Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Alright, thanks. I'll probably start out with Castle of Cagliostro and see if I can get into the older stuff on CR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

DoubleDonut posted:

Alright, thanks. I'll probably start out with Castle of Cagliostro and see if I can get into the older stuff on CR.

Can't go wrong with Miyazaki. I also dig a lot of the specials, 90 minute TV movies they made every year for the past few decades. To name a few I dig, Episode 0 'First Contact', Sweet Lost Night, and Missed by a Dollar.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Waffleman_ posted:

The first three TV series are all on Crunchyroll, Fujiko can be streamed/bought from Funimation, and some of the movies like Castle of Cagliostro and Secret of Mamo are on Hulu and are also easily available on DVD.

Crunchy only has the first 79 episodes of Part 2, though. The other 76 don't have an Egnlish release (not counting the two that got a VHS release in the mid-'90s, since they aren't available)

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So is there a seperate thread for discussion of the current anime or is it cool here?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This would be the place for it, yes.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

TheManSeries posted:

So is there a seperate thread for discussion of the current anime or is it cool here?

oh right, Lupin thread.

Where can we watch it?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I've not found it anywhere officially, I just checked on Nyaa. If there is an official version though I'd be happy to support it. I really enjoyed the first episode and the art style gives me a Space Dandy vibe just in how well the color and flow to everything is. It's my first time watching Lupin in Japanese and I really like a lot of the cast too.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It's not licensed anywhere outside of Italy still afaik.

Also you're entirely right that the art design is absolutely spot on, they did a great job of capturing the feel. Character designs, BGs, etc are all really strong.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I find the lack of subs disturbing.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I find the lack of subs disturbing.
seriously what the heck is goin' on w this
apparently there are already 13 eps out (and it's complete in italy??) and not one dang trace or sign

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You can find soft subs on nyaa, but the quality of those subs is based entirely on the guy translating the Italian dub into English. Worked so far for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the actual fansubbers are busy working on the uncensored version of Valkyrie Drive, sorry.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

You can find soft subs on nyaa, but the quality of those subs is based entirely on the guy translating the Italian dub into English. Worked so far for me.
i checked and yep there they are
blue jacket series owns owns owns god drat it's good
edit:
watch it fuckers

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 14, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I may love Zenigata more than anyone else in the franchise. He's consistently the best in any scene he's in.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I may love Zenigata more than anyone else in the franchise. He's consistently the best in any scene he's in.
this series has the best zenigata and the 2nd best jigen (#1 being gravestone jigen)
like holy poo poo this is p much the best lupin series guaranteed despite the first 3 eps being weak

it even has a remix of tornado!!

edit:
almost forgot to appreciate jigen from all this excitement. drat...

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 14, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

hey goemon is actually an assassin again instead of a goody two shoes thief or whatever
im pretty sure he kills more dudes in a single episode of this series than he has in the past like 20 years of lupin specials

god i really hope this stuff is blowing up in japan because it's way too good to just be ignored like this... it ain't right!!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Good news!

Crunchyroll is getting the new Lupin III on January 7th!!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yessssssss

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bout fuckin time

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

yes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lupin the THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRD

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
No excuses now, motherfuckers. Get some loving Lupin in your life

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

updated the OP/link
gently caress yes

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Zenigata episode is incredibly good, and I think it's one of my favorite Lupin episodes. At the very least it's absolutely my favorite of the episodes in the new series that I've seen thus far.

It's really cool to see him get some some time in the spotlight, poor guy has had it rough in the past few decades. He's usually a non-factor in the tv specials and while I dug Fujiko Mine's take on him I wish they could have done more with him.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Srice posted:

The Zenigata episode is incredibly good, and I think it's one of my favorite Lupin episodes. At the very least it's absolutely my favorite of the episodes in the new series that I've seen thus far.

It's really cool to see him get some some time in the spotlight, poor guy has had it rough in the past few decades. He's usually a non-factor in the tv specials and while I dug Fujiko Mine's take on him I wish they could have done more with him.
even in the mine fujiko series he's still ultimately a punchline so this series' take on him being hypercompetent and the only dude who can actually keep up w lupin who isn't a piece of poo poo is fantastic
like normally it's that he can keep up but he's a joke or seen as a joke or even worse he's totally out of his league/literally a joke

it's great!!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I always liked the implication that Zenigata could take down anyone he wanted to, but chooses to chase Lupin instead.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Shinjobi posted:

I always liked the implication that Zenigata could take down anyone he wanted to, but chooses to chase Lupin instead.

I marathoned the 70s series a while back, and this feels on the money. The only reason Interpol keeps Zenigata around is because he keeps making other high-profile arrests of criminals that are only tangentially involved in the caper of the week.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Zenigata is literally the best cop in the world, Lupin is simply better than him.

Also I really like that they're basically Best Enemies: they really like each other, too bad they're on opposite sides :shobon: It gets to the point that sometimes Lupin gives him a call (or sends him a message, or drops a hint) that basically amounts to "Hey dude, might want to check out this thing, it might interest you."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fereydun posted:

even in the mine fujiko series he's still ultimately a punchline so this series' take on him being hypercompetent and the only dude who can actually keep up w lupin who isn't a piece of poo poo is fantastic
like normally it's that he can keep up but he's a joke or seen as a joke or even worse he's totally out of his league/literally a joke

it's great!!

Hey, Nyx isn't a complete piece of poo poo. When his rat superpowers aren't causing him to hulk out or whatever the gently caress that is.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Mikl posted:

Zenigata is literally the best cop in the world, Lupin is simply better than him.

Also I really like that they're basically Best Enemies: they really like each other, too bad they're on opposite sides :shobon: It gets to the point that sometimes Lupin gives him a call (or sends him a message, or drops a hint) that basically amounts to "Hey dude, might want to check out this thing, it might interest you."

that episode where zenigata caught lupin and then was sad cause lupin was gonna be executed

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Condiv posted:

that episode where zenigata caught lupin and then was sad cause lupin was gonna be executed

That's one of my favorite Lupin eps!

Episode 4 of the very first series, if anyone wants to watch it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I like that they both kinda need each other. They're each the best at what they do and they're the only ones that can keep the other on their toes.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

They're like batman and the joker but actually fun and interesting instead of being really overdone.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fiend Computer posted:

They're like batman and the joker but actually fun and interesting instead of being really overdone.

It also helps that Lupin is a fun dude with a semi-functional moral compass rather than, y'know, an insane mass murderer, so we're not rooting for Zenigata to just snap, betray his principles, and cap him in the head after he escapes prison and returns to a life of crime for the eleventy-billionth time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Zenigata might be really bad at actually catching Lupin, but he is amazing at tracking him down and interfering with his plans. Of course, if you look at it another way that is because most episodes need a zenigata subplot for padding so the tracking thing is just an excuse for his presence.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Blue Jacket dub is happening.

Tony Oliver, Richard Epcar, Michelle Ruff, and Lex Lang are reprising their roles from the Red Jacket dub, and Epcar is directing again as well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

FortMax posted:

Blue Jacket dub is happening.

Tony Oliver, Richard Epcar, Michelle Ruff, and Lex Lang are reprising their roles from the Red Jacket dub, and Epcar is directing again as well.

Ohhhhhh myyyyyy gooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddddd

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Am I the only one who finds it vaguely amusing that they made a season of Lupin that takes place in Italy and was aired first in Italy solely because of how popular it is there?

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
It was paid for by Italy, so not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

FortMax posted:

It was paid for by Italy, so not really.

That's how much Italy loves Lupin.

• Locked thread