Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Zaodai posted:

Why small pulses over mediums? Or is it just so you can swap the ER Meds it would carry by default to pulse smalls for the same tonnage? You'd also get some weight back stripping the jump jets out, I guess. I'm sure it'd be viable in some configuration.

CERMLs also have one of the worst damage to heat ratios in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

I saw a Panther-10P yesterday with two LBX-2's and nothing else.

LBX-2's on a Panther, you say?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Beraiye posted:

CERMLs also have one of the worst damage to heat ratios in the game.

Nah, I mean why would you take small pulses over medium (or large, I guess) pulses, especially on a 100 ton assault.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zaodai posted:

Why small pulses over mediums? Or is it just so you can swap the ER Meds it would carry by default to pulse smalls for the same tonnage? You'd also get some weight back stripping the jump jets out, I guess. I'm sure it'd be viable in some configuration.

I figure if you're playing it like an Atlas, you're not going to be shooting at anything over 300 meters anyway, plus CSPLs have half a CMPL's heat and slightly less duration. Works better in a brawl because you can twist away faster

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 13, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Devorum posted:

The tiniest shotgun mech.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pattonesque posted:

I figure if you're playing it like an Atlas, you're not going to be shooting at anything over 300 meters anyway, plus CSPLs have half a CERMPL's heat and slightly less duration. Works better in a brawl because you can twist away faster

I keep falling into old habits of fewer, stronger weapons being better than more numerous weaker weapons, and that optimal range is a big deal even though lasers can shoot out to twice the distance shown. It'd probably be cheap to test either way and find which was more fun to play.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

teepo posted:

literally right before they did their little tournament, a group of nine goons ran into the same 228 squad featured in the video on mining collective. they literally did the same exact poo poo in this video, where the blackjacks and quickdraws were smartly positioned so each and every one of them had line of sight on our death ball engulfing us with lasers from literally every single possible direction. once a few of our mechs dropped and our armor was stripped, a swarm of arctic cheetahs charged in and picked us apart. it was a complete stomp and well deserved.

their high level of coordination and high play resulted in the most epic fail cascade i have ever witnessed, with our group of nine quickly dwindling down to only four. the only other witness to this i remember was phroashi, who didn't quit like a bitch.

What's lost in this story is that it's ultimately a squad of people who live and breathe this stupid game vs. goon groups which have a varying amount of experience and degrees to which they care about doing this stuff.

The deathball strat is preferred because it's simple and works the majority of the time. Newbies can do it easily, and it's just enough coordination to win without being overbearing to people who couldn't give less of a poo poo about a high degree of coordination.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Oh Snapple! posted:

What's lost in this story is that it's ultimately a squad of people who live and breathe this stupid game vs. goon groups which have a varying amount of experience and degrees to which they care about doing this stuff.

The deathball strat is preferred because it's simple and works the majority of the time. Newbies can do it easily, and it's just enough coordination to win without being overbearing to people who couldn't give less of a poo poo about a high degree of coordination.

Coordinated groups of sniping garbage is boring

I don't mind if we run 12 god hand novas though

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

Coordinated groups of sniping garbage is boring

I don't mind if we run 12 god hand novas though

Also this, yeah.

A lot of us find sniping pretty boring and unsatisfying and recoil in disgust at the idea of doing in en mass even if we might individually have mechs set up to do it. Watching that video and I'm just like "that is not something I ever want to be a part of."

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
yelling FOLLOW DAD is much easier than trying to position a bunch of people.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Oh Snapple! posted:

i'm not advocating for goons to play this way at all. this video was to illustrate the point me, patton and a few others were trying to make that having a few mechs utilizing a support roll can be just as effective if not more so than having one gigantic deathball

i just wish goons, and at least one of the graduates from the school of modpod, would understand that deathballing/brawling is equivalent to utilizing a zerg rush in the bronze league. it'll work a good majority of the time until you play a platinum player in your next placement match and you're left wondering what exactly went wrong. just because it works a good majority of the time doesn't make it the dominant strategy.

fact is, this game now caters to many different play styles and that is why the game is loving awesome again. goons should be able to bring whatever the hell they want, as long as they're coordinating well with the team. if you don't like how somebody isn't necessarily joining the brawl, the problem is more likely you then them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Also this, yeah.

A lot of us find sniping pretty boring and unsatisfying and recoil in disgust at the idea of doing in en mass even if we might individually have mechs set up to do it. Watching that video and I'm just like "that is not something I ever want to be a part of."

Yeah I feel you. Brawling is for me much more fun

I think there's room for people to play to their strengths though. Snipey folks can support brawly folks and vice versa

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah I feel you. Brawling is for me much more fun

I think there's room for people to play to their strengths though. Snipey folks can support brawly folks and vice versa

this. i'm in a brawler a good majority of the time anyways.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Got my first 1k+ damage game in my MAD-5D, using 4x MPLas and 2x SRM4+A. In Viridian Bog. Just me and a smoking HBK-GI. 2 dudes are holed up on top of a plateau that I can't JJ up onto. So the HBK and I wait it out under the cliff edge and wait. 20 seconds left, they decide it's now or never and drop down in front of me. I core out the first guy, and the other jets. It was a great match - I should probably run Shadowplay....

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Pattonesque posted:

I really want the Kodiak, but the other thing is that I think it has maximum two missile slots.

so you'd be brawling with one CUAC/20, two CSRM6as, and a bunch of small pulse lasers

it might run a bit too hot. still I'd like to try it (if it had some structure quirks maybe)

I want some 130 meter leaps and going 70kph in 100 tons of bearfuckyou.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I'm considering getting back into this after hearing that it's finally good again, are any of my CHIVERS™ boys still playing

Say "perhaps" to robots.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Devorum posted:

DO NOT SUMMON "SLANG" IN HERE PLEASE.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

teepo posted:

i'm not advocating for goons to play this way at all. this video was to illustrate the point me, patton and a few others were trying to make that having a few mechs utilizing a support roll can be just as effective if not more so than having one gigantic deathball

i just wish goons, and at least one of the graduates from the school of modpod, would understand that deathballing/brawling is equivalent to utilizing a zerg rush in the bronze league. it'll work a good majority of the time until you play a platinum player in your next placement match and you're left wondering what exactly went wrong. just because it works a good majority of the time doesn't make it the dominant strategy.

fact is, this game now caters to many different play styles and that is why the game is loving awesome again. goons should be able to bring whatever the hell they want, as long as they're coordinating well with the team. if you don't like how somebody isn't necessarily joining the brawl, the problem is more likely you then them.

Goons definitely can bring what they want

No one likes hearing about why being a pansy nerd scrublord is optimal though and why goony retard stuff is the best is both bad

Just strap your dumb autistic nerd self in your tonnage and have fun IMO

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I'm considering getting back into this after hearing that it's finally good again, are any of my CHIVERS™ boys still playing

I'm kinda in CHIVERS, so yes?

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
It's a game, so the primary goal should be to have a loving great time doing ridiculous poo poo with goons.

Everyone in an urby with two ghost dads? yes please.

Pick trial shadowcats and everyone jet up onto that mesa and pick the enemy team to death? gently caress yes.

Always, only ever run special snowflake builds because gently caress cookie-cutter? great!

Who the gently caress cares just pick a mech, call some primaries and say gg when your greater-than-zero coordination wins the day. If you lose, queue up again, stop crying.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Herb Dington posted:

It's a game, so the primary goal should be to have a loving great time doing ridiculous poo poo with goons.

Everyone in an urby with two ghost dads? yes please.

Pick trial shadowcats and everyone jet up onto that mesa and pick the enemy team to death? gently caress yes.

Always, only ever run special snowflake builds because gently caress cookie-cutter? great!

Who the gently caress cares just pick a mech, call some primaries and say gg when your greater-than-zero coordination wins the day. If you lose, queue up again, stop crying.

If you want to sperg we can get some cw going

Quick matches should be 12 children running around trying things imo

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

teepo posted:

Have some :words::

Winning is generally more fun and rewarding than losing. Try to win but don't drag out losses. If you're going to lose, get it over with so you can get into the next match and do better. (See: izov burning his legs out when he's the last one alive, rather than running around)
Damage that kills a mech is more valuable than damage that didn't contribute to them dying. (In other words, shoot CT).
Damage early is more valuable to winning than damage later.
Never engage in a stand off fair fight. Engage when you have local superiority, don't engage at a disadvantage or even numbers unless you have to. Two mechs ganging up on one mech will take less damage in the process than they would going at it one at a time. However, fighting an even fight now is better than fighting an uneven fight in twenty seconds.
Always focus fire. Fewer dead mechs now are better than many wounded mechs.
Your HP is a resource you can and should expend intelligently for the benefit of the team. Having two wounded mechs is always going to be better than one fresh mech and one dead mech. - This is why people bitch about snipers not getting involved in brawls.
As a corollary to the above, don't waste your HP unnecessarily with bad peek and poke trades.
Look at your loving map. If the brawl hasn't started yet but half their team is turned around because a light just shot someone in the butt, it's probably a good time to go in or at least shoot them while half their team is distracted and unable to shoot back.
When it's time to go in, loving go in.
You don't beat a firing line by peeking and poking. You beat a firing line by generating local superiority. If four of you can shoot one of them while only one of them is shooting back, that's local superiority, even at 700m.
Try to always do more than 300 damage a round. If you're using a LRM boat or a streakcrow or some other mech that does not concentrate damage effectively, the bar is higher. If you're playing a light and you're shooting butts and turning half their team around, the bar is lower. In other words, be useful to your team.
Never go to the loving citadel.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
speaking of the Shadow Cat, PGI is working on buffing it and the summoner (without adding hardpoints)

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/687354170366558208

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
i've come into my own as a scout, got the second most damage in the entire game I just played and had a heroic last stand that lasted a good three minutes or so, killed two guys during that alone. amen

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The Summoner desperately needs structure quirks to make up for lovely hitboxes. Maybe the MASC change will help out the shadow cat and the executioner, but it'd have to be pretty big.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

What are some good Locust builds besides the LPL 1V? I have the ones that came with the Overlord pack.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

klapman posted:

i've come into my own as a scout, got the second most damage in the entire game I just played and had a heroic last stand that lasted a good three minutes or so, killed two guys during that alone. amen

Light (and light medium, e.g. Cicada) play in MWO is fantastic.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

speaking of the Shadow Cat, PGI is working on buffing it and the summoner (without adding hardpoints)

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/687354170366558208

Meanwhile the ice ferret is still a horrible and bad mech

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Elliotw2 posted:

Sure, I need another Cicada to sit next to my lovely PPC sniper and my mediocre hex pattern one.

Cicada's are great, if you run the ECM one with two ER LL you can harass the enemy team to death and pump out decent damage consistently

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

okay I am finally ready to be added by goons if possible I should be JackTheRipper21 I usually drive IS lights or mediums, I don't think I have a single heavy or assault anymore

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
What's the difference between the 2 goon units? I'm slowly getting the hang of this game.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

sebmojo posted:

Light (and light medium, e.g. Cicada) play in MWO is fantastic.

Yeah, i've heard this game is bad but as a Light bot it's just hilarious. It kicks rear end to lead like three medium/heavies on a wild goose chase while the rest of my team takes advantage. My favorite thing, though, is getting 8x map selection and singlehandedly picking a lovely, lovely map.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Banana Man posted:

What's the difference between the 2 goon units? I'm slowly getting the hang of this game.

One drops Clan (GIRL) and the other drops IS (WoL) in Community Warfare, which dictates what mechs you can use in that mode. I think WoL is more active on that front.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Coolwhoami posted:

Meanwhile the ice ferret is still a horrible and bad mech

Lots of mechs will forever be poo poo because the niche that they performed doesn't exist and will never exist in MWO

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
To be fair, the Ice Ferret wasn't a particularly good mech in tabletop.

vvv ?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 14, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

To be fair, the Ice Ferret wasn't a particularly good mech in tabletop.

lol

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Banana Man posted:

WoL are autistic rage spergs. GIRL are troons needing an outlet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Did someone just mention modpod in a positive light and no one batted and eyelash?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Internet Explorer posted:

Did someone just mention modpod in a positive light and no one batted and eyelash?

He's a sexy guy, what of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So I guess I'm finally feeling out the glass cannon gameplay of the Direwolf; I just had my second 900 damage game of the day in it. The Direwolf taught me that if your match score is high enough your player rating can increase even if your team loses :v: The sheer loving hurt you can lay on things is indescribable, and people do some hilarious poo poo when they can't get away from you. In my last game I had a Kit Fox be so busy dodging a teammate he backed into a corner for cover, turned the other way to escape, and there I was. I could just see him go "welp :(" and decide to meet his fate with dignity. Holy hell do you need to loving COMMIT in this mech though. Not only are you too slow to change your mind, you also need to be facing the enemy essentially 100% of the time, while having what feels like half the HP of an Atlas. Your only recourse for survival is to meet the enemy and break him. I've been running a triple UAC10 build, but I'm gonna switch it up for a 2xUAC10/3xUAC5 build once I get the money, just to have the spare equipment on hand if nothing else.

Also, having finally been in an extended brawl in my quad ASRM6 Timberwolf, I swapped from medium lasers down to smalls so I could carry an extra two tons of ammo. 550 just wasn't getting it, 750's a lot more comfortable. Not that I live that long most of the time anyway; I'm a tad over-eager. In the same game I finally got to go toe to toe with one of those 6xLRM5 Mad Dog's and... I kinda want one. But I also want a Thunderbolt 5SS to spread my sweet medium pulse laser love. And then Firestarters are on sale and maybe I should own a light mech that isn't a trash can and goddamn there's too much poo poo to buy and not nearly enough C-Bills.

edit: If I'm a super cheap-rear end and would rather buy two more Firestarter variants for the price of the XL295 I should be running in them, could I get away with the XL280 I already own from having the Marmoset?

double edit: 2xUAC10/3xUAC5 Direwolf sucks and I hate it. Gonna try some more games in it tomorrow, but not a fan, rip 2 million C-bills.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 14, 2016

• Locked thread