Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J
Jun 10, 2001

RossCo posted:

I'm approaching the point where I'm willing to go into the hyper intimidating trading system, and there is one point re: uniques that I am curious on:

Am I best buying, say, a Deaths Harp with one socket for 1 chaos and then rolling for better links and colours? Or should I wait and pay more for a better rolled unique with say 4 links straight off the bat?

Trying to get a feel of the value of different currencies and when to use them is tricky though cool.

Time is money, friend. For really common uniques, especially low level ones used for levelling up, just search poe.trade for 4 linked death's harps with buyouts. Maybe you'll see one with a price comparable to an unlinked one, if so, grab it. Other times you'll see ones that are marked up and might not be worth the expense. While you could wait around to try for a deal, you should just ultimately buy one and link it yourself if you have to and get to levelling.

To get even more specific, since you can use this process when shopping for just about any item: it looks like unlinked death's harps are 1c or less. A few are listed for 1 fusing. Really common uniques that all get listed for 1c, you could probably just offer someone 1 fusing or 1 alch orb and they would take it since they'd rather get the poo poo moved out of their stash rather than collect dust. If not there are 50+ other sellers who might. Or maybe some nice goon has one that they'd give you for free. Right now as of this post I see a 4 socket unlinked harp for 1 fusing on poe.trade, try to buy that one. Then, on average, you can expect it to take 5 fusings to 4 link using vorici as the baseline. Fusings are about 2:1 chaos, or 1.5:1 chaos. It takes on average 10 jewellers to get 4 sockets on something, again using vorici's crafting bench as the baseline. Jewellers are roughly 8:1 chaos. So, rough estimate if you bought a harp with 1 socket and had to do it all yourself you could expect it to cost 4-5 chaos grand total to buy it and link it up. If you see a 4 linked one for less than that, buy it. Then you'll have to use some chromatics to color it, so I guess I forgot that part of the cost but buying poo poo with the exact colors you want is probably not all that easy to do, so the expense will be the same no matter which way you go.

Unique items in general are super easy to price using poe.trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

Trading's really not that bad. Up right now I can see a 4l going for 1c, and a few others around 4c. 4l is doable as a mere mortal, but I wouldn't try it with ~3c worth of jewelers/fusings.

Vorici 4 socket is 10 jewelers and 4 link is 5 fusings.

About 3c to do it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What are some good 2h melee uniques to level with? I just hit level 40 and I'm running out of sashes to make into lovely weapons. I took resolute technique, if that affects my choices any.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

What are some good 2h melee uniques to level with? I just hit level 40 and I'm running out of sashes to make into lovely weapons.

Rigvald's charge has a lot damage and is pretty cheap.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Burno posted:

Vorici 4 socket is 10 jewelers and 4 link is 5 fusings.

About 3c to do it.
I haven't played in a really long time and have no idea what 'vorici' means, assuming it's one of those guys who keeps bugging me to do fetch quests and there are now guaranteed recipes instead of currency roulette? Neat!

J
Jun 10, 2001

dis astranagant posted:

What are some good 2h melee uniques to level with? I just hit level 40 and I'm running out of sashes to make into lovely weapons. I took resolute technique, if that affects my choices any.

Geofri's baptism is level 27 required but is really good and may still be an upgrade for you. After that, rigwald's charge requies level 44 but would be the next upgrade. Then there is terminus est at 51, kaom's primacy at 58.

JawnV6 posted:

I haven't played in a really long time and have no idea what 'vorici' means, assuming it's one of those guys who keeps bugging me to do fetch quests and there are now guaranteed recipes instead of currency roulette? Neat!

If you mean the npcs that spawn randomly in zones with a quest in that zone, vorici is the name of one of them. They are called "masters" and when you get one to level 3 you can create a hideout and invite them inside. Each one offers you a different crafting workbench for your hideout that modifies items in certain ways. Vorici's handles sockets, links, and colors. You put your item in the bench, and can spend 10 jewellers orbs (as an example) for a guaranteed 4 sockets on your item.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

J posted:

Storm cloud is insanely good for levelling, try that too.

All the unique bows are in the stash, you can probably borrow one at every level as you level honestly.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Shrapnel shot didn't do a whole lot for me when I was farting around with my ranger. Especially once I got lesser multiple projectiles and could tear through groups with ice shot from a good distance. Then I got lightning shot and :laffo:

I used shrapnel shot until The Harvest (Normal) It's pretty effective when most of the enemies you fight are melee, I switched to Pierce+Lightning Shot+Greater Multiple projectiles when I got to Malachi though and haven't looked back.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

gently caress Chromatic Orbs. Just burned 25 trying to get the colors I wanted on a 4 link and it's just taunting me with everything kinda close but not it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Bought this for cheap to start an elemental crit Split Arrow dude. I can craft either 15–29 to 19–34 cold damage or 8-22% WED. What would be better here?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

dis astranagant posted:

gently caress Chromatic Orbs. Just burned 25 trying to get the colors I wanted on a 4 link and it's just taunting me with everything kinda close but not it.

Did you use https://siveran.github.io/calc.html ?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

26 is the average, I gave up after about 35. Settled for attack speed instead of life on hit for ice crash

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Bought this for cheap to start an elemental crit Split Arrow dude. I can craft either 15–29 to 19–34 cold damage or 8-22% WED. What would be better here?

Use a blessed orb on that fucker. Also the WED is probably better.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Kild posted:

Use a blessed orb on that fucker. Also the WED is probably better.

Oh right, I didn't think of that. And I do feel like the WED is better unless I can get a LOT of it from other pieces, in which case the cold damage might be better? But WED on anything else like jewelry feels lke one of those "your 1c amulet just went up to 30c" stats, so I doubt I'll buy anything like that.

fake edit: One blessed orb put it at 46%. Two jorbs and one fusing made it a five link. drat, game, making up for the 300 chroms I spent trying to color my MF totem dude's 5l chest with colors that should have taken 25~.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Safari Disco Lion posted:

300 chroms I spent trying to color my MF totem dude's 5l chest with colors that should have taken 25~.

Are you sure you calculated this correctly? The odds of this happening are stupidly low.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

TheRat posted:

Are you sure you calculated this correctly? The odds of this happening are stupidly low.

135 strength armor chest, needed rrgbb. Calc says 51.7 chroms to get it, not quite the 25 I remembered but I still spent all the chromatics I had and then another 15c buying more before giving up. Best I got was rrrbg so I settled for Iron Will instead of Faster Casting. Really should have stopped earlier but I was really tired and just wanted to be done with it. :v:

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

26 is the average, I gave up after about 35. Settled for attack speed instead of life on hit for ice crash

Attack speed is almost certainly better anyway. Ice crash is a bad skill for lifegain on hit because, due to its attack speed penalty and inability to use multistrike, it generates far fewer hits than something like lightning arrow - GMP - chain (which still doesn't use LGoH anymore) or molten strike - multistrike - etc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I ended up swapping in Warlord's Mark-Blasphemy elsewhere and now I basically don't worry about life or mana unless something drastic happens. Things go a lot faster now that I can just pop my quicksilver, run around til I find some dudes, drop a giant aoe in the middle of them and repeat. Life per hit could have also been fortify but I'll just have to deal.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 13, 2016

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
What are some of the recommended defensive skill set ups for ice crash builds? I'm playing a duelist that splits Armor/evasion if that makes a difference.

Also, how are you guys supporting your Ice crash? I'm using melee damage, faster attacks, fortify, and culling strike. Any suggestions for now, and for if/when I get a 6l to work with?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call + Increased Duration + Enfeeble is one of the strongest defensive setups you can run. Phys damage will often be taken in quick spikes and IC will protect you from being insta-bursted, while Enfeeble cuts incoming damage by 20-30% while also reducing critical strike damage taken and enemy accuracy. You can also run Enduring Cry and generate endurance charges regularly, which will be consumed when IC triggers, lengthening it's duration massively. Endurance charges also give physical damage reduction and elemental resists.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Maddot_66 posted:

What are some of the recommended defensive skill set ups for ice crash builds? I'm playing a duelist that splits Armor/evasion if that makes a difference.

Also, how are you guys supporting your Ice crash? I'm using melee damage, faster attacks, fortify, and culling strike. Any suggestions for now, and for if/when I get a 6l to work with?

I assume you have RT, and going two handers or mace + shield?

I'm going crit staves so mine is a bit different than most, but I have Ice Crash + Melee Phys + Weapon Ele Damage + Increased Area of Effect + Power Charge on Crit. Sixth link would probably be Increased Critical Damage. I use heavy strike for bosses. Dream weapon is a 6 link Hegemony's Era with Ice Crash - Melee Physical Damage - Weapon Elemental Damage - Increased AoE - Increased Critical Multiplier - Fortify

For defenses I'm running determination or warlords mark aura depending on whats around. Bloodrage gets me enough life leech for now, and I have enough regen that it doesn't take any health off. Vengence + Endurance Changre on Melee Stun keeps a couple charges up almost constantly vs trash mobs.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 13, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Bugsy posted:

I'm going crit staves so mine is a bit different than most, but I have Ice Crash + Melee Phys + Weapon Ele Damage + Increased Area of Effect + Power Charge on Crit. Sixth link would probably be Increased Critical Damage. I use heavy strike for bosses. Dream weapon is a 6 link Hegemony's Era with Ice Crash - Melee Physical Damage - Weapon Elemental Damage - Increased AoE - Increased Critical Multiplier - Fortify

For defenses I'm running determination or warlords mark aura depending on whats around. Bloodrage gets me enough life leech for now, and I have enough regen that it doesn't take any health off. Vengence + Endurance Changre on Melee Stun keeps a couple charges up almost constantly vs trash mobs.

Are you running the one that was featured build a while ago? I was considering giving that one a try in the next league. Is it fun? I don't doubt the effectiveness

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

nightwisher posted:

Phys damage will often be taken in quick spikes and IC will protect you from being insta-bursted

Incidentally, we have a very recent example of the types of situations that an IC setup was made to solve.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Gibbo posted:

Are you running the one that was featured build a while ago? I was considering giving that one a try in the next league. Is it fun? I don't doubt the effectiveness

Yeah, its pretty sweet. You one shot most of the white mobs, and blue and rares die quite quickly. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1289037 is the build thread.

I'm using the HC tree as a base, but have switched some things around for a couple more jewel sockets. Way too many points but thats what I'm going for.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...aelXqVYrjQx-4s=

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!
So I'm all new to trading and for the first time I took a real look at trade chat. Ugh.
The thing I've learned though is: if I set up a shop and offer 1 white Agate amulet for 1 chance orb I get several tells every day asking me if I'm selling for any other currency because "I don't want to spend chance orbs on this"

I chuckle and snort every time. :downs:

fe: I've sold a few, too. It's a fair trade. Agates and chances both go for about 7:1c in trade chat. After the trade I wish them good luck.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

nightwisher posted:

Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call + Increased Duration + Enfeeble is one of the strongest defensive setups you can run. Phys damage will often be taken in quick spikes and IC will protect you from being insta-bursted, while Enfeeble cuts incoming damage by 20-30% while also reducing critical strike damage taken and enemy accuracy. You can also run Enduring Cry and generate endurance charges regularly, which will be consumed when IC triggers, lengthening it's duration massively. Endurance charges also give physical damage reduction and elemental resists.
would both IC and enfeeble be cast at the same time when doing that?

Bugsy posted:

No RT, using 2h swords due to the convenience of damage node locations, stacking exquisite blade intrinsic with Abyssus for extra crit damage, and socket color potential.

What about auras? Been running Hatred/ HoA for extra damage, but should I use blood magic gem for my attacks and run grace/hatred instead?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Anyone on I could message to get invited to the guild this evening? I logged off a bit for dinner but I'm playing as "NinNinNin" on SC Talisman in a bit.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

xf86enodev posted:

So I'm all new to trading and for the first time I took a real look at trade chat. Ugh.
The thing I've learned though is: if I set up a shop and offer 1 white Agate amulet for 1 chance orb I get several tells every day asking me if I'm selling for any other currency because "I don't want to spend chance orbs on this"

I chuckle and snort every time. :downs:

fe: I've sold a few, too. It's a fair trade. Agates and chances both go for about 7:1c in trade chat. After the trade I wish them good luck.

This is because everyone buying Agate Amulets is buying them to use Chance Orbs on for Voll's Devotion(in a Anarchy or Onslaught map). So they would prefer to buy them with other currency so they don't have to go buy more Chance Orbs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got permanent flicker strike going. It's insane.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

GGG posted:

Fixed an issue which resulted in frame rate drops when hovering over skill gems for the first time.

Oh my, thank you! Finally!

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
How do traps interact with temporary buffs? Do I want to have the buff up when I throw the trap, or when it gets triggered?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

JTDistortion posted:

How do traps interact with temporary buffs? Do I want to have the buff up when I throw the trap, or when it gets triggered?

When it's triggered. What form of temporary buff do you have that that's relevant to trapping and has that degree of control over it though?

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Anyone on I could message to get invited to the guild this evening? I logged off a bit for dinner but I'm playing as "NinNinNin" on SC Talisman in a bit.

Congratulations! You got the very last guild slot.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

When it's triggered. What form of temporary buff do you have that that's relevant to trapping and has that degree of control over it though?

Thanks for the help; the buff is the atziri flask. 24% of physical damage added as chaos is huge for poison bladefall.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So talismans, and getting enough tier threes to open a portal to wolfdude, just suck. Especially as a solo player.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

NecroMonster posted:

So talismans, and getting enough tier threes to open a portal to wolfdude, just suck. Especially as a solo player.

There is nothing sadder than throwing one of your huge pile of white talismans in with four blue/yellow ones and getting a white back. Someone on the official forums was advocating for no white talismans and I have to agree that they don't add much fun.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

The whole talisman system is asinine. Piles and piles of work and you get basically nothing out of it, and the talismans themselves are just a different flavor of Tempest.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I really like the talismans. A halfway decent yellow can be pretty amazingly powerful for certain builds.

I do think that they really made Rigwald too hard to get to, though, and that there should have been more talismans out the gate to make getting to him easier.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I found the portal to him but didn't realize I needed to save up the crap talismans I had up to that point, so I just skipped it for now. I take it I put in the five of a tier, open a portal to Old Tristram, and fight Rigwald the Blacksmith? Why does the rarity of the talismans matter?

The portal I found was even close to Rakanishu the False God, a lightning enchanted dude. I take it the comparisons to D2 were on purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I found the portal to him but didn't realize I needed to save up the crap talismans I had up to that point, so I just skipped it for now. I take it I put in the five of a tier, open a portal to Old Tristram, and fight Rigwald the Blacksmith? Why does the rarity of the talismans matter?

The portal I found was even close to Rakanishu the False God, a lightning enchanted dude. I take it the comparisons to D2 were on purpose?

You put 5 of the same tier to get a new talisman of the next tier, rarity dependent on the rarities you use. Put in 5 tier 3 to open the portal to fight the dude, who drops the only tier 4. The stone circles pop up randomly in various zones, though I think they are guaranteed in a few.

• Locked thread