Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

homullus posted:

"These beings with alien physiology, explicitly able to do things humans cannot (e.g. Podrace), do not act the way humans do IRL! THIS MOVIE R DUM!"
Humans can podrace. Did you...watch the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

Humans can podrace. Did you...watch the movie?

Normal humans can never podrace, our reflexes are too slow. Anakin is a very rare exception.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Normal humans can never podrace, our reflexes are too slow. Anakin is a very rare exception.

Which he says, very directly. You could say we watched the movie. And paid attention to the dialogue.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Humans cannot pod race. We're allowed to have 1.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

So Koreans don't exist in Star Wars? :(

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

It doesn't really matter if it's possible that the alien had some weird alien difference that made it not react as a human would expect because 'weird aliens who do not react as a human would expect' are not the audience of the movie. The aliens in the movie are weirdo aliens who do things weirdly but they still at some point must have something that humans would be empathetical towards or it the viewer would not be affected by it. You could make a case towards the intention of the Tatooine aliens' reactions (or lack thereof) but it falls flat to most viewers and would just come off as bad acting by not having any reactions. Also it doesn't make as much sense when it's not just the one planet of weirdo aliens but three movies for a combined 7 hours where even the human actors don't seem to react to any CG.

And furthermore, I thought the podrace scene was not only the best scene of TPM, but also a genuinely entertaining scene -- as opposed to the rest of the movie!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Anakin is a human and he podraces. Therefore, humans can podrace. Hell, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are also human, but they could do it too. No matter how far down this semantic pisshole we go, it'll still come out the same. :buddy:

I'm not even sure what point it would prove if humans couldn't podrace? The idea that CGI creations can do a CGI thing, therefore it's silly to expect them to react to non-CGI things believably?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Holy poo poo that bottom one is awesome

Is there any lore or fluff about it in the book?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
So what you're saying is, my hippie parents waving around their slabs of quartz to realign my karmic centres are really just Caveman Jedi.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Waffles Inc. posted:

Holy poo poo that bottom one is awesome

Is there any lore or fluff about it in the book?

"You can see the little trigger crystal on the far right one, thats the most primitive lightsaber there is. All this aluminum-milled stuff, thats all just for safety and styling"

Thats the accompanying text. The lightsaber concept art was part of their preproduction where they were just 'exploring star wars and its concepts' to get the creative juices flowing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Proof that TFA uses miniatures, Rey's home:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

piratepilates posted:

It doesn't really matter if it's possible that the alien had some weird alien difference that made it not react as a human would expect because 'weird aliens who do not react as a human would expect' are not the audience of the movie. The aliens in the movie are weirdo aliens who do things weirdly but they still at some point must have something that humans would be empathetical towards or it the viewer would not be affected by it. You could make a case towards the intention of the Tatooine aliens' reactions (or lack thereof) but it falls flat to most viewers and would just come off as bad acting by not having any reactions. Also it doesn't make as much sense when it's not just the one planet of weirdo aliens but three movies for a combined 7 hours where even the human actors don't seem to react to any CG.

And furthermore, I thought the podrace scene was not only the best scene of TPM, but also a genuinely entertaining scene -- as opposed to the rest of the movie!

Even if this wasn't the nitpickiest of nitpicks, I don't get what the problem here is supposed to be:

This is the closest the thing ever gets to intersecting his path. It's not flying "right in his face." He even seems to glance at it as it flies past him to his left. I don't know about you, but I usually don't have a freak out when I'm out in public and someone happens to stroll past me at a normal distance.

When there's actual poo poo going on the prequels that it makes sense for people to be reacting to, they do react to it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cnut the Great posted:

Even if this wasn't the nitpickiest of nitpicks, I don't get what the problem here is supposed to be:

This is the closest the thing ever gets to intersecting his path. It's not flying "right in his face." He even seems to glance at it as it flies past him to his left. I don't know about you, but I usually don't have a freak out when I'm out in public and someone happens to stroll past me at a normal distance.

When there's actual poo poo going on the prequels that it makes sense for people to be reacting to, they do react to it.

:shrug: droid thing flying around wasn't my choice of example. I'd go for the Obi-wan dropping down to Grievous scene in Episode 3 when Grievous pulls out like four lightsabres and Ewan McGregor doesn't even make any movement at all, as if he had no idea what was happening in that shot.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
drat who is going to win this battle of taking screen caps from the movie to show this droid is very close to this guy

Since you're very good at screencapping CNUT, please gif this entire moment so you can not only see this guy just stroll on through the droids path but also the guy coming around the corner who also just strolls on through.

Lucas filmed a shot of a street, and then added a droid later, and they just flew the droid around all the actual actors and none of them were told a droid was going to be there. It is a nitpick, but its simply an example of the kind of poor CGI-real set integration that goes on in the prequels.

You could look at my previous gif I posted of Obi-wan essentially walking through 2 CGI battle droids for a better example. Or like...any fight of Jedis vs battle droids.

edit: and no the guy moves his head to the left while the droid is still to the right/in front, he doesnt react to the droid at all.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 15, 2016

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Oh yeah that post reminds me of the behind the scenes video of the big jedi fight in episode 2 where they're all just flailing around in real life because it was all done in CG.

Now what THAT reminded me of was something I found really funny in Episode 7 which is that every time someone uses the force (Ren mind-raping Rey, Ren force-holding Poe and Rey) the actors had to actually pretend that that was happening in real life. I just get this hilarious picture in my head of these two actors with no music or effects added, just two actors standing there doing make-pretend as if they couldn't move because big baddie over there is using the force.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Skull-face Cosmonaut is my new fav. Star Wars character.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

wyoming posted:

Skull-face Cosmonaut is my new fav. Star Wars character.

I like chess-board lady in Episode 7 since she's the same kind of dopey thing that's been in all the movies where they had to come up with weirdo aliens so they just threw something together.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The distinctive female protocol droid in Maz's cantina is a bounty hunter* :krad:

*according to the art book, and a lady bot

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Jerkface posted:

The distinctive female protocol droid in Maz's cantina is a bounty hunter* :krad:

*according to the art book, and a lady bot

Old timey microphone face?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

piratepilates posted:

:shrug: droid thing flying around wasn't my choice of example. I'd go for the Obi-wan dropping down to Grievous scene in Episode 3 when Grievous pulls out like four lightsabres and Ewan McGregor doesn't even make any movement at all, as if he had no idea what was happening in that shot.

What is he supposed to do? Piss his pants? The whole point is that he's totally calm about the whole situation, and isn't fazed at all. The shot immediately after Grievous's arms split apart shows Obi-Wan calmly smirking like it's all just a joke to him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXTFdDrd7pA&t=23s

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

What is he supposed to do? Piss his pants? The whole point is that he's totally calm about the whole situation, and isn't fazed at all. The shot immediately after Grievous's arms split apart shows Obi-Wan calmly smirking like it's all just a joke to him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXTFdDrd7pA&t=23s

Probably like anything, the close-up shot afterwards is very appropriate to the scene and this shot alone doesn't bring down the movie, but it is an example of a time where the actor clearly doesn't have a cue towards what the CG character is doing. He should probably move his lightsabre in to a ready position or move his body a bit, or even flinch why not! Big baddie over there has like 4 four lightsabres and is waving them around in his vicinity, he should probably react when that happens (and not just in the reverse shot where he does in close-up, some body acting in the same shot is what I mean).

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

piratepilates posted:

Probably like anything, the close-up shot afterwards is very appropriate to the scene and this shot alone doesn't bring down the movie, but it is an example of a time where the actor clearly doesn't have a cue towards what the CG character is doing. He should probably move his lightsabre in to a ready position or move his body a bit, or even flinch why not! Big baddie over there has like 4 four lightsabres and is waving them around in his vicinity, he should probably react when that happens (and not just in the reverse shot where he does in close-up, some body acting in the same shot is what I mean).

It's sloppy directing. It's everywhere in the prequels. Actors have this thousand yard stare when they're talking to someone right in front of them.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

piratepilates posted:

Oh yeah that post reminds me of the behind the scenes video of the big jedi fight in episode 2 where they're all just flailing around in real life because it was all done in CG.

Now what THAT reminded me of was something I found really funny in Episode 7 which is that every time someone uses the force (Ren mind-raping Rey, Ren force-holding Poe and Rey) the actors had to actually pretend that that was happening in real life. I just get this hilarious picture in my head of these two actors with no music or effects added, just two actors standing there doing make-pretend as if they couldn't move because big baddie over there is using the force.

Yeah, I keep thinking about that too. Same with something like Harry Potter. It's pretty funny.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jerkface posted:

drat who is going to win this battle of taking screen caps from the movie to show this droid is very close to this guy

Since you're very good at screencapping CNUT, please gif this entire moment so you can not only see this guy just stroll on through the droids path but also the guy coming around the corner who also just strolls on through.

Lucas filmed a shot of a street, and then added a droid later, and they just flew the droid around all the actual actors and none of them were told a droid was going to be there. It is a nitpick, but its simply an example of the kind of poor CGI-real set integration that goes on in the prequels.

You could look at my previous gif I posted of Obi-wan essentially walking through 2 CGI battle droids for a better example. Or like...any fight of Jedis vs battle droids.

edit: and no the guy moves his head to the left while the droid is still to the right/in front, he doesnt react to the droid at all.

The droid is well to that guy's left there. And the droid never really gets in the other guy's way, either. I don't think the extras were given any direction except, "Stroll along the street and glance around a bit." Because that's all they needed to do for the scene to make sense. The droid never actually does anything to make anyone take any particular notice of it. It's just some droid to them. If it wasn't, it would be a pretty lovely spy droid.

I don't think I have to make any gifs to prove that people walk past each other on the street all the time without stopping in their tracks and doing dramatic double-takes for the sake of the invisible camera. Hell, sometimes I don't even glance at strangers who walk right by me! (I mean, hypothetically speaking. Obviously, I never actually leave my mom's basement.)

Also, why does everyone put my name in all caps? It's not an acronym.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Cnut the Great posted:

I did it because clearly you are an important player in the opening scroll that is my post

anyways now tell me why Sebulba's pal on the left not reacting at all to anything including sebulba jumping over the table the guy is using at to go beat someone up is actually good

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

The droid is well to that guy's left there. And the droid never really gets in the other guy's way, either. I don't think the extras were given any direction except, "Stroll along the street and glance around a bit." Because that's all they needed to do for the scene to make sense. The droid never actually does anything to make anyone take any particular notice of it. It's just some droid to them. If it wasn't, it would be a pretty lovely spy droid.

I don't think I have to make any gifs to prove that people walk past each other on the street all the time without stopping in their tracks and doing dramatic double-takes for the sake of the invisible camera. Hell, sometimes I don't even glance at strangers who walk right by me! (I mean, hypothetically speaking. Obviously, I never actually leave my mom's basement.)

It's like you're in an OPENING CRAWL, bro.

Edit: drat you Jerkface, you beat me.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Did the movie ever show who the hero on the other side was? And Anakin obviously does not count as he was not a hero on the other side nor was he on the other side during the war!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Grievous and Dooku are the heroes on the Separatist side.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

You guys have been outdoors and walked down a busy street.

Right...?

:raise:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
The Separatist movement in the PT isn't actually evil, right? There are evil people behind it, but seceding from the Republic isn't inherently bad. Why can't there be heroes?

Also: The TFA soundtrack is amazing and I bought the CD, which is the first CD I've bought in ... 5 years? Maybe 6. It's wonderful. I feel like it's a great homage to the OT, but parts of it feel like they were cribbed from Indiana Jones or Harry Potter.

Soggy Cereal posted:

It is the year 2050 and Episode XIII is being released. I am demanding that we return to the CGI heyday of the sequel and prequel trilogies, not this practical garbage from the second sequel trilogy and the so-called "original" trilogy. Just how George Abrams intended.

You are a good poster and I enjoy reading your posts. :)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Anakin is a human and he podraces. Therefore, humans can podrace. Hell, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are also human, but they could do it too. No matter how far down this semantic pisshole we go, it'll still come out the same. :buddy:

I'm not even sure what point it would prove if humans couldn't podrace? The idea that CGI creations can do a CGI thing, therefore it's silly to expect them to react to non-CGI things believably?

Non-humans in the Star Wars galaxy are not always palette-swapped humans. Therefore, it is not this mind-rending abomination for them to behave unlike the viewer from time to time.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Red posted:

The Separatist movement in the PT isn't actually evil, right? There are evil people behind it, but seceding from the Republic isn't inherently bad. Why can't there be heroes?

There can, but they're framed as the opposition/enemy in the movies, and I can't remember any character that was really a 'hero'. Dooku and Grievous are both villains (they even both get in to big climactic fights with the heroes of the movie). I guess you can say they are war heroes as in they are major players in the war but in the movie's terms (and Star Wars, at least in the OT, is so drat plain good vs evil) they are not heroes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think a gif of that scene would probably be more useful than individual screen caps.

Red posted:

The Separatists are rich dudes, they're evil in the same way that your average banker or plantation owner is.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

piratepilates posted:

There can, but they're framed as the opposition/enemy in the movies, and I can't remember any character that was really a 'hero'. Dooku and Grievous are both villains (they even both get in to big climactic fights with the heroes of the movie). I guess you can say they are war heroes as in they are major players in the war but in the movie's terms (and Star Wars, at least in the OT, is so drat plain good vs evil) they are not heroes.

Grievous and Dooku are heroes to their peoples, the lizard-desert-sword guys and the dracula-planet aristocrats, respectively.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Disgusting.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Jerkface posted:

Disgusting.

Rick McCallum posted:

It's so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

One of the more fundamental principles of animation is "exaggeration." These principles can get technical and wordy, but the basic gist is that you can't really try to be all that subtle or understated when you animate CGI movements. If something is intended to act in a certain way, then really make it act that way, and then push that intent even further. Otherwise it just does not read well to feeble human brains. "Realistic," subdued imitations of "authentic" real life motions end up being static and dull in a cinematic context.

If the droid is supposed to be bobbing and weaving in and out of a crowded bazaar, then really push that intent. Make it bob. Make it weave. Force it to have to pause a little and swerve to miss running into things. Make it really obvious that's what it's doing. Otherwise it doesn't just look like the computer creation that it is, but feels like it as well, and the only obvious thing is that it wasn't in the shot when you originally filmed it.

One of the best parts of that TFA effects reel is that it shows the numerous times where they ended up compositing BB-8 into the final shot, but you would never suspect that they didn't have a practical BB-8 in the scene in the first place because it interacts so seamlessly with the practical surroundings.

computer parts posted:

I think a gif of that scene would probably be more useful than individual screen caps.
whoa now let's not get crazy here

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Obviously we need to get the 3D version of TPM so we can all judge the distance between skull-face man and robot drone accurately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You know what I want to see? Behind the scenes footage of Mark Hamill on the Dagobah set interacting with Yoda between takes. Those Muppet performers like Frank Oz are always so amazing about maintaining character, I just wanna see Yoda chatting with Hamill about union dues and current events.

• Locked thread