Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jungn
Mar 19, 2012

milkaxor posted:

Exactly. If you don't want to setup a folder share, you can also use direct streaming through your browser. It is pretty cool.

I have been unsuccessful in getting VLC working. I have made attempts to connect to both my NAS and a shared folder on a computer via SMB and whenever I hit login or save all I see is "Empty Folder". Anyone else experience this and have a workaround?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That sounds useful. I have that other app that uses smb and afp shares but didn't get the best results from it for some reason. It was only a quick test, mind. Plex is my most needed and I've got that setup, but it's useful to have something that can do whatever random crap I've downloaded locally.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
VLC seems good enough for a free solution. Infuse seems like a better option to me, since it auto-downloads metadata and generally seems nicer.

Hopefully tvOS 9.2 with bluetooth keyboard support means Provenance will support more controllers (e.g. iCade compatible ones).

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I know this thread is mostly about the 4th Gen Apple TV but I've just been given a 3rd Gen and hope to get the most out of it, primarily I wanted it to mirror my iMac to use some streaming services that I can only access via web browser (Shudder/Full moon as wll as Amazon Prime etc).
It also sounds like it will make a good backup for playing Netflix/WWE Network in case my ps3 craps out (I recently brought it back from a YLOD death).

Am i right in saying that Plex works on the 3rd generation? I've never used Plex and have been using Kodi on a Raspberry Pi as my main media center for files kept on an external hard drive but if Plex is an option then I may go for that as transferring files to the Pi from the Mac Wirelessly is incredibly hit or miss.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Look up PlexConnect. Bit of an arse to get setup, but stable and the data fits into the Apple TV quite nicely.

Lasalas
Feb 26, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

VLC seems good enough for a free solution. Infuse seems like a better option to me, since it auto-downloads metadata and generally seems nicer.

Seconding this, with the addition that infuse is far more convenient if you have a NAS, etc.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I got my atv4 right as plex for xbone went free. I guess it'll be nice when I have my own place and another tv but for now I have too many devices that do the same thing and it's kind of annoying. :(

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Errrrgh, I'm not sold on this ATV3 yet I got it all set up and Airplay is pretty poor over Wifi, if I try and play video from a streaming website in a browser it just stutters, I thought I'd try connecting via Ethernet but the drat thing won't detect the cable.
I know the cable is fine as it was working no problem with another device, I've tried Restoring it to factory by connecting it to itunes but no luck, so far its seeming like I wasted my money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Laserface posted:

I got my atv4 right as plex for xbone went free. I guess it'll be nice when I have my own place and another tv but for now I have too many devices that do the same thing and it's kind of annoying. :(

The Plex app on Xbox is super terrible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that Pluto app working for people? It just kicks me back to the main menu after the logo. Might be because I've not got my US DNS in place yet though.

9foxtails
Jan 13, 2016
I just found something great on the new apple tv. If you have a Netflix subscription and you look on the apple store to rent something, it will let you know you can play it there versus paying for it. Who knew Apple was this honest?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Maybe you guys could recommend an app for me. I'd like to play music videos in the background. Is there an app that will shuffle based on year/genre/ect? I guess Vevo kind of does this but I'm looking for older stuff.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Gaz2k21 posted:

I know this thread is mostly about the 4th Gen Apple TV but I've just been given a 3rd Gen and hope to get the most out of it, primarily I wanted it to mirror my iMac to use some streaming services that I can only access via web browser (Shudder/Full moon as wll as Amazon Prime etc).
It also sounds like it will make a good backup for playing Netflix/WWE Network in case my ps3 craps out (I recently brought it back from a YLOD death).

Am i right in saying that Plex works on the 3rd generation? I've never used Plex and have been using Kodi on a Raspberry Pi as my main media center for files kept on an external hard drive but if Plex is an option then I may go for that as transferring files to the Pi from the Mac Wirelessly is incredibly hit or miss.

I'm a plex fanboy and it's the big reason I bougth a 4th gen, but if you're used to using a mac to stream poo poo to your TV, check out Beamer. It worked great with the 3rd gen atv for me, and can transcode just about everything I ever watched.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Gaz2k21 posted:

Errrrgh, I'm not sold on this ATV3 yet I got it all set up and Airplay is pretty poor over Wifi, if I try and play video from a streaming website in a browser it just stutters, I thought I'd try connecting via Ethernet but the drat thing won't detect the cable.
I know the cable is fine as it was working no problem with another device, I've tried Restoring it to factory by connecting it to itunes but no luck, so far its seeming like I wasted my money.

One thing the ATV3 does poorly is streaming and especially mirroring from a Mac. It's usually very responsive on mirroring from my iPad, but it lags like hell with my computer.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Duckman2008 posted:

One thing the ATV3 does poorly is streaming and especially mirroring from a Mac. It's usually very responsive on mirroring from my iPad, but it lags like hell with my computer.

I've actually now got it working flawlessly the only problem is I have to turn off Bluetooth on my Mac, this is problematic as I can't use my mouse/keyboard and was hoping to be able to browse webpages on my TV.

I don't suppose anyone has any good recommendations for iPhone apps that could be used as a touchpad/keyboard or perhaps a wireless keyboard and mouse that doesn't use Bluetooth.

I'll have a look into Beamer thanks for the reccomendation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gaz2k21 posted:

I don't suppose anyone has any good recommendations for iPhone apps that could be used as a touchpad/keyboard or perhaps a wireless keyboard and mouse that doesn't use Bluetooth.

Remote.app works for me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Subjunctive posted:

Remote.app works for me.

I think he means for OS X.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mediaphage posted:

I think he means for OS X.

Oh, like a VNC client running on the iPhone and driving the Mac?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wish the YouTube app would have something meaningful in the banner area if you put it in your top row. It just has a big graphic now.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004
Is there a correct order to turn my AV system on in to get the ATV 4 remote to control my receiver's volume? It works a lot of the time (controlling the receiver it's connected to) but sometimes it just controls the TVs volume (which is set to 0 as all audio comes through my amp).

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I just use the apple remote, but both my tv and receiver accept cec commands. To start them I just single press the top right monitor button. To turn off I hold it until "sleep?" Comes up and press the touchpad.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

mikul posted:

Is there a correct order to turn my AV system on in to get the ATV 4 remote to control my receiver's volume? It works a lot of the time (controlling the receiver it's connected to) but sometimes it just controls the TVs volume (which is set to 0 as all audio comes through my amp).

I believe there is a setting to change from "auto" to "receiver" or something like that. Although there may be a difference here depending on IR or CEC control.

---

I'm slowly working on reverse-engineering the way the AppleTV IP control works using Wireshark and port mirroring. I've gotten the pairing process down (thanks to the little info on the web), and most of the controls working. Just can't figure out the up/down/left/right commands now that they are all swipes. The regular commands use http POST requests, the gesture pad though just streams tcp packets (likely coordinates), but I can't figure out the pattern. I'm slowly building a C# module I can drop into my AV control processor so it can all be controlled by that over IP.

The sane thing to do would be to use an IR bug or just use the included Apple remote. But I'm hoping to find find even more functionality in the IP protocol like current playing info. The holy grail would be a list of installed apps and ability to discretely launch them...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I trained my appleTV remote to control my speakers (powered monitors) and it works fine, but would be nice if it didnt boot the appleTV up every time I use it to adjust the volume.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
How's the state of gaming on these things now? Are there any legit games or does it feel like you're just playing a mobile game on a big screen?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Laserface posted:

I trained my appleTV remote to control my speakers (powered monitors) and it works fine, but would be nice if it didnt boot the appleTV up every time I use it to adjust the volume.

My other CEC devices don't switch inputs on remote volume change so maybe it's a bug or option they could add later?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

No the volume controls is trained IR blasting into the remote itself. I use CEC but there is no HDMI connection to my speakers.

So it would be nice to enable/disable the Apple TV accepting the IR signals for volume changing so it continues to sleep when I decide to use its remote to up the volume when I'm listening to music on another device. (It's remote has a much wider come of effect than the monitors included remote)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Jose Oquendo posted:

How's the state of gaming on these things now? Are there any legit games or does it feel like you're just playing a mobile game on a big screen?

It's garbage. There might be a few good games like Transistor, but they run poorly and you're better off getting those games on something else.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So this is where Lowtax hides his Apple TV thread.

I recently got myself an Apple TV generation 4. I'm struggling to find a way to pipe the sound through my decidedly analog 20 year old NAD amplifier. I tried going through my TV's headphone out port, but that gave me a terrible feedback loop.

Yesterday, I got an idea: I have a spare Apple Airport Express sitting around, doing nothing. Could this be used as an Airplay "thingie", streaming the audio from the Apple TV to that? How would the topology look? I could run wired ethernet between the Apple TV and the Airport Express. Unfortunately, I don't have an ethernet outlet near the setup, so it needs to go over Wifi eventually.

Thoughts?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bolind posted:

So this is where Lowtax hides his Apple TV thread.

I recently got myself an Apple TV generation 4. I'm struggling to find a way to pipe the sound through my decidedly analog 20 year old NAD amplifier. I tried going through my TV's headphone out port, but that gave me a terrible feedback loop.

Yesterday, I got an idea: I have a spare Apple Airport Express sitting around, doing nothing. Could this be used as an Airplay "thingie", streaming the audio from the Apple TV to that? How would the topology look? I could run wired ethernet between the Apple TV and the Airport Express. Unfortunately, I don't have an ethernet outlet near the setup, so it needs to go over Wifi eventually.

Thoughts?

The latency would be crazy bad for audio most likely. In that I mean everything will look like a cheaply dubbed foreign movie with sound being out of synch.

Your best bet is to buy a $30 splitter box on Amazon that will pull the audio stream out of the HDMI signal.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm trying to work out why you'd get a feedback loop from the TVs headphone socket. That's how I've always connected my amp to the Apple TV (either line out or headphone out, depending on the TV) and never had that issue.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just run RCA out into my powered monitors from the TV.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
My TV has optical passthrough; it can passthrough AC3 and DTS but not uncompressed 5 channel PCM. Have you checked to see if your TV/Receiver have optical interconnects?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

flosofl posted:

The latency would be crazy bad for audio most likely. In that I mean everything will look like a cheaply dubbed foreign movie with sound being out of synch.

Your best bet is to buy a $30 splitter box on Amazon that will pull the audio stream out of the HDMI signal.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072

Crap. Forgot about the latency.

I know about the HDMI audio splitter thingies. Might end up going down that route.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm trying to work out why you'd get a feedback loop from the TVs headphone socket. That's how I've always connected my amp to the Apple TV (either line out or headphone out, depending on the TV) and never had that issue.

It came and went with plugging/unplugging the HDMI cable between the ATV and the TV. No ground connector on either the ATV or the TV's power cords.

kefkafloyd posted:

My TV has optical passthrough; it can passthrough AC3 and DTS but not uncompressed 5 channel PCM. Have you checked to see if your TV/Receiver have optical interconnects?

I think the TV has toslink out, but the amplifier is fully analog. It's a NAD 317.

I'm not particularly married to that amp at all. I'm just a cheap basterd.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Is there a way to browse the tvOS app store or see what apps you already have are supported by tvOS? I haven't gotten an ATV4 yet, but I'd love to see what is and isn't available on the platform.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

choobs posted:

Is there a way to browse the tvOS app store or see what apps you already have are supported by tvOS? I haven't gotten an ATV4 yet, but I'd love to see what is and isn't available on the platform.

The only way I know of is with an actual AppleTV. The iOS apps that were also available as tvOS apps just magically appeared in my "purchased" section in the App Store.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah I look on the App Store all the time wishing they'd add it to the "Devices Supported:" :(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You know what the major exceptions because everyone's talked about them a lot. I feel it's like 40% caught up to Roku, and the 60% is oddball niche stuff you probably don't want.

We're at the point where there's an app in the store for a shitload of US network affiliates and their local news.

The only uniquely interesting things are some ports of iOS apps that are hit and miss (I wouldn't use GrubHub on Apple TV, after exploring it), the games which are generally bad, etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A lot of the apps are shockingly lazy right now - TripAdvisor and Air BnB are horrendous wastes of time - but with some effort, I can't wait to see some services get the proper treatment.

There's a lot of apps that are essentially ports of their original Apple TV apps, which I hope are being worked on.

The system has solid fundamentals, the OS will improve bit by bit, but it's on the developers to make use of what they're given. The amount of times I see awesome sounding APIs and tech at WWDC which then go largely ignored by devs is frustrating.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Right now, all I could ask for is:
- Starz
- Cartoon Network / Adult Swim
- Amazon Prime

Otherwise, it's a killer, killer box and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One thing that should be noted is it does a very nice job at rendering subtitles (presuming Plex uses the defaults anyway). White on a slightly transparent dark background is really readable. Sometimes I've given up on media players because I simply can't read the subtitles when there's very bright scenes. Could do with a bit of padding to the left and right because the first and last character touch the very edges of the background, but that's an incredibly minor complaint.