Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Intel&Sebastian posted:

1) are you 12?

I mean, you're talking to the kid who pretended to be a professional shoplifter, posted a bunch in TCC, then went into GIP claiming he was starting police academy soon. He's just a kid who likes drugs and likes to lie on the internet. You guys are arguing with someone who's world scope doesn't go much beyond high school and his mom's basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The arrest doesn't really cap any of my complaints. If the FBI didn't arrest one of these dorks driving a stolen refuge vehicle to the local safeway then we all might as well join up.

Taking a fruit hanging so low that its making a crater doesn't prove anything and from the description of life in town this week their wait-and-see gamble doesn't sound so harmless.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

WampaLord posted:

Pop quiz, how much time do you think "And theft of electrical services" adds to all the other charges that they would be charged with?

Theft of electrical services is actually defined as "Theft of Utility Services" for one, For two it's not the electricity that's the concern. It's how it's being utilized. The militants and their resident IT expert ISIS Sympathizer David Fry has been accessing federal records and misusing government property to make websites for these people. The crime of stealing electricity is minor in the scope of things. However if the feds turned off the free power then these militants may not continue to commit other crimes because of this fact. If every time the FBI found a drug dealer and arrested them instantly there would be no point. The little guy doesn't matter in the long term. What matters is allowing them to further perpetrate crimes that will actually nail them. I highly doubt if the militants had to use a generator to power everything they would be too concerned with anything to deal with computers.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Grem posted:

I mean, you're talking to the kid who pretended to be a professional shoplifter, posted a bunch in TCC, then went into GIP claiming he was starting police academy soon. He's just a kid who likes drugs and likes to lie on the internet. You guys are arguing with someone who's world scope doesn't go much beyond high school and his mom's basement.

In that case I restate my wish that he stays and jokes around, with less vitriol and more earnestness. Just no more fantastical law lectures.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Goddamit

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

LeoMarr posted:

Theft of electrical services is actually defined as "Theft of Utility Services" for one, For two it's not the electricity that's the concern. It's how it's being utilized. The militants and their resident IT expert ISIS Sympathizer David Fry has been accessing federal records and misusing government property to make websites for these people. The crime of stealing electricity is minor in the scope of things. However if the feds turned off the free power then these militants may not continue to commit other crimes because of this fact. If every time the FBI found a drug dealer and arrested them instantly there would be no point. The little guy doesn't matter in the long term. What matters is allowing them to further perpetrate crimes that will actually nail them. I highly doubt if the militants had to use a generator to power everything they would be too concerned with anything to deal with computers.

Oh for fucks sake.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ChlamydiaJones posted:

I wonder if this is going to change things.

ronpaul_its_happening.gif?

I hope this guy immediately begs for a plea deal and offers to sell out everyone else.

kartikeya posted:

edit: And oh yeah, they're not going to cut the power because that would also 'escalate things'. FFS.

It would also cut power to some families in the area apparently. If so, then it's not worth it because the narrative would be huge for the militia.

LeoMarr posted:

I don't think this has been realized yet but the FBI doesn't really give a gently caress about their power consumption. The more they do the more charges will be racked up. They want an iron clad case. Shutting off the power means the militants can't steal the power anymore, so how can you convict them of a crime they can't commit? Continue to steal the power and gently caress up land and take poo poo. The more they do the more years they get. Ammon Bundy is just about at the point where he may never see the light of day again with the amount of time he has racked up. The more the merrier. And with how LEOs are conducting themselves they just nabbed a guy with 2 federal vehicles in his constructive control no shots fired no power dropped no blockades.

You think the FBI gives two shits about something like electricity consumption? :psyduck:

The feds don't waste time on minor poo poo like that. They will focus on the numerous serious actions taking place, like ripping up that section of fence and stealing government-owned vehicles for personal use. "These guys are using some electricity" isn't what they're going to use in a courtroom. Plus leaving the power on (aside from aforementioned reasons) removes any sort of "look how much we suffered we were hurting and desperate" pity party by these assholes. The idea they'd give two shits about this is like saying a DA is going to go after a murder suspect for jaywalking too.

Or to put it more clearly:

Sword of Chomsky posted:

You are so loving stupid it hurts. Just stop posting your dumb ideas.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Cops could have pulled me over at any time. But instead they decided to chase me a while.

I'm sure the judge will throw the evasion charges out.

Wait.

This is starting to sound really SovCit-ish.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

chitoryu12 posted:

After losing one of their guys to such a stupid mistake, I can't see them doing it again.

Oregonlive just updated the story to say "no one from the refuge encampment appeared to show up at the scene of the arrest, but word spread through the compund and some of the occupiers hopped in cars to head toward town when they heard"

So yes, they are that stupid.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/01/15/first-bundy-militia-member-arrested.html?source=TDB&via=FB_Page

Oh, see I'm late to the party on this one.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Evil Fluffy posted:

The feds don't waste time on minor poo poo like that. They will focus on the numerous serious actions taking place, like ripping up that section of fence and stealing government-owned vehicles for personal use. "These guys are using some electricity" isn't what they're going to use in a courtroom. Plus leaving the power on (aside from aforementioned reasons) removes any sort of "look how much we suffered we were hurting and desperate" pity party by these assholes. The idea they'd give two shits about this is like saying a DA is going to go after a murder suspect for jaywalking too.

You quoted me saying

I don't think this has been realized yet but the FBI doesn't really give a gently caress about their power consumption.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Intel&Sebastian posted:

In that case I restate my wish that he stays and jokes around, with less vitriol and more earnestness. Just no more fantastical law lectures.

I'd rather he make a jackass of himself about law than make more racist comments so whatevs

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't buy the idea that its impossible for the FBI of all people to cut power to one remote set of buildings without affecting people 30 miles away but whatever.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

It's been pointed out that the guy arrested might not even have been part of the militia but another anti-government guy looking to take advantage of the situation. He has a history: https://law.resource.org/pub/us/case/reporter/F3/116/116.F3d.487.96-30168.html

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I bet they only arrested Budda because they have a rock solid case against him. Getting a felony while on probation is a pretty big deal.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

As a Millennial I posted:

It's been pointed out that the guy arrested might not even have been part of the militia but another anti-government guy looking to take advantage of the situation. He has a history: https://law.resource.org/pub/us/case/reporter/F3/116/116.F3d.487.96-30168.html

But how do you get ahold of a BLM truck with their little homemade govt logo taped to it if you didn't at least visit?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't buy the idea that its impossible for the FBI of all people to cut power to one remote set of buildings without affecting people 30 miles away but whatever.

It's not the people 30 miles away, it's the people next door.

Ninkobei posted:

I bet they only arrested Budda because they have a rock solid case against him. Getting a felony while on probation is a pretty big deal.

This also gives the press the opportunity to cover his prior conflict with law enforcement, involving stockpiling explosives and homemade grenade tripwires.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If they had guys go to the site, they could cut power to just the one. From the power station or whatever, they'd knock off power for neighboring ranchers as well.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Ninkobei posted:

He was the passenger in a car that was pulled over because the driver had a warrant. Turned out that he had one too. It wasn't a federal thing, and he's out already.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

many johnnys posted:

If they had guys go to the site, they could cut power to just the one. From the power station or whatever, they'd knock off power for neighboring ranchers as well.

Just send the power company out no need to get law enforcement involved.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think the gummi bears may have been one of the packages in that fedex truck, depending on what time zone the timestamp on that tweet was. Says it was sent out for delivery at about 1 PM Oregon Time.

I hope they aren't just categorically rejecting amazon packages

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Here's the guy getting arrested for stealing the trucks

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Torpor posted:

Just send the power company out no need to get law enforcement involved.

Oh yes, send a bunch of unarmed civilians to sneak past all the paranoid men with guns to fiddle around with their power lines.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
The Feds appearing super mad about the power would be somehow very fitting for this clusterfuck.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Here's the guy getting arrested for stealing the trucks

I like that the guy on the other side of the truck looks like he's talking all sorts of poo poo.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh yes, send a bunch of unarmed civilians to sneak past all the paranoid men with guns to fiddle around with their power lines.

Is the power company privately owned? If so, the freedom-loving militiamen should step aside and let them do as they will with their own power lines.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Is the power company privately owned? If so, the freedom-loving militiamen should step aside and let them do as they will with their own power lines.

It's still dangerous and you know it.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

many johnnys posted:

It's still dangerous and you know it.

No poo poo. Just having some fun with their Constitutional Logic. There's a rumor among the locals that they want to take hostages to try and trade for the Hammonds.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Here's the good poo poo. The guy arrested in those photos? Was out of jail awaiting trial for building a cabin in a National Forest in Washington. A booby-trapped cabin. The only term of his release was that he not "occupy federal land."

Unfortunately the driver of the second truck thwarted efforts to arrest him by going inside the grocery store. Seriously.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unfortunately the driver of the second truck thwarted efforts to arrest him by going inside the grocery store. Seriously.

Maybe there is something to this sovcit magic word nonsense if that worked.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The article says that the second guy was in the store already by the time the police got there. It's stupid hard to prosecute someone for driving a vehicle if you don't catch them driving the vehicle.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Here's the good poo poo. The only term of his release was that he not "occupy federal land."

I hope the cops are giving him an astounding amount of piss for that. "YOU HAD ONE JOB. ONE. JOB. AND STILL YOU hosed IT UP. BUT HEY THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE LIKE YOU DO, YOU gently caress UP AT ALL TIMES DON'T YOU"

Grem posted:

The article says that the second guy was in the store already by the time the police got there. It's stupid hard to prosecute someone for driving a vehicle if you don't catch them driving the vehicle.

That's why cops like to chase people and states have to pass laws outlawing high speed chases. Hell, even in my backwards-rear end state the cops will break off a chase if they pass 100 MPH (160.934 KPH/86.8976 KTS) and just have aircraft follow the fucker.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 16, 2016

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I hope our heros form a rescue party.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Edgar posted:

I hope our heros form a rescue party.

I hope they form a donner party

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FAUXTON posted:

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

I hope they form a lemon party.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grem posted:

If only they could check his pockets for the car's keys or something. I'm sure he left no evidence in the vehicle either.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Larch posted:

I hope they form a lemon party.

They certainly have enough supplies to make it a hell of a lemon party

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Grem posted:

I'd like to believe that two FBI nerve centers with two weeks of secretive set up might at least be able to produce a photo of who freely drove out of the armed occupation and into town in a stolen fed vehicle but I think its more likely they loaned him their safeway club card when he found out the 4 Mountain Breeze 12 packs for 8 dollars just4u coupon didn't load properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

kartikeya posted:

edit: And oh yeah, they're not going to cut the power because that would also 'escalate things'. FFS.

"Impeding these armed lunatics protesters in any way is far too much of a risk. We prefer not to escalate from our stern warning phase." The FBI

• Locked thread