Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

I'm loving the Daniel Faust series so far. I'm halfway through the second book-- but the first one was so good I bought the rest immediately.

I got pretty burnt out on them by number 5 or whatever. It felt like Faust had some pretty major plot armor by the end, which really killed any kind of suspense, and some of the plot lines got kind of ridiculous.

I've been enjoying Alex Verus more than Daniel Faust, for what its worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I think Pendergast is a good choice for contemporary urban fiction (with some mysticism/magic) if you enjoy Dresden Files. Also helps that it is 16 books long with 7 supplemental novels as I tend to get bummed out by these types of books when I catch up with a series.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thank you whoever brought up The Library At Mount Char a while back, I really enjoyed it.

The Fool posted:

I just started reading "The Magicians"

I thought the first one was great.

The way I originally (wrongly) interpreted the ending left me suprised that there would be a sequel, and I disliked the second one enough to not bother with the third.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Thank you whoever brought up The Library At Mount Char a while back, I really enjoyed it.

I thought the first one was great.

The way I originally (wrongly) interpreted the ending left me suprised that there would be a sequel, and I disliked the second one enough to not bother with the third.

Third one was okay. Literally tied up every loose end, book was still 'serious' but basically provided a happy ending for everyone.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I think Pendergast is a good choice for contemporary urban fiction (with some mysticism/magic) if you enjoy Dresden Files.
Pendergast? Like Preston/Child?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Was looking up some info on that Dresden War Cry comic (basically was it any good) and found a compliation of info revealed about Peace Talks: http://ssbookreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/PeaceTalksInformation.html

It seems a little out of date, and is missing one tweet I saw once that was maybe a joke or something, but reasonable info nonetheless.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yay: My wife is going to start reading the Dresden Files

WTF: She bought Storm Front for the Kindle. I already have three physical copies of this book...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
paper is dead man

i prefer it though

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

bowmore posted:

paper is dead man

i prefer it though

The advantage of my physical books is that if worse comes to worst, I could sell some of them to pay the bills for a while. Let's see all these fancy Kindle people do that!

I'm quite fond of my Kindle Voyage.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So I got around to reading "The Rook" and I really enjoyed it. We've all read "main character has amnesia" stories, but I can't recall ever having seen this variation before. Having Myfanwy being guided by her former self was a great way to do exposition, and the fact that she doesn't in the end recover all her memories and revert to the original character was nifty.

Really, my only complaint was that I'd gotten used to coming into a series late. I'd only started reading the Dresden books this year, in fact. As such, I'd gotten used to being able to pick up the next book in a series immediately, and having to wait sucks.

Which, I suppose, is as strong of an endorsement as I can make in favor of the book's quality.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

Really, my only complaint was that I'd gotten used to coming into a series late. I'd only started reading the Dresden books this year, in fact. As such, I'd gotten used to being able to pick up the next book in a series immediately, and having to wait sucks.

It's been like five years since The Rook came out, hasn't it? I think it stands alone well enough, but it's a big sequel gap!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's been like five years since The Rook came out, hasn't it? I think it stands alone well enough, but it's a big sequel gap!

Almost exactly four years, with the sequel "Stiletto" scheduled for June of this year. So in that regard I chose wisely, because I only have to wait half a year instead of four and a half!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah, I just caught up on the Iron Druid, Rivers of London, and the Libriomancer series and all 3 have new books coming out soon so I got lucky there. I started the first Daniel Faust book last night and can't put it down so I'm glad there's already 5 out.

Also, the kindle version being less than a dollar was great.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

The Fool posted:

London Falling was a fantastic book, I thought the sequel was noticeably worse.

The first book just has such a tight arc and memorable antagonist, it's hard to follow that up. That said, I think there are a couple standout moments from the second book even if the overall product is a bit weaker.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Ornamented Death posted:

Yay: My wife is going to start reading the Dresden Files

WTF: She bought Storm Front for the Kindle. I already have three physical copies of this book...
Yeah, what a silly. The only true way is the sweet sweet voice of the Marsters in your ears.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hypnolobster posted:

Yeah, what a silly. The only true way is the sweet sweet voice of the Marsters in your ears.

Audiobooks hold no interest for me. I stopped wanting someone to read books to me once I learned how to read them myself.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Daric posted:

Yeah, I just caught up on the Iron Druid, Rivers of London, and the Libriomancer series and all 3 have new books coming out soon so I got lucky there. I started the first Daniel Faust book last night and can't put it down so I'm glad there's already 5 out.

Also, the kindle version being less than a dollar was great.

A propos Libriomancer and Kindle - why the gently caress is there no Kindle version of the new book yet? I'm not buying a hardcover at 19 €/17 $. I don't have the space nor would I pay that much money for what I consider a fun, but second tier series.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ornamented Death posted:

Audiobooks hold no interest for me. I stopped wanting someone to read books to me once I learned how to read them myself.

Yeah, who'd ever want to be entertained by a book while driving or running or doing anything other than sitting still?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah, who'd ever want to be entertained by a book while driving or running or doing anything other than sitting still?

Me? Which is why I specified that they hold no interest for me. You can do whatever, man. Go wild.

Though your post does further confirm my bias that people who listen to books lose something in the comprehension department :v:.

quote:

A propos Libriomancer and Kindle - why the gently caress is there no Kindle version of the new book yet? I'm not buying a hardcover at 19 €/17 $. I don't have the space nor would I pay that much money for what I consider a fun, but second tier series.

I see both Unbound (the latest book to come out) and Revisionary (the next one due out) available to buy/preorder for Kindle.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 15, 2016

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Me? Which is why I specified that they hold no interest for me. You can do whatever, man. Go wild.

Though your post does further confirm my bias that people who listen to books lose something in the comprehension department :v:.

There someone on this page who needs help in the comprehension department, certainly.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The only bad thing about the Dresden audiobooks is that there are only so many ways Marsters can say "What?" and "Go! Go! Go!" before your brain dies

Incoming audiobook snobbery roundabout derail aside, I had a thought about the faerie-make thorn manacles, and how they probably weren't magnetic and could fit on Dresden while he was in an MRI machine, which could be a cool chapter

Also it somewhat evades the 'why doesn't Harry put a pair on and then go on the internet' with the incredible discomfort thing, but you'd think they'd have invented a painless one by now

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

The Fool posted:

I just started reading "The Magicians"

There are a lot of valid complaints about The Magicians. If you really hate the first book, don't bother with the rest. If you make it through the second, it's definitely worth continuing on to the third, which ties up all of the loose ends and brings the story to a satisfying conclusion.

I feel like it's a series where it matters a lot where you are in your life when you read them. I was generally in situations similar to Quentin in each of the books when I read them, and being able to identify with him on that level papered over a lot of the issues that people have. Quentin is a huge immature jerk who can't connect to anybody and feels shiftless and purposeless when he graduates from college. If you weren't a huge jerk from the years of 18 to 22 and dove into your life with purpose after you graduated, then you did a way better job of growing up than I did.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Coca Koala posted:

There are a lot of valid complaints about The Magicians. If you really hate the first book, don't bother with the rest. If you make it through the second, it's definitely worth continuing on to the third, which ties up all of the loose ends and brings the story to a satisfying conclusion.

I feel like it's a series where it matters a lot where you are in your life when you read them. I was generally in situations similar to Quentin in each of the books when I read them, and being able to identify with him on that level papered over a lot of the issues that people have. Quentin is a huge immature jerk who can't connect to anybody and feels shiftless and purposeless when he graduates from college. If you weren't a huge jerk from the years of 18 to 22 and dove into your life with purpose after you graduated, then you did a way better job of growing up than I did.

I really enjoyed The Magicians. I had a rocky start with it, mostly because of the Narnia is real shtick. However, once I got over that, it got pretty good. I really enjoyed the portrayal of adult magicians outside of the school. Especially Alice's parents, and then also the kids after they graduate. I mean, as an adult that can do magic, what do you do with your life when there's no monsters to fight?

I have no interest in reading the sequels however, and thought that the ending was a few paragraphs too long.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Ornamented Death posted:

I see both Unbound (the latest book to come out) and Revisionary (the next one due out) available to buy/preorder for Kindle.

I'm going to assume you're in the US. For some reason there isn't a European release.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I didn't ever bother with audiobooks either until I started driving 20+ hours a week. Now they're a godsend. I can only listen to so much SportsTalk while the Texans and Rockets suck.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Daric posted:

I didn't ever bother with audiobooks either until I started driving 20+ hours a week. Now they're a godsend. I can only listen to so much SportsTalk while the Texans and Rockets suck.

Join the dark side, be a Spurs fan.

Any time I'm in for a long drive I make sure to have an audiobook with me, even if it's a book I've read already.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

apostateCourier posted:

Join the dark side, be a Spurs fan.

Any time I'm in for a long drive I make sure to have an audiobook with me, even if it's a book I've read already.

I really like that a lot of the books sync up with Kindle as well. If I own both, I can stop the audiobook and when I open the Kindle version it'll be right where the audiobook left off. And there's a lot of books where you just get more from having the author read it. I listened to Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari, Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman, and Yes, Please by Amy Poehler and you just get so much more from it by hearing their voices. Also, sometimes they deviate from what the actual book says and tell other stories.

If anyone is looking into audiobooks now, here's a tip. Audible sells credits for like $33, which makes them $11 a piece. These are good for 1 book, no matter the price. So if you wanted to get a $26 audiobook, just buy the 3 pack of credits and you've saved $15.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Daric posted:

And there's a lot of books where you just get more from having the author read it. I listened to Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari, Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman, and Yes, Please by Amy Poehler and you just get so much more from it by hearing their voices. Also, sometimes they deviate from what the actual book says and tell other stories.

That's pretty awesome actually. I might have to check some of those out.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ornamented Death posted:

Me? Which is why I specified that they hold no interest for me.

You really shouldn't read and drive at the same time dog

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just posting a quick PSA that the latest Iron Druid and Libriomancer books are worth getting if you can get them cheap.

Iron Druid (Staked) has a lot of really good "Shut the gently caress up, gently caress you, Atticus!" moments in it from other characters, and the time spent in the story from the POV of other characters makes the much shorter periods from Atticus's POV bearable. There were a few cringe-inducing moments, but nothing anywhere near as bad as the previous books, so yeah. It was a little cathartic and the author seems to be doing a little better about things.

The new Libriomancer book pulls some spells from Small Favor to solve some problems this time, and I figure that might be worth the price of admission for Dresden fans.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wade Wilson posted:

Iron Druid (Staked) has a lot of really good "Shut the gently caress up, gently caress you, Atticus!" moments in it from other characters, and the time spent in the story from the POV of other characters makes the much shorter periods from Atticus's POV bearable. There were a few cringe-inducing moments, but nothing anywhere near as bad as the previous books, so yeah. It was a little cathartic and the author seems to be doing a little better about things.
What's the POV distribution? I can kinda stomach Atticus and his archdruid is cool but whatshername tends to put me to sleep.

As fsor Libriomancer, what's the amount of dryad creep in this one? That really turned me off books 2 and 3.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

anilEhilated posted:

What's the POV distribution? I can kinda stomach Atticus and his archdruid is cool but whatshername tends to put me to sleep.

As fsor Libriomancer, what's the amount of dryad creep in this one? That really turned me off books 2 and 3.

I'd have to go back and read it again, but I seem to think the Archdruid actually has the greatest portion of the story this time, with Atticus and Granuaile having the smaller bits. Though Granuaile's story this time is actually more important than Atticus's tripe as He is basically all about the vampire war, while the Archdruid's story is about setting up a new grove of druids and the first few days of teaching actual child characters, Granuaile's side-story is about figuring out a way to get rid of the mark Loki put on her while staying away from Atticus/everyone else.

For Libriomancer, Lena is a very small supporting role at this point, basically functioning as Groot/the Heavy when fights are going on, with only occasionally referencing the creepy relationship bits. She kind of has her own life going on and is only drawn into things because she's someone Isaac seeks out whenever a crisis starts happening.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you're looking for simple entertaining YA fantasy the Mageborn series is probably a step above if maybe around iron druid.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

M_Gargantua posted:

If you're looking for simple entertaining YA fantasy the Mageborn series is probably a step above if maybe around iron druid.

I'm currently reading the 4th Daniel Faust book, I just finished Staked and I'm going to get the new Libriomancer book tomorrow. I'll start that next.

I'm also listening to the Mistborn series on audiobook and I'm closing in on the end of the 2nd book. I had started to read this series a long time ago and just couldn't get past like 1/3 of the way into the first book but now that I'm doing audiobooks I really can't wait to drive or go to the gym just to listen to it. It's so good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Daric posted:

I'm currently reading the 4th Daniel Faust book, I just finished Staked and I'm going to get the new Libriomancer book tomorrow. I'll start that next.

I'm also listening to the Mistborn series on audiobook and I'm closing in on the end of the 2nd book. I had started to read this series a long time ago and just couldn't get past like 1/3 of the way into the first book but now that I'm doing audiobooks I really can't wait to drive or go to the gym just to listen to it. It's so good.

In that case just read everything Sanderson. You've got plenty on your plate without having to dig into random things I found on amazon for $3.

I'd much rather recommend you read Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone. Or The Book of the Fallen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

M_Gargantua posted:

In that case just read everything Sanderson. You've got plenty on your plate without having to dig into random things I found on amazon for $3.

I'd much rather recommend you read Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone. Or The Book of the Fallen.

Yeah, this thread introduced me to Max Gladstone's Magical Lawyers Craft Sequence and I'm loving the poo poo out of the series.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, this thread introduced me to Max Gladstone's Magical Lawyers Craft Sequence and I'm loving the poo poo out of the series.

If you like Gladstone's work, you should check out the two CYOA games he wrote for Choice of Games, Choice of the Deathless and The City's Thirst.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Man I just finished up that 20 Palaces stuff and now I'm sad there aren't more of them. Why would a publisher drop them when they publish so many other terrible books?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ramadu posted:

Why would a publisher drop them when they publish so many other terrible books?

The author actually wrote a blog post that explains that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So I have to somewhat ashamedly admit that I've read the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. If you haven't read it, the female protagonist is the stereotypical dreck that seems to abound in this genre. However, I stuck with it because I really like the use of Native American mythology in it. Are there any urban fantasy books that have a similar backdrop that aren't quite so bad?