Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there are people playing a game in the lobby where you "spank a lawyer"

what the!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

Mortley posted:

Social activities more entertaining when among people whose company you enjoy: News at 11.

I'm not saying you're wrong here, but I rather enjoyed the company of all of them. I simply didn't like playing this game with them as they weren't at all good at it. We enjoy plenty of other games though, so...weird.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
:siren: FLAWED GAME :siren:

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
I feel ya. That could happen for sure. I just feel the need to defend Codenames, especially when it's compared with fundamentally memorization-based games like Scrabble. I do think improvising abstract associations between common words takes more smarts than always remembering that qi is an acceptable spelling in English for some stupid reason. But the kind of thinking Codenames takes isn't easy even for intelligent people.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mortley posted:

the kind of thinking Codenames takes isn't easy even for intelligent people.

I think you're taking it way too seriously.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Jedit posted:

Internal Affairs, in the unlikely event that you can find it anywhere but Capstone's own website. Video description including full rules.

I can't believe this is impossible to buy in the UK. Wasn't it at Essen?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I can't believe this is impossible to buy in the UK. Wasn't it at Essen?

It was at Essen. It's possible it already sold through, the first print run was pretty small.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
If anyone catches wind of a reprint or is looking to unload their copy, I'd be interested.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Kiranamos posted:

We had a couple of friends over and they went out and bought their own copy after trying ours. It's easy to see why it's a big hit - basically the same qualities of that party game that shall not be named (rip alan) except for 2 player strategy.

Patchwork is great and a good staple 2 player game for my wife and me.

Arguments have been had over that cross-shaped piece that costs only 3 time though.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Is Biblios a good filler game?

And are all the cards language neutral? My wife is not very fond of having to read English cards during plays.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Ended up buying King of New York and Libertalia. Tried to convince myself to pull the trigger on Kemet over Libertalia, but I just couldn't do it. I'll have less to explain and more play time this way. I'll get you one day, Kemet. Thanks for the input guys/gals. You make my life more entertaining.

As an aside, I have played Between Two Cities a few times, and I feel like it blanks 7 Wonders. If not completely, then at least as an intro game. Everyone loves to build their own cities and theme them. There are fewer opportunities to get screwed by more experience players (especially via hate drafting), and there are less symbols to memorize and get confused by. It may not be as deep, but I feel much more confident bringing this out to teach than 7 Wonders.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Merauder posted:

It was at Essen. It's possible it already sold through, the first print run was pretty small.

They sold everything they took to Spiel, I know that.

Re: Biblios - it didn't set me on fire, but it wasn't objectionable. It's completely language independent.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Played Keyflower today, tied for second with 55 points. The winner got 56. Definitely keen to get it out again.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Selecta84 posted:

Is Biblios a good filler game?

And are all the cards language neutral? My wife is not very fond of having to read English cards during plays.

Biblios is one of the best filler games I've played. I got it a few months ago after this thread recommended it. My wife and I frequently take it to coffee shops and such.

It's all colors and numbers, there should be no English involved at all once you are past the instructions.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

Re: Biblios - it didn't set me on fire, but it wasn't objectionable. It's completely language independent.

Medium Style posted:

Biblios is one of the best filler games I've played. I got it a few months ago after this thread recommended it. My wife and I frequently take it to coffee shops and such.

It's all colors and numbers, there should be no English involved at all once you are past the instructions.

Cool, thanks. The English instruction should be no problem as I will be reading it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

FulsomFrank posted:

Speaking of gaming groups: I've got a bunch of friends that have been meeting up about once a week but the numbers keep climbing and we're up to about 6-8 regularly and the options of games at this player count is starting to get a bit stale. Between Resistance and its various iterations and versions, Codenames, Spyfall, ONU Werewolf and the highly-mediocre not-Resistance Secret Hitler, are there any other games that work well with larger group that people would recommend?

When we get a big bunch together we'll often pull out Space Cadets: Dice Duel. So far, everyone has had a chaotic blast every time we've played and it really only works well with a lot of players (in my opinion). In fact, my only real complaint about it is that I don't get enough people together to bring it out all that often. Basically, you split up into two teams who each have a spaceship and try to blow each other up. Each person mans different stations (ala Star Trek or something like that) which are things like navigation, shields, weapons officer, tractor beams, sensors, engineering, and tractor beam. Each station has a mini-dice game that range from super easy (weapons officer loading torpedos) to mildly complicated (pilot driving the ship). What makes the game somewhat unique is that everything happens in real-time, so people are frantically rolling dice, acquiring targets, moving the ship, etc until somebody on a team yells out 'fire 1!' or 'fire 2' (depending on how many torpedoes they want to fire) at which point everyone puts their hands up and resolves the action.

So far, I have yet to play a round of it without everyone instantly wanting to give it another go. Also, in general it's a pretty fast paced game (I suppose it could drag on if both teams were outright terrible, but that hasn't happened to us yet).

For those that care, one possible issue with the game is it would be very easy for people to cheat with their dice since everyone is engaged in their own mini game and would likely not notice. Also, some people might feel pressured by the 'hurry up let's go' nature of the game (sort of like Space Alert) and might not appreciate their teammates screaming at them to load the drat torpedoes already. The varying difficulties of the stations works for my group as a nice way to get people with different board game skill/experience levels involved, but some of the stations are simple enough that they could potentially become boring for an experienced gamer.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

drat Dirty Ape posted:

When we get a big bunch together we'll often pull out Space Cadets: Dice Duel. So far, everyone has had a chaotic blast every time we've played and it really only works well with a lot of players (in my opinion). In fact, my only real complaint about it is that I don't get enough people together to bring it out all that often. Basically, you split up into two teams who each have a spaceship and try to blow each other up. Each person mans different stations (ala Star Trek or something like that) which are things like navigation, shields, weapons officer, tractor beams, sensors, engineering, and tractor beam. Each station has a mini-dice game that range from super easy (weapons officer loading torpedos) to mildly complicated (pilot driving the ship). What makes the game somewhat unique is that everything happens in real-time, so people are frantically rolling dice, acquiring targets, moving the ship, etc until somebody on a team yells out 'fire 1!' or 'fire 2' (depending on how many torpedoes they want to fire) at which point everyone puts their hands up and resolves the action.

So far, I have yet to play a round of it without everyone instantly wanting to give it another go. Also, in general it's a pretty fast paced game (I suppose it could drag on if both teams were outright terrible, but that hasn't happened to us yet).

For those that care, one possible issue with the game is it would be very easy for people to cheat with their dice since everyone is engaged in their own mini game and would likely not notice. Also, some people might feel pressured by the 'hurry up let's go' nature of the game (sort of like Space Alert) and might not appreciate their teammates screaming at them to load the drat torpedoes already. The varying difficulties of the stations works for my group as a nice way to get people with different board game skill/experience levels involved, but some of the stations are simple enough that they could potentially become boring for an experienced gamer.

Dice Duel is sounding like it might really be up everyone's alley and it isn't that expensive on 401 games either. Only thing I worry about are a couple of sensitive souls that get emotional when being yelled at or accused of being a spy, but we can work around that I think. Has anyone tried the expansion "die fighter" and willing to provide a review/endorsement?

EBag
May 18, 2006

Anyone had a chance to play Pax Pamir or Neanderthal yet? I haven't played any Sierra Madre games yet but they sound interesting from a thematic/historical aspect.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

FulsomFrank posted:

Dice Duel is sounding like it might really be up everyone's alley and it isn't that expensive on 401 games either. Only thing I worry about are a couple of sensitive souls that get emotional when being yelled at or accused of being a spy, but we can work around that I think. Has anyone tried the expansion "die fighter" and willing to provide a review/endorsement?

Where in Canada do you live? I've got a copy of Dice Duel that I want to sell (my GF hates real-time games). I'm in Detroit, but I've got a friend who's dating a girl in Windsor so I'm sure he could send it out the next time he's over there.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

The game really wouldn't be a good fit for someone who doesn't want to be rushed/blamed.

I also don't think it's necessarily a great fit for a static group. We played it a few times then sold it; it felt like we had had the experience, and it was fun, but we didn't need to do it again. If you had different people coming in and out, I think that would help, maybe? Overall, I think of it as a game sort of like XCOM or Ladies and Gentlemen: fun experiences, but with very limited replay.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Took a trip out to CoolStuff yesterday, picked up Codenames, Arctic Scavengers + HQ + Recon, a few expansions for Dominion and Tragedy Looper: Midnight Circle. I'd say I did pretty good.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Hahaha

http://m.toledoblade.com/TV-Radio/2016/01/14/7-WTOL-employees-fired-for-playing-Cards-Against-Humanity.html

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh god I can't wait to hear all about censorship again.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh man, that rules.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Scyther posted:

Took a trip out to CoolStuff yesterday, picked up Codenames, Arctic Scavengers + HQ + Recon, a few expansions for Dominion and Tragedy Looper: Midnight Circle. I'd say I did pretty good.

what the gently caress man, why didn't you hit me up???

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Pretty good advertisement, a game so extreme it'll get u fired!!!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I like that the article says the cards can be "inappropriate" rather than "racist, sexist, and more."

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

EBag posted:

Anyone had a chance to play Pax Pamir or Neanderthal yet? I haven't played any Sierra Madre games yet but they sound interesting from a thematic/historical aspect.

Gonna get my Pax Pamir played maybe this weekend. I'll let you know what I think.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Fire everyone who plays Cards Against Humanity.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

what the gently caress man, why didn't you hit me up???

Well it was a surprise trip, my wife told me we were going to Universal Studios and I was like "Ugh fine."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I played Arctic Scavengers last night and while the rest of my group was saying that it was a lot better than Dominion, I found that it fell incredibly flat for me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mortley posted:

I feel ya. That could happen for sure. I just feel the need to defend Codenames, especially when it's compared with fundamentally memorization-based games like Scrabble. I do think improvising abstract associations between common words takes more smarts than always remembering that qi is an acceptable spelling in English for some stupid reason. But the kind of thinking Codenames takes isn't easy even for intelligent people.

I kind of concur, though I wouldn't put it that way - Codenames is very, VERY easy to overthink, and convince yourself that the weird niche interpretation you've argued yourself into is better than the obvious one which is just too obvious.

If you don't spot the niche interpretation at all, it's easier.

EBag
May 18, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Gonna get my Pax Pamir played maybe this weekend. I'll let you know what I think.

I think I may just pick it up anyways, it sounds really interesting and even if I only get a chance to play it a few times, their games seem to retain/gain value really well.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

EBag posted:

Pax Pamir is great and everyone should try it out. It's also very different at different counts, so you should play it at least once at 3p and also at least once at 5p.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Some Numbers posted:

I played Arctic Scavengers last night and while the rest of my group was saying that it was a lot better than Dominion, I found that it fell incredibly flat for me.

Did you play just the base game or with some of the expansions?

The base game is incredibly boring. You need at least leaders + medics + some more added in before it starts getting good.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

arctic scavengers is better than dominion if you're a dumb stupid baby incapable of understanding the player interaction in dominion who always cries about "multiplayer solitaire"

it's one of the least bad non-dominion deckbuilders fwiw though, I don't hate the game or anything.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm gonna cheat and post something from BGG regading FCM. It's been a super busy week. It will be super busy for the rest of the month, so hopefully next month I'll have something for you guys that I wrote.

quote:

I am by no means an expert and wouldn't call myself an experienced player. I have learned the game (with a dummy game against myself), taught it twice and played it 3 times total at counts of 3 and 5 players. I also read anything on this forum that isn't about pimping out your game (food miniatures) or shipping timeframes.

With all of that said, I think it's too simple to say the first 4-5 turns determine the winner. You can't win the game in the first 5 turns, but you can lose it (assuming others aren't making similar mistakes). So here are what I see as viable first turns and why/how they are good starts.

Beginner Strategies:
These are quick and easy to realize... they may not win against better players with longer strategies, but you feel like you are doing something right from the start which is important for new players. You can intentionally DO something and see the results.

Make Drinks / Sell Drinks:
Turn 1: Hire an Errand Boy.
Turn 2: Play your Errand Boy and produce a drink... doesn't matter which, you'll toss it at the end of the round. This gets you the First Errand Boy Played Milestone which boosts your drink production AND gets you the First to Throw Away Food/Drink Milestone (AKA - Freezer). This is great for newer players as you can stockpile food and meet needs across the board when others run out of things. Your 2nd hire is Marketing Trainee with the intention of placing a billboard on the 3rd turn and creating some demand for drinks. You will get 2 drinks from your Errand Boy, so ideally you can place the billboard in a spot to hit 2 houses.

This a very linear strategy. You are setting yourself up to make food/drink and then eventually sell it to house(s) near you. You will probably have to create the demand yourself (via marketing), but beware the First Billboard Placed Milestone (AKA - Infinite Marketing). I can work for you, but it takes experience to play well. Search the forum for many discussions about this milestone and when you should get it. This strategy is quick... you get on the board immediately selling to those houses and you’ll get some income. The challenge is that more experienced players playing for the long game may use your infinite marketing against you and you won’t be well suited to react.

Train ‘Em Up:
Turn 1: Hire a Trainer.
Turn 2: Hire a Kitchen Trainee and train him into either a Burger or Pizza Cook (depends what your opponents are doing). This will get you the very important First to Train Someone Milestone. This milestone covers the first $15 of salaries each round, so you can hire and train employees without needing to worry about income. If you are lucky, you might be able to produce food in the 3rd round and snag the First to Throw Away Food/Drink Milestone (AKA - Freezer)... but you may miss out on that one if others use the strategy above.
Turn 3: Hire Marketing Trainee and train him to Campaign Manager. This will allow you to deploy a Mailbox campaign in turn 4 or train again and get yourself a very early airplane campaign in turn 5. Play your Burger/Pizza Cook and produce food. This will probably get you the First Pizza/Burger Produced Milestone. This gives you +$5 on every sale of that food item. This combined with marketing flexibility (due to that Campaign Manager you have ready to deploy in turn 4) can put you in a commanding early position.

This too is a fairly linear strategy. You are again focused on producing food, marketing it and selling it. The trainer gives you more flexibility to train up a few employees without needing immediate sales. It also lets you keep a lean and experience workforce. You are likely to want to hire and train the same employee in a turn (sometimes not), so you may not have as flexible a workforce as others... but you NEED some training if you ever want to get the higher level employees on your team. At this point in the rounds, you are well equipped to sell Pizza or Burgers to a few different houses. But that’s about it. You can’t get drinks or produce the other food item you didn’t choose... so your hires from here on out will need to keep you competitive as the market changes.

Intermediate Strategies:
Caveat: I have less experience with these strategies, so I’m shooting in the dark a bit... others can chime in and tweak / add new ones.

The challenge in trying to write these out is that they don’t look a lot different than the early strategies... you can’t just ignore the turn 1 or turn 2 milestones... the main difference is probably to do with how tactical or strategic you get after those first few turns where lots of milestones are earned. Generally, more advanced strategies are targeting a mid/long game, so your strategy takes time to evolve. For this reason, I think it would be too prescriptive to list out turn-by-turn plans... rather I’ll target a few key Milestones that make a strategy work.

Big Org:
Hire 2 Recruiting Girls early: This allows you to get the First to Hire 3 People in 1 Turn Milestone. This gains you 2 Mgmt Trainees and you’ll have a larger org than your opponents due to all the hiring you’ve been doing (at this point you should have at least 3 extra employees over a player who doesn’t have any Recruiting Girls). Now you’ll have 4 extra slots so you can play those employees!

Now you have a ton of flexibility. With those extra hires, you should grab some food and drink producers and think about marketing. Maybe you could plan to drop prices with Pricing Manager. You’ll need to sell some food/drink before you can train up all those employees, but you now have a very flexible workforce that can shift toward whatever the game requires. You are also likely going to get to choose your place in turn order for a while with the option to have extra slots. Having a Trainer and Mgmt Trainees also opens up all of the great 2nd and 3rd tier employees including: Junior VP, Luxuries Manager, Recruiting Manager, New Business Developer, etc.

Marketing Genius:
Turn 1: Hire Trainer
Turn 2: Hire Marketing Trainee and train to Campaign Manager. This allows you to get the First to Train Someone Milestone (benefits described above)
Turn 3: Hire a food/drink producer and then train your Campaign Manager to a Brand Manager.
Turn 4: Play your Brand Manager and start an airplane campaign selling the food/drink you can produce and sell without competition. This will get you the First Airplane Campaign Milestone which gives you +2 empty slots when determining turn order. This can be huge on certain turns! You could also hire additional food/drink producers on this turn to supplement your production (this is great when your opponent has set up a billboard selling drinks, but has no burger/pizza production ability... you can hire the Burger/Pizza Cook and then hire an Errand Boy in these later turns so you’re the only one who can meet the full demand... you essentially steal their sale from them it takes a few turns for them to react and you get all the other houses your airplane can reach). Depending on what your opponents are doing, I like doing a short 1-2 turn airplane campaign so others can’t react too quickly. If you do this right, you can rake in the money ($50-$100 per turn) and then shut off the marketing to keep others from adapting. If you are successful, you may be able to nab the First to $100 Milestone which is really important and gives you +50% to all sales for the rest of the game without needing to train many turns to get the CFO card.
As soon as your Brand Manger is back in your org, train him to Brand Director. and deploy a Radio Campaign the next turn. This gets you the First Radio Campaign Milestone. This give your radio campaigns +1 demand... so you’ll be dropping 2 things per house on 9 tiles every turn you keep your radio campaign going. Early in the game if you again use short durations and market things you are positioned to sell, you can really rake in the money.

Now that you have money, you need to deploy your longer term strategy. This may include cutting prices, developing new houses / adding gardens, adding restaurant locations and/or expanding your org to have really big production ability so you can spam houses with demand and be the last one with stuff to sell.

After the first 5-8 turns, it’s really hard to dictate a strategy. Most of the Milestones are gone, so it’s down to your tactics and strategy... reading your opponents and zigging when they zag. Every game will be different between board layout, opponent’s experience and strategy, etc. There is no formula for these turns... you just need to play better than your opponents. Really pay attention to what they are doing and try to predict what they are planning... watch who they hire and think about what that employee will allow them to do on subsequent turns. Pay attention to what they can produce and how much of it. All of these things will influence your strategy and determine who the winner is in the end.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Also I'm going to play the Kemetexpansion tomorrow. Any hints? (or at least I hope to..my initial feelers produced nothing and Kemet sucks with two).

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

deadwing posted:

arctic scavengers is better than dominion if you're a dumb stupid baby incapable of understanding the player interaction in dominion who always cries about "multiplayer solitaire"

it's one of the least bad non-dominion deckbuilders fwiw though, I don't hate the game or anything.

I am a dumb stupid baby, please help me understand the player interaction in Dominion. I've only played two games, I liked it but wasn't quite hooked. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something.

I have not played Arctic Scavengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

EBag posted:

I think I may just pick it up anyways, it sounds really interesting and even if I only get a chance to play it a few times, their games seem to retain/gain value really well.

If you already have Pax Porf or don't want to buy it, they're selling the gameboard at http://sierra-madre-games.eu/index_SMG35a.html

It looks like it will be a big help.