Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think zodar may be a big retard and im not reading any of his essay posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

That's your prerogative, my guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8t5ay0-YU

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

zodar loving owns

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dexters Secret posted:

zodar loving owns

jesus christ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

for sure. i actually recommend u do an sl1 run instead, since you already soloed kos itll still be much easier for you than any of the bloodborne dlc.

I just spent an hour planning this out bored at work. I'm def gonna do this after I play dragon's dogma, I've never actually done a sl1 run. I didn't realize how many embers are available before O&S

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dont post here

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

I just spent an hour planning this out bored at work. I'm def gonna do this after I play dragon's dogma, I've never actually done a sl1 run. I didn't realize how many embers are available before O&S

its not too difficult since you can upgrade armour etcetera. its really easy if you use pyromancy as well supposedly, i did my low sl runs on a wanderer (hunter? the one that starts with the leather shield) though cos i wanted to be able to choose from a few more weapons.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Dexters Secret posted:

zodar loving owns

Yikes, I'm out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

its not too difficult since you can upgrade armour etcetera. its really easy if you use pyromancy as well supposedly, i did my low sl runs on a wanderer (hunter? the one that starts with the leather shield) though cos i wanted to be able to choose from a few more weapons.

I'm excited and may even start it tonight. It's cool that I've played these games for a half thousand hours at this point and I still get excited for them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Although the least I've played of is Dark Souls 1, I've only beaten it once and never touched NG+ in it, but I have beaten the other 3 like 3 or 4 times each, minimum

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

demon and dark souls 1 are really easy to cheese. hell dark souls 1 has a built-in giant sequence break if you choose the master key as your gift or the thief class

Dec 26, 2012

Zodar posted:

Solo O&S is my favorite fight in the series, and since I never bought XBL, that's the only way I ever beat it. I also think they demand more caution and precision than any other fight in the series, in that you always have to be aware of both of them -- this was where I learned to stop locking on, and to manually adjust my camera so they both stayed onscreen -- and time your attacks so Smough doesn't flatten you while you attack Ornstein, or vice-versa. You're moving around the room, minding their positions relative to each other, the pillars and your character, and looking for pauses between two movesets with very different rhythms. It's like a midterm exam of stuff the game teaches you about situational awareness & its combat mechanics.

To be fair I never brought a weapon into the fight that could kill them in 5 hits. The strongest was a +2/3 enchanted great club that killed S in ~7 hits (O has much higher magic resistance), and even then I had to be extra mindful of the stuff above because of how slow that weapon is. I don't know if the BKS is an outlier in terms of damage, I haven't had it drop before the Kiln since 2012.

I think BB's character movement is better suited for the bosses in the main game and DLC, than the bosses in the lower chalice dungeons. I felt like they hit so hard that avoiding their attacks was a higher priority than attacking, and it was much harder for me to do that with the locked dodge-dash than the unlocked dodge-roll. It felt like I had to play around the game's mechanics to succeed, rather than use them to my advantage.

you really don't need to be that actively aware of both of them. just roll whenever you haven't seen one on screen for awhile and that will probably do it. i rarely need to unlock on o+s

anyway it's weird that you're separating playing around with mechanics from using them to your advantage. what's the difference

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the only kind of bummer about the lower depths is that bloodletting's body is too big for the camera, but I still needed to be locked on to use the dash. So it was kind of a sloppy fight

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
My confession is that I never beat dark souls 1. I also never beat dark souls 2 despite getting much farther in it compared to how far I got in dark souls 1.

I've beaten bloodborne on three cycles now.

I was helping a friend last night get started on the DLC and we destroyed Amelia. I mentioned how I didn't need a numbing mist on my last victory on her and we just decimated her. Whirligig with beast pellet did like 7000 damage a cycle.

A guy invaded us in the first area in the hunters nightmare and when we found him he was using the beast claws with the transformation rune. I said, if he wants to be a beast, we'll kill him like one, and I grinded him down with the saw until he died.

We made it to ludwig and god drat I Love that fight. I probably had to attempt it 20 times before I beat him on ng++ but I never thought it was bullshit. I was thinking about how aggressive he is but the little things that turn it from being a really aggravating bait and attack fight into one that you still control.

Without a doubt, the biggest thing is the ability to stagger him. With the scythe, every third hit would stagger him. I think, about 1500 damage would proc the stagger. Sometimes I might only get two hits on him after dodging through his attacks, and then on the next attack cycle my first one would throw him into a stagger, which just gave me so much more breathing room. Breathing room you have to fight for.

Ludwig is a super satisfying fight. I think without a doubt it is one of my all time favorites in Bloodborne.

Like what another guy said up the thread, the rally rewards you for trading the "right" hits, without being like "oh it sucks you are getting whittled down to death before you can finish this area." Especially with how the vials heal you for a percent of your bar and blood bullets can make that even all out. Thematically its just, righteous.

Edit: even getting counter hit just means you need to not be a big baby and be confident that you cannot dodge this attack so you're going to eat it and take less damage than if you chickened out.

The thing that keeps me coming back to bloodborne is that wicked sweet "schwing" the scythe makes when you dodge -> attack

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 15, 2016

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I said, if he wants to be a beast, we'll kill him like one, and I grinded him down with the saw until he died.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Reinstalled Dark Souls 1 and DS Fix. This game looks so good at 60fps

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

those big crisp textures too!! just be real fuckin careful with ladders

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

In Training posted:

Yeah it's insane I didn't install it until demon ruins so I think I might end up doing an NG+ run after I finish just to see the entire game with the cool rear end graphics

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

In Training posted:

The adjudicator is a cool fight. Your post also sums up why I don't really go too far past NG+, anything above that I feel like everything just has too much health and I end up restarting. I hope DSIII has the DS2 style NG+ where enemy locations got remixed.

The scaling past NG+1 is really small. NG+7 is only 20% extra health/damage compared to NG+1 IIRC

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Queelag with just a +5 Battle Axe is gonna be a fun fight.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The insect like students that you fight at byrgenwerth look like small amygdalas, especially if all their insect eyes were popped and dry like amygdala's. Also, their little wing like arms look more similar to the tentacle on the amygdala club than anything else.

Oh hell even the tail looks the same.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the hunter's nightmare really take place in the past or distant future like I it is

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think it's the past fragmented further and further back. First area with the river of blood and Ludwig is likely the recent past, then it gets into whatever experiments were being done to patients at the asylum, then to the root: where those experiments originally came from.

A hunter is a hunter, even in a dream

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

frank.club posted:

Does the hunter's nightmare really take place in the past or distant future like I it is

its hard to say. the ancient amygdala corpses make it seem like the future. but the beach with kos and the big leech whale is supposedly where the healing church began, and the source of all the parasites and hosts you find in the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think each area you get deeper into the DLC is further and further into the past, t least that's how I felt

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

In Training posted:

I think each area you get deeper into the DLC is further and further into the past, t least that's how I felt
it makes the most sense because otherwise maria dropping her katanas doesn't click very well.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

its a dream that hunters fall into when theyre bloodlust overcomes them.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Vulich the Subtle posted:

it makes the most sense because otherwise maria dropping her katanas doesn't click very well.

ive been working on getting that now, holy poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tumor looking batty posted:

ive been working on getting that now, holy poo poo

It's harder than kos to me, and the only time in my entire time playing the game that i cheesed it (aggroed the guy from the cliff and poisoned him and then hit him with a shaman bone once the other guy became active)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
from what i can tell when he runs over to the other guy, if you dont follow him, hell eventually give up and come back. then the other guy will drop down after you kill him. better than fighting 2 at once

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the shaman bone blade works there

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

i dont agree with much if any of that. you can take out smough and ornstein in roughly 5 hits each with a +4 black knight sword in dark souls, which u can easily have by then. they dont have enough health, its not the other way around. and the dodging in bloodborne is really good, ive never heard anyone say its bad or a "liability". and im reasonably sure the iframes are the same in bloodborne and dark souls. personally i think youre literally just qqing because you got stuck a bunch of times

i don't like the watchdog cuz he looks stupid and is sort of janky and weird

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

made in china

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

the fanart for bloodborne is p good

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I like this one a lot

http://gillytin.tumblr.com/post/137229454502/bloodborne-new-game-moon-noodle-hunter-edition

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Padre Gascan? This Spanish localization is cool as hell!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I easily defeated the 2 hunters before blood letting beast but the beast owned me. Can he be gun parried? Or should I use my 2 axe. Getting too close to him is a bad idea but he moves so fast that he's hard to hit with the slower attacks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

tumor looking batty posted:

the fanart for bloodborne is p good

:smith: Her sister's corpse gets me everytime.

Also this is the best spanish dub:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyUArTDYYVc