Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I grew up around a lot of people like this. If you don't get too into politics (and I guess you're white and from around there), then they'll give you the shirt off their backs. Just don't say anything about the government or gay rights or maybe not needing an M2 to hunt.

e: Actually, there's also a FUCKLOAD of them in the National Guard. Make of that what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

UIApplication posted:

What time daily does Retards On Youtube happen because I sort of want to listen in tomorrow and pretend David Attenborough is narrating over it about some sort of specimen that flings PBR shits into the forest

Pete Santilli starts the livestream roughly 12 noon EST, but the Bundy's and Co. usually don't show up till 2pm. Usually theres nothing to see till 2 but today Pete decided it was a good idea to spew stream of consciousness for an hour before they showed up.

The line "My name is Pete Santilli and I'm aiming for at least the top 5 domesitic terrorist list." was uttered.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
"You don't go to prison for this...?"
"No, you don't go to prison for the constitution."
"It depends on the strength of your resolve."

Riiiight,

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
HAHA they're looking at the petitions and trying to suss out why there's only a few signers.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crain posted:

Pete Santilli starts the livestream roughly 12 noon EST, but the Bundy's and Co. usually don't show up till 2pm. Usually theres nothing to see till 2 but today Pete decided it was a good idea to spew stream of consciousness for an hour before they showed up.

The line "My name is Pete Santilli and I'm aiming for at least the top 5 domesitic terrorist list." was uttered.

Yeah, Pete seems like he's basically an rear end in a top hat 24/7

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Oh also, don't forget that tomorrow there is supposed to be a community meeting held by these guys in town.

But they were denied permits to use buildings and they weren't sure at their presser today what the plan was.

So keep an eye out for...something I guess.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I hope the sugar free bears get there first.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's hilarious, they actually respect local permits? How principled and consistent, these modern Cincinattususes.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SedanChair posted:

That's hilarious, they actually respect local permits? How principled and consistent, these modern Cincinattususes.

They think local is the only legitimate level of government.

For. ..reasons

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crain posted:

Uh...yeah actually. Pete publicly stated he's trying for at LEAST one of the top 5 spots on the Domestic Terrorist list.

So when will the Feds do anything? It's like a Tex Avery cartoon with a blinking neon light at this point, but instead of "Eat at Joe's", it's "I'm a Terrorist, Kill Me."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SubponticatePoster posted:

WTF is this outfit? Cowboy hat, ok sure. Leather biker jacket? A scarf that would be completely at home in the Castro? Knockoff Oakleys from a frathouse? Vaping??

:psypop:

It's a traffic accident of fashion on one person.

LGD posted:

tbf vaping is totally fine in Oregon (and all the more so if you don't respect federal authority)

though public consumption is still prohibited

Pretty sure that's e-cig vaping and not marijuana vaping. The former is fine anywhere.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 15, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's a traffic accident of fashion on one person.

Pretty sure that's e-cig vaping and not marijuana vaping. The former is fine anywhere.

vaping anything is terrible anywhere. It's the jorts of drug paraphernalia.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Main Paineframe posted:

I dunno, usually the police threads get all whiny when local cops shoot someone who has committed no violence solely because they possessed a gun, broke into a building, committed a property crime, or said scary things! Typically it's suggested that the police should have nonviolently talked them down, and that it would be inappropriate to escalate a situation against someone who has yet to use violence, even if they said something threatening but made no effort to follow up on that threat with action. Laws which allow law enforcement to presume that someone is violent and use lethal force against them simply because they possess a firearm are also a popular target for criticism. Unless they're both white and right-wing, apparently, in which case every angry word about taking down the government should be treated like a murder charge and followed up with violence!

You punch up, not punch down.

Discendo Vox posted:

vaping anything is terrible anywhere. It's the jorts of drug paraphernalia.

I was referring to legality, not acceptability.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

theflyingorc posted:

For. ..reasons

Specifically, the only legitimate level of government is the level of government that agrees with them at all times.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You punch up, not punch down.
Some of these people (not ammon) are poor, ignorant farmers who are scared that they aren't going to be able to provide for their families. The fact that they're white doesn't immediately make it "punching up"

Edit: let me be clear, they mostly are douchebags, but c'mon

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Specifically, the only legitimate level of government is the level of government that agrees with them at all times.

The only moral government is MY government.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

theflyingorc posted:

Some of these people (not ammon) are poor, ignorant farmers who are scared that they aren't going to be able to provide for their families. The fact that they're white doesn't immediately make it "punching up"

Edit: let me be clear, they mostly are douchebags, but c'mon

You're leaving out the parts about seizing a federal building while armed, slashing the sheriff's tires, stalking and threatening his wife, etc. That tends to push it from punching down to up.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I was referring to legality, not acceptability.

Yeah, we were talking about e-cig vaping. Which is just liquid with nicotine and flavoring run through a mini atomizer instead of a mini blast furnace that vaporizes weed.

Basically we're making fun of him for looking like he's deep throating robocops mechanical dick.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

For. ..reasons

Government small enough to be drowned in a bathtub overrun by an armed militia.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Discendo Vox posted:

Vaping anything is terrible anywhere. It's the jorts of drug paraphernalia.

It's pretty good at getting people off actual cigs, terrible spergs might use them too, but who cares.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If you vape for more than a month before deciding its just not worth it and quit smoking or move on to other forms of smoking cessation you're a pussy who can't kick the nicotine habit.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lol, if the local people ask us to leave we'll attempt to carpetbag in the neighboring sheriff.

The Oregonian posted:

Earlier in the week, three members of Bundy's group met with Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer. They asked him to come to the refuge and "take a stand," Palmer told the Blue Mountain Eagle. He declined, saying he wouldn't without Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward's permission.

Ward told Palmer that he was welcome only if he would "shame and humiliate them into giving up," Palmer told the newspaper. Palmer, calling the occupiers "patriots," said he wasn't willing to do that and decided not to come.

Palmer declined comment to The Oregonian/OregonLive.

Bundy said he didn't personally meet with Palmer, but that the two have been "in communication."

"We're reaching out to these sheriffs, and to be frank, most of them have reached out to us," Bundy said.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crain posted:

Yeah, we were talking about e-cig vaping. Which is just liquid with nicotine and flavoring run through a mini atomizer instead of a mini blast furnace that vaporizes weed.

Basically we're making fun of him for looking like he's deep throating robocops mechanical dick.

It also supposedly causes popcorn lung, which is pretty :stare:.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Yardbomb posted:

It's pretty good at getting people off actual cigs, terrible spergs might use them too, but who cares.

I'll not get into it here, but vaporizers are much, much worse at the structural level (healthwise, legally, the practices of companies that own them) than even conventional tobacco. This is largely because they were built from the ground up to evade regulation of all sorts. They're the Uber to tobacco's taxis.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 15, 2016

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have these loving mutants been destroyed yet

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

UV_Catastrophe posted:

When a comparable left-wing protest eventually happens, I am 100 percent sure that the authorities will thoughtfully consider using a gentle response like the one used in Burns, Oregon and will definitely not stomp them out of existence using every dirty trick in the book. I know this because we're all about fairness and the use of consistent logic here in the good old US of A, and we certainly don't dole out justice differently depending on political circumstance, no sir.

You see, it's important to pedantically defend things like the Bundy militia's legal right to ask friendly questions to locals about their employment status in the federal government and their right to receive Fed Ex packages in the driveway of the government building that they seized. Because if we defend these rights now, then the state is completely obligated to treat, say, the next Black Lives Matter protest with the same kind of even-handed fairness. If not, then those responsible will be turned into pillars of salt by the occult magicks of the D&D forum, which is the prevailing political force in this country, as we all know.

Can't believe you guys don't see this, smh.
It's because liberals and minorities don't vote. hth.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Discendo Vox posted:

They're the Uber to tobacco's taxis.

This is a really great analogy, because the venn diagram of people I know who like Uber and who vape is one solid loving circle.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I know I keep quoting MacNab, but she's got a pretty good running commentary on this thing and she has a pretty wide knowledge of SovCits in general. On this particular matter:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/687730867792396288

The neighboring sheriff mentioned here is a member of a SovCit group and that's why he's sympathizing with the militants. Nice, huh?

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/687735542969200642

And that's why they want to hang the local sheriff. The other sheriff was wise enough not to get involved, but apparently still supports the guys calling for the death of Sheriff Ward because he's not only a member of this group, he's an honored member.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So, the constitution is interpreted by local sheriffs, not the courts.

Have these people never taken an elementary school Civics class?

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

Homeschooling is big in SovCit circles, so...entirely possible they have not.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RandomPauI posted:

Sovereign citizens are descendent of Posse Comitatus, an extreme right-wing tax protester movement of the 70s and 80s. They had a really bizarre reading of the laws that somehow managed to interpret that sheriffs are the head of state and that government has no authority above the county level (I think something to do with the legal concept of posse comitatus, which is what lets the sheriff legally recruit citizens to help him enforce the law at his own discretion; I guess they interpreted that power and discretion as giving the sheriff total authority). A lot of modern sovereign citizens include this in their ridiculousness, believing that an elected sheriff is the highest authority and refusing to recognize any greater level of government (such as the state and federal government) as legitimate.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

kartikeya posted:

I know I keep quoting MacNab, but she's got a pretty good running commentary on this thing and she has a pretty wide knowledge of SovCits in general. On this particular matter:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/687730867792396288

The neighboring sheriff mentioned here is a member of a SovCit group and that's why he's sympathizing with the militants. Nice, huh?

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/687735542969200642

And that's why they want to hang the local sheriff. The other sheriff was wise enough not to get involved, but apparently still supports the guys calling for the death of Sheriff Ward because he's not only a member of this group, he's an honored member.

cool, looks like this militia are just a bunch of lone whackos with shrinking numbers and no support

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

chitoryu12 posted:

Sovereign citizens are descendent of Posse Comitatus, an extreme right-wing tax protester movement of the 70s and 80s. They had a really bizarre reading of the laws that somehow managed to interpret that sheriffs are the head of state and that government has no authority above the county level (I think something to do with the legal concept of posse comitatus, which is what lets the sheriff legally recruit citizens to help him enforce the law at his own discretion; I guess they interpreted that power and discretion as giving the sheriff total authority). A lot of modern sovereign citizens include this in their ridiculousness, believing that an elected sheriff is the highest authority and refusing to recognize any greater level of government (such as the state and federal government) as legitimate.

This stuff never ceases to amaze me. I mean, sure, you decide the rules don't apply to you, and the older guy you drink brake fluid with down by the tracks says there's legal precedent for thinking so if you just mutter enough about naval flags and sovereignty when the cops come.

But why do you still believe it, after your magic words do gently caress-all and you get tazed and arrested for harassment( or, more sobering, your idiot friends get shot assaulting a police station)???

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Tias posted:

But why do you still believe it, after your magic words do gently caress-all and you get tazed and arrested for harassment( or, more sobering, your idiot friends get shot assaulting a police station)???

Because you didn't say the magic words correctly enough, or you didn't believe hard enough, or the people you interacted with were evil statist minions. It's a conspiracy theory, but written by a racist neoconfederate who was super upset at federal troops being used to police the integration of schools.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Being from the UK the only famous person I could think of from oregon was chael sonnen (there are obviously loads but that was the only one I had heard discussing it).

I could really imagine him at some thing like this.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

So if all power above the county level is disbanded, what happens to this enormous juggernaut of a military? Are they assuming they'll just quietly disband and not, for example and I'm totally just thinking out loud because something like this has never happened before, steamroll every paintball playdate militia guarding anything even remotely valuable and set up a military junta by day 2?

edit - maybe they read Starship Troopers and took the hand waving of "look, this military needs to be benevolent if I'm going to be able to tell this story I don't care if it doesn't make sense" to heart

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 15, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking from the outside in, I really don't know why these dumb asses haven't been arrested/sieged yet. In any other country they would have been contained day one and considered terrorist/criminals and dealt with accordingly. Did the terrorists win in your country all those years ago? Is everyone waiting for the 14 day camper rules to pass before doing anything? What a loving Farce on both sides.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

Looking from the outside in, I really don't know why these dumb asses haven't been arrested/sieged yet. In any other country they would have been contained day one and considered terrorist/criminals and dealt with accordingly. Did the terrorists win in your country all those years ago? Is everyone waiting for the 14 day camper rules to pass before doing anything? What a loving Farce on both sides.

The feds can't do anything until they find out what is the motive behind this takeover. This may take a while as a man's true agenda tends to be easier to ascertain the higher the melanin count of his skin.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

JJ MacNab posted:

CSPOA

well this is a hosed up thing I wish didnt exist

so the feds seem to have not even a slight grasp on the patriot movement

good to fuckin know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

oohhboy posted:

They're white and right wing which means that they're afraid that doing anything will make the growing number of other insane conservatives angry. That and these idiots really, really want this to turn into a standoff so they can indulge their fantasies and/or become maytrs.

• Locked thread