Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

How can you say the plot has no payoff if you haven't finished it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's like how you know Lost was never going to have any payoff from the first episode because it is intrinsicly BS from the get go. If there is a payoff it would have to be mindblowingly amazing to for how dire the rest of it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

It's like how you know Lost was never going to have any payoff from the first episode because it is intrinsicly BS from the get go. If there is a payoff it would have to be mindblowingly amazing to for how dire the rest of it is.

The show really is not made-up-as-it-goes-along BS though. The plotline that goes through the show is unarguably rushed but it leads pretty naturally to the ending that happens. It's not an amazingly mind-blowing ending that redefines the show but it's an actual ending with payoff for plot arcs. (It probably should have been 15 minutes longer but that's a different issue...)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't understand the complaints that G-Reco is toyetic, like half of the backpacks don't even have toys, same with the rest of the suits in the show. also you're watching Gundam, complaing about toys seems misplaced

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dogsicle posted:

i don't understand the complaints that G-Reco is toyetic, like half of the backpacks don't even have toys, same with the rest of the suits in the show. also you're watching Gundam, complaing about toys seems misplaced

G-Reco is pretty toyetic, it introduces a whole lot of new designs which *could* be made figures even if they're not actually figures. That is, however, pretty much Gundam in a nutshell.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

dogsicle posted:

Especially because the constant introduction of robots actually makes sense and works with the themes and characters of the show. They don't know what they're doing, they keep churning out these unstoppable murder bots and then setting them aside because they literally don't understand what they're creating and the destructive power it has.

Also, lol at the G-Self pulling out "super robot BS" when, aside from the photon torpedoes, I'm pretty sure every thing it can do can also be done by at least one previous Gundam.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean i would be fine if they cut the tricky pack, green pack, neodu (even though i love it), and the suit manny used. otherwise i think the different suits work well as visual representations of the factions or origins (for characters like Ringo and Kerbes). and then you have the later hyper-individual suits that are crazy wmd-level stuff and that's fine.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

oohhboy posted:

G-Reco ain't a show that yells about a mystery box every other episode, it's very upfront wrt what it's trying to accomplish even from the early episodes.

Comparing it to Lost in that regard is weird!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched and greatly enjoyed Gundam Build Fighters which is a literal toy commercial. You never wished death on the cast like I do for G-Reco. It had clear goals and were clever about achieving them.

Taking Newtypes as far as they did was a mistake they shouldn't have done back in Zeta. Unicorn's ending was BS outside of the box itself. Just because they did it in the past it doesn't mean they should do it now especially since everything about it and how it is being used are pure rear end Pulls. Episode 13 when for "Reasons" they attack the moon ships G self waves and stops all incoming attacks. Sudden energy bubble. Re-entry mist.

The different colours for the suits and ace customs might have worked if you care at all about the cast, but I don't. I don't know who half the cast are at this point and I don't think it even matters. I care more for Reccoa Londe even though she is a monstrous person doing what she did for the most asinine of reasons(Thanks women hating depression era Tomino!).

I compared it to Lost in the sense there isn't going to be a payoff and you could tell from the first episode, not because of mystery box.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Plus there's not anything that doesn't make sense (though personally I think that criticism is bull most of the time), there's definitely a method to all the madness going on in the show.

But at any rate if you're not enjoying it halfway into the show it's better to cut your losses

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Taking Newtypes as far as they did was a mistake they shouldn't have done back in Zeta. Unicorn's ending was BS outside of the box itself. Just because they did it in the past it doesn't mean they should do it now especially since everything about it and how it is being used are pure rear end Pulls.

Except none of that is Newtypeism. It is the result of incredibly advanced technology. There is Newtype stuff in G-Reco but it's actually very limited. Pretty much every single thing you see in G-Reco is just a really advanced beam weapon or beam shield.

It's very much akin to the Moonlight Butterfly where technology has become incredibly advanced and devastating (which is something the UC was going towards no matter what.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 15, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

I compared it to Lost in the sense there isn't going to be a payoff and you could tell from the first episode, not because of mystery box.

Dude, there absolutely is a payoff. The show is nothing like Lost. I'm not sure what you're expecting here.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

oohhboy posted:

The different colours for the suits and ace customs might have worked if you care at all about the cast, but I don't. I don't know who half the cast are at this point and I don't think it even matters. I care more for Reccoa Londe even though she is a monstrous person doing what she did for the most asinine of reasons(Thanks women hating depression era Tomino!).

You not paying attention isn't a fault of the show

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

This really should be the tagline of G-Reco

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Call it magic, newtype powers or technology, the problem is that it's use became asspulls , it ungrounded the shows and it stops being clever whenever it goes super robot. I don't mind the newtype stuff when it comes to empathy, telepathy, enhanced reflexes and spacial awareness. G-Reco is really bad at it as to presents some tactical situation that must to resolved then just pulls out random super power because. It's terrible writing.

Droyer posted:

I went back and rewatched the first 10 episodes and it not because I wasn't paying attention, it is because I don't care for these characters in the slightest. It's the show's fault.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Characters honestly have pretty basic motivations in G-Reco

Half of them are attempting to break the status quo in such a way that they end up on top. Most of the rest are trying to break the status quo without causing a terrifying war. A few are attempting to uphold the status quo but without much luck because the status quo is already irrevocably broken.

Bellri is one of the latter and through his interactions becomes someone who feels differently. Aida is relatively static because she has a stated motivation and sticks to it. Everyone else is just jockying for position in an ever-changing world with the exception of Cumpa whose goal is explicitly to break the status quo wide open in order to prevent humanity from becoming stagnant.

oohhboy posted:

It ungrounded the shows and it stops being clever whenever it goes super robot

What do you mean 'ungrounded in the shows?" because Gundams having advanced new technology that allows them to do seemingly impossible things that are far beyond the spec of regular mobile suits is pretty much a defining feature of Gundam. Only a small handful don't have that and they tend to be shows where the idea is explicitly they're not those kind of robots. If you mean it isn't grounded in G-Reco then that's explicitly not true because G-Reco's setting revolves around having advanced absurd technology.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oohhboy posted:

Call it magic, newtype powers or technology, the problem is that it's use became asspulls , it ungrounded the shows and it stops being clever whenever it goes super robot. I don't mind the newtype stuff when it comes to empathy, telepathy, enhanced reflexes and spacial awareness. G-Reco is really bad at it as to presents some tactical situation that must to resolved then just pulls out random super power because. It's terrible writing.

The G-Self having a ton of abilities that manifest when needed is absolutely intentional. If Bellri knew what he was doing, and what he was capable of with the G-Self from the beginning, he could've just slaughtered the Amerian army in an hour. The revelation of the G-Self's power goes along with Bellri and the other characters coming to understand how bad war is, and why it should be avoided.

Caros
May 14, 2008

oohhboy posted:

I went back and rewatched the first 10 episodes and it not because I wasn't paying attention, it is because I don't care for these characters in the slightest. It's the show's fault.

I hate G-reco as much as any man alive but it really isn't worth it. I mean that in regards to both watching and arguing about it.

Just enjoy IBO and try to forget G-reco happened.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

oohhboy posted:

You've described literally what they do with newtypes in G-Reco! It's mainly something that comes up in the second half and it's not a huge factor, but it's primarily on the empathy factor instead of being better at piloting robots.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
G-Reco is loving complete garbage and it's insane that people in this thread try to defend it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Chickenfrogman posted:

G-Reco is loving complete garbage and it's insane that people in this thread try to defend it.

I too find it difficult to understand that people can like different things.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
G-Reco dropped a colony on my hometown.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't know what it is about G-Reco that compels insane overreactions but I wish I could harness that power.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The storied history of G-Reco criticisms....

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
G-Reco is the Zabi family of Gundam.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chickenfrogman posted:

G-Reco is the Zabi family of Gundam.

The Zabis are compelling characters so heck, I'll take it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
When I was a child, my house suddenly set on fire and we lost almost everything. I saw Bellri staring at my burning house at a nearby house with his grin, watching my life burn down before me. I knew it was him that set the fire.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

I too find it difficult to understand that people can like different things.

I can tell, since you're still saying anyone who dislikes the show wasn't paying attention. :v:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I like G-Reco but will admit part of that was because of how pretty I thought it was

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think if the guy doesn't care about the characters, that's fine and obviously would impact their enjoyment. it's weird to have watched and rewatched so much of the show and say you didn't retain stuff as simple as who the characters were though.

personally, the crazy stuff the G Self did always seemed like an obvious furthering of "war is frightening and these people know nothing about it" so i don't really agree that it is super robot-y or ungrounded. i also don't really get at what point G-Reco was considered grounded (enough) for the G-Self to shatter that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

G-reco definitely suffered by cramming a battle in nearly every episode, pretty as those fights may be.

Also having important plot info in background conversations is never a good idea.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

G-reco couldn't grip me but I never felt the urge to post about how bad it is and how people misled me by saying how much they liked it.

There's a lot of charm throughout the work and if it appeals to you, I imagine you'll be more willing to engage with it and pay attention to all the out-of-focus stuff that actually turns out to be important and feel rewarded for paying attention, further justifying that engagement. I didn't stick around but I could see how it would manage to build a cult following in spite of itself.

Then again, I'm also the kind of guy who actually really liked all the silly sitcom nonsense in the first half of ZZ so I can honestly say that charm and personality goes a long way. The fact that in the West, it was derided for years as some sort of black sheep of the franchise is just baffling to me. But I think G Gundam going on Toonami did a lot to help fix that, mostly by introducing a bunch of new blood to the English-speaking fanbase that wasn't treating Gundam like a very serious and important milsci landmark.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

G-reco couldn't grip me but I never felt the urge to post about how bad it is and how people misled me by saying how much they liked it.

There's a lot of charm throughout the work and if it appeals to you, I imagine you'll be more willing to engage with it and pay attention to all the out-of-focus stuff that actually turns out to be important and feel rewarded for paying attention, further justifying that engagement. I didn't stick around but I could see how it would manage to build a cult following in spite of itself.

Then again, I'm also the kind of guy who actually really liked all the silly sitcom nonsense in the first half of ZZ so I can honestly say that charm and personality goes a long way. The fact that in the West, it was derided for years as some sort of black sheep of the franchise is just baffling to me. But I think G Gundam going on Toonami did a lot to help fix that, mostly by introducing a bunch of new blood to the English-speaking fanbase that wasn't treating Gundam like a very serious and important milsci landmark.

I feel that ZZ being derided for so long for so many years ultimately helped it out a little, since when it became more widely available people would still check it out expecting the worst and instead they got a pleasant surprise.

And for another example, Turn A was largely ignored for such a long time but now it's genuinely considered a classic.

Despite the bungled English release of G-Reco I think it has a decent shot at undergoing a similar change in attitudes over the years. Time helps out with a lot of things.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Srice posted:

I feel that ZZ being derided for so long for so many years ultimately helped it out a little, since when it became more widely available people would still check it out expecting the worst and instead they got a pleasant surprise.

And for another example, Turn A was largely ignored for such a long time but now it's genuinely considered a classic.

Despite the bungled English release of G-Reco I think it has a decent shot at undergoing a similar change in attitudes over the years. Time helps out with a lot of things.

I feel like Moon Moon was the acorn of an idea that grew into the tree that would become Turn A Gundam so I'm glad the weirdness in ZZ exists.

It'll be interesting to see how opinions of G-Reco shake out over the years. Didn't it have a disproportionately large amount of fans among the older female demographic when it aired?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It'll be interesting to see how opinions of G-Reco shake out over the years. Didn't it have a disproportionately large amount of fans among the older female demographic when it aired?

yes
a fanbase that existed early in the show, but can't have been hurt by the episode where all the guys exercise and the Megafauna captain gets naked

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

yes
a fanbase that existed early in the show, but can't have been hurt by the episode where all the guys exercise and the Megafauna captain gets naked

C'mon, don't pretend like they weren't all there for Klim.

along with the rest of the audience

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

C'mon, don't pretend like they weren't all there for Klim.

along with the rest of the audience

he's not my first pick, is all
funny dude though

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
G-Reco needed some space to breathe a little bit, but also I didn't like any of the characters and it almost felt like I had no point of reference to ground myself within the story. Other than looking like people, everyone in G-Reco were basically aliens in the way they acted, so it was very hard to have any pathos for their actions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
G-Reco is amazing (though not perfect, it needed a few more episodes to breathe and a few less battles) and people who hate have bad taste.

Like, more than half of the complaints about G-Reco are nonsensical and the rest are weird over-reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

G-Reco is amazing (though not perfect, it needed a few more episodes to breathe and a few less battles) and people who hate have bad taste.

Like, more than half of the complaints about G-Reco are nonsensical and the rest are weird over-reactions.

Please don't do this. I agree that g-reco is good but going "if you disagree with me you have bad taste" just leads to arguments.