled and incorrectly colored a couple of times but the story definitely had him using the time gem there.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man that gap sucked...but man those final issues were so good. Loved the ending.

I'm now horribly lost as to whats goings on in the Marvel Universe now, because I stopped reading stuff in October due to work picking up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Everything is all new, all different. but mostly the same

What a great ending. :allears:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 13, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

SynthOrange posted:

Everything is all new, all different. but mostly the same

Comics in a nutshell

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

Comics in a nutshell

There never is a destination, it's always the journey.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think the 8 month skip is really story-related other than to give Reed, Franklin, and Molecule Man some time to get things in order. Which is to say it's just an editorial fiat. I'm curious if Doom even knows what happened, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think the 8 month skip is really story-related other than to give Reed, Franklin, and Molecule Man some time to get things in order. Which is to say it's just an editorial fiat. I'm curious if Doom even knows what happened, though.

I think the last page of him laughing hysterically indicates he knows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What a great ending. I really loved the page that was the Reed/Doom faces.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I think the last page of him laughing hysterically indicates he knows.
Oh, absolutely.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Box wine posted:

The 8 month skip thing is a little vague and I don't really get why there is one outside of letting stuff happen off panel. He does definitely use the time gem to go back to the first incursion event, this happens way early back in the avengers/new avengers hickman run, and when he arrives since there's no incursion happening he knows everything is fixed. He might be the only person who knows exactly what happened outside of the richards and ff foundation. Who does and doesn't know exactly what happened is still vague.

The gems have been mislabeled and incorrectly colored a couple of times but the story definitely had him using the time gem there.

The dialogue pushes towards the direction that he skipped the destruction and remaking of the multiverse right back into Wakanda. He already knows that the rocket was taking off alluding to the new Ultimates series. It's just weird that he would already know that if he's time traveling forward from a battle with Doom on Battleworld. Oh well, comics. Also it's really kind of annoying that there isn't an official color set for the Gems. Granted I was first introduced to what each color did in Marvel Super Heroes fighting game but still. Between the comics and the movies it messes with my brain.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Future to the past I suppose. :psyduck:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Love this whole sequence. :3:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
God drat that was a very nice ending. I got into comics with avengers and new avengers and what a ride to see that really end.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

So on what page did everyone realize that bearded Reed looks uncannily like 1960s-70s Stan Lee?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Old Man Logan isn't from 616 or 1610 is he? I think his solo book would have to mean stuff other than the original Prime Earth and Ultimate Universe survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
He's from a completely separate reality.

• Locked thread