Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Ok some news to temper the "what if" discussions:

Oregon standoff: Harney County won't host community meeting with Bundy as headliner

quote:

Harney County has told an Ammon Bundy-affiliated group of locals that it can't hold a planned community meeting at the county-owned fairgrounds.

The location for the meeting has become a wedge between the Harney County Committee of Safety and the county government, once loosely allied in their desire for Bundy to leave town.

Months before Malheur occupation, another Oregon land dispute galvanized militants

quote:

What's unfolding in Harney County isn't Oregon's first go-round with camouflaged, heavily armed militants challenging the federal government.
Oregon's first serious encounter happened last April. It played out in rural Josephine County in southwestern Oregon, in a mountainous stretch of timber country along the Rogue River.

Many of the same players have shown up at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. Two are among the compound's occupiers.

The Sugar Pine Mine dispute started when two gold miners, Rick Barclay and George Backes, received a non-compliance letter from the Bureau of Land Management that disputed their mining rights.

So those of us who have been saying "This is Bundy 2: Electric Boogaloo" are wrong. This a trilogy. Oregon specific SovCit's and BLM jumpers are also part of this. The hands off approach, where by the Feds take so long to respond to these guys, really doesn't look like a good plan. I understand the Hutaree example, but standing back and taking years to bring cases against these guys is really not helping the situation it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I love the Pete Santilli chat

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No lives matter.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

McDowell posted:

No lives matter.

:agreed:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcvuidr3Jdc
"It is not me that are making all these amazing things happening. It is the Lord."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

As a Millennial I posted:

I love the Pete Santilli chat

it's really a slowly scrolling timeline of the craziest things you've ever heard

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The news has really been dropping the ball on the mormon and sovcit angles on this thing imo. I believe these guys to be way more dangerous than I first thought after hearing more about those motivations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The news has really been dropping the ball on the mormon and sovcit angles on this thing imo. I believe these guys to be way more dangerous than I first thought after hearing more about those motivations.

NPR talked about the whole "Captain Moroni" thing about a week ago. Mostly in the context of horrified mainstream Mormons trying to distance themselves from these kooks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A Winner is Jew posted:

Idiots are dead and I won't shed a tear for them because it would be a waste of my valuable time.

Also, the only people in that compound that are innocent are the kids... so aim high?

So if the militants were to take hostages to use as bullet shields in response to an impending raid those people wouldn't be innocent? How about if they start going door to door sacking the town to makeup for supply losses due to blockade of roads?

Who What Now posted:

So for those who want the government to do nothing to impede these people, if this escalated to the occupiers shooting a half a dozen cops what will be your responses? I'm assuming that they should have been contained and arrested prior to that point will be a main topic point if this ends in murder.

I don't recall saying the government should do nothing. This would be like claiming the US is doing nothing to impede ISIS in Syria by not bombing and invading Raqqa. There is certainly a plan to stop the militants. However they haven't started doing anything that would require deadly force as the only reasonable option. But please, tell me, If you were in the hot seat what would you do to impede the militants?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 14, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LeoMarr posted:

So if the militants were to take hostages to use as bullet shields in response to an impending raid those people wouldn't be innocent? How about if they start going door to door sacking the town to makeup for supply losses due to blockade of roads?

So wait, you're fully allowing that these people are terrorists but are content to let them do as they please?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al! posted:

"Because they're crazy" isn't an answer.

Yes it is. Go watch that Florida police video where the teenager gets out an assault rifle and guns down two cops, making sure to shoot them when they're down. Or the two who went from the Bundy ranch to go kill a cop in Las Vegas. Those are the kind of person doing this, and they're not only congregating in the refuge, they're patrolling the town with their weapons and scaring the hell out of its inhabitants. They're stalking government employees and their relatives. They've literally talked about lynching the sheriff. These people are a risk to both the people of Burns and themselves, and giving them free run of the town is massively irresponsible.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LeoMarr posted:

If they did that then say goodbye to literally any ounce of credibility they might still have even after they got massacred... but I'll take retarded hypotheticals for $1000 next Alex.

Roland Jones posted:

Yes it is. Go watch that Florida police video where the teenager gets out an assault rifle and guns down two cops, making sure to shoot them when they're down. Or the two who went from the Bundy ranch to go kill a cop in Las Vegas. Those are the kind of person doing this, and they're not only congregating in the refuge, they're patrolling the town with their weapons and scaring the hell out of its inhabitants. They're stalking government employees and their relatives. They've literally talked about lynching the sheriff. These people are a risk to both the people of Burns and themselves, and giving them free run of the town is massively irresponsible.

This. Baby jesus buttplug this.

They should be locked up for being a danger to themselves and the community, not given carte blanche access to firearms, supplies, and potential hostages just because they're middle class and white and arresting them might make the feds look bad to people that agree with them when literally everything the feds do makes them look bad in their eyes.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 14, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The militants are sacking the town for supplies! And the closest legion is months away, powerless to respond! And it's winter, how will we ever get these oxcarts over the mountain passes?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeoMarr posted:

Shoot them.

quote:

I don't recall saying the government should do nothing. This would be like claiming the US is doing nothing to impede ISIS in Syria by not bombing and invading Raqqa. There is certainly a plan to stop the militants. However they haven't started doing anything that would require deadly force as the only reasonable option. But please, tell me, If you were in the hot seat what would you do to impede the militants?

Blockade them in, regardless of the effort required and monetary cost to do so, and if they want to destroy their vehicles driving through the fields ok, and if they want to attack the blockades they would be put down. I give literally no fucks about this being seen as another WACO.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Roland Jones posted:

SovCits ARE dangerous to certain government officials, and I believe that they've upped security for the sheriff and several other people.

We've also heard absolutely nothing about what's going on with the harassment for the past few days, maybe the local police have got a lid on it, maybe not

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Roland Jones posted:

Pulling over a sovcit

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Who What Now posted:

I give literally no fucks about this being seen as another WACO.
yeah, it would be real great if we inspired another Oklahoma City Bombing

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I know this was suppose to be sarcasm but it's actually spot on. If lower class black men won't be treated as middle class white men by the justice system then middle class white men really should be treated as lower class black men.

Absolutely this. This would be the quickest way to enact police reform. Especially if you add rich whites to it.

I won't hold my breath.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

theflyingorc posted:

Why are we catering to what crazy people will do again? I mean, I understand mitigating risk, but with logic like that I hope you don't drive a car.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

Actually, while the loss of life that occurred that day was tragic it caused a massive plummet of membership among militias across the US.

Plus, it might actually cause congress to put resources into tracking right wing extremism instead of pulling funding from it like they did recently.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Just to confirm, the person who has literally led a successful siege to take down radical militants says that this strategy is not required to handle the current situation, and you disagree with him, and are using his example as an argument in favor of your point of view.

You are utterly incapable of reading, aren't you?

I'm using his example as an argument against your and others assertion that a blockade or a siege or whatever you'd like to call it, in which feds, quote, 'isolate and contain' these assholes, inevitably will lead to a bloodbath so gosh we just can't do anything about it, better ignore them while they terrorize a town and show their buddies across the country that these are things that won't even get more than some stern words from law enforcement.

I disagree with him on whether or not this particular situation here has reached the point at which such action should be taken. He at no point says that such action is bad and should not be taken ever, and in fact states exactly the opposite, that if the situation escalates to a certain point (and again, I disagree with him on what that point is, but we both agree that point exists) that the Feds should do something similar to what he did to successfully end that confrontation without violence.

It sounds like he isn't fully aware of all the events going on over there, and this statement was, notably, made before the harassment stories started coming out in force. That is to say, both he and the other guy interviewed sound like they think these guys are just hanging out at the refuge not doing anything, rather than constantly going into town. I don't know, since I'm not in his head. But I can disagree with someone on one thing and agree with them on another, how is that hard to understand?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
For Christ's sake, is there another thread somewhere where I can read about these idiots doing stupid things without page upon page of you idiots trolling each other and posting the stupidest loving poo poo imaginable? Because I want that thread instead.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

As a Millennial I posted:

Stay strong against those federal occupiers who are highly intimidating you, fellow patriots

We took over a public building and now they have closed off other nearby public buildings. This is completely unreasonable!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Actually, while the loss of life that occurred that day was tragic it caused a massive plummet of membership among militias across the US.

Plus, it might actually cause congress to put resources into tracking right wing extremism instead of pulling funding from it like they did recently.

I doubt it. They won't risk angering their base, which support these militias in everything but tactics.

az
Dec 2, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Better not do anything ever in case stuff happens concludes society.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theflyingorc posted:

So according to you, we can't ever know what the occupiers are going to do, but if they even get so much as a hang nail then it is a foregone and unavoidable conclusion that all the militias in the nation will simultaneously rise up and start Civil War 2. Got it, great.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Waco it ain't but don't pretend this would be the same situation if the Paiute tribe stormed the place with no guns.

Also keep in mind they have children mixed in with armed men who told newspapers slavery never happened and that they honestly expect an attack at any moment, they're in danger no matter how patriotic and heroic these guys are.

I'm not pretending anything. it's the same sensationalism as describing someone being "shot to death" by one gunshot.

oh my, they have children there mixed with armed men blah blah blah as opposed to being at home mixed with armed men blah blah blah. Same situation, different location.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

"Let's think about this and see where it goes so we can end the situation without causing undue harm before we cause something worse"

"WOW YOU JUST WANT TO DO NOTHING AND LET THESE TERRORISTS TAKE OVER THE COUNTRY YOU MONGREL"

this thread

Some of the problems with this is not everyone realises how loving nuts SovCits are. They literally will start a firefight with the feds who setup a roadblock They won't drop their guns and flee. They will attempt to fight their way out. They aren't going to give up and will probably fight until the last insane man. Some will flee yes, but the devout ones will fight to the last. And they are very willing to take hostages to further their goals. SovCits believe they are allowed to kill who they believe to be tyrants, drum up some magic sovcitshit and get out of it. They have killed LEOs in "Self Defence" AKA getting pulled over for not registering a car.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Roland Jones posted:

A few psychos mixed in a bunch of chicken shits. I'd like to know if this is every last one of them why they all didn't do likewise.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

theflyingorc posted:

If this were going to happen, it would have already, as the kind of crazies likely to do this have believed they were on the verge of civil war for YEARS now. OKC was the worst thing to happen for militias and is the reason why there hasn't been a similar attack since then. And if it did happen, it would be the end of the legitimacy of right winged militias. This isn't the mid 90's. Modern media and social media would bury the militias. Also see how angry many militias were when this initially started. Everyone was saying "lol these guys took an empty park shed" but other militia groups were quickly trying to distance themselves because they felt it was going to be a toxic situation. OF course, now that it has been allowed to fester, support is starting to trickle in, but the immediate response was to back away from it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LeoMarr posted:

"Let's think about this and see where it goes so we can end the situation without causing undue harm before we cause something worse"

"WOW YOU JUST WANT TO DO NOTHING AND LET THESE TERRORISTS TAKE OVER THE COUNTRY YOU MONGREL"

this thread

Some of the problems with this is not everyone realises how loving nuts SovCits are. They literally will start a firefight with the feds who setup a roadblock They won't drop their guns and flee. They will attempt to fight their way out. They aren't going to give up and will probably fight until the last insane man. Some will flee yes, but the devout ones will fight to the last. And they are very willing to take hostages to further their goals. SovCits believe they are allowed to kill who they believe to be tyrants, drum up some magic sovcitshit and get out of it. They have killed LEOs in "Self Defence" AKA getting pulled over for not registering a car.

All the more reason to rub them out.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

SocketWrench posted:

it's the same sensationalism as describing someone being "shot to death" by one gunshot.

Huh?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

kartikeya posted:

You are utterly incapable of reading, aren't you?

I'm using his example as an argument against your and others assertion that a blockade or a siege or whatever you'd like to call it, in which feds, quote, 'isolate and contain' these assholes, inevitably will lead to a bloodbath so gosh we just can't do anything about it, better ignore them while they terrorize a town and show their buddies across the country that these are things that won't even get more than some stern words from law enforcement.

I disagree with him on whether or not this particular situation here has reached the point at which such action should be taken. He at no point says that such action is bad and should not be taken ever, and in fact states exactly the opposite, that if the situation escalates to a certain point (and again, I disagree with him on what that point is, but we both agree that point exists) that the Feds should do something similar to what he did to successfully end that confrontation without violence.

It sounds like he isn't fully aware of all the events going on over there, and this statement was, notably, made before the harassment stories started coming out in force. That is to say, both he and the other guy interviewed sound like they think these guys are just hanging out at the refuge not doing anything, rather than constantly going into town. I don't know, since I'm not in his head. But I can disagree with someone on one thing and agree with them on another, how is that hard to understand?

person who did X says don't do X, therefore, we can all agree that doing X is awesome

I can read everything you're saying, but you're twisting logic to its breaking point.

Furthermore, the fringe religious group he was against was a radically different situation:

quote:

Inside his house,Ellison was said to have hidden thirty to forty pounds of C-4 plastic explosives and a .90-caliberautomatic weapon.
Also hidden on the property were another two-hundred pounds of C-4 and C-3 explosives, hundreds of assault rifles, unlimited quantities of ammunition, infrared night-vision devices, various types of hand grenades, four anti-aircraft weapons, and a military rocketlauncher with a C-4 hand grenade in place and ready to firea weapon capable of destroying anarmored personnel carrier.
Claymore mines surrounded the camp, sources said, and the trees were rigged with trip wires and booby traps.

They were actively planning mass terror attacks, and had acquired cyanide to randomly put into city water supplies. Not going after them would be like knowing about the Paris Terror attacks and doing nothing, it's a far cry from "they're unbalanced and a situation might get somewhat overheated and a person might get shot"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Don't want to cause another OKC bombing, better let the crazies with guns make 20 more facebook video posts to their crazy friends about how they saw gov't robot deer spying on their besieged compound and the super secret coded PDF they found on BLM computers about the coming FEMA genocide squads.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wanna know how batshit these people are? Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyy9Vns4Ias
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InTr2i3JqEE

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

LeoMarr posted:

this thread

To be fair, it seems that some people feel that the strategy itself is wrong to the extent that not acting immediately is itself creating a more dangerous situation. I don't think that's right, but that's where (some of) the urgency comes from.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SocketWrench posted:

I'm not pretending anything. it's the same sensationalism as describing someone being "shot to death" by one gunshot.

oh my, they have children there mixed with armed men blah blah blah as opposed to being at home mixed with armed men blah blah blah. Same situation, different location.

1. Wtf?

2. Not at all the same situation

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ToastyPotato posted:

If this were going to happen, it would have already, as the kind of crazies likely to do this have believed they were on the verge of civil war for YEARS now. OKC was the worst thing to happen for militias and is the reason why there hasn't been a similar attack since then. And if it did happen, it would be the end of the legitimacy of right winged militias. This isn't the mid 90's. Modern media and social media would bury the militias. Also see how angry many militias were when this initially started. Everyone was saying "lol these guys took an empty park shed" but other militia groups were quickly trying to distance themselves because they felt it was going to be a toxic situation. OF course, now that it has been allowed to fester, support is starting to trickle in, but the immediate response was to back away from it.

what in the hell does media support have to do with people like mcveigh? mcveigh saw Waco and retaliated with the help of one other person.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I agree.
News Media should say 'the victim died like a pussy as it only took one little hole to dead him'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
video stream is live, nothing happening yet

• Locked thread