Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I've only 6k. Who gets cured and who gets fired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

widespread posted:

I've only 6k. Who gets cured and who gets fired?

Nobody gets fired. Just send the afflicted guys on a "retirement" run into the dungeon with zero supplies.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

If you have room in your roster, just hire and leave them there. There's no cost in just letting stress decay over time, which is one of the changes I really like. It encourages a large roster instead of "A-team" "B-team", and "Suicide Run".

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Bleu posted:

If you have room in your roster, just hire and leave them there. There's no cost in just letting stress decay over time, which is one of the changes I really like. It encourages a large roster instead of "A-team" "B-team", and "Suicide Run".

But the afflictions stay over time, right?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Internet Kraken posted:

Leper is my least favorite class by a mile. He's completely useless if he gets moved into the back 2 rows and has no way to move forward. He can't attack anything that isn't right in front of him. He's not even that strong since his attacks have a good chance of completely whiffing. It seems like everything he does, the abomination can do better.

I barely ever use him so maybe there's a way to secretly make him awesome but he just seems so underwhelming.

Yeah. Leper was really cool, but then the Man-at-Arms came out and surpassed him a thousand times as a damage sponge, which leaves the Leper competing with the infinitely more flexible Crusader and Hellion for the spot of front row damage dealer. Guy really needs a self-mark+prot buff or to merge his heal/stress heal into one move or something.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

widespread posted:

But the afflictions stay over time, right?

Afflictions vanish when stress falls to 0, this works in missions as well but good luck dropping it while fighting.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How am I supposed to do these level 3 runs? My guys are all geared up and I'm still get beat before completing objectives.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Leper is my least favorite class by a mile. He's completely useless if he gets moved into the back 2 rows and has no way to move forward. He can't attack anything that isn't right in front of him. He's not even that strong since his attacks have a good chance of completely whiffing. It seems like everything he does, the abomination can do better.

I barely ever use him so maybe there's a way to secretly make him awesome but he just seems so underwhelming.

This is it exactly. You'd expect that given all of his handicaps he would at least be really, really good at the things he's specialized for but he's actually merely competent at best at dealing damage. The Crusader has vastly more flexibility and utility and has comparable average damage when you figure accuracy in. The Hellion has outright superior damage and still has way better utility. Withstand and Solemnity make for an ok punching bag but that's not the world's most useful role when you can't draw hits. Intimidate is too unreliable to be all that useful and Purge is the answer to a problem other classes don't have in the first place. Revenge is in the running for worst skill in the game.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DrManiac posted:

How am I supposed to do these level 3 runs? My guys are all geared up and I'm still get beat before completing objectives.

Adjust your tactics, your gear, or your class loadout. It's pretty hard to say what you're doing wrong with zero information.

General tips if you're struggling: always keep torch at 100, bring max allowable food for out-of-combat healing, bring herbs to clear debuffs (and in the Warrens, to get even more food), bring at least one stunner with some +stun gear.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Iron Chitlin posted:

Afflictions vanish when stress falls to 0, this works in missions as well but good luck dropping it while fighting.

Camping is the key. Although the only time I was able to do it was with a Crusader whose camping ability is actually boosted by being afflicted. Afflictions also vanish when they get back from the Abbey or Tavern even if their stress isn't healed to zero.

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is it exactly. You'd expect that given all of his handicaps he would at least be really, really good at the things he's specialized for but he's actually merely competent at best at dealing damage. The Crusader has vastly more flexibility and utility and has comparable average damage when you figure accuracy in. The Hellion has outright superior damage and still has way better utility. Withstand and Solemnity make for an ok punching bag but that's not the world's most useful role when you can't draw hits. Intimidate is too unreliable to be all that useful and Purge is the answer to a problem other classes don't have in the first place. Revenge is in the running for worst skill in the game.

I feel like the fix is in taking out Intimidate or Purge and giving him something that hits farther back or making his current attacks hit like a loving truck, like making them ignore Protection or something so those front runners with high prot have some other weakness than dealing DoT to deal with their massive health. That way he's still bad against poo poo like Rabid Canines and stands out from the other hard hitters but I dunno maybe that's too powerful for a hard hitting class.

Lyrax fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 17, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lyrax posted:

Camping is the key. Although the only time I was able to do it was with a Crusader whose camping ability is actually boosted by being afflicted. Afflictions also vanish when they get back from the Abbey or Tavern even if their stress isn't healed to zero.

afflictions go away in town once the characters stress goes below 100

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Afraid of Audio posted:

afflictions go away in town once the characters stress goes below 100

In town anyway, right? To get them to go away before returning to town, you have to drop stress to 0, no?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

BeAuMaN posted:

In town anyway, right? To get them to go away before returning to town, you have to drop stress to 0, no?

correct, but if an afflicted party member comes back to town with less than 100 stress they'll instantly lose their affliction

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I'd fire everyone who is level 0 with stress. They couldn't get through 1 dungeon, show them the road.

If you're geared up and skilled up level 3 dungeons are perfectly do-able (I've done several with only level 3 armor and level 2 weapon/skills). What comp are you taking, to where, and walk us through a fight. Chances are either you have a bad comp for the area, or you are approaching a fight poorly (caused by lower level dungeons being easier).

I honestly think the way to fix leper is to give his attacks -prot riders. Apart from hound master marking there are no other ways to reduce prot, and stuff in the front often has higher amounts. This reinforces his brute force mentality while giving him some tools to do it. Probably add a +forward to his self heal/buff abilities to give him something in the back that isn't worth less than nothing. His push skill needs another 20-25% chance base as well, to counter the higher move resists poo poo in the front has.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Afraid of Audio posted:

correct, but if an afflicted party member comes back to town with less than 100 stress they'll instantly lose their affliction

Oh really? I'll keep that in mind :D

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah, a Leper with The Yips. excellent.

why is The Yips an affliction and not a disease

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Afraid of Audio posted:

I was pretty sure about how afflictions go away but you seemed to make some sort of sense and I think I saw sources elsewhere supporting it. But when I loaded up my game, I noticed my latest Arbalest off the wagon has this status.

I know I've seen this before because I've often had multiple crits calming afflicted guys down below 100. I don't ever remember not having to get rid of an affliction when I got back to town but I've never left someone with below 100 stress and an affliction to see if they just get better by next week without the Tavern or Abbey. A bug maybe?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is there any way to see the turn order? Also, is it possible to fail this game permanently? It looks like the dungeons are progressing in level and I can't tell if that's making them harder and I'll be screwed if my good heroes all get killed

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
No (by design) and no (mostly by design)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"I really shouldn't use this dark altar after that bandit ambush hosed up my nice setup, but I want too see what it does already!"

Oh. Hm.

I didn't even know heart attacks where a thing.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lyrax posted:

I was pretty sure about how afflictions go away but you seemed to make some sort of sense and I think I saw sources elsewhere supporting it. But when I loaded up my game, I noticed my latest Arbalest off the wagon has this status.

I know I've seen this before because I've often had multiple crits calming afflicted guys down below 100. I don't ever remember not having to get rid of an affliction when I got back to town but I've never left someone with below 100 stress and an affliction to see if they just get better by next week without the Tavern or Abbey. A bug maybe?

huh might need a week of being below 100 in town before the affliction goes away, could have sworn it was otherwise

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Doesn't the game say, outright, that the only way to cure an afflicted hero is via stress treatment in the Hamlet? The only other way I know of is to lower the hero's stress to zero in a dungeon.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
this is a thing: https://soundcloud.com/powerupaudio/sets/darkest-dungeon-the-ancestral

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That whole thing is worth listening to just for those last two bonus tracks.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Olive Branch posted:

Doesn't the game say, outright, that the only way to cure an afflicted hero is via stress treatment in the Hamlet? The only other way I know of is to lower the hero's stress to zero in a dungeon.

It certainly used to. Did they change it?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Bad Seafood posted:

Mods please thread name to Dankest Dungeon.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

owns

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bad Seafood posted:

the ancestor was just trying to get the stickiest of the icky :350:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What do you think the experimental vapors are?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

ah, a Leper with The Yips. excellent.

why is The Yips an affliction and not a disease

Huh?

It is a disease, at least it was last time I saw it.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
It's a Quirk right now, Weird, but it is.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

just a phase I went through in college

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Soothing Vapors posted:

just a phase I went through in college

:golfclap:

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Caravan stop giving me Jesters and Graverobbers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love Bounty Hunters, so naturally I splatted my only one in this run so far against the Necromancer (which was actually fortunate as he'd turned abusive and was quickly turning everyone crazy) - but now of course the Caravan won't provide any more, and it's been weeks!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Phrasing posted:

Caravan stop giving me Jesters and Graverobbers.

At least they'll laugh their way to the grave.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gimmick team of graverobbers, highwaymen, jesters, that solely use Gallows Humour and Mockery on long dungeons

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Rotating Finale/Inspiring Tune Jesters kinda works right up until the point where OH poo poo it doesn't any more.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-mXN3akTPU

new enemies towards the end
also holy gently caress did Darkest Dungeon rake in those gaming prizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

paradoxGentleman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-mXN3akTPU

new enemies towards the end
also holy gently caress did Darkest Dungeon rake in those gaming prizes.

:stare: Those smiles are pretty fuckin creepy. Wasn't sure what I was expecting from the Darkest Dungeon but I don't think it was that.