Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

Something of value was lost to Quentin, that's been my point all along

And Quentin Tarantino is not a person you should be going to bat for.

quote:

LOS ANGELES — Film producer Don Murphy is suing "Pulp Fiction" director Quentin Tarantino for $5 million, accusing the movie wunderkind of assaulting him.

In his lawsuit filed in Los Angles Superior Court, Murphy said Tarantino threatened him, then slammed him against a wall and punched and slapped him. As a result of the attack Oct. 22 at the Ago restaurant in West Hollywood, Murphy said he sustained head and hand injuries

He's not a nice person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Effectronica posted:

H8ful 8 was a better movie than Star Wars Episode VII, let's be absolutely clear here.

Sweet Jesus, never occurred to me to say that because.... well, no poo poo, right?

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 15, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Quentin Tarantino offended everybody by calling movie composing a "ghetto" while accepting an award for Best Original Score on behalf of Ennio Morricone at the Golden Globes.
There, now him and Disney are balanced in evil and you can go see TFA.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

And Quentin Tarantino is not a person you should be going to bat for.

He's not a nice person.

So basically by bringing this up, you're just conceding Disney are being total pieces of poo poo in the case I brought up, and there's really no way to dress it up here

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
If punching someone is enough to make it justified to ratfuck them out of greed, I know a shitload of people I should be defrauding.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Also Star Wars: The Force Awakens is much better than Hateful Eight, let's be absolutely clear here.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

Fundamentally I think, you think just because a business does what is best for that business to keep existing, that should be okay, I mean, they could have chosen to take the less viable choice on principle but they didn't so gently caress principles right haha? Like theaters everywhere are in dire loving straits right now so gently caress it, whatever. The theater actually did try to fight it until Disney was like "we will seriously just drop a moneyhammer on your stupid rear end," (this is admittedly according to QT's account but I doubt he'd lie on national radio), then they had to call Quentin and tell him his movie wasn't playing over the holidays afterall. This is not a business that can afford to thumb its nose at the more profitable option, feelings aside, but that doesn't make what happened less wrong or less of a petty and mean moneygrab on the part of Disney which already had the most profitable movie in the world coming out.

When I said "okay" I meant I agree that what happened was wrong. "Can't afford to thumb its nose at the more profitable option" though? Part of percentage deals for movies in general is a basic allowance to keep the theater operational. So, again, I agree, it was wrong, but I am inferring here that you think it was OK for his theater to sell him out. (Y/n)?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

turtlecrunch posted:

Also Star Wars: The Force Awakens is much better than Hateful Eight, let's be absolutely clear here.

Grow a thicker skin, kiddo.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Harime Nui posted:

They didn't have to do this but they basically ruined Quentin Tarantino's christmas. So just as the Vikings got hosed by the hand of God for ruining the christmas of Eli Manning, gently caress these guys.

Are you friends with Tarantino or something? If you're not why are you taking it so personally? Yeah, it's lovely on Disney's part but why are you white knighting for some rich guy that does not know you from Adam? Go see it in 70mm in one the 8 other theaters showing the Road Show in LA.

I saw it in 70mm at the Music Box in Chicago. If I was told I could not see it there I would have gone to see it at the Showplace Icon. It does not effect me one way or the other.

Disney has more clout and they threw their weight around. It sucks but poo poo happens.

E:

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

No, I'm saying you framing this as some sort of Holy War and enacting your own personal one man boycott and then retreating to an internet forum to try to rally others is embarrassing.

Sums it up better than I could have.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 15, 2016

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

So basically by bringing this up, you're just conceding Disney are being total pieces of poo poo in the case I brought up, and there's really no way to dress it up here

No, I'm saying you framing this as some sort of Holy War and enacting your own personal one man boycott and then retreating to an internet forum to try to rally others is embarrassing.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Disney did nothing wrong.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

homullus posted:

When I said "okay" I meant I agree that what happened was wrong. "Can't afford to thumb its nose at the more profitable option" though? Part of percentage deals for movies in general is a basic allowance to keep the theater operational. So, again, I agree, it was wrong, but I am inferring here that you think it was OK for his theater to sell him out. (Y/n)?

Why the gently caress does that matter? Look, I'm calling Disney Bug]sy Moran here, and you're saying "but the theater was Joe Fuxciss! What about Joe Fuxciss! He ran numbers!" Ultimately it's between Tarantino and that theater and I'm sure he'll do business with them again, but seriously who the gently caress cares, Disney's the instigator, Disney's the 800 lb. gorilla, gently caress them.

e: Bugsy Moran, gently caress

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Nobody's defending what Disney did, it was lovely, but all Hollywood is is lovely people doing horrible poo poo to each other all day, every day. There are suspected (and known) rapists, pedophiles, and murderers who are allowed to go about their business because they're popular, powerful, and profitable. Any given movie probably has the most horrific poo poo you can imagine perpetrated somewhere in its production. Are you going to just stop seeing all movies ever? Probably not. So, I mean, excuse me if I don't exactly lose my poo poo over this.

EDIT:

Totbot posted:

Disney did nothing wrong.

Nobody is unironically defending what Disney did.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I'm glad that you're enough of a brandvocate to deride not seeing a movie as embarrassing. It's a hell of a world we live in.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Disney created about %50 of the things I love and bought another 25% of the things I love. And they've taken good care of those things, they can do whatever the gently caress they want.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hateful 8 is boring and stupid, one of his worst - lol at caring about his baby war.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
No, gently caress Disney. It's really that simple.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

Why the gently caress does that matter? Look, I'm calling Disney Busy Moran here, and you're saying "but the theater was Joe Fuxciss! What about Joe Fuxciss! He ran numbers!" Ultimately it's between Tarantino and that theater and I'm sure he'll do business with them again, but seriously who the gently caress cares, Disney's the instigator, Disney's the 800 lb. gorilla, gently caress them.

I am saying only Sith deal in absolutes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Harime Nui posted:

Who's even arguing with you that Disney are pieces of poo poo? Of course they are, what is boycotting Star Wars going to do about it? Make you feel better about yourself?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Basebf555 posted:

Who's even arguing with you that Disney are pieces of poo poo? Of course they are, what is boycotting Star Wars going to do about it? Make you feel better about yourself?

Is that wrong, that I should feel good about myself? Should I flagellate myself a shitload and then see the new J.J. Abrams movie?

homullus posted:

I am saying only Sith deal in absolutes.

Well, that's.... true

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Basebf555 posted:

While personal choices can't overthrow the vampire overlords of late capitalism, wheezing about how ineffectual they are is just childish nihilism. Grow up.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Nobody's defending what Disney did, it was lovely

I'll do it. I'll defend what Disney did. gently caress QT and his fake pity party. And gently caress the people naive enough to not see this as what it is: Quentin Tarantino making a mountain out of a molehill to get press for his movie.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lotta fake cynics in the Star Wars thread.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Tarantino did nothing wrong.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Harime Nui posted:

Is that wrong, that I should feel good about myself? Should I flagellate myself a shitload and then see the new J.J. Abrams movie?

You shouldn't feel good about yourself because you've accomplished nothing and you aren't really standing for any principles here other than the unconditional love of a guy who makes movies.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
From my point of view Tarantino is evil.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I'll do it. I'll defend what Disney did. gently caress QT and his fake pity party. And gently caress the people naive enough to not see this as what it is: Quentin Tarantino making a mountain out of a molehill to get press for his movie.

There's a certain point where cynicism just turns into plugging your ears and screaming a lot

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

From my point of view Tarantino is evil.

I don't like Quentin Tarantino. He's coarse and rough and irritating and he gets everywhere.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Anyway I've said why I'm not seeing the new Star Wars, but I like all the other ones so eat me bitch

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
That's right......... even Attack of the Clones

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

There's a certain point where cynicism just turns into plugging your ears and screaming a lot

Naivete is the path to the dark side...?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Well it's fear, I heard.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Attack of the clones is now owned by Disney. Liking it is literally the same as spitting in our lord and savior Tarantino's face.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Am I morally obligated to watch Roman Polanski's entire filmography to keep from engaging in a one-man boycott against that pedophile rapist, Disney lovers?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Let me school your rear end about the hard truths of the movie business

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Am I morally obligated to watch Roman Polanski's entire filmography to keep from engaging in a one-man boycott against that pedophile rapist, Disney lovers?

A boycott implies there might be tangible results. A fatso on the internet declaring he he won't watch a movie is nothing. It's shouting into the void.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

He didn't try to rally others, he posted his own reasons for not seeing TFA and people jumped down his goddamn throat. People immediately questioned his reasoning, started insulting Tarantino, at least one person implied that they were going to see the movie again to balance the equation from him boycotting.

I don't get why, when someone says "I don't like this, I am going to boycott" complete drat idiots think that their own choices are being challenged. Nobody is saying you are evil for seeing The Force Awakens and supporting Disney, quit acting like dumb assholes and trying to justify Disney's actions goddamn.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Listen, thanks, but what the gently caress are those things in your avatar this has bugged me for like a year

Like I even get the photo reference but WHAT ARE THE YELLOW/PINK GUYS

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

Listen, thanks, but what the gently caress are those things in your avatar this has bugged me for like a year

Like I even get the photo reference but WHAT ARE THE YELLOW/PINK GUYS

Those are Captains Falcon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yaws posted:

A boycott implies there might be tangible results. A fatso on the internet declaring he he won't watch a movie is nothing. It's shouting into the void.

You're really loving dumb, like holy poo poo. Can you dress yourself?

I was referring to the mean-spirited notion that not seeing a movie because of moral qualms is bad and "embarrassing", and you can't even muster up " How dare you compare these things?" What the hell.

• Locked thread