Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Renounced posted:

Can anyone recommend an application that would allow me to have an on-screen display of my wheel and pedal telemetry? I'm trying to figure out why I'm so bad at this game.

It's not pretty (I would say it's ugly as sin) but this might well be what you're after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

njsykora posted:

It's not pretty (I would say it's ugly as sin) but this might well be what you're after.

This is far more than I hoped for actually, since I was really hoping something would let me review when the suspension is bottoming out (which this seems to do). And it works without any problems. Very cool mod, thanks.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Renounced posted:

This is far more than I hoped for actually, since I was really hoping something would let me review when the suspension is bottoming out (which this seems to do). And it works without any problems. Very cool mod, thanks.

If you have a android tablet or phone, dashmeterpro works with Dirt.

Ishwoo
Dec 27, 2007
*Amusing Text*

Renounced posted:

I second this. The Stratos is incredibly fun, and Mid-engine. Despite the way it initially feels, it's got a really good balance between power and suspension stability. But nothing will teach you how to left-foot brake faster early on.

I never knew how fun this car was until I started driving manual, I get better times in this than any other car despite being sideways/diagonal for 90% of the stages

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Norns posted:

If you have a android tablet or phone, dashmeterpro works with Dirt.

That's pretty cool. But I was just using it to overlay the telemetry to sync up with replays.

Ishwoo posted:

I never knew how fun this car was until I started driving manual, I get better times in this than any other car despite being sideways/diagonal for 90% of the stages

That's how you're suppose to drive a mid-engine rally car, isn't it? :derp:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Renounced posted:

That's how you're suppose to drive a mid-engine rally car, isn't it? :derp:

That's how I drive all rally cars.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So I tried playing with a borrowed G25 a couple times and I'm finding it loving impossible. I mean "not even being able to complete a single event in the Cooper" impossible. I know that it's basically like trying to learn the game from the start again, but I honestly feel like I have less control with the wheel and pedals; it very well may be that I had the pedals in a weird position or that I'm just too used to handling acceleration with my hands (motocrycle rider), but throttle control and braking seemed binary instead of smooth. :(

I went back to a pad and blasted through the first stage of a rally, only to get to Greece on the second and be forced to restart a bunch of times because I was taking a curve sideways and my rear tire would nick a pebble and catapult me over the edge. :argh:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Some potentially big news for Dirt Rally. Maybe co-op rally? :ohdear:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Oh good internet assholes reading course notes. "Right 6" *Turn is actually left acute*

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

No way they have wanted co-op rally for their other games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Interactive animals? By interactive I mean exploding.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

SinineSiil posted:

No way they have wanted co-op rally for their other games.

It's something he wants (the IRL co-driver) and "our games" doesn't necessarily mean all Codemasters games, could just be in the context of the Dirt series.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Jehde posted:

It's something he wants (the IRL co-driver) and "our games" doesn't necessarily mean all Codemasters games, could just be in the context of the Dirt series.
I also refuse to believe they have wanted to implement such extremely niche feature to previous Dirt games.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

SinineSiil posted:

I also refuse to believe they have wanted to implement such extremely niche feature to previous Dirt games.

Again, it's just the co-driver dude saying he wanted it.

One can hope.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I want to do a Dirt 3 bro gimmick codriver now. Just scream about uploading this sicknasty filth to Youtube and completely ignore calling out turns.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Seriously though co-driver mode doesn't really seem that great of an addition or some kind of hard sell to make for 5 years because its literally just voice chat unless he's talking about some kind of mode where the player talks to an AI driver which reacts to it (which I don't think is very likely).

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

buttcoinbrony posted:

Oh good internet assholes reading course notes. "Right 6" *Turn is actually left acute*
Presumably you'd only do it with friends and not totally random strangers.

Kibayasu posted:

Seriously though co-driver mode doesn't really seem that great of an addition or some kind of hard sell to make for 5 years because its literally just voice chat unless he's talking about some kind of mode where the player talks to an AI driver which reacts to it (which I don't think is very likely).
There's also connecting two players together online (hopefully, suck to be exclusive to side-by-side play) and adding a codriver UI of sorts (to give the calls). Maybe a custom calls system too, letting you adjust the pace notes as the co-Driver, but also letting you tune the existing pace notes if you want to for single player.

Seems like a fairly hard sell for the prior Dirt games in that the co-Driver was pretty much unnecessary in them to begin with.

Doubt I'd get much use out of it unless one of my friends, none of which have been willing to even get the game :smith:, wanted to co-Driver it up. Further signs of continued development on Dirt Rally is the more alluring point for me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Paul Coleman having done actual rally makes it 100% believable that he's pushed for co-op rally before. Else I cant think about anything else he would've wanted for 5 years.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Unless I'm mistaken in a normal non-videogame rally the pace notes would be written by both the driver and codriver then tested and corrected before the actual race, with no two drivers having exactly the same notes. If you wanted to do that then you already could just using voice chat. If they want you to just read of their notes I don't really see how that adds anything to game at all except the ability to yell at your codriver when he screws up, especially since they probably won't have the timing queues down.

I mean it's cool that they looking to add it, it just seems like an extremely niche addition without much actual practicality.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Note to self: your brain cannot yet handle driving the Project Cars Formula C for two hours and then immediately hopping into the Lancia Stratos.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
On the flip side going to a more serious game after playing Dirt turns it into a snap oversteer on pavement simulator.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

njsykora posted:

Paul Coleman having done actual rally makes it 100% believable that he's pushed for co-op rally before. Else I cant think about anything else he would've wanted for 5 years.

Anime liveries.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

One minute I'm king of poo poo mountain and then slowly I get lazy and loose and RARRGH! I feel like I end most sessions of this game in disgust... :D

Qmass fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 13, 2016

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Qmass posted:

One minute I'm king of poo poo mountain and then slowly I get lazy and loose and RARRGH! I feel like I end most sessions of this game in disgust... :D

I think the trick is to quit before becoming mentally fatigued. I get about two events in, then I just can't manage more than lazily responding to pace notes which ends up a disaster 100% of the time.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

The gravel plough

(I came 2nd lol)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Can't keep a Subie down!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Kennel posted:

Anime liveries.
There are already mods for that. :unsmigghh:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

One of my favorite corners (EMBEDDED WEBMS!)

https://fat.gfycat.com/InsecureAnotherAfricanporcupine.webm

What are yours?

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 14, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I like the left 3 (I think?) D/C over crest in Greece, I always make sure to cut it hard and clear the gap entirely so I can stay flat-out.

Also doesn't look like it's co-op rally:

Paul Coleman posted:

"I don’t want to give too much away but I should probably clarify that it isn’t a massive feature but it is something pretty special that will add something quite poignant to DiRT Rally that has been missing from the series for a long time."
Probably something more related to the old CMR series. Might be as simple as adding McRae's name back to the series' titles?

Also there likely won't be any patches, fixes or content, until a mega patch that will come with console releases in April.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 15, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Geuffron Forest. Right 6, left 6, into bumps

right 4.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Also all those super banked hair pins in the Welsh forests, always feel great.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would be totally 100% fine with it just being renaming the game Colin McRae Dirt Rally or even CMR5.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Gossip thread seems pretty convinced that it's just the censored 555 livery for the group A impreza.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jehde posted:

Gossip thread seems pretty convinced that it's just the censored 555 livery for the group A impreza.

I would say there's roughly zero chance of that happening for a variety of reasons starting and ending with having a tobacco brand in your game. Also Codemasters never really had a connection to Richard Burns, if it was going to be a licenced livery it would almost certainly be the 2001 Focus.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Martini focus livery is another option, but that would have the same issue of advertising alcohol in a game. However I mentioned the censored version for a reason. The UK has the same rule with respect to sports, so they made a specially censored version of the 555 livery for the Wales GB rally.

Censored versions of Martini liveries show up in a few games too, like Gran Turismo. I think both of the censored liveries are in CMR2 actually. The gossip thread seems set on the 555 livery though for whatever reason.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 16, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The alcohol advertising rules are less strict than the tobacco rules though, mainly in that it's still allowed rather than banned outright. A quick bit of research says the tobacco advertising ban came in in 2003 including sponsorship of sporting events, and CMR2,0 was 2000. I'd assume more with the Martini thing that it's more not wanting to pay to use the brand when you can just throw on the stripes and everyone into racing will recognise it immediately.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The stripes themselves are licensed actually.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Jehde posted:

Censored versions of Martini liveries show up in a few games too, like Gran Turismo.
Sega Rally had the real one, none of that "Lancia Racing" crap. Of course, if you were playing the Saturn version you generally couldn't tell what the blob of pixels said anyway. :v:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Like most goons I've got an embarrassingly huge steam library. Despite that I've noticed I've been playing this game almost exclusively lately, even if I just log in to do the daily run. I love this game. Do we have a goon league or anything?

Edit: the only thing I found searching leagues was one called "goon squad" with one member.

pik_d posted:

Its in the OP, literally the second line. Seems inactive though.

Edit Edit: Ha, so it is. Sorry, I guess I'm used to skimming further down OPs for that kind of thing. I'll join up and see if anything is happening.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

InterFaced posted:

Like most goons I've got an embarrassingly huge steam library. Despite that I've noticed I've been playing this game almost exclusively lately, even if I just log in to do the daily run. I love this game. Do we have a goon league or anything?

Edit: the only thing I found searching leagues was one called "goon squad" with one member.

Its in the OP, literally the second line. Seems inactive though.

• Locked thread