Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

beepsandboops posted:

I'm hoping I can take over the hiring process so it doesn't take another 2 months to fill an entry-level position.

I've been doing my own job plus picking up 24 to 36 hours a week covering for a departed production supervisor since January 4th. Of 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If I recall correctly OnedriveForBusiness or whatever the hell they are calling it now is based off of Groove which sharepoint uses which is why they both suck to similar degrees, while regular consumer OneDrive is not and works much better. All I know is that I'm glad I dont have to support OneDrive anymore. If you ever have any problems whatsoever save yourself the troubleshooting and just wipe the folder and re-sync. That's going to be Microsofts suggestion anyway.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Microsoft branding in a nutshell

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Me = black

AS/400 doofus = blue

:psyduck:

What helpdesk software is that?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

What helpdesk software is that?

Spiceworks

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

mewse posted:

Microsoft branding in a nutshell

It's silly but at least it's not balls-out insanity like the Pepsi logo pitch.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does everyone actually have a picture of themselves as an avatar? Or are the different colored shirts representing something else.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BurgerQuest posted:

Does everyone actually have a picture of themselves as an avatar? Or are the different colored shirts representing something else.

... On the SA Forums?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Volmarias posted:

... On the SA Forums?

I think he means just off the edge of the screenshot of the chat in Bob's post.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

mewse posted:

It's like people don't know how to treat their problems with alcohol nowadays

It was probably easier when it was socially acceptable to have a drink at lunch.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Ynglaur posted:

It was probably easier when it was socially acceptable to have a drink at lunch.

I thought that was why we had in office kegerators now?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If I recall correctly OnedriveForBusiness or whatever the hell they are calling it now is based off of Groove which sharepoint uses which is why they both suck to similar degrees, while regular consumer OneDrive is not and works much better. All I know is that I'm glad I dont have to support OneDrive anymore. If you ever have any problems whatsoever save yourself the troubleshooting and just wipe the folder and re-sync. That's going to be Microsofts suggestion anyway.

That's correct, and they're phasing out the old sharepoint/skydrive for the consumer one, but you have to be on win10 to get it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Re: Onedrive.

Can we please have placeholders back? Pretty please?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Double post because this.

Screw shoddy backup vendors who's status reports say everything is fine, and then an Exchange server starts acting up because one of it's DBs hasn't been properly backup for months and has 122 GB of transaction files filling up a drive. Then I have to manually back it all up over a 100 Mbit line and have to wait and wait and wait while I nervously keep an eye out for how much free space is left on the drive.

At least we already decided not to extend the backup contract and is finishing up moving everything to internally hosted (offsite) backups. It's still TSM, but at least it's ~1000 times faster.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BurgerQuest posted:

Everyone has a picture

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Bob Morales posted:

Everyone has a picture

I like how you're all getting progressively farther away from the camera

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If using spiceworks these hosts file entries are critical:

code:
127.0.0.1	gekko.spiceworks.com
127.0.0.1	community.spiceworks.com
127.0.0.1	xact.spiceworks.com
127.0.0.1	static.spiceworks.com
If you find something on spiceworks community via search that looks interesting, just copy the drat url to another machine to open it. gently caress spiceworks community, I can't stand that bullshit circlejerk.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kujeger posted:

I like how you're all getting progressively farther away from the camera

I'd suggest it was the cameraman slowly backing away from them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Crowley posted:

Re: Onedrive.

Can we please have placeholders back? Pretty please?

This times a million. I always panic when I use explorer on my tablet and think all of my family photos somehow got deleted. It's a file pointer for goodness sake.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
:yotj:

After 5.5 years of academic library desktop support I'm moving on to a pretty sweet sys admin position for a private manufacturing company that has been rolling in money for years (a buddy of mine is a plant manager for them). There is an IT team, so I'm not a one man band, but they are 6 hours away, so they aren't always looking over my shoulder.

:feelsgood:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

"Why doesn't my Skype work with my customers who have Skype?"

Because the 'Skype' we have is 'Skype for Business' and not real 'Skype'. you can easily tell because the window title bar says 'Lync'

hoju22
May 3, 2006

Easy. You just don't lead 'em so much.
Anyone else use connectwise for ticketing/billing? Is there any aspect of that doesn't make you want to scream?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

devmd01 posted:

code:
127.0.0.1	community.spiceworks.com

Everyone should do this just to be safe

Naramyth posted:

:yotj:

After 5.5 years of academic library desktop support I'm moving on to a pretty sweet sys admin position for a private manufacturing company that has been rolling in money for years (a buddy of mine is a plant manager for them). There is an IT team, so I'm not a one man band, but they are 6 hours away, so they aren't always looking over my shoulder.

:feelsgood:
Congrats!

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Dear oracle account manager/sales dude: I've told you multiple times that I was shoved into a 'AIX/Oracle admin' title because I sorta knew AIX and have looked at the various oracle DB scripts we run. I've also mentioned that the system is going away within a year and we aren't interested in any more Oracle products for the forseeable future. Please stop trying to sign me up for product demos and presentations

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Danith posted:

Dear oracle account manager/sales dude: I've told you multiple times that I was shoved into a 'AIX/Oracle admin' title because I sorta knew AIX and have looked at the various oracle DB scripts we run. I've also mentioned that the system is going away within a year and we aren't interested in any more Oracle products for the forseeable future. Please stop trying to sign me up for product demos and presentations

http://howfuckedismydatabase.com

Godspeed son. Godspeed.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I feel like the oracle portion is backwards, my client (likely) spent millions developing it and having consultants apply patches and there were rarely issues, although I'm not entirely sure... but they are a billion+ a year company.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

spog posted:

"Why doesn't my Skype work with my customers who have Skype?"

Because the 'Skype' we have is 'Skype for Business' and not real 'Skype'. you can easily tell because the window title bar says 'Lync'

I thought SfB could be configured to allow users to I'M or call consumer Skype.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
I am again really hating overseas support teams

We need to get a technician onsite and that requires US phone numbers. Which I got.

Now, as it turns out: the technician is required by the customer to email the India team list so they can file the ticket with security to allow him onsite. Did not tell me this upfront. Also. that is NOT valid point of contact per the contract. We tried to do it this time as a one-time attempt since it was already set up. The phone numbers provided apparently don't answer their phones.
The tech had gone onsite two times and was never allowed in. In the end the security guy felt sorry for the tech the second time and helped do the swap for him (security kept the drive for obvious reasons).

Now these guys are going to get even more pissed when I tell them that precious email list isn't going to work and how lucky they were this time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lightning Jim posted:

I am again really hating overseas support teams
Let me tell you about the lovely eProcurement software I have to use that is Indian...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

I thought SfB could be configured to allow users to I'M or call consumer Skype.

My (very poor) understanding is that you can do this, but the user with consumer Skype has to have linked his Skype account with a Microsoft account.

Okay, if they've got Win10, they've probably been strongarmed into doing that during the install process, but good luck explaining to a mac user how (or why) they have to do that in order to talk to you

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

spog posted:

My (very poor) understanding is that you can do this, but the user with consumer Skype has to have linked his Skype account with a Microsoft account.

Okay, if they've got Win10, they've probably been strongarmed into doing that during the install process, but good luck explaining to a mac user how (or why) they have to do that in order to talk to you

Didn't realize that: thanks. It's hard enough sending people Skype meeting invites and having them freak out over installing a plugin. These are the same people that don't bat and eye over installing a WebEx plugin.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Remote site that I shipped a new battery to: Can't access network drives.

Your server is off, and has been off for half an hour. You didn't pick up the phone or respond to my email about turning it on that I sent as soon as I got in at 8:25.

Thanks for CCing the CEO and CFO about this, now I get to tell them what you can do to prevent it and that you already have the tools. I also have nice graphs to show everyone in the email. I'm not a dick really, I wouldn't have even told the CEO or CFO about this if you hadn't included them on the original email.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Let me tell you about the lovely eProcurement software I have to use that is Indian...

Let me tell you about how me and all my friends either quit or were laid off from our jobs at a PBX vendor and are now all Business Partners and have to deal with the overseas support folks who replaced us and have almost no experience on the product.

But on the lighter side, it's fun to see them do things like reset a Fortune 500's phone system in the middle of the day.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Middle management at my employer wonders why their first-tier call receivers don't respect them.

For the third time, since the middle of December, I've seen this scenario play out. Support rep is called with a product that's significantly out of warranty. Customer wants it replaced, but it can't be, because that's how warranties work. Customer takes the 'let's get abusive' route to get to a manager, without any provocation by the support rep. Support rep is subjected to vulgarity and personal attacks as they do their job standing up to policy, and eventually escalate the call. Support rep in every example is a bit demoralized and flustered, but largely advised they did the right thing, a good job.

Manager gets call, capitulates within 5 to 10 minutes, and gives in to customer demands. Manager *emails the support rep back that originally handled the call and took the bullshit off the customer*, to have them call back the customer and arrange the orders for whatever demands the customer got the manager to cave in on.

Middle managers who are likely not ever to read this; please don't loving do that. Either set up those orders yourselves (and if you don't actually know how to use the order processing utilities you expect your subordinates to, you're incompetent), or at least have the sense to arrange for a different representative to call the shitheel customer back.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Even better, stop caving to shitheel customers. You're only teaching the shitheel that he can get away with not paying by screaming loud enough and losing sales in the long term.

It's never worth keeping an abusive customer.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Collateral Damage posted:

Even better, stop caving to shitheel customers. You're only teaching the shitheel that he can get away with not paying by screaming loud enough and losing sales in the long term.

Pretty much this. My MSP had a customer that was infamous for doing this. We promptly told them we would work til the end of the contract as signed but then we're out and you can just drown in a pool of your own piss for all we care. I hope they didn't find another service manager and realize maybe being a huge dick is not the best way to find IT support.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Me: "Hi, we're having a problem with receiving email notifications from you guys. It's been working fine up until yesterday. We can log in and see we have orders waiting, but we're not getting the email letting us know new orders are in the system"

quote:

Thank you for contacting GEP support.

We see that notification was triggered to (someone not even at our company) and the order is acknowledged also. FYI reference the attached email.

We are glad to assist you. We appreciate your business and look forward to your suggestions and feedback. For any further queries, kindly get in touch with us at the numbers mentioned below.

Thanking you,

Regards,
Mallick BVSK
GEP Support

Okay, well that wasn't that helpful.

quote:

We have identified the primary contact for xxxxxx is xxxx (xxx@xxxx.com), As there is no partner location for REMIT for your company as a Vendor you will not receive the notifications. For REMIT location please contact the order Contact, he will help you with REMIT location. And the notifications will trigger to the Primary contact.

We are glad to assist you. We appreciate your business and look forward to your suggestions and feedback. For any further queries, kindly get in touch with us at the numbers mentioned below.

Thanking you,

Regards,
Mallick BVSK
GEP Support

Right. The primary contact isn't receiving the notifications. Did you guys change something in the last few days?

At this point i called them

NO SIR NOTHING HAS CHANGED. THE PRIMARY CONTACT RECEIVES NOTIFICATIONS

Well, they aren't. Can you have someone confirm in the mail logs that you're sending emails to us? (I checked with our email provider to see if any messages to the primary contactaddress were getting caught in the spam filter. Negative)

NO SIR WE DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO ANY OF THAT INFORMATION

I confirmed with the guy who the primary contact was, and what the email was. VendorName@OurDomain.com

So why aren't we getting the messages?

He did the Indian thing where he just locks up. Won't say anything. Basically silent until I told him goodbye and hung up.

Next up I call our email provider back. Hey, can you guys see ANY messages from support@shittyEProcurementCompany.com coming to our domain? Sure..they're going to EmployeeWhoUsedToWorkHere@OurDomain.com

Great. I create an alias, reset the password for that account on their site, and then I call the eProcurement place back. I explain to them they're all of a sudden sending emails to someone OTHER than the primary contact. Of course, they deny it.

SIR NOTHING HAS CHANGED WE HAVE MADE IMPROVEMENTS TO THE WEB CONSOLE BUT NOT TO THE NOTIFICATIONS.

Again, I explain how they're going to another email address and they clam up and won't respond.

Okay shitheads. I just pointed the alias I made for the employee who's long gone to VendorName@OurDomain.com. Ugh.

Also I'm not racist, I love Indian food and I go to the local 'India Fair' ever summer.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

This is one thing I'm glad for at my current employer, having worked lovely jobs before this one. I've had it where the customer's boss was called because of how abusive a person was being to us, threatening to revoke warranties due to it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bob Morales posted:

Moronic vendor support

I don't think said reps race had anything to do with the fact they have been trained to do nothing other than follow a flow chart for all calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Something else that comes to mind recently is when you have a software vendor or MSP that goes through hardware vendor for hardware support. And that first vendor basically throws the customer at the hardware vendor instead of doing their job. (Because that customer is able to call the second vendor directly as the contract is tied to the server) It's just as frustrating for me as that hardware vendor tech as much as it it for the customer, although sometimes you DO

Literally had that yesterday except they also expected us to call them instead of even bothering to bring the customer in with them. Unfortunately for them I couldn't reach the customer so still nothing is done.