Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

kiimo posted:

Also on the list for cities with horrible roads that nobody talks about : DC and Atlanta.

I actually really like DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The roads in DC are not too terrible (the only other city I've regularly driven in is Boston lol)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Spoeank posted:

LA is poo poo full stop. It has way too many goddamned people and way too many wrong streets to turn down.

It's only redeeming factor is it's so lovely that people don't realize how lovely most of San Francisco is, because "at least it isn't LA."

Every time I get off the Bart and go into San Francisco the immediate smell is stale urine. San Francisco is a filthy city.

(It's still a pretty great city though.)

Edit: It's like a homeless person utopia though. I have never seen so many living in Houston...it's utterly amazing.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
DC is actually really awesome, I can't think of anything bad about living here, besides the humid summers and the unreliable public transit and lack of a good food scene

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't mean like the quality of roads, I mean like confusing as hell for outsiders. Granted I drove in both without maps before smart phones.

Atlanta apparently named all of their roads Peachtree.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I wonder how Pittsburgh got both PNC Park and Heinz Field and Consol Energy center for like $900mil combined, in a city where union labor is still de rigeur, in an era where stadiums cost a billion dollars lol. It's cool when sports teams and cities actually get along

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

kiimo posted:

I don't mean like the quality of roads, I mean like confusing as hell for outsiders. Granted I drove in both without maps before smart phones.

Yeah its real hard to describe what makes Pittsburgh's roads insane unless you have driven them. The traffic map of downtown Pittsburgh is laid out like there is a Minotaur trapped inside.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah its real hard to describe what makes Pittsburgh's roads insane unless you have driven them. The traffic map of downtown Pittsburgh is laid out like there is a Minotaur trapped inside.

It's bc the topography is a literal triangle, so nothing was laid out in a normal grid pattern. Hope that's succinct enough

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, Pittsburgh's road quality isn't bad. The layout is crazy though. My favorite is the stop sign to get onto the interstate in Homestead (?). It's fun trying to make a right turn onto the interstate from a complete stop.

DC has literally the worst road quality in the country. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/25/why-driving-on-americas-roads-can-be-more-expensive-than-you-think/

tatersyum
Feb 12, 2006
gently caress the haters LA is the best and we have our own team again. The Chargers just need to come now so I can get a yearly Chiefs game here

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

kiimo posted:

I mean, I'm not trying to derail but it's one of the few places where in less than two hours you can be in like five different climate zones. I personally ski a lot, go to wine country a lot, hike a lot and camp a lot. You don't get that in KC where I'm from. It's an 8 hour drive to Chicago which is largely the same.

Almost all of Cali is like that ... Dude is right about too many people. What do you expect though it's basically the most perfect climate on earth ... Aside from the total lack of water. People are going to want to live there.

San Francisco is the most perfect example of what happens when income inequality gets out of control in America.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 13, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
What the gently caress no one cares how nice you think it is to live in your dumb city

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Houston on the other hand...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's bc the topography is a literal triangle, so nothing was laid out in a normal grid pattern. Hope that's succinct enough

Its that the city is actually on a secret bluff inside that triangle, so you get those wonderful times that you're somehow 20 feet above the road you want to be on, but there's no way to actually get down there without crossing two rivers three times.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

kiimo posted:

Houston on the other hand...

Everyone hates Houston, I don't care

So who posted the rumor that the second no vote was Mike Brown because he doesn't want the league to grow, because if revenues go up then so does the salary cap

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Houston sucks, but gently caress I love tacos and drilling for oil.

Oakland is going to sign a one year lease in the O. Co

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Mark we were supposed to travel the world.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Febreeze posted:

This also works for Portland OR, by the way

Source: I am a white person in Portland OR. Seeing a minority is like an event

We should meet up and then you can check off "Seeing a minority in Portland" off your bucket list. ;-*
Of course, if it's to watch a Pats/Giants game it may end up a mutual murder/suicide.

I laugh when I hear Portland being bandied about as a relocation spot. Yeah, you got Nike down the road in Beaverton and if the Raiders were feeling really dickish they can appropriate The Goonies, but the city's infrastructure just isn't set up to handle an NFL team. Hell, the city is barely getting by with its current housing crisis; think it's would be ok shelling out :20bux: to have the privilege of having bad traffic worsen on game days?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Intruder posted:

What the gently caress no one cares how nice you think it is to live in your dumb city

I live in a city that routinely wins best city in the world to live in :smugndar:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Copenhagen?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They should have built that stadium in City of Industry instead

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Have you ever been there?

It's super creepy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

As a wise man once said "Inglewood, Inglewood up to no good"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kiimo posted:

Have you ever been there?

It's super creepy.

Yes I drive by the proposed stadium site every couple weeks.

It would have been the worst stadium site in the world.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ha okay gotcha.

Yeah that place is like....

well here

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Android Bicyclist posted:

We should meet up and then you can check off "Seeing a minority in Portland" off your bucket list. ;-*
Of course, if it's to watch a Pats/Giants game it may end up a mutual murder/suicide.

I laugh when I hear Portland being bandied about as a relocation spot. Yeah, you got Nike down the road in Beaverton and if the Raiders were feeling really dickish they can appropriate The Goonies, but the city's infrastructure just isn't set up to handle an NFL team. Hell, the city is barely getting by with its current housing crisis; think it's would be ok shelling out :20bux: to have the privilege of having bad traffic worsen on game days?

The only people I ever hear talk about putting a pro football team in Portland are people who don't live here and are just looking at the population density and deciding it's enough people to support a team. There isn't going to be a team here, it's just not happening. There is nowhere in the city to put it because of how dense the city is packed because of the anti-sprawl laws and the housing issues you mentioned. You could probably stick it in Beaverton or one of the other suburbs if they vote for it, there's more room out there and we should always be looking for ways to make 26 more of a traffic nightmare.

But this is a city that got extremely loving mad over the possibility of putting a teeny weeny bit of fluoride in the water. We aren't voting to approve an NFL team.

I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility, and if the team really gets into the local vibe in it's marketing like the Timbers did I could maybe see it working, but for the most part I think it's just not going to happen. Nobody cares. The people here are content to root for the Seahawks and the Ducks, with Californian transplant 49er fans making up a smaller percentage and everyone else either rooting for the team they grew up with (Because we are all transplants) or not giving a poo poo about football whatsoever. During all this re-location talk nobody I've talked to here even brought up the desire for one.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 13, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Why is the NFL not considering a new stadium in Victorville or Barstow?!?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think Portland is awesome but I've never seen so many tatted up white hipsters in my life. It's like they took all the bearded skinny jeans kids from Silver Lake and got them really into Sons of Anarchy.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Here's my take on LA.

LA isn't as bad as non-Californians seem to think. I personally don't like LA because there are so many goddamn people, and if ya'll think the weather is good in LA, you haven't spent a summer there. It ain't all Malibu.

Also if your city is awesome you don't have to defend it. People from LA try way too hard to defend LA. If people say San Diego sucks I just laugh and say "haha okay"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well I think it's because people like me assumed it sucked, moved here and found out it isn't so bad and now we're arguing against our old selves as much as we are the stigma.

I have zero problem saying that San Diego is a superior city in every conceivable way you can measure that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Febreeze posted:

The only people I ever hear talk about putting a pro football team in Portland are people who don't live here and are just looking at the population density and deciding it's enough people to support a team. There isn't going to be a team here, it's just not happening. There is nowhere in the city to put it because of how dense the city is packed because of the anti-sprawl laws and the housing issues you mentioned. You could probably stick it in Beaverton or one of the other suburbs if they vote for it, there's more room out there and we should always be looking for ways to make 26 more of a traffic nightmare.

But this is a city that got extremely loving mad over the possibility of putting a teeny weeny bit of fluoride in the water. We aren't voting to approve an NFL team.

I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility, and if the team really gets into the local vibe in it's marketing like the Timbers did I could maybe see it working, but for the most part I think it's just not going to happen. Nobody cares. The people here are content to root for the Seahawks and the Ducks, with Californian transplant 49er fans making up a smaller percentage and everyone else either rooting for the team they grew up with (Because we are all transplants) or not giving a poo poo about football whatsoever. During all this re-location talk nobody I've talked to here even brought up the desire for one.

There's not even enough population density, they need like another million people in between there and Salem before it becomes viable.

My proposal is to wait until Cuba is all repaired with relations (which should be about 2019 if Raul steps down) and then start a Latin American division. You can do Havana, Puerto Rico, Mexico City and...the Bahamas. Or Haiti, or something.

kiimo posted:

I have zero problem saying that San Diego is a superior city in every conceivable way you can measure that.

San Diego was more sprawly the last time I was down there.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

Well I think it's because people like me assumed it sucked, moved here and found out it isn't so bad and now we're arguing against our old selves as much as we are the stigma.

San Diego has its own problems. Our political system is loving broken and nothing ever gets done (stadium LOL), our public transit is awful, we have a really big homeless problem downtown, etc etc

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

FCKGW posted:

Why is the NFL not considering a new stadium in Victorville or Barstow?!?

Victorville would be hilarious. Just use that old abandoned Air Force Base housing complex that's not far from the prison/jail.

computer parts posted:

There's not even enough population density, they need like another million people in between there and Salem before it becomes viable.

My proposal is to wait until Cuba is all repaired with relations (which should be about 2019 if Raul steps down) and then start a Latin American division. You can do Havana, Puerto Rico, Mexico City and...the Bahamas. Or Haiti, or something.
Let Haiti & the Dominican Republic each have teams in the same division. :stare:

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 13, 2016

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It cannot be stated enough how insane Pittsburgh's roads are.

But it seriously is one of the most beautiful cities in the loving world at night and if you disagree you haven't been there.

Coming through the tunnel at night for the first time to see the skyline is impressive as hell.

Also, St. Louis should try and get a CFL expansion team.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

GopherFlats posted:

Just move the Chargers to Coachella and have them play on the polo grounds.

As someone that grew up in Coachella, every player would literally die before the season began

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Qwijib0 posted:

Also, St. Louis should try and get a CFL expansion team.

CFL in the US crashed super hard super fast.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Many people from San Diego seem to hate LA, which I don't get. There's poo poo to hate there, but there's poo poo to hate everywhere. Austin was one of the coolest towns I've been to and also the humidity made me want to die.

Live where you want and gently caress the haters

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
At least St. Louis can take the money they were going to spend on a stadium for a billionaire and apply it to education and infrastructure.

Right guys?

Right?

:smith:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

Many people from San Diego seem to hate LA, which I don't get. There's poo poo to hate there, but there's poo poo to hate everywhere. Austin was one of the coolest towns I've been to and also the humidity made me want to die.

Live where you want and gently caress the haters

It's "Little Brother" syndrome.

When I lived in Portland, everyone hated Seattle for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

So are they going back to White/Blue or Yellow/Blue, that Gold/Navy is garbage.

• Locked thread