Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geostomp posted:

They're white and right wing which means that they're afraid that doing anything will make the growing number of other insane conservatives angry. That and these idiots really, really want this to turn into a standoff so they can indulge their fantasies and/or become maytrs.

So the terrorist won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

oohhboy posted:

So the terrorist won?

Did you not see the "mission failed" screen? It's ok, though - we'll try again from the last checkpoint. The trick is to put stickybombs on the helicopter before you start the mission - otherwise you can kill everyone but Ammon Bundy still escapes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I won't have time to see if they delivered the gummi bears today but I guess if I hear stuff on the news about a "dysentery outbreak" I'll know things went all right.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jippa posted:

Being from the UK the only famous person I could think of from oregon was chael sonnen (there are obviously loads but that was the only one I had heard discussing it).

I could really imagine him at some thing like this.

I'm from America and the only one that comes to mind is Chuck Palahniuk. Of course, this sounds like something that could come out of one of his books.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You punch up, not punch down.

Are you loving insane? "punch up not punch down" is a principle you use when determining whether a racy joke is okay, not whether killing someone is okay.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Ideally, you maintain order and rule of law in all cases. You do so equally and without malice, bigotry or brutality. If you're a protestor, black, white, liberal or conservative, and you break the law, you should pay the price. Sometimes in doing so, you prove your point, and show that the law is injust and must be changed.

Seizing Federal property while armed merits a strong, proportionate reponse. Using terrorist tactics such as human shields escalates matters.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

So what would you say is a strong, proportionate response?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Samuel Clemens posted:

Can they fill the building with sleeping gas and then just drag the people out afterwards?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

prefect posted:

Can they fill the building with sleeping gas and then just drag the people out afterwards?

That's not a thing

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

prefect posted:

There is no such thing as a safe sleeping gas

Talmonis posted:

Seizing Federal property while armed merits a strong, proportionate reponse. Using terrorist tactics such as human shields escalates matters.
They never actually did the human shield thing, they just talked about it during the ranch standoff.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

In this case there are no hostages so it should work just fine.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

In video games you can use gas grenades or tranquilizer rounds and the enemy just goes "ungh" and falls asleep for a while. In real life you will do nothing, or you will suffocate or kill them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingorc posted:

There is no such thing as a safe sleeping gas

How about some type of gay bomb?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

prefect posted:

How about some type of gay bomb?

done

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

many johnnys posted:

In video games you can use gas grenades or tranquilizer rounds and the enemy just goes "ungh" and falls asleep for a while. In real life you will do nothing, or you will suffocate or kill them.

... go on.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ozmunkeh posted:

they haven't done anything worth death yet, even if they are giant assholes

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Tias posted:

But why do you still believe it, after your magic words do gently caress-all

That's where their cries of "tyranny" come from. You know how we joke sometimes about how all these guys seem to cry tyranny at anything and can't figure out where they're seeing it? It's because their magic words aren't working. But they're convinced that they are real, so clearly the answer is that the government isn't following the laws (constitution) because otherwise they'd have full access to the secret UN-Rothschild-Bilderburg-bank account that was created when they were "berthed" and filled with a million billion dollars and they'd be able to walk up to the White House, go inside and arrest (kill) that traitor Obongo because he can't lay claim to the White House and fj;;asjsfkl jskafj adksfjasd.....

Ammon Bundy said something to that effect yesterday. It was along the lines of "The government must follow these strict rules[their interpretation of the constitution], but people are suffering, and can't put money in their savings accounts because the government isn't following these strict rules." Which is a huge :ironicat: to us, but to them they can't quite make the connection that it isn't the government ignoring the laws, it's that their "laws" aren't real and don't work that way.

text editor posted:

well this is a hosed up thing I wish didnt exist

so the feds seem to have not even a slight grasp on the patriot movement

good to fuckin know

The republicans literally shut down the anti-terrorist division tasked with tracking and combating right-wing terrorist groups. So yes, they are ignorant about these guys unless they blatantly bring themselves into the limelight like the Bundy's are now. Some work is done on them, but there isn't a cohesive group that tracks all of them, so the FBI/DHS is fighting against these guys with one hand and one leg tied behind their back.

prefect posted:

"Sleeping gas" isn't an actual thing... There are chemicals that can put a person to sleep with targeted applications (anesthesia) but there isn't a gas you can safely fill a room with and have people just fall asleep with no ill effects.

The Russians tried this once with some anesthesia and ended up just killing a bunch of innocent people. Because knocking someone out is hard and you can't predict how people will react to it, and I'm not even talking about being allergic.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ozmunkeh posted:

Well...no. The brought their wives/girlfriends and kids.

As much as it'd be cathartic to see these guys actually have a run in with real "warriors", I don't want kids to get killed because daddy decided he wanted to play revolutionary and decided to go with the narrative of a racist neoconfederate.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Crain posted:

As much as it'd be cathartic to see these guys actually have a run in with real "warriors", I don't want kids to get killed because daddy decided he wanted to play revolutionary and decided to go with the narrative of a racist neoconfederate.

I just hope the kids end up in good foster homes after all this is done and dusted.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

weaponized opiods is exactly how i want to die

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

theflyingorc posted:

they haven't done anything worth death yet, even if they are giant assholes

Yeah, they deserve huge fines/jail time, but not being killed if it can be helped. If they start shooting when they are being arrested then the matter has changed, of course.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

text editor posted:

well this is a hosed up thing I wish didnt exist

so the feds seem to have not even a slight grasp on the patriot movement

good to fuckin know

Well when the feds released a report detailing how the far right was getting more extreme and dangerous the GOP flipped its poo poo and the report was pulled so that said department wouldn't have its funding gutted by Congress, so yeah basically.

Maybe Obama actually had it stay up and running and the shutdown was a publicity thing but I'd say that's not likely since someone in the GOP would've gotten a report or wind of it and we'd have had round 2 of the American Taliban crying because they're being watched.

Crain posted:

If the kids are lucky they'll grow up to be 'only' as hosed up as people like the Duggars. :smith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Santilli chat during the off-hours is great. I can't tell who's real and who's trolling.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
by the way, their idea that the government can't own land comes from Article 1, section 8:

quote:

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings;--And

which has, of course, goddamn nothing with whether or not the federal government can create national parks or specify land for controlled public use. It's a positive power given to congress, not a restriction on them

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
No, clearly it says that the gubmint can only own 10 square miles of land, and that's where they have to put all their forts and shipyards :downs:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

On that first day, I would have set up a small roadblock with the FBI and cooperation from the local Sheriff's department and state police. I'd demand they disperse, and that if they cooperated within a set time, they would be free to leave. Fined later.

After they refuse, steal federal vehicles, etc. you expand the cordon. Stop all shipments in of supplies. Arrest anyone smuggling in supplies, and anyone attempting to sneak out. If they come in a mass, order them to stand down. If they threaten violence, read them their rights. If they aim weapons, eliminate them like you would any other hostile, armed threat.

Wait out the rest until they run out of supplies and play up their defeated, emaciated and emotionally broken faces on TV.

That would have been a strong, proportionate response.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Talmonis posted:

On that first day, I would have set up a small roadblock with the FBI and cooperation from the local Sheriff's department and state police. I'd demand they disperse, and that if they cooperated within a set time, they would be free to leave. Fined later.

After they refuse, steal federal vehicles, etc. you expand the cordon. Stop all shipments in of supplies. Arrest anyone smuggling in supplies, and anyone attempting to sneak out. If they come in a mass, order them to stand down. If they threaten violence, read them their rights. If they aim weapons, eliminate them like you would any other hostile, armed threat.

Wait out the rest until they run out of supplies and play up their defeated, emaciated and emotionally broken faces on TV.

That would have been a strong, proportionate response.

This is all well and good, but if they did that we wouldn't have gotten the 'no more dildos please!' video.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Talmonis posted:

On that first day, I would have set up a small roadblock with the FBI and cooperation from the local Sheriff's department and state police. I'd demand they disperse, and that if they cooperated within a set time, they would be free to leave.

Lets just stop right here because this is all that would have happened before a bloodbath ensued. You setup a "small" roadblock and they start a firefight instantly.

How about this, revise your idea of how to stop this by first understanding that if the Bundys hear or see a federal agent within a 600 meter dietance they will attempt to kill them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epic High Five posted:

So if all power above the county level is disbanded, what happens to this enormous juggernaut of a military? Are they assuming they'll just quietly disband and not, for example and I'm totally just thinking out loud because something like this has never happened before, steamroll every paintball playdate militia guarding anything even remotely valuable and set up a military junta by day 2?

edit - maybe they read Starship Troopers and took the hand waving of "look, this military needs to be benevolent if I'm going to be able to tell this story I don't care if it doesn't make sense" to heart

In this kind of group, there are two ways of thinking about the military: ARE TROOPS who are good ole boys and will of course completely support the militias, or evil brainwashed minions who will of course be defeated by God's chosen people just like in the Bible.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Cythereal posted:

In this kind of group, there are two ways of thinking about the military: ARE TROOPS who are good ole boys and will of course completely support the militias, or evil brainwashed minions who will of course be defeated by God's chosen people just like in the Bible.

a lot of them have based everything on their weird interpretation of the constitution, and the constitution pretty explicitly outlines that the feds can have a standing army

but they break all these OTHER "laws" so they're illegitimate

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This is all well and good, but if they did that we wouldn't have gotten the 'no more dildos please!' video.

Freedom isn't free :911:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

LeoMarr posted:

Lets just stop right here because this is all that would have happened before a bloodbath ensued. You setup a "small" roadblock and they start a firefight instantly.

How about this, revise your idea of how to stop this by first understanding that if the Bundys hear or see a federal agent within a 600 meter dietance they will attempt to kill them.

That bloodbath would have been entirely on them. That's really all that matters when it comes to whether or not to engage them. If a raid botches, you have Waco or Ruby Ridge. Don't raid them. If they attack law enforcement, they get put down on live TV as the aggressive terrorists they are.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

LeoMarr posted:

Law enforcement officers are paid to put themselves at risk in order to protect others.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah if putting up a roadblock is all it takes in order for these guys to become violent with lethal intent towards agents of the state we are just putting this off since if you send a cop to their house in six months to arrest them once everything has settled down I don't see why they wouldn't be just as likely to shoot that guy.

The argument that "they will turn to violence" is pretty much going to be applicable no matter what you do so at a certain point you either need to let them do whatever they want forever or try something that has a small risk of them retaliating.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

An Angry Bug posted:

Law enforcement officers are paid to put themselves at risk in order to protect others.

yes, but they're allowed to consider the risk/reward ratio. i'd be pretty upset if i was told to risk my life for a bird sanctuary

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

yes, but they're allowed to consider the risk/reward ratio. i'd be pretty upset if i was told to risk my life for a bird sanctuary

You're also not a cop with a sense of duty to uphold the law. Part of which is not letting armed men take what they want in flagrant abuse of it. This sort of thing is what all those shiny new toys they received from the Military are for. Full body armor, Sarcoghagus shields, APC's, etc.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

theflyingorc posted:

Endangered birds are cooler than gun-toting fat idiots imo

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

LeoMarr posted:

Is that right? My impression was that they didn't recognise the authority of federal officers, and, as a result, would refuse to comply with any instructions and would defend selves if drawn upon. But they don't actually want to go out and kill people, feds or not. They want a standoff. I mean, they were hoping for roadblocks and sieges, right? Can't really see any other reason for their being in an off-season wildlife sanctuary.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Fun from the stream chat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
i have no idea which of those are trolls

i really like "government out of my social security, though."

• Locked thread