Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFFTRDdS-Fk&t=15s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The best enemy design in Undertale is this weirdly adorable guy who looks like Fone Bone.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Flying around like some sort of superman/spiderman hybrid with the wingsuit and grappling hook in Just Cause 3 is hella fun. The game is sort of repetitive and boring IMO. But they really nailed navigation.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The best enemy design in Undertale is this weirdly adorable guy who looks like Fone Bone.

Yeah, until he gets his head eaten by butterflies

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I really love the design of the Amalgams, both for being really creepy* and for blending existing enemies together in such a way that you can immediately recognize its components and figure out how to tame it based on your encounters with its individual parts earlier.

*especially the one that was super obviously an homage to Giygas' true form from Earthbound.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Sleeveless posted:

*especially the one that was super obviously an homage to Giygas' true form from Earthbound.

Not only that, but that track in Undertale samples some of the sounds from that fight in Earthbound, including the static making up the end part. Napstablook's battle theme also uses Venus's "vocals" from Earthbound, and Papyrus has a Starman emblem on his chestplate. Dude loves Earthbound.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inco posted:

Not only that, but that track in Undertale samples some of the sounds from that fight in Earthbound, including the static making up the end part. Napstablook's battle theme also uses Venus's "vocals" from Earthbound, and Papyrus has a Starman emblem on his chestplate. Dude loves Earthbound.

Well he did make Earthbound romhacks prior to Undertale.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alteisen posted:

One of the most clever parts of one of the last bosses is adapted from something the final boss in his Earthbound hack did.

Hijacking the optimistic and hopeful game over message to taunt and laugh at you.

Refrigerapist
Dec 11, 2004
My favorite little thing Path of Exile is the random bits of exposition you stumble across out in the game world. Clicking on them starts a speech/scrolling text combo like usual in games of this sort.

But, if you walk away, the text disappears while the speech continues to play. No longer do I have to choose between exposition or game play. Seriously, I have no idea what the plot of Diablo II or WoW is because like hell I'm going to stand there while Deckard Cain or whoever prattles on for 5 minutes just to tell me "go here, kill that, see ya soon".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dude literally asks you to stay awhile and listen. :(

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Inco posted:

So much so he made his own inferior gimmick-laden version of it. At least it the final boss is cool.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Screaming Idiot posted:

So much so he made his own inferior gimmick-laden version of it. At least it the final boss is cool.

If you want to see an inferior, gimmick-laden version of Earthbound give Citizens of Earth a try.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Undertale makes fun of people who watch streams so it's OK by me.

Also that game is cool and fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fumaofthelake posted:

Undertale makes fun of people who watch streams so it's OK by me.

Also that game is cool and fun.

Not really, that line is intended to make fun of people who watch the "bad person" playthroughs of video games because of a lack of willingness to do it themselves. Which is also cool.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sleeveless posted:

If you want to see an inferior, gimmick-laden version of Earthbound give Citizens of Earth a try.

Who the gently caress thought people would want to play a middle-aged politician?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Not really, that line is intended to make fun of people who watch the "bad person" playthroughs of video games because of a lack of willingness to do it themselves. Which is also cool.

this is me re: every RPG. particularly KoTOR, Deus Ex, BioShock

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Also the game is actually fun to play and really funny.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Who the gently caress thought people would want to play a middle-aged politician?

Have you ever heard of a little game called Metal Wolf Chaos?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if I could have played as Senator Armstrong in Revengeance I would have no questions asked

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
I want to play a game as Bernie Sanders

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Dragon Quest Heroes

I've been getting some great names for my monster minions

Cementha
Jack Marrow
Cheeto
Leopold
Ralph
Bono

Also a quest to collect slime drops is called Ready for that Jelly.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Also the game is actually fun to play and really funny.

The plot was very cool and highly original. The game mechanics were novel and fun. The dialogue was hit or miss. Would've been nice if he brought on an editor to trim some of the less funny or overlong jokes and monologues.

Tardcore posted:

yes!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tardcore posted:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

if I could have played as Senator Armstrong in Revengeance I would have no questions asked

Shoulda been a DLC, since there was one for Sam and Wolf.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Alteisen posted:

I know. Sans' battle theme was originally used for the final boss in the Halloween Hack.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Literally a south park episode joke.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

This game looks like an xtranormal video

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Action Tortoise posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes

I've been getting some great names for my monster minions

Cementha
Jack Marrow
Cheeto
Leopold
Ralph
Bono

Also a quest to collect slime drops is called Ready for that Jelly.

Leopold is a name from DQ8, but the rest are spot on.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The plot was very cool and highly original. The game mechanics were novel and fun. The dialogue was hit or miss. Would've been nice if he brought on an editor to trim some of the less funny or overlong jokes and monologues.

I'm usually all for editors, and god knows a lot of other RPGs need them, but I'd say that Undertale having one would hurt it overall. Part of what makes Undertale work is that it's just one guy, making a game that he wants, warts and all. Sure, bringing an editor in would clean up some of the jokes that feel like they drag on a bit too long, but it could also lead to us losing some of the weirder personal touches that make the game what it is.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Huh yeah that is pretty good.

I think it's appropriate that a Genocide run is actually a boring slog for 85% of it.

I also like that that one boss turns the game from shmup dodging into a really challenging platforming level.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I'm usually all for editors, and god knows a lot of other RPGs need them, but I'd say that Undertale having one would hurt it overall. Part of what makes Undertale work is that it's just one guy, making a game that he wants, warts and all. Sure, bringing an editor in would clean up some of the jokes that feel like they drag on a bit too long, but it could also lead to us losing some of the weirder personal touches that make the game what it is.

Maybe not an "editor" per se, just a guy to point at some dialogue and tell Fox, "hey, uh, make this shorter." Or add break ups to the dialogue. I get kind of antsy when I walk up to a character and it makes a joke... and then keeps talking... oh look expository dialogue... that joke didn't land... okay let's wrap this up... okay now I have control of my character again. That happened with a lot of minor characters. Of course, I prefer it to the opposite case.

Really I'm just nitpicking. The game certainly has its own voice and personality which you don't find in a startling amount of indie games.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

ShootaBoy posted:

So I'm laughing way too hard at Fallout 4 right now. I just got around to doing Old Guns and holy poo poo the old general. Ahahaha lying there buried underground with bottles of amontillado.

Even more awesome thing about that:

The fort at Castle Island actually had a legend that two men had a duel, the duel loser (beloved by all) died, and the duel winner (hated by all) was tricked by his fellow soldiers into being bricked behind the fort wall. It's speculated that Poe heard the story while serving at Castle Island, and based his story off of it.

So it's not just a reference: it's a historically appropriate reference.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tardcore posted:

Democracy?

Cleretic posted:

It could, but there's no reason to assume that would happen. If the author hires an editor then the author is still in charge, the editor's basically there to offer advice.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Maybe not an "editor" per se, just a guy to point at some dialogue and tell Fox, "hey, uh, make this shorter." Or add break ups to the dialogue.
That is exactly what an editor is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Testers can do that too.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

GWBBQ posted:

I decided to try Space Station 13 again today...

Chef is another great "beginner" job. Nobody fucks with you and you have a room full of relatively harmless equipment you can tinker with in order to get a feel for how things work. Plus, if you're on a strict RP server, as long as you're cooking something, you're technically doing your job, so you won't get hassled.

First thing I do as chef is go get a bunch of alcohol from the bar and dump it into the fryer. If anyone eats a delicious snack you fry up, he or she gets fuckin' shitfaced :toot:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a new Rick & Morty phone game that's a parody of Pokemon. In it you collect various Mortys and have them fight each other. The funny thing is that they have three damage types, Rock, Paper and Scissors.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

muscles like this? posted:

There's a new Rick & Morty phone game that's a parody of Pokemon. In it you collect various Mortys and have them fight each other. The funny thing is that they have three damage types, Rock, Paper and Scissors.

Also apparently the developers intended the design of each Morty to correspond with their type (ie Mustache Morty is Scissors because of his facial hair, Biker Morty is Rock because he's tough) but they admitted it eventually kind of got out of control so in the end it only makes sense with about a third of the current roster.

mrkillboy has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Jan 16, 2016

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I really love the design of the Amalgams, both for being really creepy* and for blending existing enemies together in such a way that you can immediately recognize its components and figure out how to tame it based on your encounters with its individual parts earlier.

That's not really a "homage" when it fully rips it off in the exact same way without adding anything new to it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

That's not really a "homage" when it fully rips it off in the exact same way without adding anything new to it.

I agree, what kind of hack would just add a reference to a thing they like in a quirky RPG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

It's basically a throw-away mob in Undertale, not a focus of anything. It fits thematically with what is going on wether you know what Gygas is or not. It's a fine homage.

Somewhat related is how you can revisit all the npcs after winning a True Pacifist run like at the end of Earthbound. I always thought more games should do that.