Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The comic is becoming self-aware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love the idea that there's a rash of EVERYONE having to change their name. Because they can't be honest about it being literally a handful of racist rear end names, they have to make it a fake 'war' where roving bands of sjws are demanding every sports team they find change their name.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

...they would probably sell extremely well? At least for Oliver, there isn't a huge homophobic segment in his target market.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yes, that's the joke, male comics are super allowed to be crass and vulgar in their jokes but apparently a woman calling her show 'full frontal' is just a v. troubling trend indeed.

I like that he thinks this is a feminist cartoon I guess, because he's using 'compelled' and all? Like, he thinks Comedy Central was all 'hmmm The Amy Schumer Show...I dunno...how about you make it a reference to getting porked, THEN we'll talk!'

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yes, that's the joke, male comics are super allowed to be crass and vulgar in their jokes but apparently a woman calling her show 'full frontal' is just a v. troubling trend indeed.

I like that he thinks this is a feminist cartoon I guess, because he's using 'compelled' and all? Like, he thinks Comedy Central was all 'hmmm The Amy Schumer Show...I dunno...how about you make it a reference to getting porked, THEN we'll talk!'

Jen Sorensen is a woman.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

foobardog posted:

Jen Sorensen is a woman.

My bad. Still a weird kinda patronizing rear end tone wrapped in concern trolling about some level of them being 'pressured' to have a silly name on their show, though.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Didn't all of this "college students are idiot gay babies" poo poo start because a football team refused to play due to all of the pervasive racism around and outside of campus (I want to say Missouri), and the only thing a lot of the right wing seems to give a poo poo about colleges is football? Just checking because a lot of right wing talking points seem to have straight up forgotten it, and the idea of Tinsley being unusually well-versed and understanding is deeply frightening concept to me.

e: I'm in college and a lot of my family either has had a lot of post-secondary schooling, is currently in school or is working in the system and every time this ugly hateful willfully ignorant poo poo comes up I want to burn some rear end in a top hat's house to the ground.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ManlyGrunting posted:

Didn't all of this "college students are idiot gay babies" poo poo start because a football team refused to play due to all of the pervasive racism around and outside of campus (I want to say Missouri), and the only thing a lot of the right wing seems to give a poo poo about colleges is football? Just checking because a lot of right wing talking points seem to have straight up forgotten it, and the idea of Tinsley being unusually well-versed and understanding is deeply frightening concept to me.

e: I'm in college and a lot of my family either has had a lot of post-secondary schooling, is currently in school or is working in the system and every time this ugly hateful willfully ignorant poo poo comes up I want to burn some rear end in a top hat's house to the ground.

Football, especially college football, is actually tied up in a lot of controversy and goings on these days. It's coming under fire for...I don't know, dozens of reasons at this point but because it's MANLY and COOL and PROFITABLE and AMERICAN the right doesn't want any criticism for it. Reports started coming out that having huge guys slam into each other as hard as possible all day fucks up their brains so the right started screaming "pfah, stupid babies can't handle injuries." That incident you mentioned they weren't happy about either. Plus it turns out that college football is a massive cash cow for basically everybody but the students. Even the schools themselves sometimes lose money on college football.

Football is utterly hosed from top to bottom but of course fixing it would involve changing things and the right hates change. Plus it turns out they're big fans of paying people to maim each other for entertainment, apparently.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

ManlyGrunting posted:

Didn't all of this "college students are idiot gay babies" poo poo start because a football team refused to play due to all of the pervasive racism around and outside of campus (I want to say Missouri), and the only thing a lot of the right wing seems to give a poo poo about colleges is football?

You are probably thinking of the University of Missouri, but it's come up other places too. OU lost a recruit because of the SAE stuff, and the team demonstrated in protest.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

these balls that Obama's juggling are actually ZEROES!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea college sports have been 'under fire' for a bit now for issues ranging from 'hey dudes you're making bank off these guys but some of them are going to bed hungry' to 'hey you're basically destroying these kids and making them rely on a job that at best lasts a good few seasons before their knees explode or whatever and then woops you hosed them out of an education so I guess they can go franchise a Quiznos or something, is Quiznos still a thing?'

The other side of it is, more or less 'but we really LIKE making money off these guys and not paying them. Also football is a tough manly sport stop being a pussy about your 'string of concussions before your 21st birthday' you baby'.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Those Social Justice Mermaid edits are great. gently caress Ben Garrison.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
No Garrison is important. He gives egotistical idiots a way to funnel money out of their pockets, into another idiot's pockets, and then produces the equivalent of someone proudly buying a trophy for themselves and displaying when you see that an adult man with a life and poo poo paid actual real money to be drawn as a knight in shining armor slaying a sjw dragon and then posted it online as if it was some high honor.

It's maybe the best thing that's happened in this stupid 'anti-SJW' pushback movement and I won't hear it slandered.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Zemyla posted:

This is amazing and I hope someone is collecting them all in an album or something.

:nws: for nipple http://i.imgur.com/P1hrhvd.png

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you can't find real joy and happiness in watching a grown man proudly say 'this guy I paid to call me cool thinks I'm pretty cool, checkmate, minorities' then I don't know how you carry on in life.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
paging schmorky to the mermaid

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tatum Girlparts posted:

My bad. Still a weird kinda patronizing rear end tone wrapped in concern trolling about some level of them being 'pressured' to have a silly name on their show, though.

I'm not big into comedy, but the majority of what I've seen of Amy Schumer is her talking about her vagina. I dunno if that's problematic, but Jen's not just referring to the name of her show.

Cat Mattress posted:

That's the typical oppositeofreality.jpg from GOP-affiliated cartoonists; but panel 4 is especially great. It's that Kelly cartoon about how race problems do not exist when we don't talk about them.

I like panel 2, especially. They can't deny that the economy somehow magically got better, but it was obviously despite Obama's best efforts.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That incident you mentioned they weren't happy about either. Plus it turns out that college football is a massive cash cow for basically everybody but the students. Even the schools themselves sometimes lose money on college football.

Actually a lot of schools lose money on college football. Not the big names in the conferences obviously, Alabama could probably buy the actual state of Alabama at this point, but all those unheard of teams in mid-level colleges.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"Those goddamn redskins are such whiny babies for calling us racist when we use racist epithets and imagery!"

- Bruce Tinsley, right where kids will read it and learn

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I hope EA sues him cuz the Forty Whiners was already a Mutant League Football team.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think you're really misreading this.

The message is that a woman can't land a late night comedy show unless it's all vulgar humor with constant references to their gender. Amy Schumer needs to make this reference and have that title to land her show. None of the men did (though they could if they wanted to, but they don't need to).

Just look at the line up of the shows and it's pretty apparent. Key & Peele, Kroll show, TDS/TNS, @midnight, and all of the network's shows in the same slots that feature males as the leads. None of them are playing up their gender or making innuendos as their primary selling point.

This is a problem as it suggests that given similar humor women won't land the jobs that men do, unless they play up this angle and make it all about being a vulgar woman.

I don't see how you're interpreting it as concern trolling, especially coming from Sorenson who's held similar views among other topics.

And don't get me wrong. I really enjoy Amy Schumer's comedy, buy if she came to Comedy Central with the same jokes and pitch that Nick Kroll did, would she have landed the job?

That's the question Sorenson is raising.

Edit: Nick Kroll loving sucks.

Also the more I think about this, the more it becomes apparent it's a problem in stand up comedy in general.

itskage fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 14, 2016

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

The irony is that conservatives in the US pretty much define themselves by being outraged about things they don't like. Back in the 60s it was communists, beatnicks, hippies, "negroe activists", unruly students, and so on, and since then there has never been a shortage of things they can resent and complain about. The whole platform of the GOP has been "We're outraged at things you (white people) are upset about as well" for more than five decades. Apart from all those infantile syndicated cartoons, they have whole TV and radio networks which pretty much don't do anything but whine like little babies about the millions of things they are offended by such as light bulbs, LGTB rights or the scientific consensus regarding man made climate change. (And I only touched the tip of the shitberg here). Furthermore, if all else fails, they simply invent something they can be angry about, like "The War On Christmas".

And yet they somehow convinced themselves that the other ones are the ones who should stop complaining and start taking "it" like a man, "it" meaning misogyny, homophobia, racism, etc in this context. The degree of cognitive dissonance at work here is flabberghasting.

Ibogaine fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 14, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Ibogaine posted:

The irony is that conservatives in the US pretty much define themselves by being outraged about things they don't like. Back in the 60s it was communists, beatnicks, hippies, "negroe activists", unruly students, and so on, and since then there has never been a shortage of things they can resent and complain about. The whole platform of the GOP has been "We're outraged at things you (white people) are upset about as well" for more than five decades. Apart from all those infantile syndicated cartoons, they have whole TV and radio networks which pretty much don't do anything but whine like little babies about the millions of things they are offended by such as light bulbs, LGTB rights or the scientific consensus regarding man made climate change. (And I only touched the tip of the shitberg here). Furthermore, if all else fails, they simply invent something they can be angry about, like "The War On Christmas".

And yet they somehow convinced themselves that the other ones are the ones who should stop complaining and start taking "it" like a man, "it" meaning misogyny, homophobia, racism, etc in this context. The degree of cognitive dissonance at work here is flabberghasting.

Reactionaries gonna react :shrug:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

he hosed up the colouring on the i. How do you manage that?

Also, I'll give Tinsley credit- disguising your end-of-year retrospective as predictions for next year isn't a terribly bad setup.

He's just really bad at it.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's pretty tame by Charlie Hebdo's standards.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ibogaine posted:

When they do it, it's defending the (usually terrible) status quo. When others do it, it's demanding some form of change. If you can't argue with any kind of logical or moral basis, then you have to try to whip up some kind of outrage to make yourself the victim. Otherwise you'd have to admit fault and we all know right wingers despise that. So they'll rage about kids being whiny babies for not ruining their bodies and futures for the amuse me of old people or black students not stoically enduring poop swasticas like good little negroes.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

baquerd posted:

...they would probably sell extremely well? At least for Oliver, there isn't a huge homophobic segment in his target market.

On the other hand, a middle aged British man naked.

Someone see if the artist for Manly Guys Doing Manly Things will do one. The Mermaid kinda looks like her.

itskage posted:

The message is that a woman can't land a late night comedy show unless it's all vulgar humor with constant references to their gender. Amy Schumer needs to make this reference and have that title to land her show. None of the men did (though they could if they wanted to, but they don't need to).

Just look at the line up of the shows and it's pretty apparent. Key & Peele, Kroll show, TDS/TNS, @midnight, and all of the network's shows in the same slots that feature males as the leads. None of them are playing up their gender or making innuendos as their primary selling point.

This is a problem as it suggests that given similar humor women won't land the jobs that men do, unless they play up this angle and make it all about being a vulgar woman.

I don't see how you're interpreting it as concern trolling, especially coming from Sorenson who's held similar views among other topics.

And don't get me wrong. I really enjoy Amy Schumer's comedy, buy if she came to Comedy Central with the same jokes and pitch that Nick Kroll did, would she have landed the job?

Also the more I think about this, the more it becomes apparent it's a problem in stand up comedy in general.

Thats a good point. I'm trying to think of a really successful female comedian who didn't need to go to vulgarity, and it's kinda hard.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I know almost every one of us thinks Obama "set race relations back by decades" by daring to be black, giving his opposition no choice but to lose their poo poo, but I wonder how Jarlsberg explains it.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Sorry, but I'm going to be the one to break the latest awful celebrity death to this thread by genuinely wondering what form the Alan Rickman obit cartoons will take. Mostly Snape or mostly Gruber? Oh, also GOD MOTHERFUCKING drat IT gently caress THIS YEAR TO HELL

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Sorry, but I'm going to be the one to break the latest awful celebrity death to this thread by genuinely wondering what form the Alan Rickman obit cartoons will take. Mostly Snape or mostly Gruber? Oh, also GOD MOTHERFUCKING drat IT gently caress THIS YEAR TO HELL

oh what the gently caress

edit:There's going to be at least one "By Grabthar's hammer, you shall be avenged" cartoon directed at cancer.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 14, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

2016, it's January. Please pace yourself.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

itskage posted:

Television still exist?

Must be very old people that watch low quality poo poo.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 14, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I know almost every one of us thinks Obama "set race relations back by decades" by daring to be black, giving his opposition no choice but to lose their poo poo, but I wonder how Jarlsberg explains it.

His news bubble didn't talk about race relations (besides judging any minority as inferior), therefore racism was clearly solved before Obama dared to be uppity.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Thats a good point. I'm trying to think of a really successful female comedian who didn't need to go to vulgarity, and it's kinda hard.

Ellen Degeneres. But the point is still valid.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fulchrum posted:

Lucille Ball. Because she was just inherently classier than modern female comedians don't ya know?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Main thing I'm wondering is if any right-wingers were paying enough attention during the SOTU to blame it on Joe Biden

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

Main thing I'm wondering is if any right-wingers were paying enough attention during the SOTU to blame it on Joe Biden

"Not quite fast enough, eh Joe?" feels like a Kelly-level dig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

loquacius posted:

"If you like your cancer-stricken celebrities you can keep your cancer-stricken celebrities."

• Locked thread