Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Germstore posted:

There's no legit way to buy lotto tickets outside the states that participate in powerball.

Apparently some mob has gotten licenced or some poo poo to sell tickets for international lotteries. Been on the news here and everything.
Not like I'm gonna win anyway, so it doesn't really matter if my 30 bucks went to a legit thing or scammers lol :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

soy posted:

uhh your odds are nowhere close to that with 100 tickets in powerball

a single ticket is 1 in 292,000,000 so 100 tickets would be 1 in 291,999,901 or something

so that's a 0.00003390412109284395% improvement.. for $198 extra over one ticket.

It was $300 worth of tickets so that's 150 tickets.

With your fuzzy math someone would buy 100,000,000 tickets but have a 1 in 192,201,338 shot of winning!
:vince:

That's US gov't budget math / hollywood accounting.

boom boom boom posted:

I'm surprised it's not 1.6 Billion yet. It hit 1.4 two days ago and 1.5 yesterday

Lottery officials are probably pocketing the overflow at this point.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The last giant rear end Powerball we had someone in my county won it.

She is currently spending millions on bailing her boyfriend out of jail on heroin charges and is in jail today!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Real talk none of us are going to win, but what we are going to do is rob the winner. Who's in?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
:angel: You can't win if you don't play :angel:

Get your tickets early!

i must say tho, the best thing about working in a quiet office mostly full of antisocial millennial nerds/basic bitches/autisticks is no lottery pool and the annoying poo poo that it carries along. ive stopped going to the conveinence store on the way in tho because i cant even imagine how many losers and old ppl are backing up the line to get their Quick Pics and Mega Millions. if the government was smart theyd orchestrate this poo poo around the time all the tax rebate checks get sent out.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 14, 2016

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
OK I finally played the lottery for the first time in my life. I'm glad to be a part of this :patriot: experience.

Also, hahaha you can't play the lottery in anything but cash, because of course you can't

People with "good credit" and "debit cards attached to large accounts" don't play the lottery

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
It's probably a good thing they don't let ppl max out their cards on the lottery.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thursday Next posted:

OK I finally played the lottery for the first time in my life. I'm glad to be a part of this :patriot: experience.

Also, hahaha you can't play the lottery in anything but cash, because of course you can't

People with "good credit" and "debit cards attached to large accounts" don't play the lottery

Imagine if you could charge lottery tickets, that would just be too much. People would just absolutely max out everything buying them as soon as they were granted any credit at all. Probably buying scratchers.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It's probably a good thing they don't let ppl max out their cards on the lottery.

yes.

what i mean to say is: the state lottery has way more moral responsibility than Vegas. I can bet my goddamn children in Vegas.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Thursday Next posted:

Actually it's so they can't reverse the purchase when they lose.

If I win the lottery, I really don't know what I'll do. It's so much cash. I just don't know what I'd do. I really can't fathom not having money concerns since my husband's active duty military and we've moved cross-world 6 times in 10 years. :patriot:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I bought my tickets with a debit card, but I guess that's not really different from cash.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
In the perfect America you can transfer your title loan directly into the lottery.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Pawn 17 posted:

These poor scrubs thought they won Saturday, but they were mistakenly looking at numbers from last Wednesday. There is even a video of them celebrating the win.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/these-workers-mistakenly-thought-theyd-won-powerball-on-saturday-2016-01-13

God doing his job to make sure no office pool ever wins.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

If I win I am going to move to a small broken Midwest town, revitalize it and then rule it like a god-King for the rest of my days.

Doobie?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Someone's about to be the most hated person in the country.

Whenever it gets big like this, someone has to gently caress it up, though, by not letting us have a single winner. It's always 17 people who were part of a pool or 3 different people in 2 different states.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
has there ever been a documentary that shows the downfall of a jackpot winner(s) stage by stage from the initial disbelieve segueing into overwhelming euphoria all the way to alone, broke, and suicidal...kinda in the mood to watch something like that tonite

i see a few that exist but anyone know whats good?

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 14, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The winner will be part of a pool consisting of 10 people. However, the previous drawings had 12 people and they won a few bucks and flipped that around into more tickets.

Now the two people who didn't invest in this pool will sue on the basis that their contribution to the previous lower-prize winning pool were flipped into the jackpot winning pool and they are entitled to 1-8% each of the total winnings. It will drag out in court for months until a settlement is reached where someone who just wants their loving money gives them a fraction of their winnings to just get on with their lives.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

That's some real messed up revisionist history on Abe Lincoln.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

JediTalentAgent posted:

This always to tyrants

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

JediTalentAgent posted:

at least he would have avoided the batshit butterball

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Zogo posted:

Lottery officials are probably pocketing the overflow at this point.

When it gets this huge, what they should do is start funneling it off into a separate jackpot at the $1B mark. People are still going to play for only $1B, BUT once that is won, you've instantly got another ongoing jackpot of of maybe $300-$500M which could easily climb back up to $1B within a few weeks from the momentum.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

If I win the Powerball, everyone will get all of the SA upgrades. And new profile pics.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JediTalentAgent posted:

When it gets this huge, what they should do is start funneling it off into a separate jackpot at the $1B mark. People are still going to play for only $1B, BUT once that is won, you've instantly got another ongoing jackpot of of maybe $300-$500M which could easily climb back up to $1B within a few weeks from the momentum.

I like the idea of the cash payout getting higher than 1 billion after tax. Just imagine opening your bank account and it has a billion dollars in it. Would your bank just explode? I know how FDIC insurance works but can you even have that much in an account? loving god drat.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
surprised the GOP hasnt used the issue of how much taxes are deducted from winnings as a parable to teach the lower classes about the plight of the job creator

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mariana Horchata posted:

surprised the GOP hasnt used the issue of how much taxes are deducted from winnings as a parable to teach the lower classes about the plight of the job creator

doesn't fit in 120 characters and can't be spelled with emojis so nobody cares

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I would create jobs. They would all be stripper jobs. But they would be jobs.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

soy posted:

I like the idea of the cash payout getting higher than 1 billion after tax. Just imagine opening your bank account and it has a billion dollars in it. Would your bank just explode? I know how FDIC insurance works but can you even have that much in an account? loving god drat.

A bank failing with your $1B will be like a real world version of when Rockstar resets your GTA Online account when they think its full of money from some exploited money hack.

You didn't work for the money, you got it really easily, and *poof* it's all gone.

edit: At least I still have my cars and apartment.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Canned Panda posted:

If I win the Powerball, everyone will get all of the SA upgrades. And new profile pics.

Buy SA and you can do that for free.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

FDIC only covers $250,000 per account. But that's per bank, and per type of account. You could easily get a few million insured by spreading it across multiple banks and accounts. You probably wouldn't put the vast majority of the money in a bank though.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Germstore posted:

FDIC only covers $250,000 per account. But that's per bank, and per type of account. You could easily get a few million insured by spreading it across multiple banks and accounts. You probably wouldn't put the vast majority of the money in a bank though.

I am assuming they give you a huge fuckoff check and you gotta put that somewhere before sending it to your investment accounts or whatever.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
lol if you have to give a conference talk about how you plan to invest it in ISIS or Trump.

A philibuster would be good too. Cause Im guessing someone has to cover your speech no matter how long you go So just rant on and on about poo poo for like hours.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
"Well the first thing I am going to do is tithe my congregation, the Westoboro Baptist Church; I haven't thought too far ahead beyond that though"

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I'd talk about how I'm going to tour the worlds most haunted places trying to gently caress a ghost. Then go into great detail how I theorize you would have consensual sex with a ghost.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Germstore posted:

However, from the FDIC webpage, there is this: https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/brochures/your_insured_deposits-english.html

You have to split it between several different banks (and not branches of the same bank) and under multiple types of ownership categories to maximize your protection.

I guess you'd also have to run the risk of future bank mergers that might end up consolidating your insurance coverage to a fraction of itself, too.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

JediTalentAgent posted:

However, from the FDIC webpage, there is this: https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/brochures/your_insured_deposits-english.html

You have to split it between several different banks (and not branches of the same bank) and under multiple types of ownership categories to maximize your protection.

I guess you'd also have to run the risk of future bank mergers that might end up consolidating your insurance coverage to a fraction of itself, too.

buy the banks prevent the mergers!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

soy posted:

growing dicks out of my eyeballs (that last one might own)

if it happens pm me

Microwaves Mom posted:

lol if you have to give a conference talk about how you plan to invest it in ISIS or Trump.

A philibuster would be good too. Cause Im guessing someone has to cover your speech no matter how long you go So just rant on and on about poo poo for like hours.

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 14, 2016

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I don't remember who posted it earlier, but dropping $1m each into a varied collection of foreign banks/currencies is so drat smart long term.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'd start my own lotto

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
No I'd buy and build new toll roads, and let people drive on them for free for like 10 years to get people to depend on them, the jack up the rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to win and then retire to an island somewhere drinking fruity drinks and getting real mad about how the poors are loving this country

• Locked thread