Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Clockwerk posted:

the extensiveness of those rules suck the fun out of office pools, which exist solely to give a dozen or so people an excuse to shoot the poo poo for two days straight about what they'd do with fygm kind of money, while contributing absolutely zero productivity to their current employer.

Don't worry, we have the zero productivity thing down just fine. Even my mgr was talking poo poo all day yesterday about getting the f out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://unitedmediapublishing.com/27-year-old-hedge-fund-manager-wins-powerball-jackpot/

quote:

Lottery officials are pleased to announce this evening that a winner has been announced in Wednesday night’s drawing. That lucky person is 27-year-old hedge fund manager Jared Price from Chino Hills, California, a suburb of Los Angeles.

lol the absolute worst kind of person won it

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

or best, depending on your perspective :v:

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

my internet tells me that story was published 13 hours ago, which would have been before the drawing took place.

it also seems that somebody who knows money as well as a hedge fund manager would be the last guy to blab about it without giving it some careful consideration first.

e: or drat maybe since he's used to that kind of money he already knows what's up and it's no big deal idk

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

haha good for him

people that buy the lotto are the worst and they deserve to lose in more interesting ways like maybe there should be two drawings, one for the money and for the other the winner is killed

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Site doesn't load, is reportedly a "satire" Onion rip-off site, you people are dumb. :shrug:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

California is required to release the name so I look forward to following the bloodsport that the winner's life now is.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone should just play a lot of poker

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lol there's no hedge fund managers in chino hills. There's no financial headquarters for 30 miles and any hedge fund managers are living along the coast anyways

Chino hills is just a bunch of Asian middle managers anyways.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

kindermord posted:

somebody who knows money as well as a hedge fund manager

loving lmao

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

JakeP posted:

loving lmao

I mean, it's not true but there's nobody I would trust more to mismanage and lose hundreds of millions of dollars that never should've been in their hands in the first place

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think in this situation it is appropriate to eat the rich so to speak.

Also most hedge fund managers are dumb fucks who only got there by having connections. Like 80%+ probably. In general they are no better at picking investments than random luck would be.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 14, 2016

cracker
May 12, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The one sold in TN was at the grocery store about a mile from my mom's house. Good chance I know them since pretty much only people that still shop there have lived close by forever. everyone else goes to the newer Kroger like 2 miles away.

I'm going to reactivate my Facebook and brush up on my begging skills.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I already posted the chino hills winner's Twitter account

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

gary oldmans diary posted:

dude just buying 1 ticket gives me infinity times better odds of winning than if i didnt buy a ticket
positive infinite even

It's possible a lottery ticket could be blown by the wind right into your hands.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made a lotto number generator because I don't trust the government to not gently caress me in the rear end!!! Also I feel like random numbers I make up aren't randomy enough.

http://pastebin.com/zR5eRfYe

Also I was curious about python's random library and random number generators in general.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

soy posted:

I made a lotto number generator because I don't trust the government to not gently caress me in the rear end!!!

Also I was curious about python's random library and random number generators in general.

I was assuming this would be ASCII goatse and was honestly surprised when it wasn't

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hardawn posted:

I already posted the chino hills winner's Twitter account

that's a fake account capitalizing on a photoshopped image you moron

i already posted what a 1 line ticket in CA looks like

FCKGW posted:

This is what a single line ticket looks like

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

JakeP posted:

loving lmao

well obviously they don't understand money as well as students of intersectional marxist gender theory, but those folks are busy posting in d&d and welp somebody has to attempt actual money management, even if they are woefully inadequate compared to the likes of sedan chair and effectronica.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

soy posted:

I made a lotto number generator because I don't trust the government to not gently caress me in the rear end!!! Also I feel like random numbers I make up aren't randomy enough.

Pythons random number generator, as well as all of its math functions, then to be on the weak side. It basically creates a rather static and non complicated seed base on clock time of the system on run time and really fails to change as it goes on. You'll get the same numbers if you start on certain seconds which is kinda lame. Usually you'll need more complicated modifications or modifying the default code with something more erratic to replace the seed, like soy did.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Use os.urandom. On Windows it uses CryptGenRandom and on Linux and OSX it uses /dev/urandom.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nullEntityRNG posted:

Pythons random number generator, as well as all of its math functions, then to be on the weak side. It basically creates a rather static and non complicated seed base on clock time of the system on run time and really fails to change as it goes on. You'll get the same numbers if you start on certain seconds which is kinda lame. Usually you'll need more complicated modifications or modifying the default code with something more erratic to replace the seed, like soy did.

Yeah I'm just hashing based on a seed the user provides. Obviously though you could easily pipe a hardware RNG output to seed into this to get "true random" but even that is deterministic unless you believe loving nihilist German quantum theorist scum. Unless you can figure out the exact setup the lotto uses to do their RNG it's probably pointless and anyways, you should just steal their code entirely at that point.

Also I upgraded the script to provide large sets of non-repeating tickets because this is way more fun than actually doing work:

http://pastebin.com/Fxbqctzf

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

soy posted:

And gets sued to poo poo, as has happened.

There have been several instances where the person who bought the ticket refused to share it with anyone, even those who contributed to the pool. It went solely to the person who bought it. Never underestimate the way people will become low on morals when it comes time to splitting up millions they were just handed.

There was a similar story I saw on TV about a waitress who refused to split it with her coworkers even though they all bought and received tickets together. They sued her and lost. I wish I could find the video on YouTube. It was in some hick town and the ex waitress bought this huge mansion that you could literally see from the small diner. Like it was there to taunt them.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Germstore posted:

Use os.urandom. On Windows it uses CryptGenRandom and on Linux and OSX it uses /dev/urandom.

That just gets a random string of bytes, kinda neat but I like the idea of a 1 to 1 mapping between a hash the user provides and the output. It's kinda like using your birthday and shoe size except you actually end up with numbers above 31.

naem
May 29, 2011

If you have enough million dollars you relocate and start a new life, why stay in the sticks idgi

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

naem posted:

If you have enough million dollars you relocate and start a new life, why stay in the sticks idgi

The same reason people live in the sticks at all, they have small minds.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

soy posted:

The same reason people live in the sticks at all, they have small minds.

:rolleyes:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Clockwerk posted:

...office pools, which exist solely to give a dozen or so people an excuse to shoot the poo poo for two days straight about what they'd do with fygm kind of money, while contributing absolutely zero productivity to their current employer.

Its like you brought a camera into my office and wrote about what you saw.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

naem posted:

Just travel to fancy places, go only to the ritzy parts of the city, then come home to your country homestead in a flyover state where you won't get shot and robbed for walking home down the wrong street.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

A Man and his dog posted:

Hopefully not. The public should be allowed to see these people.

lol how jealous.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Im a bit disappointed we dont have winners yet too though. I want to see some awful people suddenly reach :)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I already predicted a Florida winner.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here I generated some numbers for you guys for next time:

$ python lotto.py "gently caress your face in hell you piss cum" 100
44 55 31 53 62 special: 4
18 30 65 57 16 special: 11
50 42 39 48 24 special: 9
33 45 43 41 58 special: 15
4 36 34 49 23 special: 25
63 38 46 59 35 special: 3
60 69 52 26 1 special: 24
37 40 13 29 61 special: 1
27 10 28 9 12 special: 12
66 11 3 15 2 special: 5
51 56 20 68 22 special: 21
7 64 25 5 21 special: 8
19 8 54 67 14 special: 2
impossibru!
maximal numerage achieved sir!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

soy posted:

Here I generated some numbers for you guys for next time:

$ python lotto.py "gently caress your face in hell you piss cum" 100
44 55 31 53 62 special: 4
18 30 65 57 16 special: 11
50 42 39 48 24 special: 9
33 45 43 41 58 special: 15
4 36 34 49 23 special: 25
63 38 46 59 35 special: 3
60 69 52 26 1 special: 24
37 40 13 29 61 special: 1
27 10 28 9 12 special: 12
66 11 3 15 2 special: 5
51 56 20 68 22 special: 21
7 64 25 5 21 special: 8
19 8 54 67 14 special: 2
impossibru!
maximal numerage achieved sir!

Okay, NOW I understand why a seed is a necessary feature.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
protip: just pick the same number for special because then there's at least a 1/25 chance of getting a refund. Also when you do pick the right special number you have a cum explosion because you kinda feel like there's a chance.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Meydey posted:

I have run our office pool a few times here.
1) Make a list as each person gives there $$, make them sign next to their name.
2) Have a rules sheet that says:
- Who signs the winning ticket (Usually person collecting)
- That it will be lump sum payout, that a lawyer will be used to create an llc/whatever to claim
- That each person entering is responsible for their own taxes, etc
3) Set a firm deadline for $$
4) After ticket purchase, but before the draw, scan all tickets and email to all people on the list
5) Talk poo poo to anyone who did not play (gonna be getting all my work tomorrow when I say I am out of here, you can have my cubicle)

We have not even come close to winning so I do not know if these rules work or whatever

drat dude really

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

quote:

POMONA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Pomona nurse won the record-breaking Powerball jackpot with a ticket given to her by her boss.

The 62-year-old woman is a senior registered nurse at Park Avenue Health Care and Wellness Center in Pomona, according to a spokesperson for nursing home owner Shlomo Rechnitz.

Rechnitz bought 18,000 tickets for his employees and residents at 80 nursing homes across California. Rechnitz distributed 600 tickets at the Park Avenue Health Care and Wellness Center.

The winning ticket was purchased at a 7-Eleven in Chino Hills.

The spokesperson told ABC7 the nurse was unaware she'd won until her son sent her a picture of the ticket over the phone.

Even though the nurse knew she'd won, the spokesperson said she still finished her shift before going home.

The nurse is married and has seven children, six of whom are also nurses.

Lol, gently caress all you "rich getting richer" dumbfucks. Jewish business owner buys tickets for all his employees and patrons and one of workers wins it big. Literally the nicest outcome that could have happened.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

My posts, but in the voice of the yospos guy who's mad online in this thread

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Literally the nicest outcome that could have happened.

That actually made me smile, better her than me or any of the chucklefucks in this thread who'd spend it all on exotic hookers and nerdy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you don't know that's not what she's going to do

• Locked thread