Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Periphery posted:

I'd actually like to see a party that's essentially the greens but instead of being branded as environmentalists heavily pushes a brand focused on health, education and public infrastructure. While those are some fairly prominent areas in all parties I think a focus on those would still allow a party to differentiate itself from the other parties while providing shitloads of avenues to criticise the status quo.

Parties are the whole problem. They're easy to attack ('the Greens are hippies so you shouldn't vote for them') and it's easy for them to run on one platform (stop the boats) while actually being about something else entirely (the expansion of corporatism). People need to be able to vote for individual policies rather than baskets of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
If you want to vote on party policy you could probably join the party

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Looks like the right wing warhawks in the Liberals are going to be kicking up a stink since both the Defence Minister and Turnbull have knocked back the request from the US for more Australian troops in the Middle East. Kevin Andrews has already slammed Marise Payne for the decision

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Negligent posted:

If you want to vote on party policy you could probably join the party

I don't want to vote on party policy though?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

open24hours posted:

I don't want to vote on party policy though?

Well then be happy with just your vote at election time. Put more effort into the democratic process, you know there is already a solution?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

asio posted:

Nah, the alp was just protectionism and exclusion of asiatics. Everything else was trying to get themselves rich enough to be real tories.

I dunno, Gough-era ALP seemed fairly progressive for its time, though it was quite a brief period between racist protectionists and neoliberal tory-lites.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

asio posted:

Well then be happy with just your vote at election time. Put more effort into the democratic process, you know there is already a solution?

Voting on party policy and voting on what policies are implemented are different things. Party politics is undemocratic at the best of times.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

My Greens membership expired because I'm too poor and disengaged with politics at the moment.Slob Hortins, DiNutellas, Turdballs.

It's worse than Abbott because Abbott tasted like poo poo and got your blood to boil but the current political climate tastes like nothing and how can you be engaged with nothing?

Are you serious? You live in Brisbane - there is a historic campaign being run by the greens in the council elections - you are a greens member. Pm me if you need some tories to fight gently caress

asio
Nov 29, 2008

BBJoey posted:

I dunno, Gough-era ALP seemed fairly progressive for its time, though it was quite a brief period between racist protectionists and neoliberal tory-lites.

"Vietnamese balts" + east timor

asio
Nov 29, 2008

open24hours posted:

Voting on party policy and voting on what policies are implemented are different things. Party politics is undemocratic at the best of times.

If only there was a party that had grassroots democracy as a reason for existing

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I agree, if only there was such a party I might even vote for them instead of the Greens.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I don't feel like fighting.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

That's strange because you're definitely not a lover.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

asio posted:

"Vietnamese balts" + east timor

yeah I'm just trying to conjure up a past I can be nostalgic for :smith:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Not really Auspol specific but it's come up a number of times before and this is a good examination of it. The thin promises of the Sharing Economy vs the reality

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/monitor/apploitation-city-instaserfs

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

David you should get some help before you fall off the edge - if you see a GP you can get a mental health plan for ten free psychologist visits through medicare. You're showing pretty clear signs of depression and the self-medication isn't going to help it go away.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

open24hours posted:

Parties are the whole problem. They're easy to attack ('the Greens are hippies so you shouldn't vote for them') and it's easy for them to run on one platform (stop the boats) while actually being about something else entirely (the expansion of corporatism). People need to be able to vote for individual policies rather than baskets of them.

Uh oh, that sounds like the original definition of democracy why do you hate freedom?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Mate if we didn't have elites like Eric Abetz making our decisions for us it'd be, well, it'd be anarchy wouldn't it? You want bogans pulling the strings?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lid posted:

David you should get some help before you fall off the edge - if you see a GP you can get a mental health plan for ten free psychologist visits through medicare. You're showing pretty clear signs of depression and the self-medication isn't going to help it go away.

Yep. Was thinking this, this morning

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

Labor has a problem with the Greens and doesn’t know how to deal with it.

Over the past 15 years the ALP has bled support to the minor party on the “Left”. In the House of Representatives these votes largely flow back in preferences, but not so in the Senate. Labor also misses out on public funding and in recent years Greens support has been high enough to snatch lower house seats at general elections in several jurisdictions, including the federal one.

It’s not surprising that the major party fumbles about trying to respond, because the solution to the challenge is not clear.

What should Labor do about the Greens?

Several years ago NSW Right heavies Paul Howes and Sam Dastyari believed they had hit upon the solution. They embarked on a media rantathon: the Greens were vandals, the lads screeched, extremists and loonies. In doing so they mistook the task of public political persuasion for a knock-down-drag-out party meeting.

Behaviour like that only assists the minor party; they wear such abuse from such quarters as a badge of honour.

Late last year Bill Shorten went the other way, attempting a couple of sops to Greens supporters, on cigarette tax and carbon emissions target. After that softening up, in the final parliamentary week Labor went for what it hoped was the coup de grace, with MP after MP professing outrage a “dirty deal” with the Coalition over multinational tax. That exercise seemed designed to induce a final Newspoll boost to take into the summer. Like nearly all attempts to influence surveys, it fell flat.

And that - producing policy to stem the bleeding of support to the Left - is a dangerous game to play, more so than the bovver boys’ indulgences, because mainstream voters are watching too.

Who votes for the Greens?

My table for the seat of Melbourne gives a few clues from the Census rankings. It tops the nation’s 150 electorates in proportions of young females, university students, people with no religion, fulltime female employed and renters. But it would be wrong to characterise most of their voters as conforming to these characteristics.

Specifically, the idea that they are just a young person’s party is incomplete, because there aren’t enough youngsters in the country to account for their success.

Certainly, Greens voters are skewed downwards age-wise. Using the first table here, Newspoll quarterlies like this and the back of a napkin, we can estimate that while the median age of the voting public is in the high 40s, that for Greens voters is about 15 years younger.

That is, most Greens supporters are over 30.

They’ve been around for decades, in various permutations, but at the federal level the Greens came into their own in late 2001 after “Tampa” and the invasion of Afghanistan (which was a product of September 11), on both of which the Labor opposition under Kim Beazley largely lined up with the Howard government. The Greens doubled their vote to 5 per cent, and increased it at every federal election before going backwards in 2013.

But the peeling of support away from Labor is not really about policy.

For example, ALP knifings of leaders in 2003, 2006 and 2010 were followed by discernible drops in Greens support in the opinion polls that went straight onto Labor (making smaller differences to two-party-preferred support). Yet none of these personnel changes could seriously be characterised as representing policy shifts towards something more palatable to Greens supporters.

Perhaps in 2003 Mark Latham’s earlier unkind descriptions of US President George W. Bush endeared him to that section of Australians, but anyone who followed politics (and Greens voters tend to be relatively politically engaged) should have known that Latham’s general political instincts, for example on asylum seekers, lay, as Greg Craven once put it, “somewhere to the right of a stockman’s dog.”

And in 2010, new prime minister Julia Gillard’s first rhetorical and policy ports of call involved me-tooing the Coalition on climate change and asylum seekers. Yet the first Newspoll under her saw a 5 point drop in Greens support and a 7 per cent jump in Labor’s.

Greens’ support seems to come from the ALP appearing feeble, not seeming to stand for much, with a whining, ineffective leader. You know, like Bill Shorten today.

There is of course the difference between opinion polls and voting; one is just an attempted measure of the other. This particularly applies to the Greens, whose support, because the party is included in pollsters’ party readouts, tends to be overstated.

Shorten’s failed exercises last year illustrate that appealing to the public is never as simple as just giving people what they say they want.

Still, you can’t blame a person for trying … something.

In today’s Australian, Labor MP Michael Danby employs two prongs, blasting the Greens on national security and making mischief with Victorian Liberal President Michael Kroger’s ruminations on preferencing the Greens in the Melbourne seat of Wills at this year’s election.

Why Kroger thinks it wise to reflect on such matters publicly is anyone’s guess. Until quite recently Liberals managed to have their cake and eat it by usually putting the Greens ahead of Labor in the House of Representatives. In November 2010 Victorian Liberal leader Ted Baillieu announced with fanfare that the reverse would now happen, and his surprise election win facilitated the consensus that that had been a Good Idea. The federal party, despite Tony Abbott’s misgivings, followed suit in 2013.

(Misgivings because had the 2013 practice been in place in 2010, Adam Bandt would not have won Melbourne, there would have been no need for Gillard to do a deal with the Greens, and political life would have panned out differently.

Once he was in, Bandt built up a personal vote sufficient to withstand unfriendly Liberal cards in 2013.)

If I were advising the Liberals I’d suggest ditching the Baillieu model and reverting to previous practice, while discussing it in public as little as possible.

And Labor? Perhaps just ignoring the Greens would be the best policy. Or trying to.

quote:

I just looked at the Greens Policy page. In particular the policy on providing sustainable food sources and food security. Tragically, this policy was implemented in China and Russia by Mao and Stalin respectively. It led to the starvation of over 100m people and set back the country for decades. The Greens through its proposed Food Commissioner will be in charge of who gets what. Maddness is all I can say....

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

The clause about seeking asylum in the first country you get to is something clung to by Australian right-wingers who are furious that asylum seekers don't stay put in Pakistan or Indonesia or whatever lovely poverty-stricken hellhole they end up in. If Australia bordered Afghanistan or Sri Lanka and we really were the first country many refugees arrived in, somehow I don't think you'd hear about it so much. It's a legitimate-sounding front (much like "concern for your safety at sea") to mask the base desire; it's not the founding doctrine of the convention.

So to return to the current situation: do you really think that it's the best situation for any of the three parties involved, including Germany, for millions of refugees to be permanently settled in Greece? And bear in mind that economic considerations aside, Germany has eight times the population of Greece.

I'm pretty sure the clause about first country doesn't actually exist. From when I read the convention a few years ago I don't remember finding any mention of it.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Lid posted:

Good post & good avi.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah it's been rough.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Didn't see this posted, so here goes,
https://twitter.com/jmodoh/status/687447505471053824

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Kid understands stranger danger at least

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

gently caress that is creepy.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

Unions are moving to widen their political influence before this year’s federal election by pouring cash into the Greens, a strategy that is infuriating Labor and sparking accusations of disloyalty against union officials who are formally aligned with the ALP.

The unions have already given the Greens more than $600,000 and are tipped to go further this year, just as the minor party tries to defeat Labor candidates in marginal electorates that will be ­crucial to Bill Shorten’s campaign.

As the nation’s biggest construction union comes under fire from the royal commission into union corruption, it and others have increased their donations to the Greens in a way that expands a powerful political alliance that challenges Labor.

Greens leader Richard Di Natale and his colleagues have vigorously opposed federal Coalition policies to impose criminal sanctions on corrupt union and employer officials, restore the Australian Building and Construction Commission and scale back the proportion of union representatives on superannuation fund boards.

There are divisions within the union movement over the donations, given that the construction division of the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union handed $125,000 to the Greens last year while the same union’s mining division lashed out at Green policies to scale back coalmining.

Anger at the trend is greatest among senior Labor figures who are frustrated that the CFMEU can use its numbers within the party to influence the selection of Labor candidates but then use its cash to help the Greens field rival candidates for the same seats.

The CFMEU is the second biggest union supporter of the Greens after the Victorian branch of the Electrical Trades Union, which gave $360,000 to the Greens in the year to June 2014, the last year for which figures are available. Total union donations to the Greens reached almost $600,000 in 2013-14 following ­donations of $50,000 the previous year and $100,000 in 2011 from the ETU’s Victorian branch, with smaller amounts from several ­unions over the past decade.

Michael Danby, Labor member for Melbourne Ports and a strong critic of Greens policies, said: “Hundreds of thousands of dollars of the Greens political party’s public funding is funnelled into defeating Labor represen­tatives. It’s hard to see … what benefit it is to union members for the ETU or other unions to hand over their members’ funds to Senator Di Natale and his Greens party, especially when the Greens have similar views to the Liberal Party on penalty rates.”

Senior Labor figures have privately urged union leaders to stop funding their political rivals but the complaints have failed to sway the CFMEU or the ETU. Most Labor MPs would not comment publicly on the dispute.

Senator Di Natale has named Mr Danby’s seat as well as the nearby Labor electorates of Batman (held by Labor frontbencher David Feeney) and Wills (held by retiring Labor MP Kelvin Thomson) as targets “within reach” this year. An effort is also under way to seize Labor territory such as Grayndler in NSW, which will be vulnerable to the Greens if sitting member Anthony Albanese, the opposition infrastructure spokesman, moves to another seat with a better chance of victory.

One Labor figure said it was hard for ordinary party members to see officials from the CFMEU sway policy decisions and pre­selections but then give money to the Greens to campaign against Labor.

Another warned that some ­unions were taking a simplistic approach to politics but could not be convinced to stay loyal to the party that has traditionally backed workers.

CFMEU construction division national secretary Dave Noonan dismissed the anonymous critics as “sooks” and rejected claims he and others were being disloyal to Labor by helping the Greens.

“It’s a matter for the union and determined by its democratically elected governing bodies,” Mr Noonan said. “It is disclosed as required by law. The union is loyal to the interests of its members first and foremost.”

The ETU ended its affiliation with Labor in 2010, declaring that it would support whichever party “speaks genuinely” for workers.

The union payments pale next to donations from mining and energy companies, which gave about $1.8 million to the Coalition and about $450,000 to Labor in 2013-14, but unions have the ­capacity to offer more than cash.

The National Tertiary Education Union was hailed for mounting a $1m campaign to support the Greens in the Senate at the last election, confirming its break with Labor. The NTEU’s last filing with the electoral commission confirmed it spent $1m on political campaigning in 2013-14.

Greens senator Lee Rhiannon countered the Labor complaints by arguing that the Greens had shown they would defend the ­interest of workers.

“Union allegiance has been to improving conditions for working people,” Senator Rhiannon said. “The reason some unions have moved away from Labor is because Labor has changed.

“We’ve won our stripes by doing the hard work and being consistent. The unions are not fools — they can see the political landscape is changing.”

With CFMEU officials facing legal action as a result of the royal commission, the government has demanded Labor and the Greens halt any donations from the militant union.

Senator Di ­Natale declined to comment but Australian Greens co-convener Penny Allman-Payne insisted the party would ­accept donations just as other parties did. “It is the Australian Greens’ long-held policy that elections should be publicly funded, to reduce the influence of political donations,” she said.

“Within the current system, the Australian Greens do accept donations, subject to the review of all donations above $1500 by our Donations Reference Group.”

The party also countered the idea that the donations influenced votes in the Senate, noting that the Greens had introduced legislation to abolish the ABCC in 2008 and its votes against the restoration of the ABCC were consistent with that position.

quote:

The Greens are the nation's cancer. They are insidious and persistent. But they need feeding and here we have the unions on the job. Time for some radical chemo therapy to get rid of the lot. People don't realize how the Greens are subverting their future by supporting every attempt to bankrupt our country. 1) they want more immigration 2) they want less industry 3) they want more taxes 4) they want more welfare 5) they want same sex marriage 6) they want christian churches to be marginalised 7) they want more muslims and fewer Christians as immigrants. Of course they will say not so to all of these things - well they would wouldn't they because secrecy and obfuscation are key. Watch the Greens- they are nasties.

quote:

If the Greens get more control of Australian policy its goodnight to investment and infrastructure. Forget anything thats been invented in the 21st century.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

Yeah it's been rough.

There is help and you aren't alone.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

"...especially when the Greens have similar views to the Liberal Party on penalty rates."

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I'm guessing its quoted from the Australian.

Funding going to the Greens is a good way to remind the ALP not to take the unions for granted.

As always gently caress the shoppies.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Not really Auspol specific but it's come up a number of times before and this is a good examination of it. The thin promises of the Sharing Economy vs the reality

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/monitor/apploitation-city-instaserfs

This article was based on a series of podcasts/companion articles that went up last year. The host joined a bunch of sharing economy apps, discussed his experiences, and talked to both customers and other app workers that he ran into. It's a really good listen for anyone who reads this thread.

https://toe.prx.org/2015/06/instaserfs-i-of-iii/

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Anidav posted:

you are a p poo poo greens supporter, bub

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Tokamak posted:

This article was based on a series of podcasts/companion articles that went up last year. The host joined a bunch of sharing economy apps, discussed his experiences, and talked to both customers and other app workers that he ran into. It's a really good listen for anyone who reads this thread.

https://toe.prx.org/2015/06/instaserfs-i-of-iii/

I wonder what the regulatory solution to this is. Ban people from being independent contractors if they're not capable of paying themselves at least minimum wage, just like you can't run other types of businesses if you're not capable of paying your employees?

Now that I think about it, isn't it already illegal to work for less than minimum wage even if you're paying yourself?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 14, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The AEC put up the final list of changes for the NSW redistribution.

Looks like I'm not moving to Grayndler after all.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
You may remember a long while back I posted this article about the private equity firm who pumped and dumped dick smith's profit prospectus to make a fortune from naive investors: https://newmatilda.com/2016/01/14/one-of-the-brains-behind-the-dick-smith-windfall-just-got-appointed-to-the-reserve-bank/

Well, the guy behnind that heist has just been appointed to the Reserve Bank. Plutocracy is cool

https://newmatilda.com/2016/01/14/one-of-the-brains-behind-the-dick-smith-windfall-just-got-appointed-to-the-reserve-bank/

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Anidav posted:

Please see a medical professional and investigate if you have major depressive disorder or ADHD-PI

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The AEC put up the final list of changes for the NSW redistribution.

Looks like I'm not moving to Grayndler after all.

ahaha
:rip: Reid
:rip: albomania
:suicide:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

freebooter posted:

In order to institute this we would actually have to be letting them into the country.

Well actually I guess we wouldn't, but confiscating valuables while throwing people in camps is probably too Nazi Germany at this stage. Watch out for it in 2017 after Malcolm's landslide election victory and sweeping mandate!

According to Civil Liberties Australia " It costs more than $300 a day to keep a prisoner in jail, and more than $600 a day to keep a juvenile in detention...For 2011–12, the costs for police services, courts (criminal and civil) and corrective services was $14.02 billion"

Why are good Australians having to foot the bill for these miscreants? Why don't we follow the path blazed by Denmark and charge prisoners for the cost of their incarceration?

They have clothes and jewellery, cars, houses, bank accounts all of which can be possessed by the state for all the crimes likely to be committed by poor people.

FYI, did you know you have to pay for the privilege of being on parole in the US which is why most people actually end up in jail again. Not because of any crime they committed while out, but they couldn't meet their payments.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

You may remember a long while back I posted this article about the private equity firm who pumped and dumped dick smith's profit prospectus to make a fortune from naive investors: https://newmatilda.com/2016/01/14/one-of-the-brains-behind-the-dick-smith-windfall-just-got-appointed-to-the-reserve-bank/

Well, the guy behnind that heist has just been appointed to the Reserve Bank. Plutocracy is cool

https://newmatilda.com/2016/01/14/one-of-the-brains-behind-the-dick-smith-windfall-just-got-appointed-to-the-reserve-bank/

Wow... holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Amethyst posted:

[That hosed up voice kids do when they're making fun of disabled people] AHHURRRR AT LEAST CAPITALISM WORKS

• Locked thread