Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Anyone that is smart enough to go to college is smart enough to do the math between the annual hiring numbers and the number of CTI graduates every year. The program certainly has upsides, but mostly its a scam to funnel student loans into aviation college coffers.

I think I've mentioned it before, but I applied to two different PUBNAT announcements before they made it "CTI only". That fall I started taking online classes, then the following summer started the 3 semester 'on campus' portion of the cti school I attended. I knew nothing was a guarantee but since that was the only route, I was going to try. I had a really good part time job (my FT job let me go part time, working weekends only) and I moved back in with my mom to save on expenses. I finished the program with just under $4k in loans that I paid back in less than a year. I graduated in 2011 and now I'm 6 weeks from completing the FAA academy (they've only hired twice since I graduated). Would I be doing as well as I am had I not spent 2 entire semesters in CTI school working on non radar? Probably not but I really don't care. I don't regret getting a specialized degree that's only useful for one job, but only because my minimal loans are long since paid off. I'm happy as gently caress that I'm where I am right now and I feel very fortunate for the opportunity. I know some people get this far and just don't give a poo poo and don't put forth the effort required and I'm happy to see that everyone in my class feels the same way I do.

As far as turning the hiring to all off the street, it's lovely and feels like a slap in the face after putting the time and money into the degree. I haven't read any details about the pending lawsuit but from the few notes I read I think it's pretty bullshit. Some people around the academy think that anyone involved will either get an age waiver to attend to academy or a huge payout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

:laffo:

They won't get poo poo. There was always the caveat that they could reopen off the street hiring.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Every time I see your username it makes me think "gently caress if I know"

Am I right?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
More like OZ214 was fknlo

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SeaborneClink posted:

More like OZ214 was fknlo

Had to google that, but this is correct. I was into lowered/bagged trucks in college and a usable version of "that thing is fuckin low!" became an often used forums name for me.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Question from one of my students: When does ATC consider aircraft a formation with air refueling?

I thought it was when we declared MARSA and cleared to tanker freq, but that can happen at hundreds of miles out. Then, it was within 3 miles when we turn off our squawk. However, that implies non-standard formation without the request...

We were doing student training and the tanker miscalculated it's timing and was late to the Control Point. They asked us to do a 360 at the Internal Point, so we called up Center and asked permission. The question arose that we had already been cleared to Tanker freq, so should that request have been relayed through the tanker?

Also, what reg is all this in? I tried Googling but didn't come up with much ...plus I don't understand how your regs are laid out... J5893.45PW ???

xaarman fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 14, 2016

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Guidance for aerial refueling is in our ATC manual. FAA JO 7110.65W Sec 9-2-13.

I can't comment anymore than that because I've never worked such an operation. One of our Center guys can probably help.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Tommy 2.0 posted:

At ZJX, at the "Ocean" sectors (Torry/Metta/Knemo), it is all professional pilots in high performance planes at high altitude. All north and south bound. drat near ZERO crossing traffic. Because of the absolutely lack of complexity you can cram a LOT of planes in these kind of sectors and have your feet kicked up. Like, 30 planes and still approving IAFDOF without a lot of thought. The ultra-high sector this time of year having 50+ planes is a normal thing. I'd imagine the Miami center guys experience the same thing.

I've been flying out of PBI almost exclusively to TEB the past four months and it's crazy how much traffic is near AR16/19. Heading north we'll get held down for a couple of JetBlue guys heading to FLL, but almost always get turned direct SNABS way before the airway. Sometimes I when I don't see a conflict on the TCAS I'll select the ABV/BLW setting and it'll look like moths around a porch light. A serious shitload of traffic. Not being started down way early is nice on the return. We buy cheap gas at home in PBI and I look like a stud to the boss when I can land with skosh fuel. Please don't make me divert for fuel to MLB for my insolence.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ausgezeichnet posted:

I've been flying out of PBI almost exclusively to TEB the past four months and it's crazy how much traffic is near AR16/19. Heading north we'll get held down for a couple of JetBlue guys heading to FLL, but almost always get turned direct SNABS way before the airway. Sometimes I when I don't see a conflict on the TCAS I'll select the ABV/BLW setting and it'll look like moths around a porch light. A serious shitload of traffic. Not being started down way early is nice on the return. We buy cheap gas at home in PBI and I look like a stud to the boss when I can land with skosh fuel. Please don't make me divert for fuel to MLB for my insolence.

If you're going into PBI on the WLACE, there's a decent chance you're talking to me. Say hi.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

If you're going into PBI on the WLACE, there's a decent chance you're talking to me. Say hi.

We usually get routed on the FRWAY5, but I'll ask for Yenko... or should I ask the dude on the freq if they have stairs in their house?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ausgezeichnet posted:

We usually get routed on the FRWAY5, but I'll ask for Yenko... or should I ask the dude on the freq if they have stairs in their house?

If you're coming from the northeast, you shouldn't ever see the WLACE unless poo poo is hosed. If you head back towards the northland overland, via the TBIRD or LMORE, that's also possibly me.

Don't ask for Yenko; ask for Frank.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

If you're coming from the northeast, you shouldn't ever see the WLACE unless poo poo is hosed. If you head back towards the northland overland, via the TBIRD or LMORE, that's also possibly me.

Don't ask for Yenko; ask for Frank.

Keep an eye out for N343MG - that's me. Well, most of the time (there's three of us).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy poo poo that is a seriously pretty Falcon. :gizz:

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
That is one drat fine looking Falcon.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost
Got to pick it up at the delivery center in KLIT back in September. It is a nice example - a lot more reliable than the last one I flew for 5 1/2 years. I gave up my Chicago winters and now I can have a boat parked behind my house.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Holy poo poo that is a seriously pretty Falcon. :gizz:

For the lazy:

Too bad I didn't win the powerball! :flashfap:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost
That's the company's old (very nice) F900. There's 7X pics out there somewhere, but I'm flying in it right now and can't let Mrs Boss see me hosting pics on Imgur.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This one then?

I love that paint scheme.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
They look so so similar to me. I love them both.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

This one then?

I love that paint scheme.

Heh, yep that's it with me in the right seat. That was our first big trip in the new aircraft, taken at Farnborough back in October.

Here's a couple more:

This was after a 8-hour cold-soak flight where we tried out EVERYTHING in the aircraft... Everything. Dropped the RAT (ram air turbine) on final to check it's operation. It's not as loud as in the sim, but it's still loud.

This was the morning we delivered it after the ceremony. Dassault hanger in Little Rock:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

:worship:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You drive a very pretty airplane for a living.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

vessbot posted:

Controllers working ground or clearance delivery: is it annoying when I ask for a clearance more than 30 minutes prior to departure time? (Assuming that I tell you that detail in the request)

What Ferret said is spot on about the technicalities of getting your clearance. With that said, if you are at a busy facility and do this you are making extra work for the controller and they will NOT be happy. It creates extra work where those seconds can be better utilized elsewhere. Don't be surprised if you are told to "standby for squawk" if requesting prior to that 30 minute window. The ATC computers don't assign a beacon code to an IFR plan until that flight is within 30 minutes of it's proposed departure time.

Now if you are at a slow place, who cares. You will most likely piss someone off regardless if you are doing it nicely or rudely when talking to controllers.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

xaarman posted:

Question from one of my students: When does ATC consider aircraft a formation with air refueling?

I thought it was when we declared MARSA and cleared to tanker freq, but that can happen at hundreds of miles out. Then, it was within 3 miles when we turn off our squawk. However, that implies non-standard formation without the request...

We were doing student training and the tanker miscalculated it's timing and was late to the Control Point. They asked us to do a 360 at the Internal Point, so we called up Center and asked permission. The question arose that we had already been cleared to Tanker freq, so should that request have been relayed through the tanker?

Also, what reg is all this in? I tried Googling but didn't come up with much ...plus I don't understand how your regs are laid out... J5893.45PW ???

Weekend holiday bump!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Tommy 2.0 posted:

What Ferret said is spot on about the technicalities of getting your clearance. With that said, if you are at a busy facility and do this you are making extra work for the controller and they will NOT be happy. It creates extra work where those seconds can be better utilized elsewhere. Don't be surprised if you are told to "standby for squawk" if requesting prior to that 30 minute window. The ATC computers don't assign a beacon code to an IFR plan until that flight is within 30 minutes of it's proposed departure time.

Now if you are at a slow place, who cares. You will most likely piss someone off regardless if you are doing it nicely or rudely when talking to controllers.

My squawk was 6660 the other day. The ATC computer shouldn't be able to spit that out in case of superstitious pilots like me.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Slaughter posted:

My squawk was 6660 the other day. The ATC computer shouldn't be able to spit that out in case of superstitious pilots like me.

4666 was commonly assigned in/near the Corpus Christi airspace. Some pilots would ask for a different one

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There's three ways of referring to a specific flight plan when you're using an ERAM console, the aircraft ID, which is going to be either the registration, or the airline code and flight number, the beacon code, or the three digit Computer IDentification number.

CID 666 gets assigned every so often, and our area has a habit of yelling "CID OF THE BEAST, MIAMI" whenever initiating a a handoff to another sector or facility.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tommy 2.0 posted:

who cares. You will most likely piss someone off regardless if you are doing it nicely or rudely when talking to controllers.

Yes

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

xaarman posted:

Weekend holiday bump!

I don't have anything out of the 7110 for you on this, but I think you're generally considered "in formation" when the receiver is cleared over to the tankers frequency, even if they're technically non-standard at that point.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well here it is, let's all try to learn something.

What stands out to me is the first note that says "During aerial refueling, tanker aircraft are responsible for receiver aircraft communication with ATC and for their navigation along the track." It also sounds like MARSA begins when the Tanker says it does, after both the Tanker and Receive have entered the refueling airspace.

quote:

9−2−13. MILITARY AERIAL REFUELING
Authorize aircraft to conduct aerial refueling along
published or special tracks at their flight plan altitude,
unless otherwise requested.

PHRASEOLOGY−

CLEARED TO CONDUCT REFUELING ALONG
(number) TRACK,

or

FROM (fix) TO (fix),

and

MAINTAIN REFUELING LEVEL (altitude),

or

MAINTAIN (altitude),

or

COMMENCING AT (altitude), DESCENDING TO
(altitude).

NOTE−

1. During aerial refueling, tanker aircraft are responsible
for receiver aircraft communication with ATC and for their
navigation along the track.

2. Aerial refueling airspace is not sterilized airspace and
other aircraft may transit this airspace provided vertical or
lateral separation is provided from refueling aircraft.

3. MARSA begins between the tanker and receiver when
the tanker and receiver(s) have entered the air refueling
airspace and the tanker advises ATC that he/she is
accepting MARSA.

4. MARSA ends between the tanker and receiver when the
tanker advises ATC that the tanker and receiver aircraft are
vertically positioned within the air refueling airspace and
ATC advises MARSA is terminated.

REFERENCE−
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 2−1−11, Use of MARSA.
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 5−5−8, Additional Separation for Formation
Flights.
FAAO JO 7610.4, Chapter 10, Aerial Refueling.

a. Provide radar assistance to the rendezvous for
participating aircraft:

1. When requested, and

2. By providing vertical separation prior to
MARSA declaration.

b. Do not request receiver aircraft that have been
cleared to conduct air refueling and have departed the
ARIP to:

1. Make code changes when less than 5 miles
from the tanker.

2. Squawk standby when less than 1 mile or
more than 3 miles from the tanker.

NOTE−
Requests for receiver aircraft to make code changes during
air refueling diverts the receiver pilot’s attention during a
critical phase of flight.

c. When issuing an initial air refueling clearance,
you may request a receiver to squawk standby when
the receiver reaches a point 3 miles from the tanker.

NOTE−
1. Receiver aircraft will squawk normal when separation
from the tanker is greater than 3 miles.

2. Once rendezvous is completed, heading and altitude
assignments may be made with the tanker concurrence with
MARSA remaining in effect.

3. Upon rendezvous completion, the tanker must keep
receiver aircraft within 3 miles of the tanker until MARSA
is terminated.

d. After MARSA has been declared, you should
avoid issuing course or altitude changes prior to
rendezvous.

NOTE−
Altitude or course changes issued will automatically void
MARSA.

e. Do not use the altitude vacated during the
refueling operation until the refueling aircraft has
reported reaching the next IFR altitude.

REFERENCE−
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 6−6−2, Exceptions.

f. Approve requests by the tanker pilot for vectors
or alternative routes or altitudes as follows:

1. Furnish vectors or alternative altitudes at any
time.

2. Furnish nonradar routes only after the
refueling aircraft have passed the ARCP.

NOTE−

1. To meet a training requirement that aerial refueling be
accomplished in a nonradar environment, the military has
requested that vectors be furnished only upon request.

2. The tanker commander is responsible for coordinating
all inflight requests with other aircraft in the refueling
mission before submission of such requests to the center.

3. Normally, aircraft conducting aerial refueling operations
will utilize at least three consecutive altitudes.

g. Unless a vector or alternative route has been
furnished, clear the aircraft to depart the refueling
track at a navigational reference point or egress fix.
h. Request an aircraft to report the ARIP, ARCP, or
egress fix as necessary.

PHRASEOLOGY−

REPORT:

A−R−I−P,

or

A−R−C−P,

or

EGRESS FIX.

i. Expect the following procedures in addition to
those required by the appropriate parts of Title 14 of
the Code of Federal Regulations in the event of
two-way communications failure:

1. The tanker will depart the track from the
highest altitude in the block.

2. The receiver will depart the track from the
lowest altitude in the block.

3. Aircraft will squawk 7600 for at least
2 minutes prior to departing the track.

REFERENCE−
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 9−2−14, Military Operations Above FL 600.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 18, 2016

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

With a MARSA refueling operation, the easiest way to think of it is sort of like this.

Treat the refueling tanker like an airborne approach control. Seriously. Do you switch a guy to an adjacent sector, or another approach, before you are done with the guy? Basically same thing as a MARSA tanker.

But...treat it like another controller's airspace if I am trying to simplify it.

Also, facepalm and time controller's use the word MARSA and think it is the same thing as a normal flight. You WILL hear a lot of military pilots say they are MARSA with another AC due to it being something simple to say to get it across to ATC that they are a flight with another AC, but this isn't the correct way to use it. Just one of those "things" you have to know what it is. Like the double click for receipt of a transmission.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah. MARSA is a very specific thing. You can't just say the word and make it so.

For those reading, MARSA is "Military Accepts Responsibility for Separation of Aircraft." It is a procedure to allow the military planes to get super close to each other, even though our regular separation rules would normally not allow such a thing. It has to be spelled out very carefully in letters of agreement between the FAA and the DoD branch participating in the operation.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Got it - I was trying to combine AR procedures and formation when they are two completely separate part of procedures (even though they deal with similar things.)

Also, to the guy who works at KAMA - sorry about this morning and the swarm of T-1s.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Never apologize. They need the traffic count.

What cracks me up is how many T38 and Texan II flights come into DFW area airports to play. Do you guys need Class B adjacent practice or something? Or is it just because we don't say "no?"

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
So when ATC gives us an altitude and speed on an RNAV arrival, and then tells us to "resume the arrival", that means to cross the next fix with the published speed/altitude, right? Because we flew the Leehy 3 into SLC the other day and were told direct Dryve and resume the arrival (after being cleared down to 16000). I asked myself and the other guy flying "so this means we cross Dryve at 15, yeah?" captain goes "yeah that sounds right but let me check" to which the controller responded "no stay at 16, expect lower from the next controller". Was I right and ATC screwed up the assignment or did I misinterpret the clearance? :shrug:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Butt Reactor posted:

So when ATC gives us an altitude and speed on an RNAV arrival, and then tells us to "resume the arrival", that means to cross the next fix with the published speed/altitude, right? Because we flew the Leehy 3 into SLC the other day and were told direct Dryve and resume the arrival (after being cleared down to 16000). I asked myself and the other guy flying "so this means we cross Dryve at 15, yeah?" captain goes "yeah that sounds right but let me check" to which the controller responded "no stay at 16, expect lower from the next controller". Was I right and ATC screwed up the assignment or did I misinterpret the clearance? :shrug:

It was an ambiguous clearance, you were right to ask for clarification.

If they wanted you to resume the route but remain at 16000, they should have paired the "resume" instruction with a "maintain" instruction.

I'm referencing our Good Book (7110.65W) for this information. Chapter 4. Paragraph 4-5-7 h. 7. NOTE 2.

"Cleared direct DRYVE, resume the arrival, maintain One Six Thousand."

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 28, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Butt Reactor posted:

Descend/climb via procedures are literally the devil.

Miami Center is among the (many) facilities that still aren't using climb/descend via clearances, and the phraseology differences are incredibly minor. I can't believe for all the poo poo they give us on minor phraseology issues, that they allowed the climb/descend via stuff to get introduced in such a piecemeal manner. If you have ANY question as to whether you're cleared to descend or climb via, or just cleared to an altitude, please ask. Please. Ask.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I don't know why the news has been taking this story up this week instead of back on the 11th when this report was released, but whatever.

The DOT's Office of Inspector General released their audit on ATC facility staffing, specifically at the nations busiest facilities. The results aren't terribly surprising. Still, after all the charts and graphs about how screwed up the situation is, the only 2 recommendations are for the FAA to change the way it handles staffing ranges for En Route Centers only (even though terminal facilities are facing the same critical staffing shortage) and to use a different bit of software to set schedules.

quote:

RECOMMENDATIONS
To improve FAA’s ability to ensure adequate staffing at its most critical air traffic control facilities, we recommend that the Federal Aviation Administrator:

1. Develop and implement a methodology with completion dates for determining en route staffing ranges, as suggested by the National Academy of Sciences.

2. Document and use the results of Operational Planning and Scheduling tool when annually negotiating controller work schedules at each facility.

News sites, especially local ones from areas with the named facilities, have run stories this week about the report. They state that it was released a couple of days ago, which is a weird claim I don't understand because it's clearly dated Jan 11th, but who knows.

Chicago Tribune

Fox News

Here are some fun graphs. CPCs are fully certified controllers.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Holy balls. Anchorage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That means there are going to be more hiring announcements with better hiring criteria, right? RIGHT? :suicide: