Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Taear posted:

So I know I have asked this before but I'm still not certain. The quest for level 5 Mechanics is from the board right? How do I get it to appear? Do I have to be at number 4 with everything?

Just level 4 mechanic, you can cycle quests on the board by opening it and closing it until you see "Off the Record". I don't know of any other requirements other than having the corresponding level 4 skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Now the game has pulled its worst trick yet: forcing me to spend time with Gwin.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Now the game has pulled its worst trick yet: forcing me to spend time with Gwin.

Gwin is remarkable in that there is literally not a single interesting or even amusing thing to his character and he is exactly what he first seems. There is no Gwin twist.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 14, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Gwin is remarkable in that there is literally not a single interesting or even amusing thing to his character and he is exactly what he first seems. There is no Gwin twist.

He's got good taste in women, at least.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

He's got good taste in women, at least.

She pretty much outright states she's not interested in him in one of her Heart-to-Hearts if you pick one of the choices :v:. Gwin was also the last character I maxxed affinity on, and he spent that time lagging by two whole Hearts.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

bloodychill posted:

The really weird thing about Gwin is that all his conversations, and his affinity missions, all talk about how he's apparently garbage. Like one affinity mission is literally teaching him the basics of combat. It's kinda weird. All the characters go on about how awful he is and how he's like apparently the worst soldier in BLADE but he's not any worse than any of the other party members??? Like, he's definitely not the best but he's no Celica.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Finished the game this weekend and it took me this long to catch up with the thread. I was avoiding it due to spoilers, or something.

I gotta say, I was pretty "meh" on Lin at first, but by Chapter 11 and especially 12 I actively despised her. The game forcing you to side with her didn't help matters. The ONE time a dialog box would have been entirely appropriate and meaningful and the game doesn't give you one! I would have popped bother her and Lao in the loving head by that point. Oh and speaking of Mr. Spoiler The whole thing with Lao was just so mishandled it wasn't even funny. You barely see any of Lao even in his Affinity missions, then you're supposed to care about his sob story? I had zero attachment to him at all. The fact that Lin liked him was also a point against him because I didn't like Lin. I still don't get why Lin likes him so much. He's such a non-character. She seems to have more interaction with Vandham and Doug. Why is Lao her pseudo father-figure?

However the main story being dumb as balls does not dampen my enjoyment of the game! I LOVE exploring and poking around all the nooks and crannies. Noctilum is my favorite region. It's like a mixture of Makna Forest and Satorl Marsh from Chronicles, and those were the two best areas in the game. How can you go wrong?

I basically stopped giving a poo poo about the story after Chapter 9 and my Skell could flyyyyyy. I love my Skell! My MC has Fiora's VA, her Skell is named Fiora, and the rest of the party's Skells are named after Xenoblade characters. Elma has Shulk, because she's the real protagonist and Lin has Reyn, because tank.

Only thing that annoys me at this point about the game are times when I arbitrarily can't bring my Skell. Like That Mission. You know the one. The one with the Rexoskell? Yeah. gently caress that thing. gently caress that whole poxy cave! That fucker took me a full two stinking days to beat. TWO. DAYS. The real kick in the balls was you have to chase it down again, only THIS time you actually get to use your Skell! Know how long that lasted? About 2 minutes, if that. BULLSHIT.

Oh and I've read that longswords are the go-to broken combo for ground combat, but I like being a Jedi too much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The smart way to put down the Rexoskell is just to Scout three level 60's with Blossom Dance and let them go to town on it. Ditto for Blood Despair.

In short; gently caress the Ganglion Atropolis and everything involved with it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was wandering around installing probes when night fell and a level 40 tyrant suddenly rushed in and murdered my whole team in one hit. This is scratching an old itch.

I still don't understand anything about divisions or the job levels but I will figure it out eventually I guess!!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was wandering around installing probes when night fell and a level 40 tyrant suddenly rushed in and murdered my whole team in one hit. This is scratching an old itch.

I still don't understand anything about divisions or the job levels but I will figure it out eventually I guess!!

I think I don't understand either, but my alternative explanation is that there's not much to understand for either. Join a division and do whatever you like and you still earn division points even if it's unrelated to your division. :shrug:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Here's how you do divisions:
-Join Prospectors
-Do nothing
-Get best division reward each day

fin

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I joined the Pathfinders because I wanted to get bonuses for putting out data probes, since I knew the first thing I was gonna do was wander around and find new stuff.

Maybe I should've been a curator instead? I dunno who cares really.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
You can change at any time with no recourse, fine or anything like that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Louisgod posted:

You can change at any time with no recourse, fine or anything like that.

Actually I think it does fine you to do that. Just in credits though, so it's not like you're really going to be hurting for that cash.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something to note with your income; once you get 99 units of a mined resource, you get the credit value instead. Some are worth 3000+ credits and you will get obscene amounts of credits come endgame. I'm up to 1.2 BILLION in total.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh and I've read that longswords are the go-to broken combo for ground combat, but I like being a Jedi too much.

Nothing special about Longswords save for the fact that they're the only weapon type with superweapons; lightsabers actually work just fine, you just won't do quite as much damage.

The only thing that really matters is using Dual Guns for Ghostwalker and having at least one Arts: TP mod.

As for changing Divisions; there's a fee, but it's tiny, so go nuts.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Unoriginal One posted:

Nothing special about Longswords save for the fact that they're the only weapon type with superweapons; lightsabers actually work just fine, you just won't do quite as much damage.

The only thing that really matters is using Dual Guns for Ghostwalker and having at least one Arts: TP mod.

Longswords are also the only class type with honorable nippon steel

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Calaveron posted:

On the other hand, you can get sweet hanzo lasers with Photon Sabers. :colbert:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Nopon Steel or GTFO.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Unoriginal One posted:

Yeah I'd like to try that. Next on my list is to get some +TP mods. I've been relying on the Ramjet Rifle to generate TP for me but I'd like to try some Ghost Walker business instead.

Also some +accuracy Augs for my Skell. And I want an Ares 90 too. Ugh. So much farming! (Yes I know I can get poo poo with Reward Tickets but that's still a lot of tickets!)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah I'd like to try that. Next on my list is to get some +TP mods. I've been relying on the Ramjet Rifle to generate TP for me but I'd like to try some Ghost Walker business instead.

Also some +accuracy Augs for my Skell. And I want an Ares 90 too. Ugh. So much farming! (Yes I know I can get poo poo with Reward Tickets but that's still a lot of tickets!)

Join the prospectors, you'll get tons of reward tickets for doing basically nothing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Falcon posted:

Go for the L60 Amdusias. From what I understand; the Ares 90 is as good as it'll ever get, but a L60 frame can beat it with better Intergalactic gear.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

Join the prospectors, you'll get tons of reward tickets for doing basically nothing.

Did so! Still need a ton of tickets.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go for the L60 Amdusias. From what I understand; the Ares 90 is as good as it'll ever get, but a L60 frame can beat it with better Intergalactic gear.

Can you buy that or do you have to craft it? I have a lv 50 Amdusias. Anyway no reason I can't have both, right?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, money. I know that after completing the main story there are apparently missions that open up that you can do over and over that give you upwards of 300,000 NLA Dollars or whatever per run. Is there any reason to try and gather money before you can do that? Seems to me that sounds so easy to do that if I want big lvl 50 skells or something I should just wait.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ChaosArgate posted:

I think I'll switch to that. I'm too scared to lose my Skells right now because the cost of replacing them is so utterly ridiculous, I have to keep reloading!

I'm fighting a fuckoff big spaceship and I feel like I have no chance. I have to have all three characters in at least level 30 skells don't I? Ugh. My kingdom for a money cheat! I almost feel like the random missions are missing a zero because killing a level 80 Tyrant to get 7500 credits is entirely 100% pointless.

quote:

So, money. I know that after completing the main story there are apparently missions that open up that you can do over and over that give you upwards of 300,000 NLA Dollars or whatever per run. Is there any reason to try and gather money before you can do that? Seems to me that sounds so easy to do that if I want big lvl 50 skells or something I should just wait.
You kinda need those skells for beating the bosses in the primary missions.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

You don't get reward tickets for that. A free salvage ticket every day, yes, but no reward tickets.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Unoriginal One posted:

You don't get reward tickets for that. A free salvage ticket every day, yes, but no reward tickets.

Oh really? My bad then! I coulda sworn reward tickets were tied to your division.

Taear posted:

I think I'll switch to that. I'm too scared to lose my Skells right now because the cost of replacing them is so utterly ridiculous, I have to keep reloading!

I'm fighting a fuckoff big spaceship and I feel like I have no chance. I have to have all three characters in at least level 30 skells don't I? Ugh. My kingdom for a money cheat! I almost feel like the random missions are missing a zero because killing a level 80 Tyrant to get 7500 credits is entirely 100% pointless.

Ah, Chapter 10, I see. Yeah, you're going to want your characters in Skells, preferably with flight modules because otherwise how the gently caress else are you going to fight the fucker. If you need more cash, you should try rigging your frontiernav set ups to give you more cash per tick. I think at that point of the game, I was getting like 50-80k per tick, which means I only have to play for a few hours before I have the cash I need for a new Skell.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh really? My bad then! I coulda sworn reward tickets were tied to your division.

Ah, Chapter 10, I see. Yeah, you're going to want your characters in Skells, preferably with flight modules because otherwise how the gently caress else are you going to fight the fucker. If you need more cash, you should try rigging your frontiernav set ups to give you more cash per tick. I think at that point of the game, I was getting like 50-80k per tick, which means I only have to play for a few hours before I have the cash I need for a new Skell.

Reward tickets are for squad stuff; be it fulfilling tasks, doing the squad missions, or trading in bits you chopped off of the gigantic punching bags(Yggralith parts give 90+ tickets each).

Also, it's rather easy to crank your probe income into the six-digit range really early on if you try; there's only a handful of probe sites and sightseeing spots you can't reach on foot, and there's ways to get just about everywhere else on foot even at a low level.

(And I fought the Ch. 10 boss on foot; it was a pain to lure it over solid ground, but it went a lot faster once it cooperated)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Taear posted:

Level 50 Skells? I dont know. I've been doing fine so far, even beating that Chapter 10 spaceship boss (though it was close).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Silver Falcon posted:

The top class path may be the most newbie-friendly but I kinda wish I hadn't taken it, because now when I try different classes with their default weapons I say "it could be dead already" and switch to longsword/assault rifle. It's just so much more reliable to get bonus damage when targeted and use a taunting class than it is to try to get an NPC to tank.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Do you get anything for filling out the Collectapedia 100%, or is it just more holograms? I'm trying to debate if it's worth tracking down these last two super rare collectables.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Unoriginal One posted:

Reward tickets are for squad stuff; be it fulfilling tasks, doing the squad missions, or trading in bits you chopped off of the gigantic punching bags(Yggralith parts give 90+ tickets each).
Speaking of Yggralith, I poked my head in at level 20 and immediately lost it. Is there anything to do with BLADE badges before max level?

quote:

Also, it's rather easy to crank your probe income into the six-digit range really early on if you try; there's only a handful of probe sites and sightseeing spots you can't reach on foot, and there's ways to get just about everywhere else on foot even at a low level.
I love that I can get away with aggro-dodging and geometry-exploiting my way various places. Sure they may expect me to get there with flight, but if I want to bunny-hop my way up a mountain there's no invisible wall to tell me no. I pulled off one pixel-perfect jump to a floating island mining site, only to find out it requires mechanics 5.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Went into the final boss as I went into everything previous: loaded for Bear Tyrants. Three Excavators, one level 50 skell, and all of them loaded with super weapons. Pretty sure I one shot God mech.

By the way, what was the Demiurge this time? I'm still trying to figure out the Gnosticism angle here.

Now just to farm up some gear to grind Yggdralith Zero. All my tickets are going into the Millepod bits for Megafauna slayer, because gently caress Millepods.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Uhh so what am I supposed to do if I die while fighting the first boss in Chapter 12? I don't have my skells anymore.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ashsaber posted:

Now just to farm up some gear to grind Yggdralith Zero. All my tickets are going into the Millepod bits for Megafauna slayer, because gently caress Millepods.

They're the easiest thing to kill, especially since the insectoid slayer augments are so cheap.

bust the back twice before killing him so you can get 3 of the required materials since the body also has a chance to drop it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It feels like the treasure chests in these high level areas need to contain either fashion gear or high level (XX) augments, because it's really disappointing to finally come back to an hidden area with level 60+ enemies and find that it only had one chest that was only BP.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Speaking of Yggralith, I poked my head in at level 20 and immediately lost it. Is there anything to do with BLADE badges before max level?

I love that I can get away with aggro-dodging and geometry-exploiting my way various places. Sure they may expect me to get there with flight, but if I want to bunny-hop my way up a mountain there's no invisible wall to tell me no. I pulled off one pixel-perfect jump to a floating island mining site, only to find out it requires mechanics 5.

Telethia Plume is set to level 35, so there's that the next time it breezes in. Not worth as many tickets, but it does cough up flower hair pieces for your pretty princessing needs.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Uhh so what am I supposed to do if I die while fighting the first boss in Chapter 12? I don't have my skells anymore.

git gud. Or load, then go scout someone with a crazy ground build and mulch everything. Look through the level 60 Vagabonds and check anyone using Dual Guns; most of them will be using Longswords, but there are those of us who stick to Photon Sabers.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TurnipFritter posted:

It feels like the treasure chests in these high level areas need to contain either fashion gear or high level (XX) augments, because it's really disappointing to finally come back to an hidden area with level 60+ enemies and find that it only had one chest that was only BP.

There are some that are like that but they're all located off the grid in areas that are not visible from the map.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I can only think of one or two chests that had XX mods in them, the real loot from the islands typically comes from the high-level tyrants chilling on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Are research probes just not nearly as common as mining ones, or am I looking for them in the wrong place? My ore generation is currently bigger than my storage space, so I may as well put my nodes into cash until more storage probes come along.

• Locked thread